As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Kinder, Gentler Social Entropy

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    some people can get away with saying frankly horrible shit here because they have like

forum tenure or something

this is what i have learned

TrapCard-ForumRoyalty.jpg

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    tynic wrote:
    gentler????

i want no part of this
    gotta get me some rough

pinch

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Silmaril wrote:
    Tam wrote:
    let's discuss moral philosophy
    what is moral philosophy

its bullshit.

no I don't want to discuss moral philosophy's bullshit
    just moral philosophy

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So who is current forum princess

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    i learned through this forum that if you start a post with "lol if" or "lmao if" you are a worthless dweeb

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    yo momma so stupid when she heard it was chilly outside she ran out with a bowl

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kochikens wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    gentler????

i want no part of this
    gotta get me some rough

pinch

kochi let's go down to the truck stop and pick up some bears

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I personally find humor that is used at inappropriate times more funny, but yeah Rolo, sounds like your boss is just a douche.
    lostwords wrote:
    in the end, the love you get is equal to the love you give, mang

the beatles have it right, acing like a douche just creates an echo chamber of douchitude

also pm dongs/butts/boobs plz

I'm pretty sure that's actually the lost final lyric to "Let It Be"

• Options
    How about oral philosophy?

I feel that will include more people

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    yo momma is so fat
    yo momma is so fat, that she is on both sides of yo family

• Options
    PolecatPolecat What does the polecat say? Registered User regular
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    let's see, touchy morality stuff?

i think i should be bothered when people talk casually about rape in a videogame context ("oh man you just got raped" "i'm gonna rape you" etc) but i am not actually bothered by it

the best argument i've heard for why it should bother me is that even if i and all of my friends are morally upright people capable of distinguishing between the concepts "this is ok to joke about" and "this is ok to actually do", it's likely that not everyone i interact with will be. ie at some point, if i laugh at rape jokes, i am going to laugh at a rape joke along with someone who genuinely has crazy ideas about what kind of behavior is ok, and he will interpret my laughter as me being on his side.

edit so what i'm saying here is that this (along with the possibility that such jokes could be triggering for someone) is enough to make me realize, rationally, that those jokes are probably not ok. but i still don't have that as a gut feeling the way i do with some other concepts--i have to force myself to realize "hey, this is a rape joke, and you remember what you decided about rape jokes, right?" it isn't gut-level, even if it makes sense to me in my head. i think this might be in large part because of the relative invisibility of rape victims within our society: i probably know someone who's been raped, and i'm sure i've met many, but it's not made visible the way issues of race + sexual orientation + stuff often are, so i'm not as aware of my audience

redhead on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    So who wants a spanking?

• Options
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    yo momma is so fat
    yo momma is so fat, that she is on both sides of yo family

actually, that doesn't work.

because in fact I've known quite a few rather skinny women who are technically parts of both sides of their respective family trees, sir.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    So who wants a spanking?

oooh me!

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    So who wants a spanking?

Photoon2011-01-25at2139.jpg

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    look at that slut I hope she dies

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    tynic wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    gentler????

i want no part of this
    gotta get me some rough

pinch

kochi let's go down to the truck stop and pick up some bears

tynic no offense but...

i dont think i could lift you!!
    i can't even lift my friend who is almost legally a little person!!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Silmaril wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    I would agree that thanks to these forums I am more aware of bigotry than I have ever been.

I'm also not sure that you can't laugh with friends. I suppose it depends on where you draw the line?

I.e. once at a dinner table with a friend and her dad we somehow (I forget how) started off on dead baby jokes, and it was hilarious. But dead baby jokes are certainly not always appropriate or funny.

Not appropriate, but always funny.

It was great because her father was this tall, very distinguished-looking grey-haired gentleman in an expensive suit and with a posh accent.

And then he says, what is red and blue and underwater

• Options
    Look, I have this tiara and I need to know which princess to hand it to.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    redhead wrote:

i think i should be bothered when people talk casually about rape in a videogame context ("oh man you just got raped" "i'm gonna rape you" etc) but i am not actually bothered by it

the best argument i've heard for why it should bother me is that even if i and all of my friends are morally upright people capable of distinguishing between the concepts "this is ok to joke about" and "this is ok to actually do", it's likely that not everyone i interact with will be. ie at some point, if i laugh at rape jokes, i am going to laugh at a rape joke along with someone who genuinely has crazy ideas about what kind of behavior is ok, and he will interpret my laughter as me being on his side.

And the possibility of someone else being and idiot/crazy should limit your own way of living?

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I hate a lot of you

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Stale wrote:
    So who wants a spanking?

Sara Lynn wrote:
    look at that slut I hope she dies

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Social Entropy is actually a really "nice" group of people. Look at all the Child's Play donations, Secret Satans, advice threads, etc.

There is just also the twisted humor and brutal sarcasm component to which one should get acclimated.

• Options
    Stay classy Sara.

<3<3<3

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote:
    I hate a lot of you
    That's the appropriate feeling. At least my mom says so.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Stale wrote:
    So who wants a spanking?

Ahahah.

Your patch looks like its been drawn on in MS Paint.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    o, is this a self-referential thread
    hey guys
    we're awesome

we're all awesome

• Options
    yo momma is so fat she fell in love and broke it

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    I would agree that thanks to these forums I am more aware of bigotry than I have ever been.

I'm also not sure that you can't laugh with friends. I suppose it depends on where you draw the line?

I.e. once at a dinner table with a friend and her dad we somehow (I forget how) started off on dead baby jokes, and it was hilarious. But dead baby jokes are certainly not always appropriate or funny.

This basically sums it up.

In the proper setting, horribly offensive stuff can be absolutely hilarious. Just look at some of the best comedians' acts. It's important though that you understand both the audience and the context. If it's meant with actual hatred or ignorance, it probably shouldn't be thought, let alone said.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Look, I have this tiara and I need to know which princess to hand it to.

@Neville.

obviously.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    That was the original patch I got from like, Walgreens or some shit. My fitted one was still being mailed out.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    redhead wrote:

I used to make the occasional "you got raped" quips during games but I have been really put off of them due to a thread I saw (not on this community) about : "if you could rape a girl and get away with it would you do it"
    and a surprising number of people said yes.

Now most of them could have been joking but wow. I just. What? Reading it made me extremely uncomfortable and still makes me uncomfortable.

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So who wants a spanking?

Oh, I see how it is. hmmpph!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote:
    Stay classy Sara.

<3<3<3

keeses

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I find this moral haphazardry dubious at best

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    I'm pretty Neville has graduated to Queendom.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    speaking of which, guess who gets to start wearing his patch again pretty soon?

starting to get migraines again. :cry:

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Druhim, the reason I acted like a bastard wasn't because of what you were saying - which was all true - it was because you didn't remember that one conversation we had where we gushed about exotic fish.

I never thought this forum was inferior, and I knew I was on the wrong side when you posted those gem threads - CT's 3 day lifting chart got me through two years of school - but I was just bitter that I never made any sort of impression on anyone here. I still am, but like you said, it's my problem.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.