As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gamecube to USB converter

PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
So, I'm looking to buy a converter so I can use my Gamecube controller on my PC. I'm looking at this one, but before buying it I'd like to know if any of you people has a reason I shouldn't get this one or get another one.

From what I've seen on another site, it appears it comes with drivers on a floppy disk, but are these drivers really neccesary?

Peewi on

• AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't get that. I bought one, and yes, the floppy is necessary. Some of the games I own can recognize it (EA FIFA games, for instance) while others simply can't (Marvel Ultimate Alliance). Just spend the extra five or ten bucks to pick up a regular PC controller, which'll net you a couple more buttons and an actual second thumbstick. Trust me.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I kind of agree. It works OKAY. It's really cheap, too. Well, I got mine for $20 AUD. But I never really used it a lot because it didn't work well with newer stuff. The only problem with getting a PC gamepad is that they all seem to suck. Maybe I just never found a good one. Anyway, I'm sure others here know more than me about them....

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't get that. I bought one, and yes, the floppy is necessary. Some of the games I own can recognize it (EA FIFA games, for instance) while others simply can't (Marvel Ultimate Alliance). Just spend the extra five or ten bucks to pick up a regular PC controller, which'll net you a couple more buttons and an actual second thumbstick. Trust me.
    Isn't that essentially what that Joy2Key program is for? Anyway, I have a handful of those PS2 dongles that do the same thing and never had a problem. But I don't know squat about that product, but as for my experiance with dongles, go for it!

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    and yes, the floppy is necessary. .

In that case I definitely shouldn't get one. I don't have a floppy disk drive.

Anyone has any experience with this or this?

Peewi on
  • SealHammerSealHammer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Why would you want to use a GC controller on the PC?
    I mean, why not use a PS2 controller or a Logitech gaming pad.

SealHammer on
    edited June 2007
    SealHammer wrote: »

I have a GC controller. I don't have a PS2 controller. And all of the PC gamepads I've seen has a design that's almost the same as the PS2 controller, but I prefer having the left analog stick and Dpad arranged in the way it is on the GC controller.

Peewi on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Because the WaveBird is the greatest controller ever made.

urahonky on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    According to This site, it looks to be just about your only option for Gamecube to USB

Burtletoy on
  • AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh, I forgot to mention, the SuperJoy Pad or whatever it's called flat out doesn't work with Wavebirds. So drop that idea.

Seriously, just get a PC USB joypad. I know you prefer the GCN controller's layout, as do I, but personal preference should not supercede performance and reliability. It's a different layout. I'm sure you'll manage to cope.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Xbox 360 controller. Best PC Joypad around.

'nuff said.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
    edited June 2007
    Xbox 360 controller. Best PC Joypad around.

'nuff said.

I think I'll look into that too.
    I guess you people are right. Maybe it isn't worth it trying to use my GC controller on my computer.

Peewi on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Because the DualShock has horrible analog sticks and PC gamepads tend to suck horribly. Unless Logitech have done a 180 since last I got burned with their gamepads.

How does the Wii classic controller work out as a PC gamepad?

Glal on
  • rogueleader92rogueleader92 Registered User new member
    hey, guys, if you don't mind sorta switching gears, i have the exact opposite problem from peewi. I have a usb joystick that i absolutely love for flying games. i am looking at rogue squadron 2 and 3, but lucasarts only made them for gamecube. ive been searching the web for a converter from usb to gamecube or wii, but i havent seen anything. thots?

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote:

It works fine, I've never done it on Windows but I doubt you'd have much trouble setting one up. You'd have to use a Wiimote along with it though.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Dritz wrote:
    Glal wrote:

It works fine, I've never done it on Windows but I doubt you'd have much trouble setting one up. You'd have to use a Wiimote along with it though.
    Nope.

Classic Controller to USB, supports two controllers. Let's you switch whether or not the d-pad should report as a POV hat or analog stick (good if you like doujin games). Also pretty cheap ($13 right now, eligible for free shipping).

EDIT: Works as a standard USB controller, you don't have to install the software that comes with it.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    You just performed thread necromancy on a 4 year old thread. :-P The only Gamecube converter I've ever used was a PS2 to Gamecube, and it worked wonderfully. There are inherent problems with trying to hook up a USB Flightstick to a Gamecube, though, as most flight sticks have non-standard inputs. This is looking into custom-mod territory.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • rogueleader92rogueleader92 Registered User new member
    lol. i didnt realize it was that old :D anyhoo, thanks, guys. when hansoo used the term "flight stick" i tried looking through the web with that terminology and got a google search chock full of what i wanted! :D