As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How Is Babby Committee Formed?

Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed VigiloConfidoRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So as of last night, I've been appointed to head up a committee to re-write the Constitution of an organization I'm in.

I have no idea how to form, organize, or chair a committee. First I need to pick 4 other members, according to the president of the organization -- I've got a couple people in mind, but is there anything outside the usual (reliable, intelligent, reasonable) that I should be considering? Do we need Robert's Rules of Order, or can we just be reasonable people? And so on and so forth.

Basically I have no idea what I'm doing, so I hope one of you guys does. :P

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
Gandalf_the_Crazed on

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Generally, when forming a committee the most important thing is to document your reasoning along the way, and the path you are planning on following in selecting the committee and your goals down the road. Document everything.

So your first step should be to write up a statement as to what your committee's purpose is, and then go about detailing out the information you are basing the formation of the committee on (such as having a certified interviewer/notary if this is hire related, or a tech professional if this has IT components). Then detail out who you have selected and write out a brief report on how each will contribute to the committee (nothing too long, just enough to document your reasoning and how it relates to your initial formation).

Then, once you have your committee, document your minutes and have the group set up your future business.

Just be sure to document, document, document.

• Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    Robert's Rules are more for a big meeting with a bunch of people, where they need to have rules about whose turn it is to speak and how to ask to do things. There might be a Robert's section on small meetings but I'm not familiar with one. I would think that a few basic ground rules would be enough - talk in turns, what % of committee need to vote for something to approve it, do you need quorum, etc. The important thing is running the meetings themselves and making sure you always know what you want to accomplish at that particular meeting, you have an agenda to get that task(s) done, and then you follow the agenda.