As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your 10 favorite games of all time. After Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    in no order:

Super Mario Bros 3
    Baldur's Gate series
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Starcraft
    Turtles in Time
    Portal 2
    Majora's Mask
    Team Fortress 2
    WoW
    Super Metroid

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I don't even know why I don't read anymore. I used to love it

I'm gonna blame it on these forums

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Got lolita open in another tab

Will begin reading once my headache subsides

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    I used to push through books thinking I always had to complete them. One of the hardest was Riddle of the Sands, because I read that aged about 13 and it's full of sailing jargon.

Then I realised life was too short and if a book doesn't grab me within the first 100 pages, it doesn't grab me.

And I've never been dissatisfied with not finding out the endings!

boy

if a book doesn't grab you in 100 pages I don't think anyone is gonna fault you for putting that down

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote:
    On the subject of best games ever, the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus boxset is the number one seller in North America and Japan this week. That makes me happy.

what? really? i would not have expected that. i guess nothing else big came out this week.

Yup, which I'm happy about since it beat out Gears of War 3 and FIFA 12.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Janson wrote:
    I used to push through books thinking I always had to complete them. One of the hardest was Riddle of the Sands, because I read that aged about 13 and it's full of sailing jargon.

Then I realised life was too short and if a book doesn't grab me within the first 100 pages, it doesn't grab me.

And I've never been dissatisfied with not finding out the endings!

boy

if a book doesn't grab you in 100 pages I don't think anyone is gonna fault you for putting that down

Yeah, I have that problem with games. If it doesn't snag me in an hour, I'm not gonna play it

which is one of the reasons I can't get into Oblivion or Fallout or any of those

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i have no interest in reading lolita and probably never will!

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    I have never been able to read fiction on a computer screen

I have no idea how people do that

not even just because it is hard to read--all my books are absolutely covered in notes

• Options
    Ubik wrote:

look

everybody knows that sinfest blows

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

not even just because it is hard to read--all my books are absolutely covered in notes

I'm exactly the same. It's why I love my Kindle so much.

• Options

You write notes on your Kindle?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Keith wrote:

You write notes on your Kindle?

Yes.

• Options
    Is that a thing you can do? I've only messed with my parents' kindle for a few minutes

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    I can't read on a pc because I just keep tabbing away

• Options
    Ubik wrote:

look

everybody knows that sinfest blows

yea, i'm preaching to the choir on that one

no one even pretends to like it like they do with jerkcity

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Keith wrote:
    Is that a thing you can do? I've only messed with my parents' kindle for a few minutes

It is, Keith. It would be a shitty substitute for a book if you couldn't take notes on it.

• Options
    wait can you really do that on kindles

that maybe isn't enough to get me to buy one, but is a pretty big deal

• Options
    wait can you really do that on kindles

that maybe isn't enough to get me to buy one, but is a pretty big deal

Yes, you can also highlight passages and such. At least on the version I have, which is the latest version before the newest one.

That was an awkward sentence.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Well it isn't nearly good enough.
    I need to be able to sell my used eBooks on with them retaining all the dongs I drew in chapters three to five for someone else to find.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Nook has note-taking functions, too.

Also, I like being able to highlight a word and check it on the dictionary, they even have proper nouns and people (for example, when reading Wolf Hall I liked being able to click on all the names - Cromwell, Cranmer, Wolsey etc. - to bring up a short biography).

And multiple bookmarks! There are a lot of handy features.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Heart of Darkness is a "literary masterpiece" and I found it totally impenetrable.

e: also agree about reading long stories on computer screens. Turning pages is my motivation.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    sorry jerkcity is legitimately good

• Options
    maybe I'll borrow my parents' Kindle and read a book

what should I read

• Options
    Beasteh wrote:
    sorry jerkcity is legitimately good

nope.avi

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote:
    maybe I'll borrow my parents' Kindle and read a book

what should I read

Gang of Daggers.

• Options
    my skills at Rock Band drums are entirely dependent on how long it's been since I drank an energy drink

• Options
    it's like in the Mega Man cartoon when he'd drink an E-Tank and then rip shit up

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I also really liked section 8 and its XBLA sequel

I get the idea that they're pretty run-of-the-mill shooters and they ain't popular compared to your halos and calls of duty but fuck you I'm gonna spawn on the map by being shot from orbit and I'm gonna jetpack around everywhere and lock on to people and then order a big stompy mech and beat dudes up with it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    I don't really have anything to lose since I'll have forgotten it by 2 years

Here we go

Almost forgot about this
    It looks like there are a lot of conflicted reactions here. I'd hazard a guess that if the developers decided that this was something that they wanted reporters to see and write about, they didn't view it as a major plot point.

Of course some of you don't want to know anything about a game before you play it, which makes these sorts of things troubling.

We do discuss these sorts of issues before running a story and in this case we decided that it makes the most sense to treat the news of the event as the news.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Getting back to kotaku

Someone tried to tell me today that this is Warner Brothers PR's fault

Which is kind of ridiculous. The point of a press event is to get the press excited about the game

Which this did

and you know what, even reporting it is probably fine

But who the fuck puts it on the front page of your site in huge letters. That's blood on journalist hands.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    KaiMai wrote:
    "It looks like there are a lot of conflicted reactions here."

Bullshit, there's only one reaction, and it's coming from pretty much everyone. Don't act like this is some sort of grey area. You guys MADE A MISTAKE, and you need to own up to it.

You can report whatever you want, but there is absolutely no excuse for spoiling a major plot point in an unavoidable article title. You put that shit behind a spoiler warning like every other self-respecting gaming website.

If this was truly a decision made by Kotaku as a whole, then it was a monumentally stupid decision. I ask you to please give me one good reason why a spoiler warning couldn't have been added, and why the article title simply MUST contain the spoiler.

Heliophage wrote:
    Conflicted? To me they look rather consistent and unanimous.

Even if it was a detail that the developers were content with releasing to the public, by no stretch of the imagination does that exclude it from being a spoiler, insofar as it spoils an aspect of the story. Whether you guess as to whether it's a major plot point or otherwise.

The community's reaction here speaks to whether it was a spoiler, by the very fact that we feel the experience was spoiled. The reaction you had when you came to that moment in the demo? We're all deprived of it now. That's what makes it a spoiler.

Some people care more than others for the lack of that moment, but the moment is gone all the same.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Wait

the comments section of the article is... more intelligent than the article itself?

I don't understand

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    indignantly defending one's right to spoil an experience for others: not just for video game forums

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Yeah it really makes no sense.

It's not reporting on some news and being a super journalist guy.

It'd be like saying the ending of a game is just reporting the news. It's not a spoiler, you guys, you just didn't know about it yet.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Well I'm not sure if harder discussion would have lead to a different decision. The people who made the game gave us the news. We reported the news.

I've always felt that spoilers were things not used in the marketing of a game. If a developer is marketing the game with information, that information isn't a spoiler in their mind, one would think.

This was an event created to market the game. So we reported on it.

Guess who's not owning up

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I'm far more uncomfortable with the idea of us needing to self-censor or downplay news disseminated to the press than I am with the idea of spoiling part of the first act of a game. I am in the same boat as you. I didn't play Act 1 either! Is it nice to be surprised? Sure. Is it our job as reporters to not report the most newsworthy things we're told? Or to hide that news? I say no.

this is incredibly stupid

• Options
    I was annoyed at the whole SHEPARD DIES IN ME2 shit, too.

Developers...

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    There seems to be an inability to distinguish between "best" and "favorite" in some cases in this thread.

Like yeah Bioshock is a better game than XCOM but I know which I'd rather go back to

• Options
    someone explain to me what's going on here

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    wow, I guess people really care about this.

VayBJ4e.png
This discussion has been closed.