As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Life is finally good. Simon's first birthday today!

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited January 2013 in Social Entropy++
I don't really want to be the guy who only bitches about shit on here, but... well, fuck me.

My wife has had fatigue and night sweats for over a year, and doctors have just told her that there's nothing to worry about. About a month ago, she noticed swelling lumps between her neck and collarbone. Luckily the doctor she saw this time skipped scans and went right for biopsy. Well, the results came back inconclusive. So they surgically removed some lymph nodes last Thursday.

We went in to get the results a few hours ago and when they sent my daughter out of the room to play with one of the interns, I knew something was wrong. She's got Hodgkin's. I mean, I guess in terms of getting cancer, that's like winning the lottery, but still.

So they can't give her radiation treatment since she's only 24 weeks along in her pregnancy. They're looking at delivering the baby as early as 28 weeks. She'll have to go to Dallas since the neonatal care units here are not sufficient for our needs. In the meantime, I'm less than a year away from graduating so I've got to pull my shit together and get this done, but it means I'll likely be away from her during some rough times.

She and I have been crying together for the past few hours. I knew this was coming, since cancer doesn't run in her family so much as it drives NASCAR.

Sorry for being lengthy and depressing, SE++. I just needed to get that off my chest.

joshofalltrades on

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear that. :(
    Best wishes!

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Damn, man.

Damn.

That's shitty.

TAKE MY E-HUGS <3

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    That's some pretty hard news to hear.

I hope you make it through alright.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Josh, didn't your awesome dog die?

Fuck.

You have the saddest posts.

Hodgkins Lymphoma is the "good" kind though.

It might seem crazy shallow and hollow and stupid, but, try not to worry.

As cancer goes, if you've gotta have cancer, that's the kind you want.

Oh brilliant
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Oh, damn.
    Praying for you and your family.

uc3ufTB.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Josh, didn't your awesome dog die?

Fuck.

You have the saddest posts.

Hodgkins Lymphoma is the "good" kind though.

It might seem crazy shallow and hollow and stupid, but, try not to worry.

As cancer goes, if you've gotta have cancer, that's the kind you want.

Yeah, that was me.

What the fuck did I do, life

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'm so sorry to hear this.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    i'm terribly sorry to hear this

you have my sympathy, concern, and prayers!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    josh, I've known you to be nothing other than a good man. You two will make it through this alright. And you don't have to apologize for anything, you know we're all here for you.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hugs, man. That really sucks :(

• KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    is it good hodgkins?
    im so so so sorry dude :<

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Hopefully they're able to knock it out of the park. Cancer medicine has come very far, or so I'm told. But this really sucks, Josh.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/072011/1311165214_bulldog_in_a__swing.gif

Bulldog in a swing to cheer you up

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    thousands of internet hugs for you

• FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Holy shit, that is... wow.

I don't know what I can say that won't just seem trite or stupid. But we're all here for you, man. If you need help, or someone to vent at, or whatever, this is a hell of a community. We're here for you.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    You have my prayers and sympathy, josh

• BoomerjinksBoomerjinks Denver, ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Goddamn. That is positively terrifying, man. I wish you and your wife all the strength and love in the world. That's awful. :(

You tell 'em I'm postin'! And Hell's postin' with me!
    c3hBq.jpg
    Check out Colorado Movie Cars! It's amazing!
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Oh damn, that's terrible :(

I hope everything turns out all right.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I always feel bad in threads like this because all I can say is "I'm sorry, that's terrible." I realize that's all you can do, but man, I wish I could do more.

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    That's truly terrible to hear, josh. You and your family will be in all our thoughts.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • BoomerjinksBoomerjinks Denver, ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I hope this thread stays at the top of SE and that you come back to your computer with like 30 pages of people sending you well wishes, man.

You tell 'em I'm postin'! And Hell's postin' with me!
    c3hBq.jpg
    Check out Colorado Movie Cars! It's amazing!
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    is it good hodgkins?

It is! 10 year survival rate is conservatively 95% ish. So more like 99% IRL.

And that 1% probably walked into traffic.

Don't worry man. You and yer lady will be up all night looking after a tiny wailing person in no time. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Oh man, what awful news :(

Wishing you and your wife and the unborn baby all the best. <3

on the plus side, maybe if you just go ahead with the radiation anyway you might get a super kid out of it?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I mean, I saw it coming because, as I mentioned before, her family has a history of such horrible and virulent cancer that nobody will even give us a policy on her life. But to actually be in there in the doctor's office and have them say, "It's cancer" is something else.

Also, my daughter completely shat herself while the intern was playing with her, and we left the diaper bag at home. So that was fun.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Stay strong.

edited September 2011
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    is it good hodgkins?

It is! 10 year survival rate is conservatively 95% ish. So more like 99% IRL.

And that 1% probably walked into traffic.

Don't worry man. You and yer lady will be up all night looking after a tiny wailing person in no time. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umL6fwNgYnc

it is great to hear that it has a high survival rate though!

Kusuguttai on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    god that sucks man. I hope things get better

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I just finished my latest round of treatment Josh. If you or the lady have any questions that need a non-doctor answer, please, feel free to ask. Or if you just want to talk, I'm always around.

My thoughts are with you two.

easysig2.jpg
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    that sucks!

good luck! I hope everything turns out okay

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    damn dude

I'm so sorry to hear about this

Stale wrote:
    I just finished my latest round of treatment Josh. If you or the lady have any questions that need a non-doctor answer, please, feel free to ask. Or if you just want to talk, I'm always around.

My thoughts are with you two.

My wife is a personal trainer and she teaches athletic classes (Zumba, PiYo, etc.) at the local gym. She's pretty much an athlete. Should she be slowing that shit down or would it be better for her to have the positive mindset that comes with still being as active as possible?

• OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    Damn dude :(

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Kinda puts my semi-shitty day at work into perspective. Keep your head up man.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    I always feel bad in threads like this because all I can say is "I'm sorry, that's terrible." I realize that's all you can do, but man, I wish I could do more.

Jeez, I know what you mean.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Damn Josh, that's heavy news indeed. No apology needed for sharing this with us. I'm just sorry you're having to deal with this, especially during your wife's pregnancy.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hugs Josh

Holler at us whenever you need a shoulder to cry on/bitch at/get whatever from <3

Usagi wrote:
    Hugs Josh

Holler at us whenever you need a shoulder to cry on/bitch at/get whatever from <3

Can I borrow a cup of sugar

I am not great at the shoulder to cry on thing.

And I should be, being a nurse and all.

But I am good at non bullshit medical talking!

Come to my shoulder for all your non bullshit medical talk.

Oh brilliant
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    Hugs Josh

Absolutely!

Usagi wrote:
    Usagi wrote:
    Hugs Josh

Absolutely!

Sweet