As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Graves Mechanic Preview up.

• ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote:
    I'm a pretty big fan of Swain on Dominion, actually.

Birds everywhere~

I agree, Swain is pretty much the best defender IMO.

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Heimer makes for an astounding bottom lane in Dominion.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yorick counters Heimer so hard in Dominion.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote:
    I'm a pretty big fan of Swain on Dominion, actually.

Birds everywhere~

I agree, Swain is pretty much the best defender IMO.
    I wouldn't say the best. Amumu, Alistar, Heimer, Cho, Gragas, and Maokai are all also acceptable defenders.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    For a pure bot lane defender role I would say Heimer and Maokai are the best I've seen. For a top lane roaming defender/fighter Blitz is pretty amazing, and not played nearly enough.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Last game, our Malphite gets frozen, autoattacking a rumble. He dies. DC's a moment later.

Immediately afterwards, their entire team DCed. 3 minute push ended it.

Malphite sacrificed himself for the win. So pro.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Squidget0 wrote:
    I'm dreading the day the general population realizes Ryze is the strongest champion on Dominion right now.
    There's a secret to beating Ryze on Dominion. But as a zombie Ryze player, I will take it to my grave, and rise again with it still a secret.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Corki is pretty fun. Only played him in dominion so far, but fun. Can't wait for Xerath.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Squidget0 wrote:
    For a pure bot lane defender role I would say Heimer and Maokai are the best I've seen. For a top lane roaming defender/fighter Blitz is pretty amazing, and not played nearly enough.

I'd second this, but as was mentioned throw Yorrick into the mix. They're pretty much the triumvirate of bottom defenders. If you have one of those three against just about anyone else, their team is GOING to have to commit extra players there now and again or risk losing their close bottom tower.

• Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    You're right, Taric isn't the best support. They're all situational and Taric is one of the more situational supports (less situational than Alistar though)

I would argue otherwise, no other support has as good cc nor as on demand as his stun is

Weaker sustain, can't be too aggressive on his own (unlike Sona), requires his lanemate to harass, has mana issues, Soraka pretty much counters him with her heal (nullifies his burst and armor debuff). He is very good, but he does have flaws. You really don't want Taric if they get Cait and you're not running Trist for example.

League of Legends: Studio
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    lee singed

obF2Wuw.png
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    xin sin

Psn:wazukki
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Tried Mord in Dominion... did not end well for me.

Though I was up against team "TRY HARD AS FUCK!" consisting of Akali, Shaco, Xin, Warwick and Gangplank.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    10/2/4 as solo rumble in ranked against singed, felt good man

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Rumble absolutely destroys Singed. Shield and slow.... it's like fighting against a Janna who wields a flamethrower.

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Just saw the patch preview:

I fucking TOLD YOU the problem with singed was the near CC immunity. Hopefully it's not a small nerf to that thing.

• .jarmis.jarmis Registered User regular
    Probably just a little nerf to scare the pubbies. The decrrase to his trail might make railais kiteing more effective though.
    Also how do I powerbottom yorrick on dominion?

• .jarmis.jarmis Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Ap shakco does things to meele that doesn't even fair. The looke on a pubbies face when after just barely escapeing being sandwitched between two boxes they burst down your clone to have it pop in their face and finish them when they think they gotyou.

.jarmis on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The same way you powerlane Yorick. Those fucking ghasts everywhere.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Double posted for some reason.

Dissociater on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Long post about my experiences/mini-guide for Dominion AP Shaco, who has been my most successful and most played champ on Dominion.
    One of the best defenders in dominion for me has been AP shaco with garrison. I've had some great success with him. There are certain jack in the box placements where the fear interrupts point capture, which causes the tower to shoot them while the boxes blow them up. The ideal spot is just inside the red/green circle on the tower. This placement means that it's close enough to fear enemy champs who are trying to cap, but close enough to the tower that once feared, they'll take damage from the tower as well.

If you're getting rushed by two or more people on a point, you should already have boxes down, but you can drop one, throw a shiv, and then teleport over a wall. They'll probably stop to channel, which is when you garrison, run back in, drop another box and teleport out again. Or sent in your ult clone, which they will blow up, hurting themselves and buying you yet more time. The point is to get them to chase you around the tower, which your boxes will make very hard, while the tower blows them up.

The build I've been using for him is Boots of lucidity > morrello's tome, then in any order the crystal sceptre, abyssal scepter or hourglass, depending on the other team's champ makeup. Sometimes I replace the abyssal with lich bane. Once you have lucidity and morrello's, your jack in the box cooldown is 9ish seconds. If you pop two boxes on the point, and an enemy champ walks into it right, between the boxes and the tower, it will kill most champs. If not, it buys a lot of time to get there, and your shiv will be hitting very hard.

He also makes a great champ for trying to steal a tower from a single defender. I'll drop a box, ult and then send my clone after the defender while I cap the point. Usually this won't be enough to kill the tower (unless your creep wave is there too), but it often confuses the defender who will either attack the clone. Once he realizes you're grabbing the point, he'll move to you, wherein he'll be feared by the jack in the box. Then once he's broken my point capturing, I'll drop another box, shiv, and stealthjump away. During this time, you'll have caused a fair amount of damage to the point, a lot of damage to the frustrated defender, and you'll probably have taken minimal damage. He's great for 2v1ing a tower as well. Since enemy teams will also be trying to juke you around the point while it blows you up, his ult/box combo allows you to deal damage to the enemy champ, while you cap, which keeps the tower off your buddy who will most likely be attacking the defender. Often they'll stand and fight your clone or your ally with the expectation that they'll be able to outlast you while the tower deals a lot of damage to you before they realize that the tower isn't shooting because the real Shaco is capping.

I'll also drop boxes on the speed boost areas around the map. This gives great visibility, since the other team will almost always go that way if they're moving through the middle, which both causes damage, and alerts you to back cappers and gives you time to get there to foil their plans. This makes Shaco a great counter rammus, to the point that when I'm playing AP shaco, I don't care if the other team has rammus, because he's foiled so easily.

I go support tree for him, for the cooldown reduction. The faster you can put down boxes as Shaco, the more of a pain in the ass you are. For spells I usually take Garrison and flash, but the second spell is really optional. I like flash for being able to flash over walls while defending, or into blind spots, which can give you time for your q to cooldown to make a real get away.

Edit: I think I should add that his biggest weakness is he kills creep waves very slowly, so pushing a creep wave isn't really an option for him. And if the enemy is pushing creep waves into a tower you're defending, then they can set off the boxes, which can really hurt you if the other team is smart. But on the other hand, the boxes will disrupt enemy creeps while your tower kills them, which can mean that the tower will eliminate that creep wave without taking a lot of damage.

I know, nothing too ground breaking, but I find this build/tactic to be absurdly fun, and it enrages the other team.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2011
    Think I got my Kayle Dominion build down now.

Start with Berserker's Greaves, get a Null-Magic Mantle if the enemy team is AP heavy, otherwise save that money for a Recurve Bow, then build a Wit's End. Then build Malady and Sanguine Blade (Blade first if you really need the life steal), then Ionic Spark and Nashor's Tooth.

Enjoy your 2.3 attack speed with a big chunk of on-hit damage and chain lightning.

Echo on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So, Maokai seems fun, but I have no idea how to play him. My early game pretty much consists of doing no damage and then dying because I'm out of position and not even remotely tanky early.

Pretty much, I fall behind early because I can't farm and die a few times and then never really catch up again. Help?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    level saplings first if laning, at level 3 you can oneshot caster waves, lets you farm decently. As for not being tanky I go dorans ring>catalyst>merc threads or tabi depending on enemy team, then a frozen heart and a banshees.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote:
    level saplings first if laning, at level 3 you can oneshot caster waves, lets you farm decently. As for not being tanky I go dorans ring>catalyst>merc threads or tabi depending on enemy team, then a frozen heart and a banshees.

Maybe starting Doran's would help. I'd been starting with Sapphire crystal, doing ok with Sapling harass for a while and then running out of mana pretty quick.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Try rushing Philo and HoG

Maokai needs cash that he's not well suited to farming

• MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Long post about my experiences/mini-guide for Dominion AP Shaco, who has been my most successful and most played champ on Dominion.
    One of the best defenders in dominion for me has been AP shaco with garrison. I've had some great success with him. There are certain jack in the box placements where the fear interrupts point capture, which causes the tower to shoot them while the boxes blow them up. The ideal spot is just inside the red/green circle on the tower. This placement means that it's close enough to fear enemy champs who are trying to cap, but close enough to the tower that once feared, they'll take damage from the tower as well.

If you're getting rushed by two or more people on a point, you should already have boxes down, but you can drop one, throw a shiv, and then teleport over a wall. They'll probably stop to channel, which is when you garrison, run back in, drop another box and teleport out again. Or sent in your ult clone, which they will blow up, hurting themselves and buying you yet more time. The point is to get them to chase you around the tower, which your boxes will make very hard, while the tower blows them up.

The build I've been using for him is Boots of lucidity > morrello's tome, then in any order the crystal sceptre, abyssal scepter or hourglass, depending on the other team's champ makeup. Sometimes I replace the abyssal with lich bane. Once you have lucidity and morrello's, your jack in the box cooldown is 9ish seconds. If you pop two boxes on the point, and an enemy champ walks into it right, between the boxes and the tower, it will kill most champs. If not, it buys a lot of time to get there, and your shiv will be hitting very hard.

He also makes a great champ for trying to steal a tower from a single defender. I'll drop a box, ult and then send my clone after the defender while I cap the point. Usually this won't be enough to kill the tower (unless your creep wave is there too), but it often confuses the defender who will either attack the clone. Once he realizes you're grabbing the point, he'll move to you, wherein he'll be feared by the jack in the box. Then once he's broken my point capturing, I'll drop another box, shiv, and stealthjump away. During this time, you'll have caused a fair amount of damage to the point, a lot of damage to the frustrated defender, and you'll probably have taken minimal damage. He's great for 2v1ing a tower as well. Since enemy teams will also be trying to juke you around the point while it blows you up, his ult/box combo allows you to deal damage to the enemy champ, while you cap, which keeps the tower off your buddy who will most likely be attacking the defender. Often they'll stand and fight your clone or your ally with the expectation that they'll be able to outlast you while the tower deals a lot of damage to you before they realize that the tower isn't shooting because the real Shaco is capping.

I'll also drop boxes on the speed boost areas around the map. This gives great visibility, since the other team will almost always go that way if they're moving through the middle, which both causes damage, and alerts you to back cappers and gives you time to get there to foil their plans. This makes Shaco a great counter rammus, to the point that when I'm playing AP shaco, I don't care if the other team has rammus, because he's foiled so easily.

I go support tree for him, for the cooldown reduction. The faster you can put down boxes as Shaco, the more of a pain in the ass you are. For spells I usually take Garrison and flash, but the second spell is really optional. I like flash for being able to flash over walls while defending, or into blind spots, which can give you time for your q to cooldown to make a real get away.

Edit: I think I should add that his biggest weakness is he kills creep waves very slowly, so pushing a creep wave isn't really an option for him. And if the enemy is pushing creep waves into a tower you're defending, then they can set off the boxes, which can really hurt you if the other team is smart. But on the other hand, the boxes will disrupt enemy creeps while your tower kills them, which can mean that the tower will eliminate that creep wave without taking a lot of damage.

I know, nothing too ground breaking, but I find this build/tactic to be absurdly fun, and it enrages the other team.

This is great. I've played AP shaco a few times before, and really enjoyed the playstyle, but I think I was missing a few things. This is super helpful!!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote:
    Squidget0 wrote:
    I'm dreading the day the general population realizes Ryze is the strongest champion on Dominion right now.
    There's a secret to beating Ryze on Dominion. But as a zombie Ryze player, I will take it to my grave, and rise again with it still a secret.

is it trick him into buying a tears of the goddess

because that's worked well for me

liEt3nH.png
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Gonna put some more patch preview impressions:

Lee Sin, well duh, he needs the nerf. What do you think happens when you make YET ANOTHER toolbox melee carry with a gap closer? Balance nightmare happens. Miis Fortune buffs, bad news because hybrid builds SCREAMS "build a gunblade on me". If it can give us a gunblade nerf, good for it. Morgana, pretty much what I expected, her sustain power is the problem and how she can say fuck you to any ganks. Note to Riot, no one plays support morgana. She's an AP carry through and out. Singed nerfs also what i expected, i told you bro i TOLD you about his cc immunity and Taric meh.

On the other hand, why no Talon or Shaco nerfs? The former is possibly the most OP bastard in the entire game right now, and Shaco needs serious tweaks now that his boxes aren't bugged.

On Maokai: I tried everything to not much success. Philo/HoG is nice, but it leaves me weak while they charge up the money. And Maokai, really, can't do much as support, his CC is too weak for that. Rushing a RoA takes a bit too long and improves everything you do but then it takes long to farm a good core. Trinity ForcYOU ARE NOT CHU8 DO NOT GET A TRIFORCE.

Kind of at loss here.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I'm trying out Lanewick. However, It doesn't feel very powerful to me. It's great to chase down stragglers and, during the laning, I get great sustain, but it doesn't feel effective.

The build I'm using right now is something along the lines of

Doran's Ring -> Spirit Visage (For more sustain+CDR) -> Sorc Shoes -> Malady/wit's end -> Sunfire Cape/MR item -> Wit's End/Malady (the one I didn't get)

I didn't get s lot of games in with the build and we lost both of them (though I got a pretty decent KDA), but I just didn't feel strong, maybe I don't know how to use lanewick well? I mean, I'm supposed to ult not for damage, but for the CC while my partner/ganker/team bursts them out, right? (I mean, his ult scales off of AD, right? My main bread and butter should be his Q and his E with some W to buff up the teams during teamfights, right?)

Advice would be very much welcome.

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Being good at playing AP Shaco is like being good at writing bad checks (the least offensive analogy I could muster up). Anyone can do it, and all the art to doing it exceptionally, well, isn't a skill people ought to want to have.

I'm annoyed they didn't nerf him this patch, but we'll probably have to wait 1-2 more.
    I'm trying out Lanewick. However, It doesn't feel very powerful to me. It's great to chase down stragglers and, during the laning, I get great sustain, but it doesn't feel effective.

Doran's Ring -> Spirit Visage (For more sustain+CDR) -> Sorc Shoes -> Malady/wit's end -> Sunfire Cape/MR item -> Wit's End/Malady (the one I didn't get)

I didn't get s lot of games in with the build and we lost both of them (though I got a pretty decent KDA), but I just didn't feel strong, maybe I don't know how to use lanewick well? I mean, I'm supposed to ult not for damage, but for the CC while my partner/ganker/team bursts them out, right? (I mean, his ult scales off of AD, right? My main bread and butter should be his Q and his E with some W to buff up the teams during teamfights, right?)

Chalice is the key to lanewick. I run it on my TT and Dominion WW, and don't play lanewick in SR because he's better in the jungle anyways (though I would lanewick if I really wanted to play him and we had a jungle mummy, for example).

programjunkie on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Being good at playing AP Shaco is like being good at writing bad checks (the least offensive analogy I could muster up). Anyone can do it, and all the art to doing it exceptionally, well, isn't a skill people ought to want to have.

I'm annoyed they didn't nerf him this patch, but we'll probably have to wait 1-2 more.

Chalice is the key to lanewick. I run it on my TT and Dominion WW, and don't play lanewick in SR because he's better in the jungle anyways (though I would lanewick if I really wanted to play him and we had a jungle mummy, for example).

Chalice before Spirit Visage? Should I take out the ring and get the Meki Pendant + mana potions when starting? I can see how it'd allow me unlimited q-spam...

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    So I want to be a not terrible jungler, what's the best path to take/start? And some junglers to pick up.

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Played Cassiopea in PvP. Took mid against a Morgana, started with Boots + 2healthpots and 1manapot. Wish I'd taken all manapots.

She pushes like a champ, I can only seem to catch either the front or back three of her minion waves in my poison, so I content myself to sit under my tower and last hit. Get a couple of kills on her after she wiffed Dark Binding, flashed out of her ult or just slowed her and speedboosted myself with Q and W, and then the laning phase was over when four of them jumped me.

Ult. Back up. QEEEQEEE. 3v1, and my team's here. That felt nice. I could get used to playing Cass, I think.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote:

Maybe starting Doran's would help. I'd been starting with Sapphire crystal, doing ok with Sapling harass for a while and then running out of mana pretty quick.

You have to pace your mana early on, make sure to lasthit with melee attacks when safe. Once you have your catalyst you will be a farming monster, instantly wiping out the caster creeps, then lasthitting the melee ones as well. You get health from meleeing when harassed and thanks to your own casting.

My usual path is either solo top or bot as a support/harasser that still gets CS. I usually build dorans>catalyst>merc or ionians depending on other team. After this I get a glacial shroud. If they are ap heavy finish banshees, if AD heavy finish frozen heart. Once you have these two you can decide to either go pure tank or ap tanky. I prefer ap tanky and getting an hourglass/abyssal scepter next depending on enemy team, and finally finishing out your build and replacing dorans with something either dpsy or tanky based on the enemy teamcomp.

I honestly don't see the attraction in a triforce, if you want to be offensive the saplings have an insane ap ratio, and ult has a really low cd which makes it a pretty good damagedealer as well.

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote:
    So I want to be a not terrible jungler, what's the best path to take/start? And some junglers to pick up.

Go here and be educated in the ways of jungling.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    First try as AP Shaco on Dominion, and god was it fun.

I think the best times were when I would get killed by like Twitch or Yi or something, only for them to run past like 3 jack in the boxes and die. Topped perhaps only by everyone focusing my shaco clone and him exploding to kill like 3 people.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Man all I need in this game is Ezreal and Riven and life is good.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • GnomocideGnomocide Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So, which champs should I play if I want to survive against akali in dominion? I hear Lee Sin is good, but I'd rather not spend 6300 ip just to counter akali. I feel like she is very dominant once she gets a gunblade (and you can't deny her farm in dominion). I don't have any problems with her stealth (countered by towers in dominion), just her insane burst, mobility and lifesteal/spellvamp. What to do (banning isn't an option right now, since there's a million dodgers in every draft dominion)?

AP amumu talk:
    Has anyone else tried AP amumu on dominion? It's a gimmick build, but against some teamcomps it's surprisingly effective (you want some squishies you can take down within a couple of seconds). Rushing a ROA, moving on to deathcap, abyssal, zhonya's and other tanky AP items makes amumu deal a huge amount of damage (throw in a giant's belt if you need more hp). 600 damage bandage toss! Despair ticking for 8% of their hp every second!

The gimmick is easily countered by the beefy dudes (such as a GP who isn't building glass cannon) since you wont be able to burst them down fast enough. Against a team with 2-3 squishies it's just too much fun.

Gnomocide on
This discussion has been closed.