As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Breaking Bad

• GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    True...

... and now
    the reddit comments are starting to make sense about Walt doing it somehow. gun pointed at plant, Gus seemingly unaware of the poisoned kid, and that damn time-lapse.

The episode description of the next one says something like "unexpected ally"... which sounds like Mike.

• Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    GPIA7R wrote:
    True...

... and now
    the reddit comments are starting to make sense about Walt doing it somehow. gun pointed at plant, Gus seemingly unaware of the poisoned kid, and that damn time-lapse.

The episode description of the next one says something like "unexpected ally"... which sounds like Mike.
    The "unexpected ally" could possibly be Hector, the old dude in the wheel chair.

They've been highlighting him this season and while part of it may be to add character to Gus, it could also be to show that this guy really, really hates Gus and wants him dead.

And we know that Jesse knows that Gus visits him at the home

• ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    When did this become the Lost thread?

1EAFQ.gif
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote:
    ukiyo e wrote:
    Went over to the Breaking Bad subreddit for funny memes, ended up reading some theories.

Are these people watching the same show that I am watching?
    This is how I feel when reading some of the theories both here and on reddit.

H6J2F.jpg

ah. theres a sentence worth taking seriously

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    which is to say reddit has a board called white rights, therefore fuck the reddit

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited October 2011
    my old lady was talking to me and looking real disgusted after we watched episode 11 and 12. it was interesting to have someone just watch bits and pieces of it and not follow it as closely as i have. when i asked her what she thought, she said literally everything is walt's fault because he is so goddamn dumb

i was thinking of explaining his motivations, and how his life lead him to this point but then thought about the hook of the show but i couldn't really escape the fact that after all the critical thinking you'd like to attach to the guy, it really boils down to his problems blowing up because he is a dumb, petty asshole

Calamity Jane on
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ukiyo e wrote:
    GPIA7R wrote:
    I dunno, I want to buy into the "walt did it" theory because that makes the gun spinning moment brilliant.
    Not quite getting what the point of Walt doing it would be. The Season 4 finale was supposed to be the series finale, yeah? How could they end it on the note of "Oh, yeah Jesse, I killed the kid... but we've got 44 minutes to end this on a positive note."... aaaand, scene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Season 4 finale was finished prior to the news about them being signed on for another season?
    A 5th season was never in doubt. There was discussion of whether or not it would be moved to another network. I don't think Vince Gilligan had the intention of framing the finale of season 4 as a series finale.

You sure about that? Because I've read differently.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote:
    ukiyo e wrote:
    GPIA7R wrote:
    I dunno, I want to buy into the "walt did it" theory because that makes the gun spinning moment brilliant.
    Not quite getting what the point of Walt doing it would be. The Season 4 finale was supposed to be the series finale, yeah? How could they end it on the note of "Oh, yeah Jesse, I killed the kid... but we've got 44 minutes to end this on a positive note."... aaaand, scene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Season 4 finale was finished prior to the news about them being signed on for another season?
    A 5th season was never in doubt. There was discussion of whether or not it would be moved to another network. I don't think Vince Gilligan had the intention of framing the finale of season 4 as a series finale.

I think he did at the outset of the series but clearly things have grown. I don't think he would jeopardize the series just to get more episodes. Trust in Gilligan.

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    Anjin-San wrote:
    my old lady was talking to me and looking real disgusted after we watched episode 11 and 12. it was interesting to have someone just watch bits and pieces of it and not follow it as closely as i have. when i asked her what she thought, she said literally everything is walt's fault because he is so goddamn dumb

i was thinking of explaining his motivations, and how his life lead him to this point but then thought about the hook of the show but i couldn't really escape the fact that after all the critical thinking you'd like to attach to the guy, it really boils down to his problems blowing up because he is a dumb, petty asshole

He is undeniably the dumbest and pettiest of assholes
    I mean, the whole thing with the charger, and the fact that he straight blew it up on a whim, potentially risking his entire family, just so he could have his moment of "you're not the boss of me, Skylar!"

mrsatansig.png
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    This season, Walt, in pretty much every way, reminds me of the stereotypical Tea Partier.

mrsatansig.png
    Everything I read was that they would either get a shorter run for a 5th season or be moved to a different network.
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Larlar wrote:
    ukiyo e wrote:
    GPIA7R wrote:

I think he did at the outset of the series but clearly things have grown. I don't think he would jeopardize the series just to get more episodes. Trust in Gilligan.

I stand corrected.
    "Four seasons feels pretty good to me, and I have said that in several interviews, but I can't say it with absolute certainty. At the end of every season, we try to end with a big enough bang, in a fashion such that if the whole series ended right then and there, it'd be somewhat satisfying, or at least end with a big enough bang. So if for instance we didn't get a season four, it'd be a bummer of an ending, but it'd be a big ending nonetheless, and it could work as a series ender.
    Having said all of that, season four might be a good place to end it, possibly we could go to season five. Can't picture anything beyond season five. I don't have a definitive answer for you, because the character continues to be interesting to me, and I'm not that Bobby Fischer player where I had the whole thing figured out in my head. I don't know exactly where Walt's going to wind up. I have the vaguest of ideas of how the series should end in a satisfying, at least to me, manner. But having said that, I don't know how long it'll take to get from the point we're at to that point, and I don't know how long we'll have. Because as with most TV shows, the structure of the business is such that if a show is doing well, you don't think about ending it, you only think about continuing it. We don't have any other business paradigm than any other show has in that regard. There's no real talk of ending things.

Excellent interview.

1EAFQ.gif
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    This video pretty much confirms (End Times SPOILER: )
    Gus didn't poison the kid.

At the very least, it's meant to be in doubt that Gus did it, as Gus' actor explains that the car park scene is him thinking "the kid was poisoned..." and that makes him stop short of getting in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7dfPgJgfc

EDIT: at 3:25.

EDIT EDIT:
    So Gus didn't do it, and he thinks Walt did it, but this in no way confirms Walt actually did it.

In fact, it actually makes me lean more towards Brock just being sick, and Jesse has lost the ricin somewhere else.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    Saul is selling everyone out. That's what I'm thinking. Ricin was lifted from Jesse, Saul knew about Adriana and Brock longer than Walt (remember the money delivery) following from the Ted incident and his last conversation with Walt, he's saying fuck you guys kill each other wipe my hands clean of it and take all your money off your dead hands. Why? Because this is Breaking Bad and Saul is the one person intermingled in both the Walt/Jesse Camp and Gus' Camp to be able to pit them against each other.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Saul is selling everyone out. That's what I'm thinking. Ricin was lifted from Jesse, Saul knew about Adriana and Brock longer than Walt (remember the money delivery) following from the Ted incident and his last conversation with Walt, he's saying fuck you guys kill each other wipe my hands clean of it and take all your money off your dead hands. Why? Because this is Breaking Bad and Saul is the one person intermingled in both the Walt/Jesse Camp and Gus' Camp to be able to pit them against each other.

oh

my

hrm

That was a very cool video.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I can't remember right now, but has this show in the past ever had something happen off camera? What I mean, .. well I'll go to spoilers for this.
    Has there ever been a major moment in the show of something happening but it not being shown to us, the viewers? Like, the theory that Walt poisoned Brock. If he did poison Brock it wasn't shown. I can't think of any other moments where something was done or resolved that we as viewers weren't privy too. That's why I think Walt doing the poisoning seems unlikely. But.. who knows with these writers.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
    I can't remember right now, but has this show in the past ever had something happen off camera? What I mean, .. well I'll go to spoilers for this.
    Has there ever been a major moment in the show of something happening but it not being shown to us, the viewers? Like, the theory that Walt poisoned Brock. If he did poison Brock it wasn't shown. I can't think of any other moments where something was done or resolved that we as viewers weren't privy too. That's why I think Walt doing the poisoning seems unlikely. But.. who knows with these writers.
    I think you're right, there isn't a major event I can think of that had any ambiguity to who/what/where/how/when.

• VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    Just randomly started watching this. Went over to my mom's and started it up on the Wii.

Sat through 16 episodes before I left and now my entire family is hooked. This show is goddamn amazing.

• OdinOdin Registered User regular
    So, if Gus really didn't know anything about the ricin, that makes me think that Hector is behind all of this

He knows Jesse works for Gus and he knows something about the poison since they tried to use it on Tuco way back in season 2.

Maybe once Gus is defeated he'll roll in and be like "Now I'll look you in the face asshole"

• KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    MacGuffin wrote: »
    Monsty wrote:
    YaYa wrote:
    sooooo

I am thinking that either Walt poisoned Brock (possible, but I doubt the timeline works) or that Brock's actually just really sick

for some reason I just can't quite see Gus poisoning the kid
    Hmm.
    I was also thinking that Brock just took the cig out and smoked it(EDIT: Well if that would even work, that is), but I'm not sure if they debunked that theory with Jesse saying when he last had it or not. I wasn't able to give the episode 100% of my attention. :(
    There was a phiole in the cigarette so smoking the Ricin wouldn't have been possible. But the poison doesn't have to come from the cigarette. Walt could just tell Saul that he needs to steal a pack of cigarettes from Jesse and make his own Ricin meanwhile.

In the beginning of the episode Walt spins the gun. It points to him two times. He spins it again and it points to a plant.

Ricin is made from the seeds of the Castor oil plant.

or it could have just been pointing away from walt.

About that scene
    I thought it was like a parallel to that scene where Skylar drives to the Four Corners and flips a coin

They both briefly contemplate making a "final" choice (her running away from Walt and him shooting himself)

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    BEAST! wrote:
    ukiyo e wrote:
    Went over to the Breaking Bad subreddit for funny memes, ended up reading some theories.

Are these people watching the same show that I am watching?
    This is how I feel when reading some of the theories both here and on reddit.

H6J2F.jpg

These screenshots have really been bothering me.
    Did her character have a stroke or something? I'm only part-way through season 2.

its a still. it looks weird because it looked weird for like a second and when you take that second and freeze it that's what happens

• existexist Registered User regular
    also i think anna gunn got some plastic surgery

UmPiq.png
    why would you think that
    if anything she gained like 30 pounds

edited October 2011
    i saw it mentioned in an av club write-up and have seen it talked about online, though i do realize that is not exactly "concrete evidence"

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    its a still. it looks weird because it looked weird for like a second and when you take that second and freeze it that's what happens

Yeah it's not hard to get some weird shots if you freeze frame at the right moment.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

I'm throwing someone else's theory out here for the sake of wasting time this week and saying that
    Hector, as a kamikaze bomb concocted by Walt (which we've just seen him make), is going to end up killing Gus. *ding*

Because, otherwise, what the hell is he even doing in this season?

iwantanswers3.png
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Kusuguttai wrote:

I recognize that. I'm just saying in that picture, and the glance I had of the TV on Sunday night during the new episode (when she was also making crazy bug-eyed face), it looks like one side of her face is paralyzed and like she's not entirely "there".

Odin wrote:
    So, if Gus really didn't know anything about the ricin, that makes me think that Hector is behind all of this

He knows Jesse works for Gus and he knows something about the poison since they tried to use it on Tuco way back in season 2.

Maybe once Gus is defeated he'll roll in and be like "Now I'll look you in the face asshole"

I'm starting to like this idea. After watching that video I have no f'n idea what's going to happen in the finale. Excellent.

1EAFQ.gif
    ukiyo e wrote:
    Odin wrote:

I'm starting to like this idea. After watching that video I have no f'n idea what's going to happen in the finale. Excellent.
    While I'm still standing behind it being Saul, you could be right. Hector didn't for one moment bother giving Gus the one last look he wanted, he instead focused all his rage glare at Jesse...... I just wonder how a man bound to a wheelchair that can only communicate with a bell could pull it off though.

• LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    XST5Z.jpgAHH!

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    WHY DO YOU DO THESE THINGS

Larlar wrote:
    I'm throwing someone else's theory out here for the sake of wasting time this week and saying that
    Hector, as a kamikaze bomb concocted by Walt (which we've just seen him make), is going to end up killing Gus. *ding*

to illustrate the power gus wields and the length he'd go to to prove a point, and the pettiness of men who kinda live in that dark world
    gus has absolutely nothing to gain from what he has done to hector save satisfaction (and undermining the cartel, obviously), and he lets jesse see that

moreover, why do any of these people do the shit they do

the omniscient storytelling is brilliant in that there are few moments where you're like "GREAT IDEA"

• DavidStarskyDavidStarsky The fiery red Torino sped in to the street... and we spilled into action.Registered User regular
    My summary of Breaking Bad:

Oh shit

oh fuck

oh shitfuck

...bitch!
    !

Butyeah, I'm placing a bet that Mike's gonna be the one to kill Gus.

Since Walt fails to be 'the danger'.

• Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    So about End Times and whodunit speculation:
    Was killing time on tumblr and more than a few posts tagged Breaking Bad put forth that the scene where Walt spun the gun for the third time and pointed to that plant, that the plant was foxglove.

The idea being that Walt perhaps did poison Brock, but that it wasn't ricin, and it wasn't fatal. Still doesn't cover the logistics of it all (Walt generally being a bad liar, removing the cigarette, the actual poisoning of Brock), but it's an interesting detail. It would certainly make Walt and Jesse teaming up again horribly tainted, and push Walt further into villain territory without being inexplicably evil.

They definitely made this episode ambiguous as fuck. Something's up.

edited October 2011
    I just had a random thought
    Walt has the number of the "cleaner", the guy who can make people disappear, but he doesn't have the money to pay him

Jesse does however, and it's been put in his hands by Saul, who said the guy only accepts full payment in cash

I wonder if they'll go anywhere with that. Maybe Walt will give Jesse the number to protect him from the DEA or the cartel

Odin on
    edited October 2011
    Anjin-San wrote:
    Larlar wrote:

to illustrate the power gus wields and the length he'd go to to prove a point, and the pettiness of men who kinda live in that dark world
    gus has absolutely nothing to gain from what he has done to hector save satisfaction (and undermining the cartel, obviously), and he lets jesse see that

From a writer's perspective. Nothing in Breaking Bad has ever been the focus of a scene and then ultimately dropped. Nothing has ever showed up for no reason.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
This discussion has been closed.