As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Which keyboard do you guys have?

AlegisAlegis ImpeckableRegistered User regular
So I used to have a logitech G11 for about a year or two, which worked fine

N6imv.jpg

until I spilt water over it little more than a month ago and got a G110, which is a smaller but sort of upgraded version (you can plug your headset in, woo! Which is kind of a neat bonus though)

17001.png

which I now ruined by spilling tea over it.

So I'm on the lookout for a new keyboard again. Local shops only have azerty keyboards because they're stupid and I type in American qwerty, so I'm ordering online in any case.

The reason I got the G11 is because I needed a KB with light keys, the old typical keyboards strain my fingers way too much. But the entire macro/G-buttons/light-up keyboard stuff is rather unnecessary for me so I might go for a simple spillproof keyboard - but most of all I'm interested in a comfortable one with light keys. As I type the whole goddamn day I'm okay with an investment that makes my fingers feel alright.

Recommendations? Which KB's do you guys use/recommend?

Alegis on

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Considering your track record, maybe this is the way to go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002YKDKV0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Yeah those look interesting but I'm worried about how they type. I like the buttons to be elevated on top (like so \ ) and while not to be squishy still light. this was an ooold keyboard but it raped my fingers

HANG ON A SECOND! I didnt ruin my first keyboard by spilling water - it was storming and it got soaked by rain. So far I only spilt liquid over my keyboards once. In the dark. Which was silly
    so I might go for the G110 again unless I can find a nice keyboard which works similarly and is cheaper (I dont need the gaming macro buttons etc)

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    If you keep spilling stuff on your keyboard, I suggest a bigger desk, a mug with a top on it, or a keyboard in this price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823174004

You said you don't need bells and whistles so why spend more than $15?

I have had the same $6 keyboard I bought from newegg 6 years ago. PS/2 so you can have something like 12 keys pressed at once.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    My keyboards are all old, strong, durable ones that I've picked up for between free and $2.50 at yard sales and from businesses clearing out old supplies and so on. Everyone always wants some fancy $80 Logitech LCD keyboard or whatever but I find that the old ones last longer, are much easier to clean, and are super cheap. Plus I have 6 of them so even if I do manage to mess one up so badly that running it through the dishwasher won't fix it, I can just grab a spare.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    you don't need a keyboard, you need firmer hands or an umbrella.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Did you just chuck the keyboards after the spill or did you try to take them apart and mop up/clean the contacts and let it dry out?

Cause doing that works surprisingly well.

• Options
    Hmm only now do I notice there's another keyboard thread. Didn't find it as I tried the search feature

I only spilt tea once and that was me being stupid trying to find the light switch on my desk in the dark while holding the tea. I'm trying out my keyboard now (it was completely fucked, left it for a day to dry and everything seems to work!) so it looks like I won't have to replace it! Otherwise I'd have followed your advice and get a cheaper one

Thanks in any case!

@Buttcleft, tried that for the G15 which was completely fucked by the rain storm but I didn't succeed in completely taking it apart.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Microsoft Natural 4000 forever.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    How the hell did your keyboard get soaked in a rainstorm?!

Subsequent advice - no more outdoor LAN parties. Or get a laptop if you want to sit under a tree.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote:
    How the hell did your keyboard get soaked in a rainstorm?!

Subsequent advice - no more outdoor LAN parties. Or get a laptop if you want to sit under a tree.

Maybe he lives in a shantytown without glass windows?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    My window was only slightly opened (just a 2 cm crack at the bottom), but it was enough to flood my desk in only a minute. It was the same rainstorm that killed those people at pukkelpop festival

So I suppose I came off lightly with just a keyboard malfunction!
    The G110 seems to be tea-proof so far. Only need to give it a day or two to recover, logitech should add this to its features list.

Alegis on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'm rocking my first nice keyboard: a Razer Blackwidow Stealth.

Which was actually a bad purchase in the long run because I could have picked up the Ultimate Edition with free shipping at Amazon, pay the same amount, and get it sooner. Instead, Razer only sells it directly on their site, so all that money "saved" on the stealth edition was wasted on shipping and I had to wait a week for it because Razer resides in California, and I in Florida. Still it's an excellent keyboard. Excellent for gaming and I can type like a madman.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    I have an original Saitek Eclipse for my gaming desktop. It's alright. Looks cool. Though the cable is coming loose it, so I've had to cover it in electrical tape in an attempt to keep it from coming out further and electrocuting me.

Honestly though, I vastly prefer the keyboard on my Macbook. Low travel, responsive, just the right amount of resistance... the perfect typing experience for me.

• Options
    floobie wrote:
    I have an original Saitek Eclipse for my gaming desktop. It's alright. Looks cool. Though the cable is coming loose it, so I've had to cover it in electrical tape in an attempt to keep it from coming out further and electrocuting me.

Honestly though, I vastly prefer the keyboard on my Macbook. Low travel, responsive, just the right amount of resistance... the perfect typing experience for me.

I feel the same way about my MacBook Pro keyboard. If the Apple desktop keyboard was backlit, I'd probably be gaming with that.

That said, I love my mechanical BlackWidow Ultimate.

• Options
    khalathaskhalathas Computer Repair Technician Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    I've got the original G15 with all 18 programmable keys:

logitech-new-g15-vs-old-g15.jpg

The top version (the bottom one is a watered down embarrassment). I do want to trade it up for a g19 though, for the color screen.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    I have a g15 kicking around somewhere but I've been using an Apple usb keyboard (i love typing on them) for a few years.

They probably aren't the best for gaming though as I do accidently hit the wrong key sometimes because of the super short travel.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    ShadowrunnerShadowrunner Registered User regular
    I always try to sell people on http://www.goldtouch.com/p-166-goldtouch-v2-adjustable-keyboard.aspx because it is awesome.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    I need a wireless keyboard that works across my living room, and "range" usually isn't advertized. I tried a bunch of cheap wireless KB&M sets that didn't quite reach, and then this hideously overpriced thing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126038&Tpk=logitech revolution mx

was on sale on my birthday. Worked great. Only complaint is the mouse has built-in rechargable batteries and a charging base station that you plug it into, which seems like a good idea at first until you actually use it and you want to use your computer but the mouse is dead and needs to be recharged. I wish the thing ran off of removable AAs, because I always have a couple in a charger at the ready. But whatever. Range is good, the weird hybrid mousewheel works most of the time, it's not bad. I don't know if it's worth the $150 that it usually costs but I was happy with it at $100.

• Options
    punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I use the Microsoft Comfort Desktop 5000 at home and the Comfort Curve 3000 with a Comfort Mouse 4500 at work.

punk on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    khalathas wrote:
    a watered down embarrassment

In what way?

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I use a Tenkeyless Tactile Touch Keyboard with MX Brown keys.

o3ofi.jpg

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    pckeyboards_2029_635337.jpg

Unicomp Customizer 104 (USB).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    filco_majestouch_electric_blue_brown_usa_large.jpg

Filco Majestouch with MX Cherry Browns in an electric blue colour

steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard is the best keyboard I have used. Takes a while to get use to but after that it feels much more comfortable. Good for me and my big hands.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Natural-Keyboard-English-America/dp/B002VRFIL6

• Options
    For my next KB (in a month?) I'll definitely consider some of those ergonomic ones, especially the goldtouch one looks great

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    At both home and work I have a Hermann Miller Aeron chair, logitech trackball, and kinesis contoured keyboard:

500-blk.jpg

Makes it hard to strafe and games which are hard coded to use the numpad can kiss my posterior. But I haven't had RSI symptoms since setting this up, 14 years on the keyboards now.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    A Kensington cheap'o jobby for me.

Sure, I wouldn't object to having an expensive keyboard, but they too often insist on putting keys in silly places. I don't want macro keys for locating my cat, turning on my windscreen wipers, etc, if it means losing the double-height on the return key!

I am, however, tempted to buy a speedpad for gaming.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    A g15v2 which will be replaced by the same if I can find one. I don't use the macro buttons at all but I find the display quite handy for showing temps/vent info while in game. If they made a wired keyboard with a display and lacking macro keys I would pick it up. I actually took them off with a flathead screwdriver because they were messing with my touch typing.

I use cheap logitech keyboards at work and for secondary home computer, which are getting harder to find without laptop keys.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    CreamstoutCreamstout What you think I program for, to push a fuckin' quad-core? Registered User regular
    I use a das keyboard, pricey but the keys are really comfortable. I'll never go back to a keyboard without mechanical key switches.