As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes: Freedom (probably nsf56k)

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    something I've always been curious about

what is the endgame in this?

isn't PvP sorta a joke, and I can't imagine doing PvE for enhancements being very arresting

Task Forces, Incarnate stuff, money making, and IO Sets. PvP isn't completely terrible and can yield some fun moments.

But we all know new characters are the real end game.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    PVP is basically non existent. The endgame is the Incarnate System.

It's basically you building your character into a demigod. There are storylines you follow at 50 that grant you access to the system. The first part is the Alpha Slot, which you'll receive special salvage for while leveling and doing certain task forces. You craft special universal enhancements that effect things like recharge or damage or whatever you feel is best for your build. You can keep building up your Alpha Slot enhancement as well, and once you advance high enough, you'll apply a level shift. Meaning you basically operate at level 51.

There are special task forces only for people with the Incarnate system unlocked, that provide rewards to help you advance up the track. There are also four other slots currently available that grant additional powers like ranged attacks and combat pets. You unlock these by doing Incarnate trials, which are basically raids for people that have begun moving up the Incarnate System track. There are four now, mostly involving Praetoria.

• Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    boy that sounds pretty boring honestly

MORE ALTS

it's pretty painless and it eventually can lead to you having roman soldiers following you around and healing you and shit

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Incarnates are the end game. There's 5 Incarnate slots so far which give you powers, pets, secondary effects and buffs. Unlocking and upgrading them requires doing Incarnate trials and TFs.

Edit: I leave windows up and come back to them later

Scooter on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    The most fun ever with PVP was during the City of Villains closed beta

they fired up the beta servers with a special build where every character was automatically made level 50, and the only play you could go was the PVP zone

and it was total chaos

also my Brute raped all the things

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    The incarnate trials are pretty much aids.

The trials themselves aren't bad, they're even pretty good. The problem is you gotta do em 20+ times per 50 to unlock things.

It would even be manageable if it wasn't for incarnate xp, or everything gave xp. Without that I could get a lot of tier 1s done just from weekly strike targets.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    well, clicking a thing in my Team tab certainly did the trick. it really has been a while.

Thanks for the help, guys.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Oh I wanted to mention that the new menu music is fucking awesome!

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    it really is.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how good the weapon powersets are with Brutes? I was initially thinking of making a Fire/Fire Brute to explore any new stuff Villain-side but weilding a Battle Axe or Broadsword is also appealing.

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Brutes you want to have some quick recycling attacks to keep the fury bar higher. Also need to avoid redraw if possible, since that takes time and the bar will decay.

I have a broadsword/fire brute right now. Going to end up with hasten and some defense powers so I can drop the LotG attack rate IO in. Early on, I ended up going to other attacks and not getting a lot of the extra damage. Getting better now in the mid 30s.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I think last night with my Beam/Kin corruptor proved conclusively that I suck at playing anything that isn't a Blaster, Scrapper, Brute or maybe Tank

Basically I think I have the most fun in this game when I'm destroying or swimming in ridiculously huge scads of mobs

So this morning I made a Elec/Shield Brute. Should it have been scrapper? I heard something about pseudopet powers (Lightning Rod, Shield Charge) getting hosed for Brutes because of Fury, but I've also heard they don't crit either, and I don't know which is true or if both is true oh man help

Also, how'd /Dark turn out for Blasters?

Ledneh on
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote:

The trials themselves aren't bad, they're even pretty good. The problem is you gotta do em 20+ times per 50 to unlock things.

It would even be manageable if it wasn't for incarnate xp, or everything gave xp. Without that I could get a lot of tier 1s done just from weekly strike targets.

No, the REAL problem is that it requires you getting together 15-23 other people and herding them towards a single goal. Unlike trials and task forces, the iTrials are hard enough that one or two people who know what they're doing can't salvage the thing when everyone else goes full retard. You need a critical mass of competent people and if you're smart enough to fall into that category you're already smart enough to realize that it's not really worth the headache.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Ledneh wrote:
    So this morning I made a Elec/Shield Brute. Should it have been scrapper? I heard something about pseudopet powers (Lightning Rod, Shield Charge) getting hosed for Brutes because of Fury, but I've also heard they don't crit either, and I don't know which is true or if both is true oh man help

I've seen a /dark blaster and he just murders things everywhere.

As for the other bit, boring technical shit ahead:
    Powers in this game, for the most part, can do one thing. They can affect a mob OR they can affect you. So when you use lightning rod, it has to teleport you AND kill things wherever you land. So to wrangle the game into doing this, lightning rod teleports you then where you land the game summons a pseudo-pet that actually does the damage. These pseudo-pets are problematic for brutes, because while brutes have a damage cap of 750% (you start at 100%), the pseudo-pet has a cap of only 500%. The pet starts at 100%, slotting for damage gives you ~100%, and a decent fury boner gives you another 200%. If you used buildup then that's basically at the cap, so any reds you popped, or if you have a kinetic, etc that's all wasted.
    The other part is that scrapper melee attacks have a 1.125 damage modifier. Brute melee attacks have a 0.750 damage modifer. So an attack set to do 100 damage would do 113 on a scrapper, and 75 on a brute. So even though the attack can't crit, if lightning rod would be doing ~400 damage (capped out) on a scrapper, it would only be doing around 266 damage on a brute. If the brute could use their full damage cap, it'd be a lot more even, but as it stands, even with fury, that stupid damage cap ruins things for brutes.

Narbus on
    Someday I will have an Elec/Shield/Blaze Scrapper with Spring Attack who teleports and AoEs everything to death.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    Maybe switch Shield with Fiery Aura for Burn and Fiery Embrace.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    fiery aura is goddamned wonderful

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    street justice

it's a melee set based on punching and kneeing people in the balls

I just read about this. How has it not been in the game until noooooooow?

edited October 2011
    Narbus wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:

As for the other bit, boring technical shit ahead:
    Powers in this game, for the most part, can do one thing. They can affect a mob OR they can affect you. So when you use lightning rod, it has to teleport you AND kill things wherever you land. So to wrangle the game into doing this, lightning rod teleports you then where you land the game summons a pseudo-pet that actually does the damage. These pseudo-pets are problematic for brutes, because while brutes have a damage cap of 750% (you start at 100%), the pseudo-pet has a cap of only 500%. The pet starts at 100%, slotting for damage gives you ~100%, and a decent fury boner gives you another 200%. If you used buildup then that's basically at the cap, so any reds you popped, or if you have a kinetic, etc that's all wasted.
    The other part is that scrapper melee attacks have a 1.125 damage modifier. Brute melee attacks have a 0.750 damage modifer. So an attack set to do 100 damage would do 113 on a scrapper, and 75 on a brute. So even though the attack can't crit, if lightning rod would be doing ~400 damage (capped out) on a scrapper, it would only be doing around 266 damage on a brute. If the brute could use their full damage cap, it'd be a lot more even, but as it stands, even with fury, that stupid damage cap ruins things for brutes.

Thanks for the Boring Technical Shit, makes more sense now even if it's slightly weird (but then being a programmer myself I can easily see how the developers got backed into this kind of corner--it's sadly easy to do in this stupid profession)

What's the Scrapper damage cap? I know that without the fury boner they have more room to enhance damage, but how far does it go?

On another question, what's a good aoe-riffic blaster set that ISN'T fire that could conceivably pair well with /dark?

Ledneh on
    Also, heh, fury boner

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Hmm I may have to resub

Turns out there's weekly Australian activity on the justice server

But they all meet up in the global chat so I would need to have access to that

Narbus wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

No, the REAL problem is that it requires you getting together 15-23 other people and herding them towards a single goal. Unlike trials and task forces, the iTrials are hard enough that one or two people who know what they're doing can't salvage the thing when everyone else goes full retard. You need a critical mass of competent people and if you're smart enough to fall into that category you're already smart enough to realize that it's not really worth the headache.

The BAF and Lambda are so easy that even pugs can't fail them. I do agree that needing pugs is a downside, though, we need fewer BAFs and more Apexes/Tin Mages.

In other news, I hear Apex is the weekly strike target next week. Gonna kill soooooo many swords.

• PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    I am back in.
    Damn, I used to love this game, but I didn't have time to play it back when it was new. Now that I'm working less hours and won't have a wife around to ask my why I'm spending more than 25 minutes on a computer game, let the good times roll again.

• TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular

Narbus wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:

This is me. I am the /Dark blaster and yeah its an amazing secondary for blasters. I went Dark/Dark/Soul and in hind sight I would have gone Rad/dark or Fire/Dark. Simply because Soul Drain is a bit awkward to use with Cones, manageable, but awkward.

Did you have any actual questions about the set? Or just vague curiosity?

edited October 2011
    Tornelco wrote:
    Narbus wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:

This is me. I am the /Dark blaster and yeah its an amazing secondary for blasters. I went Dark/Dark/Soul and in hind sight I would have gone Rad/dark or Fire/Dark. Simply because Soul Drain is a bit awkward to use with Cones, manageable, but awkward.

Did you have any actual questions about the set? Or just vague curiosity?

More vague wondering, really--I just want a multitarget destroyer of worlds

One specific question though, with Soul Drain requiring you to get into the press of things how would you rate your survivability as Blasters go?

Also, about Dark/: is it all tentacles all the time? :winky:

Maybe I'll try a Dark/Dark this weekend too. I know Fire/ and Rad/ are probably better AoE but Fire is so bog standard, and Rad makes me think of my Rad/Kin corruptor and leaves a wretched taste in my mouf

Ledneh on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    oh my god

this is finally free

pmdunk.jpg
    I can't stand Soul Drain on my Dark/Dark Scrapper. You're always in the thick of it as a Scrapper, so I'd probably hate it more on a Blaster. It would be much better to me if it had a lower recharge time.

As it stands I'd rather have Build Up.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    Oh man they have shovels, awesome.

Also thank god you can save part-way through making characters now. By the time I've sifted through all the types and power sets, it takes a long-ass time to make that costume. I should probably just make the costume first and then choose the powers to suit.

Oh of course, I was explaining this to my housemate and he reminded me of this:
    william-h-macy-as-the-shoveler1.jpg

I shovel well. I shovel very well.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I like this game.

There's something gleeful about making a completely generic and utterly boring looking character, and then having fun playing them.

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    I was going to make a melee scrapper or whatever
    then i saw i could make a tiny tiny person
    so i made a 4 foot tall bearded man using archery
    his name is Gnome and Arrow
    i chuckled heartily to myself
    too bad im not on your guys' server because its always so full and also i will probably get sick of this game within a day like i do with all mmo's

edited October 2011
    Tell me about Dominators

Are they powerful? Is their damage reasonably competitive? Can they be AoE juggernauts without suffering from Blaster Death Syndrome?

I don't think I've ever gotten one to even SOs :(

Thinking of making a Plant/Thorn one tonight because I know literally dick all about them!

Ledneh on
    marty_0001 wrote:
    Oh of course, I was explaining this to my housemate and he reminded me of this:
    william-h-macy-as-the-shoveler1.jpg

I shovel well. I shovel very well.

hey, that reminds me of another character I made, samurai/wandering ronin whose weapon of choice is a shovel. I called her Unorthodox Ronin.

I thought it was worth a chuckle, though I haven't used it in forever.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    why can't i join the PA channel
    it says i need to be a vip

pmdunk.jpg
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    I made a surly looking fellow. A trucker. But his torso and arms are way over-muscular for the rest of his body's proportions, and they're mechanized. This hero was once just an average wanderer of the highways, carrying cargo from near and far in his beloved 18 wheeler when one day he wrecked it in a freak accident that perfectly fused his truck to his torso, amplifying his strength 18 fold.

His name: Semi Truck.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I played this game years ago, the most fun I had was using the jumping ability to climb every building in sight.

Just downloaded it again, god the combat feels terrible. Made a brute with electric punching or whatever. Run up to a dude, punch, stand around while it recharges, punch,.... Blah.

Ledneh wrote:

More vague wondering, really--I just want a multitarget destroyer of worlds

One specific question though, with Soul Drain requiring you to get into the press of things how would you rate your survivability as Blasters go?

Also, about Dark/: is it all tentacles all the time? :winky:

Maybe I'll try a Dark/Dark this weekend too. I know Fire/ and Rad/ are probably better AoE but Fire is so bog standard, and Rad makes me think of my Rad/Kin corruptor and leaves a wretched taste in my mouf

Well, Dark Blast has a totally awesome version of Drain Life that helps with survival alot. Combine that with the permanent 20+% -tohit I can put out and for a blaster its really rather survivable. But you are still a blaster.

As for the tentacle question. My blaster was able to run an attack chain of Tenebrous Tentacles -> Soul Tentacles -> Tenebrous Tentacles -> Nightfall. Forever. Though this also requires the Soul mastery epic.

Conveniently Soul Mastery gives you Oppresive Gloom, which stacks with Dark Pit in /Dark to AoE stun everything boss or lower.
    Macro9 wrote:
    I can't stand Soul Drain on my Dark/Dark Scrapper. You're always in the thick of it as a Scrapper, so I'd probably hate it more on a Blaster. It would be much better to me if it had a lower recharge time.

As it stands I'd rather have Build Up.

Soul Drain is crazy awesome. With enough targets its more damage and more tohit then Build Up, and with enough IOs it recharges before the effect ends. Meaning that while running with a large team I will pretty much constantly have +150% damage or more simply from Soul Drain and defiance. Also unless you do something silly like go AR or DP, you still have Aim on top of that.'

Phonehand wrote:
    why can't i join the PA channel
    it says i need to be a vip

In order to join global chat channels you either need to be an active subscriber or have tier 4 rewards for payment. Which is I think 4 tokens (50$ or 3 months subbed and the free token for spending money the first time, I think)