Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[UO] Ultima Online (Angel Island)

1246736

Posts

  • suadeosuadeo Registered User
    edited June 2007
    redhalo wrote: »
    Some how I managed to never try UO. Provided I can get this running in Linux (I understand it's quite easy) I'll be in on this too. Can anyone suggest a good noobie guide? Are there any specific build types the guild will need?

    For starting off, I would go the warrior route. Its simple, fun and easy to gain. As for certain builds the guild needs, I would leave that for vets right now. Most of it is crafting. I plan to make a tailor/alchemist/carp along with my nox-archer tonight.

    I believe there is a template in the OP for a good warrior build. Best way to learn is to play with some guildies. We will be more than happy to explain stuff in game. :)
    rayofash wrote:
    Strength 60.

    Melee skills:
    Swordsmanship: 50
    Tactics: 49
    Healing: 1 (can raise with gold you get from killing things)

    For Swordsmanship, use a Katana. You can find dolls to train on if needed. Then I raised Musicianship and Peacemaking and trained on Ettins in Despise.

    I'm raising Resist Spell and Magery now. My character may level off to be a pretty good PvP character after that.

    There ya go.

    But the nice thing about UO, you can make almost any template work. So, make a few chars, test them out. You may find that magery is your way.

    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Valkun's Getting Started Guide:

    Disclaimer: Although Valkun is a veteran UO player from the era in which this game is set, Angel Island includes a number of tweaks and new features that I may not be fully aware of so do not take my words as gospel.

    Setting Up:
    Follow the getting set up guide in the opening post and read through the Angel Island getting started page. If you're really having trouble, just talk to us in Slashnet.org #PAUO. A lot of people seemed to be having difficulties figuring out how to talk on UO:AM. After you start the program and render all the maps for the first time, go to the menu Link->Link Controls and put in all the connection information from the opening post. To talk in game, type "-- " then the message, that's dash dash space message.

    Things to know:
    1. Angel Island has a player run economy and you cannot sell anything to the NPCs, ever. That means that crafting is about ten times harder then it is for official servers since you can't just sell things back to the NPC to keep things cycling. Tailors are especially hard hit with this since that means you're either dumping a lot of money on cloth which you can't recoup or trying to find sheep and wool (which I didn't have any luck with).

    2. You will get ganked, this is normal. Hell, on my first day I was killed no less then 5 times. However, most (if not all) of the people who do this are just looking for a good fight. If you go into War Mode (tab), you'll make yourself visible and they'll ressurect you and let you keep most of your stuff. They seem to have a habit of taking gold, bandages, and anything they might actually make use of.

    3. This is a standard rates pre-trammel server. Skills cap at 100.0 points. You have 700 skill points to spread around skills (which means you can grandmaster 7) and 225 stat points.

    4. No horses or mounts of any kind. Sucks, but they said it was for PVP balance between people with different pings.

    What do I get on my first character?
    1. It depends on what kind of archtype you had in mind, UO is incredibly flexible because of the skill system it uses. Certain skills are much harder to raise then others, unfortunately you have no way of knowing which when just starting. For any combat character, I recommend starting with Resist Spells at 49-50.

    2. Always get 100 strength and start with 60 strength. Strength determines your HP, melee damage, and ability to hold things. It is by far the most important stat and you should always max it.

    Some skills that are expensive and/or time consuming and involved to raise (this list probably won't be comprehensive):
    Resist Spells
    Magery
    Tailoring
    Alchemy
    Cartography
    Blacksmithing
    Inscription
    Healing
    Lockpicking
    Poisoning
    Remove Trap
    Tinkering


    Warrior Type
    Spoiler:

    Mage Type
    Spoiler:

    Animal Trainer
    Spoiler:

    Treasure Hunter (Advanced)
    Spoiler:

    Don't be afraid to die, you won't lose much that can't be replaced. And if it's something you really don't want to lose, put it in the bank! This can't be stressed enough, make frequent trips to the bank to deposit money because you will die.

  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    And I'm up!

    UAM is up and working (it crashed over night).

  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What exactly is UOAM?

    edit: Also, how the Hell do I chop down trees?

  • SpackleSpackle Registered User
    edited June 2007
    UOAM is tracking software and a nice chat utility so we can see where we are in the game as well has have personal chat. It does more too.

    How far is the guildstone from Britan?

    edit: Get a hatchet. Equip it (drag it from your pack to your paperdoll). Double click the hatchet and click on a tree.

    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Somebody placed a guildstone? Without me knowing?

    I was about to buy a guild stone too.

  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Alright guys, I just downloaded this, and will probably be up until the wee hours of the morning playing tonight.

  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    For the record, I put points into Animal Lore. I'm not sure if I would suggest that since macroing it is so easy. I'm working on Caid's Item ID for the time being while I eat and wake up and stuff.

    I'll probably end up making a second "main" at some point; I'm not sure when though.

  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I played UO back in the day.

    I was just done saying to my friend that I'll never go back.

    Blah, I want to play with you guys now.

    I'm down for making a Treasure Hunter - I always wanted to, never got around to it. Getting a group together and treasure hunting sounds like a blast, especially with this kind of economy.

  • SpackleSpackle Registered User
    edited June 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    Somebody placed a guildstone? Without me knowing?

    I was about to buy a guild stone too.

    Oh i thought it got placed?

    Ok I meant where is our hub :)

    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Spackle wrote: »
    rayofash wrote: »
    Somebody placed a guildstone? Without me knowing?

    I was about to buy a guild stone too.

    Oh i thought it got placed?

    Ok I meant where is our hub :)

    Outside Despise.

  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2007
    I played UO from year1 until shortly after trammel (I was on Siege Perilous so that change didnt effect me) and have done some work on private servers.

    It would be a blast to relive the old days!

    I'll have to stop by IRC if you guys are still usin it.

  • LordsOfPlagueLordsOfPlague Registered User
    edited June 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    We need a tailor character (I might be able to make that). Also, Valkun, do you still plan on making a blacksmith after we get things settled?

    I'm a blacksmith

    durance6qy.jpg
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I made a warriortype guy last night, ran around with a mace and an axe to chop trees when I couldn't find any undead. I really liked how I was raising skills even when I had to run away midfight, which let me succeed easier on my 2nd/3rd/xth try.

  • QuasiStaticQuasiStatic __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2007
    I really liked how I was raising skills even when I had to run away midfight, which let me succeed easier on my 2nd/3rd/xth try.

    surreal

  • SpackleSpackle Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Well you raise when you use them...there's no experience, just a chance to skill increase I guess you could think of it as. The higher you get in your skill, the less chance you have to increase.

    Inherently, UO is very simple. There's nothing really fancy about the skill system. Which is the beauty of it because it worked REALLY well. And thats what we love....

    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • LordsOfPlagueLordsOfPlague Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I inadvertantly caused a war today by running to a highly populated area being chased by a PKer who killed me and went to town on the rest of us. Did anybody get screens of that?

    durance6qy.jpg
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    how do i macro a skill up?

    camo_sig.png
  • SpackleSpackle Registered User
    edited June 2007
    arcath wrote: »
    how do i macro a skill up?

    Depends which skill.

    Something simple like Arms Lore. Have your skills open where you can see Arms Lore. Make sure it's an up arrow as well. You will also need some weapon as well. Have razor open and on the macro tab, Add Macro. I think it's Add Macro.

    Anyways, click Record. It's not waiting for your UO input. So click the arms lore skill, click your weapon. Open razor back up and stop recording. Boom you have a macro! Adjust the waiting timeout and you're good to go.

    Thats the basic idea, you can do a lot more.

    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I've been mulling over my character build options and opted to make my first character a bit of an all-in-one. I know it would be more effective to split characters into jobs, like most people do (ie. mage character, warrior character, crafter/mule character), but I'll worry about a 2nd character if I can even GET to completion on one.

    Here's what I've got thus far:

    Blacksmith
    Mining
    Magery
    WEAPONS (Fencing, swords, maces? Help me out, are quarterstaves great 2 handed weapons still?)
    Tactics
    Healing
    Anatomy

    So not the best fighter, but I can heal and craft as well. I think I'd have more fun playing like this. Any thoughts?

    cathSIG.jpg
    Steam: hewn
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am downloading client now, going to be downloading the rest later.


    I think I am going to enjoy this.

    UA1OmVB.png
  • Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I might be down for trying some UO again if you guys are being all active and guildy

  • SpackleSpackle Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    So I've been mulling over my character build options and opted to make my first character a bit of an all-in-one. I know it would be more effective to split characters into jobs, like most people do (ie. mage character, warrior character, crafter/mule character), but I'll worry about a 2nd character if I can even GET to completion on one.

    Here's what I've got thus far:

    Blacksmith
    Mining
    Magery
    WEAPONS (Fencing, swords, maces? Help me out, are quarterstaves great 2 handed weapons still?)
    Tactics
    Healing
    Anatomy

    So not the best fighter, but I can heal and craft as well. I think I'd have more fun playing like this. Any thoughts?

    Sounds good to me. Nobody says you have to do cookie-cutter builds or playstyle. This guy will be able to cast a few spells, take damage, heal, beat up mobs and you can craft with him.

    Cool!

    edit: just uh dont' expect much from Magery although I imagine you'll be using it for Recall, Mark, Cure, GHeal mostly and not damage dealing....

    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I inadvertantly caused a war today by running to a highly populated area being chased by a PKer who killed me and went to town on the rest of us. Did anybody get screens of that?

    Dagnabit I didn't. I'll turn on fraps.

    Edit: FRAPS doesn't work, I got Ultima Online Screenshot Utility.

  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Who ever becomes a tailer, contact me because I am going to have a surplus of hides from skill grinding. I'll have meat too for cooks

  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Spackle wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. Nobody says you have to do cookie-cutter builds or playstyle. This guy will be able to cast a few spells, take damage, heal, beat up mobs and you can craft with him.

    Cool!

    edit: just uh dont' expect much from Magery although I imagine you'll be using it for Recall, Mark, Cure, GHeal mostly and not damage dealing....

    Cool man, thanks. Yeah, I don't expect much from magery but I remember from my olden days that no character is complete without it. It's a convenience thing.

    Is there a preferred two-handed weapon? Spear? Halberd? Q-staff? I didn't have room for parry, so I might as well two-hand it up. I like the idea of using a quaterstaff, but it's probably not very hot compared to the halberd?

    cathSIG.jpg
    Steam: hewn
  • SpackleSpackle Registered User
    edited June 2007
    Hewn wrote: »
    Spackle wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. Nobody says you have to do cookie-cutter builds or playstyle. This guy will be able to cast a few spells, take damage, heal, beat up mobs and you can craft with him.

    Cool!

    edit: just uh dont' expect much from Magery although I imagine you'll be using it for Recall, Mark, Cure, GHeal mostly and not damage dealing....

    Cool man, thanks. Yeah, I don't expect much from magery but I remember from my olden days that no character is complete without it. It's a convenience thing.

    Is there a preferred two-handed weapon? Spear? Halberd? Q-staff? I didn't have room for parry, so I might as well two-hand it up. I like the idea of using a quaterstaff, but it's probably not very hot compared to the halberd?

    Cool ok I just wasn't sure what you expected out of magery. Definitely rounds out any build. I think it depends on which weapon skill you take but I know Spears are pretty good. Not sure I Halbreds in Angel Island.

    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User
    edited June 2007
    There's a halberd skill? Man, fuck this mace then. How do I untrain, does it just do it naturally as I use another weapon instead?

  • SpackleSpackle Registered User
    edited June 2007
    There's a halberd skill? Man, fuck this mace then. How do I untrain, does it just do it naturally as I use another weapon instead?

    No halbred is a Weapon, I think it uses fencing? Dont' recall.

    As for skill untraining, the skill cap is 700 real. You can set your skills to be locked, go up or go down. So if you want to untrain a skill, you have to train a new one. I don't think you can untrain until the skill cap but once you get there just turn the skill to a down arrow and turn the skill you want to an up arrow. I don't think skill decay is in AI.

    Note: Razor has a fast lock all skills button.

    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • redhaloredhalo Registered User
    edited June 2007
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    so, sorry for not reading/if this has been answered but
    why angel island
    this just kinda seems like a whole bunch of advertising for AI

    raneasig.png
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User
    edited June 2007
    We just wanted to play somewhere, it seemed like a good shard, off we went. Guys like me need to learn the basic UO mechanics before we start trying out a new server with rules like permadeath and RPing and stuff.

  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    UOAM is required if you want to talk to us in game and be able to be heard anywhere.

    Halberd is Swordsmanship, and it's really really usefull. You get a special ability to deal concussion blows that knocks out mages mana and cancels their spells.

    Edit: AI is made to be a lot like pre-trammel UO, plus its very well balanced. Do you know a better shard?

  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Are you guys looking more for 'bustling population' or just a place to get used to the game?

    raneasig.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Are you guys looking more for 'bustling population' or just a place to get used to the game?

    Don't say UOGamers.

    Because if you say UOGamers *shakes fist*

  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    oh no
    nooooo no no no no
    no

    i'm saying Necessary Evil is pre-trammel/uor and is pretty fantastic, if you can get by the like 50 player max population
    but that's mainly because it hasn't been around too long

    Edit: i hate typing that name out i never remember how to spell necessary

    raneasig.png
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User
    edited June 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Are you guys looking more for 'bustling population' or just a place to get used to the game?

    Don't say UOGamers.

    Because if you say UOGamers *shakes fist*

    ?

  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So just to be clear, this server definetly does not have skill decay right? If so I think I'll play a bit. Its been so long I remember nothing about UO so it'll all be essentially new to me.

  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You guys should really play on Hybrid.

    1100+ people online at most times during the day.

    'tis where I play.

    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ugh
    hybrid is awful
    and theres no better place for shitty gm's and being treated like shit than uogamers shards

    raneasig.png
This discussion has been closed.