As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] For the Love of God Do Not Buy Space Siege

1757677787981»

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote:
    Yes, Witcher 1, just jumping on the discussion. I was having a reasonable amount of fun but then it was all downhill after the opener. MMO style questing completely lost me. Bioware has me a bit spoiled on writing.

Bioware has you spoiled on writing and you stopped playing the Witcher before you started the first major quest?

Well it wasn't good. It stuffed me in an open world with questing and exploration with profoundly repetitive combat that was less fun than just quitting and staring at my desktop. I didn't give a shit about any of the characters, and most of the conversations I encountered were tedious. I just wanna know what the good part is, and if I hadn't experienced it yet or if other people are just better at ignoring the bad.

The story gets magnitudes better than Bioware's storytelling after the first chapter, once you get inside the city. Also the combat is missing half it's depth, what with you only having one sword and no bombs, little potions and oils, and only 2(?) magic spells.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Is it just me or is the 1st page now also the last page?

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Finished Portal 2 co-op with a friend of mine. We were having a real hard time with the first part of the final room, and it seems there's a reason why.

This is the way it's supposed to be done. This is what we did.
    We never got the box, and didn't know how we were supposed to get it because we did the painting thing but it never slid out for us. We painted the top orange, then ran and timed jumps so that we could hit the box at the same time. Completely skipped the box and the lasers all together.

steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Combat in Witcher 2 is more like the fighting in Batman: AA. It's like they took the best bits of The Witcher and mashed them up with Arkham Asylum.

If you like the Batman: AA perspective, movement controls and combat, and The Witcher's world, characters and attitude you should get it.

Related question: Should I still definitely play the first Witcher before Witcher 2?

Yes. It has it's flaws but it's still a great game.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    Looks like we did a Time Waaarp!!

steam_sig.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Is this borked for anyone else? Im seeing first page posts on page 81. I dont even know if I'll see this post, and I doubt I'll see any posts responding to it.

Hello?

Hello?

:(

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Holy time warp batman. The entire 81st page is posts from September 9th?

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Tis as I feared, I cannot see a thing. Oh well, until next thread. Au revoir

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    All the bad mouthing of space Siege made me need to buy it. Yes indeed.

steam_sig.png
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote:
    Yes, Witcher 1, just jumping on the discussion. I was having a reasonable amount of fun but then it was all downhill after the opener. MMO style questing completely lost me. Bioware has me a bit spoiled on writing.

Bioware has you spoiled on writing and you stopped playing the Witcher before you started the first major quest?

Well it wasn't good. It stuffed me in an open world with questing and exploration with profoundly repetitive combat that was less fun than just quitting and staring at my desktop. I didn't give a shit about any of the characters, and most of the conversations I encountered were tedious. I just wanna know what the good part is, and if I hadn't experienced it yet or if other people are just better at ignoring the bad.

I tried Witcher 1, couldn't get into it, and jumped straight to Witcher 2. It feels like a very different game in a number of ways (there are still MMO-like billboard quests but they kind of resolve almost automatically while you're wandering through the areas killing monsters).

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Daily deals like that save me some money, yay.

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Lord Yod wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    Has anyone ever made a good scifi dungeon crawler?

There's an absolutely incredible Wii game that deserves a PC port but other than that... I can't think of anything.

I think DoomRL counts. It's pretty great.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Hey. So just popping in to say space siege isn't so bad. It took me a bit, but I actually like the controls now, and can now dodge attacks well enough that health packs aren't ever an issue for me any more. It isn't great. But it was worth the $4.

Josh, ever try Braid?

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Also, I bought Hot Pursuit and Civ V despite having never played any other games in either series. What the hell is wrong with me? I'm contemplating heading out to buy a wheel now.

(Cheap game, yay! Let me go blow a hundred bucks on a controller to play it!)

Check the forums and see which wheels are supported. I have a Driving Force GT and every NFS game I've tried to play with it on PC has controlled like shit. I end up using a 360 controller and having a much better experience.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    I don't really want to spoil myself on any of them, so I probably won't click those.

But if there really are no story links between them, then that's fine.

However, someone DID tell me recently (this was a totally random conversation with a friend of my cousin's at a birthday party) that Fable III was less open-world than Fable 1 or 2? Is that true?

They didn't seem to have a good opinion of the game. At the time I kind of tuned them out because I hadn't even played Fable 2 yet.

If there's really no continuity though, and thus no real reason to play Fable 2 at this point, I guess I'm okay with jumping straight to Fable III. Provided it's good.

It's not. Fable 3 is an awful awful awful game.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Did we go back in time?

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    FORRRUUUUUMMMMMMMMSSSS!

I was reading that! Why am I travelling back in time!

Oh, wait, now I can tell past me not to buy Worms: The New 3denning!!

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Er... Is anyone else seeing this? Page 81 (the latest page in this thread) is just starting over from the beginning of the thread for me. I'm seeing posts from September 9th on the latest page.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    What in the name of Whedon has happened to this thread? How did a bunch of old posts just... repost themselves?

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So people are now using time travel to serve the Newell?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    Thanks to all who recommended Alpha Protocol in this thread. Bought it at $2 and have been greatly enjoying it. Honestly I think it's a much better game than Deus Ex: HR. I guess I value characters, dialogue, and story more than atmosphere and sweet looking takedowns.

FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    why the hell am I seeing the thread from a month ago yet it insists it's the current one on the all threads page?

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Not sure if my post will show up or not, but I think we might need a new Steam thread. Things have definitely got messed up with this one.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Re: Fallout2
    If you talk with the guy and ask him "Do I have to fight?" over and over again, he eventually relents and says something like "you're right, fighting is not the way" and you skip the whole damned thing.
    It takes just as long because you have to do it over and over and over and over again. It's almost faster to just fight the scorpions and everything.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I think my posted was devoured...?

Re: Fallout2
    At the Cave of Trials, if you talk to the guy over and over asking him why you have to fight, he'll eventually relent and allow you to not have to do it, saying something like "fighting is dumb, be excellent to each other, dude" and you won't have to do it.
    However, it takes an assload amount of time, so you're almost better off just trying to fight your way through it anyway. This'll teach you to not go melee combat...

• lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    Is anyone else seeing the first page bug or is that just me?

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Hm, I wonder if we post enough to fill up a page, will we get to see all the posts that have been made since then? What a strange bug.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Well, this thread is fucked.

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Picked up Universe Sandbox on the 24 hour sale they had going for it, because, y'know--whims. Pleasantly surprised, actually. It's clearly not much of a game, but you can still have fun with it. When one of the first tutorial "levels" has you blowing up the moons of Saturn, because, what the fuck why not, then you're doing something right. I was particularly impressed when one of the tutorials showed me how to make the Andromeda galaxy collide with the Milky Way, with all the resulting chaos that entails.

Graphics are so-so, but I imagine that's because they take a back-seat to the ridiculous math and physics involved with making things behave realistically (or semi-realistically). This thing allowed me to increase the mass of the Earth to match that of the Sun. Things got out of hand quickly.

Now, if I could just combine the flexibility of this with the fidelity of Celestia (which, I have to say, is free), then we'd be getting somewhere.

steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I hope I'm not the only one seeing the first page tacked on to the end of this thread...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Metro 2033 for $5? You people need to get this if you haven't already.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Looks like we need a new Steam thread.

This discussion has been closed.