As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim]: Its actually Oblivion 2, in fact, its probably just Fallout with swords.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    There's a land-kraken type thing in the Witcher 2. It's pretty cleverly done.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Hewn wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Well, Dragons are pretty big

Sure, but there's very little indication that dragons are in Skyrim.

I would get a chuckle out of watching someone do a Lets Play of Skyrim using a "Dragon Denier" character.

"That cannot be a Dragon, must be a cloud. Oh no! I have spontaneously combusted!"

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I talking fights that are less man vs beast and more like man vs mountain, bring me some of that Japanese scale, ask me who the hell do I think I am!

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    It's amphibious at best.

It was also one of the few truly subpar sections in that game, given the obscene number of ways you could die by complete bullshit. Though that may have mostly been sorted out by the 2.0 patch. Haven't started a replay with it yet.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Monger wrote:
    mr_mich wrote:
    It's amphibious at best.

It was also one of the few truly subpar sections in that game, given the obscene number of ways you could die by complete bullshit. Though that may have mostly been sorted out by the 2.0 patch. Haven't started a replay with it yet.

I played it on hard and didn't have a problem with it. Amphibious is certainly a better description than land-kraken though.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    Monger wrote:
    mr_mich wrote:
    It's amphibious at best.

I played it on hard and didn't have a problem with it. Amphibious is certainly a better description than land-kraken though.

"Who is it?"
    "Plumber."
    "I don't need a plumber. You're that kraken, aren't you?"
    "...Candygram."
    "Candygram, my foot. You get out of here before I call a witcher. You're the kraken, and you know it."

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    Monger wrote:
    mr_mich wrote:
    It's amphibious at best.

While I'm not a fan of how binary the fight sometimes could be (you really couldn't afford to screw up due to how much damage the thing does on normal and above), it did manage to handle a land fight against something that big without having it turn into hacking at its legs while you see nothing but a lower body on your screen.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Krathoon wrote:
    I really need to beat the first fable. I did beat the second one, however. I heard bad things about the third one.

If you enjoyed fable 2 youll do fine with 3. The story's kind of retarded, but everything else is sufficient. IMHO of course, Tube really hates it

To counter this, I absolutely loved Fable 2, and 3 is one of the most boring, soulless games I've played in a long while. It just feels like a major step back in pretty much every way. Kinda like going from Morrowind to Oblivion. Booyah, on topic!

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I want one of those rocks they put everywhere as a voiced npc companion.

You know the ones, the boulders.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    similarly
    Gaslight wrote:
    mr_mich wrote:
    Monger wrote:
    mr_mich wrote:
    It's amphibious at best.

"Who is it?"
    "Plumber."
    "...Candygram."
    "Candygram, my foot. You get out of here before I call a witcher. You're the kraken, and you know it."

Where is that from?

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Kadoken wrote:
    Where is that from?

LAND SHARK! Old SNL gag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ELlI1nrjE

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote:
    similarly
    Gaslight wrote:
    mr_mich wrote:
    Monger wrote:
    mr_mich wrote:
    It's amphibious at best.

"Who is it?"
    "Plumber."
    "...Candygram."

Where is that from?

SNL Land Shark Sketch from ~1975

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    And there goes my faith in the future.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Spent the majority of the weekend with either myself or my girlfriend playing Oblivion. We came to the conclusion that we will be needing two copies of Skyrim, so we can both spend its launch weekend playing it. Luckily we both have a 360, just need to sort out some room to set them both up.

forumsig.png
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    So, I'm totally stealing this from another forum, which is itself stolen from Game Informer:

From the new Game Informer:

Sabretoothed Tigers are confirmed to be in the game.
    The player threw a wolf he killed into a river, and it went with the tide.
    Just killing a random stranger or two won't be enough for you to join the Dark Brotherhood.
    Two stealth-perks include a 15x damage-increase with a dagger using the Stealth skill, and a perk that allows you to "disappear" from battle.
    Upon exploring Whiterun, you'll be asked if you are a "Battle-Born," or if you belong to the Stormcloaks. On this occasion, the player said "Battle-Born," and got to explore their headquarters without any harm. They offered a quest -- they suspected one of their soldiers had been taken by the Stormcloaks to Northwatch Keep.

a drunkard asks you to go and steal a rare Argonian ale for him, as a small favor.

Smaller tasks such as the one above will appear as a separate tab in the Journal, while the other, lengthier quests that require multiple objectives will appear in the main tab.
    He hears some gossip in the local tavern that a boy in Windhelm is "looking" for the Dark Brotherhood.
    Spoilers about how you are possibly recruited into the Dark Brotherhood:
    Upon visiting the boy in Windhelm, he offers you a contract. The contract has you going to an orphanage to kill a vicious lady who hits the children, and prevents them from being adopted. The orphanage is located in The Rift. Upon arriving there, the player sees how the woman is berating the children, and then stalks her until they are both alone. He kills her. After that, he notices that the children find out, and they all start to laugh/applaud (one even commends the Dark Brotherhood). After that quest is finished, you'll receive a note from the Dark Brotherhood given to you by a courier.
    After that, the writer didn't want to describe what happens next, because of spoilers. He says that if you're a fan of previous questlines, you're going to "love" it, and it has a nice mix of dark humor and brutality. Just as he was about to visit the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary, his time ran out.
    NPCs and creatures will take shelter when it starts to rain.
    You can play games with children (such as "Tag!" in Riverwood).
    A massive, RDR-style horseback chase ensued for one player, with mounted guards from the Imperial Legion chasing him all the way to the gates of Riften.
    If you destroy a city’s means of income, they will need to buy from a nearby city, and the prices of products in said city will go up, or might not even be available in that city at all any more.
    An onscreen warning will flash if you're fighting an enemy too strong for your character, or if you're entering a dungeon that is too highly-leveled.
    As your level progresses, random spawns are scaled (region-dependent), and creatures can also spawn in pairs. Weaker enemies aren't written out of the system; they just become less common.
    Khajiit apparently get a special animation for unarmed attacks.
    Commanded animals will apparently be "easy to manage" (hope this includes a New Vegas-style Companion Wheel, or something).
    Stolen items can be sold to any vendor, as long as nobody saw you stealing them.
    If you attack/steal from a friend, you can ask for forgiveness.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    There is no part of that post I don't like.

ONE MONTH AND ONE DAY.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Destroy a cities means of income? whaaaaaaa

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote:

Oh man oh man!

Maybe you can become the leader of a city as well! Think about it... assume control of a city, destroy another city's means of income and now they have to come to you to buy shit.

Mua ha ha ha!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote:

I think that my first character is likely going to be a smooth-talking ruthless profiteer. Ideally he'll never raise a weapon in anger, and after a few cycles of "acquire industry->burn competition->profit -> acquire new industry" will just buy his way out of trouble in all cases. Hopefully I can eventually give him a monopoly on the game's entire economy. In the Skyrim of my dreams I can bribe giants to hunt dragons for me. After that it's just maniacal laughter all the way down.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Don't know if this was posted or not

Skyrim Map
    skyrimmap.jpg

camo_sig.png
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I am so fucking excited about exploring that place. Holy crap. Especially having started ASoIaF.

Jimmy Marku on
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I was actually expecting something a bit more mountainy.

Corpse throwing as a mechanic should make for some entertaining times.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    After everything I've read, I'm going stealthy for my first playthrough. Viking is tempting but Viking's shady friend is temptinger.

• SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    I'll be going with my usual Breton character. The only problem I'll have is whether I should go for a Nightblade-esque character or a good old Spellsword.

daveNYC wrote:
    I was actually expecting something a bit more mountainy.

Corpse throwing as a mechanic should make for some entertaining times.

No need to wait for them to be a corpse. Even in Oblivion hitting an enemy with a paralysis effect on a slope would send them tumbling down a mountain. It was a preferred way of dealing with wild animal attacks that wouldn't be leaving any real loot if killed. I imagine I'll be doing the same in Skyrim.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm going for my usual Nord forester character: Light armour, longbow, axe and shield. None of that filthy magic.

Shouts don't count. They're northern magic.

Shooting dragons out of the sky then hewing off their heads is going to be SOO GOOD.

Jimmy Marku on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Man...EVERYTHING I learn about this game just makes me want it more. One month from tomorrow can't get here soon enough.

This is probably the most excited I've been about a new release in quite some time.

camo_sig2.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I know!! It feels refreshing to be excited about something for a change.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    This thread is giving me flash backs to oblivion threads close to it's launch.

The hype is almost palpable.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular

You shouldn't. You can still see under the water clearly if you tilt the camera just right. Shitty Gamebryo engine.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote:

You shouldn't. You can still see under the water clearly if you tilt the camera just right. Shitty Gamebryo engine.

I love that glitch. I hate navigating underwater and it makes it so much easier.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Liking that stealing is manageable in this version. None of this marked items business.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Screw it. I want hype. I don't care if it's not perfect. This feeling, now? It's joy, naked joy.
    And picking between damage and stealth for a perk? Genius. I always hated when perks were between obvious and dumb choices. This is a meaningful pick. I only hope the same applies for things like magic. Damage vs long control time for fear effects, etc.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    Duke 2.0 wrote:
    Liking that stealing is manageable in this version. None of this marked items business.

I wonder if there's no marking at all or if it's just the shopkeepers not being able to tell.

Morrowind allowed you to sell stolen items to anyone but had an issue where if you stole something from a vendor it would consider all future items of that type to be the one you stole. While finding a fence was sometimes annoying in Oblivion, it was still miles better than not knowing if what you were about to sell would lead to the guards being called.

Steam Profile
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Gonna make Conan and play this game barbarian style! As little magic as possible! *drool*

Duke 2.0 wrote:

I wonder if there's no marking at all or if it's just the shopkeepers not being able to tell.

Morrowind allowed you to sell stolen items to anyone but had an issue where if you stole something from a vendor it would consider all future items of that type to be the one you stole. While finding a fence was sometimes annoying in Oblivion, it was still miles better than not knowing if what you were about to sell would lead to the guards being called.

Really looking forward to playing a thief slash illusionist. With stolen goods not being marked and not requiring a fence to unload them I think it'll be more fun. I just hope the houses actually have worthwhile things to steal, and not this clay and pewter flatware like in Oblivion.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If they bring in their "clutter" from Fallout, which I'd expect given the other things finding their way into TES, I expect thievery to be pretty great. Fallout was fantastic about almost every house having a little story. Things like a skeleton in a bathtub with a toaster at the other end, a pile of skeletons at a door with packed suitcases in hand, tearful notes, two skeletons holding hands on a bed with suicide pills beside them, etc.

If they can pull off that kind of thing with Skyrim, with its many more populated houses and NPCs, I'll be impressed.

Thinking of that, I hope there are lots of journals and scrolls and shit to read apart from the standard Elder Scrolls library. I really dug that aspect of the new Fallouts when scrounging around in someone's rooms. But there needs to be like, heirloom armor/weapons, rare alchemy reagents, a prized gold carafe, something worth stealing. Not a bunch of fresh food and 20 Septims worth of cloth bolts.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm with you guys. Against my better judgment, I have allowed myself to become incredibly excited for this.

Also, I thought it would go away if I didn't sit down and write it. It didn't go away. I inflict it on all of you.
    Skipping rocks along the beachline pass
    Young boy stops his arms mid-cast
    Waves part for a slimy, wriggling mass
    Emerging

Land Kraken crawls
    (Boy's spine chills and)
    Land Kraken walks
    (Eyes grow wide)
    Land Kraken looms
    (Boy's legs work like they never have, to)
    Land Kraken lives!
    (Get home!)

Quiet village off the coastline mourns
    The youngest of the tribe found torn
    And as families gather forlorn
    Screaming

Land Kraken runs
    (Spear tips shatter on)
    Land Kraken hunts
    (His weathered hide)
    Land Kraken kills
    (Never knowing mercy in those cold, black eyes)
    Land Kraken lives!
    (He rends)

Everlasting!
    Neverending!
    Triumphant beast!
    Undefeatable!
    Insatiable!
    Blood-drenched tentacles reave!

Pounding hoofs betray a paladin's learned
    The terrestrial cephalopod turns
    A writhing shadow in the auburn
    Sunset

Ride, paladin!
    Hold your drawn sword tight!
    Savior paladin!
    Ride, paladin!
    Savior paladin!
    And!
    Now!
    We!
    Strike!

-interlude-

Take a dip
    Clean the splattered viscera
    That fight wasn't fair
    Paladin
    Noble foolish warrior
    Broken armor everywhere

Land Kraken roams
    (Set upon an inky warpath)
    Land Kraken fights
    (He marches)
    Land Kraken feasts
    (He conquers)
    Land Kraken lives!
    Land Kraken thrives!
    Land Kraken lives!
    Nothing survives!

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of New Vegas just to get in the mood for this game. I won't be getting Skyrim immediately, so that'll hold me over past launch. But oooooh man. Wow. Seriously pumped.
    As your level progresses, random spawns are scaled (region-dependent), and creatures can also spawn in pairs. Weaker enemies aren't written out of the system; they just become less common.

I want to know more about this. It kinda depends on how much "less common" they are, but Skyrim would basically have the same problem as Oblivion, only instead of being attacked by random bandits, it would be random horrid snow monsters. If it's more or less the Fallout 3 scaled zones, that's fine.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
This discussion has been closed.