As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kelsey [Chat]ter

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited October 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
amd_kelsey_grammar.jpg

We all love this drunken, crazy, Conservative fuck. We love him for this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUH3Gd9qAA

On Netflix now!

Organichu on

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I'm getting a garlic bread for lunch because I've been craving it for three days straight

don't you fuckin' judge me

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Don't forget, he was also Beast in X3!

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So Cass and Jacob, I'm on the stage four download for CoX. And I did the VIP thing.

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Oh so America is organizing another false flag accusation to justify a war with Iran?

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    So Cass and Jacob, I'm on the stage four download for CoX. And I did the VIP thing.

Yessssss you should make Winged Victory :B

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Nexus, there is a rail branch near you. I can give you coordinates to the nearest point. You make a safe tunnel and a rail station on your end, I will equip it with rail.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    my boss wants me to fly back to San Diego for Oct 24-28

I just got back from Vegas

:(

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:

I need people to play with Villain-side as the Corruptor I made and fell in love with is all about debuffing

But sadly has shitty damage output and dies really easily

Arch wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

I need people to play with Villain-side as the Corruptor I made and fell in love with is all about debuffing

Jacob, Elldren, Choco and I all have level four villains

and I have a level ten villain

Like he basically sprays caustic chemicals at enemies, reducing their defense and damage resistance and attack speed and stuff

He is pretty sweet

Arch wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

Jacob, Elldren, Choco and I all have level four villains

and I have a level ten villain

Cool I am like level 6

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:

Hrm, I could do that. Let me look into this.
    Arch wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

I transferred my 29 Dark/Dark Corrupter to Virtue. She's all about damage and an AoE heal.

edited October 2011
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Arch wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

I transferred my 29 Dark/Dark Corrupter to Virtue. She's all about damage and an AoE heal.

sweeeeet

Arch on
    Also, what's the deal with Going Rogue and VIP? Do I need to buy it?

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Oh so America is organizing another false flag accusation to justify a war with Iran?

I think the level of complicity of the Iranian government is getting pretty blown out of proportion. Nobody's claiming that Ahmadinejad ordered a hit on him or anything like that, just that people who are high up were involved.

In West Wing terms, it's not like
    when bartlett ordered the assassination of the qunari dude or whatever
    it's more like if Donna was involved in plotting terrorist attacks.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    In which Krugman answers a question:
    Why Believe In Keynesian Models?

A correspondent asks a good question: what evidence makes me believe that Keynesian economics is broadly right, given the relative absence of experience with large fiscal stimulus programs?

Mainly I’d stress the first point. We have a model of the way the world works, and the world does indeed seem to work that way. And an implication of that model is that fiscal stimulus will work under conditions like those we face now. If interest rates had soared, if the rise in base money had led to rising GDP and/or soaring prices despite the zero lower bound, I would have sat down to reconsider what I thought I knew about macroeconomics. In fact, however, my preferred model has passed the test of events with flying colors, while the other guys’ models have been totally wrong.

I suspect this is a bad answer - not that it's wrong, but that it's too complicated for simple intuition vis a vis the points that, say, the neo-Austrians like to make. I would have just remarked upon the correlation between money, consumption, and investment.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    More sanctions against Iran, I suppose. I do not rate a war as likely.

The audience being wagged to, if there is wagging, is probably people in Saudi Arabia than in DC...

aRkpc.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote:

I have no idea how any of that stuff works anymore. I bought GR in the past and am able to access it now (I am a VIP) but I don't know what will happen if I stop being a VIP, or if I were a VIP and hadn't bought it.

rRwz9.gif
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    ronya wrote:

Is that before or after Loki gets the Cosmic Cube?

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Also, Chu, you did yeoman work with this chat :^:

rRwz9.gif
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

I have no idea how any of that stuff works anymore. I bought GR in the past and am able to access it now (I am a VIP) but I don't know what will happen if I stop being a VIP, or if I were a VIP and hadn't bought it.
    I can make Praetorians, still, and I'm not a VIP.

Jacobkosh wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

Their implementation of this free to play model is not only the most confusing way to handle it, but also in many areas one of the worst ways to implement it, as we said last night.

ronya wrote:

Is that before or after Loki gets the Cosmic Cube?

Ahahaha, right, fixed.

aRkpc.gif
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:

A correspondent asks a good question: what evidence makes me believe that Keynesian economics is broadly right, given the relative absence of experience with large fiscal stimulus programs?

Mainly I’d stress the first point. We have a model of the way the world works, and the world does indeed seem to work that way. And an implication of that model is that fiscal stimulus will work under conditions like those we face now. If interest rates had soared, if the rise in base money had led to rising GDP and/or soaring prices despite the zero lower bound, I would have sat down to reconsider what I thought I knew about macroeconomics. In fact, however, my preferred model has passed the test of events with flying colors, while the other guys’ models have been totally wrong.

I suspect this is a bad answer - not that it's wrong, but that it's too complicated for simple intuition vis a vis the points that, say, the neo-Austrians like to make. I would have just remarked upon the correlation between money, consumption, and investment.

Krugman doesn't write for people like you though Ronya. He writes for people with at most a basic understand of economic theory in his NY Times articles. Basically try and answer the question in a way that say CC or Arch or even me who are non-economist would understand.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    ronya wrote:

Would this blog post not be aimed at the lay public, rather than the economists amongst us?

edit - what Mazzyx said

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

I think the level of complicity of the Iranian government is getting pretty blown out of proportion. Nobody's claiming that Ahmadinejad ordered a hit on him or anything like that, just that people who are high up were involved.

Dragon Age crossover? :P

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    BTW, DAoC was one of the best "community" MMOs. WoW just got everything that bugged me about having to deal with community down pat. Whereas DAoC you just ostracized the person for being a dickhead and suddenly they couldn't do shit with anyone.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote:
    BTW, DAoC was one of the best "community" MMOs. WoW just got everything that bugged me about having to deal with community down pat. Whereas DAoC you just ostracized the person for being a dickhead and suddenly they couldn't do shit with anyone.

It was, really I miss the community aspect of that game. It never ever appeared in other mmo I have played. There was a point where you knew most the 50's on your side and a lot of them on the enemy side since it was the same people you ran with all the time.

The paladin class community rep was actually a good friend of my mine when I played. Since I played a 2-H pally I gave him so much crap to give us an equal standing to shield pallies.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    FVpTr.jpg

Always bears repeating.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    TehSloth wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

Dragon Age crossover? :P

Lol, caught me, I think it's supposed to be Kumari, same diff.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

Yeah, it looks like being VIP gives you access. And apparently I'm up to like the fifth tier of rewards due to previous play. Which means starting with a damn movement power. And while most of VW's costume is easy to make, there are two issues. First is that I can't have Wings + Cape. Just one. The second is the chest emblem. He's got a very specific one. But other then that, his costume is straight out of comics 101.

I don't get why they got rid of leveling pacts when they unveiled Freedom.

Those were the fucking best.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Nexus, there is a rail branch near you. I can give you coordinates to the nearest point. You make a safe tunnel and a rail station on your end, I will equip it with rail.

weeeeeeeee

Oh, Ronya my post came out too snappy. I meant he writes for non-economist in his blog and op-eds. So there is a reductionism that occurs to get his point across and not be bogged down in the dense language economics and other social sciences can get into when talking theory.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Well - did you understand his point?

When Krugman says - well, look, my model makes these correct claims and their models are falsified, those not already in the choir can just trot down to Right-Wing Blog #1 to see a counter-claim saying exactly the inverse, providing quotes from where Krugman was less circumspect and such. So I suspect that this isn't terribly convincing at the margin.

I don't know how to render the relationship between money, consumption, and investment into an appealing form, but it is a relationship that is difficult to intuitively justify except in broadly Keynesian strokes. So is a claim about fiscal stimulus and changes in money base aggregates at the zero bound, but this latter relationship is even more so, and without grabbing hold of one's mental model of the economy there is a perennial tendency to fall back into folk-economics mode.

aRkpc.gif
    Thanatos wrote:
    I don't get why they got rid of leveling pacts when they unveiled Freedom.

Those were the fucking best.

apparently those will be coming back at some point in the future.

rRwz9.gif
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Does winky log in anymore

I may end up running into his house

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I just noticed that Qunari and Quarian are nearly anagrams.

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TL,DR wrote:
    clooney

Always bears repeating.

I feel uncomfortable with how popular Krugman is amongst people who don't understand him 90% of the time, but are happy to quote him. I guess a Nobel would do that to one's reputation, but still don't like it.
    Not intended for anybody in this thread as I don't even know if he was mentioned before the picture.

Edit:
    Krugman doesn't write for people like you though Ronya. He writes for people with at most a basic understand of economic theory in his NY Times articles.

I don't agree with that at all, unless the word basic changed meaning at some point.

zeeny on
    ronya wrote:
    Well - did you understand his point?

When Krugman says - well, look, my model makes these correct claims and their models are falsified, those not already in the choir can just trot down to Right-Wing Blog #1 to see a counter-claim saying exactly the inverse, providing quotes from where Krugman was less circumspect and such. So I suspect that this isn't terribly convincing at the margin.

I don't know how to render the relationship between money, consumption, and investment into an appealing form, but it is a relationship that is difficult to intuitively justify except in broadly Keynesian strokes. So is a claim about fiscal stimulus and changes in money base aggregates at the zero bound, but this latter relationship is even more so, and without grabbing hold of one's mental model of the economy there is a perennial tendency to fall back into folk-economics mode.

Basically the models he uses and what has occurred(still low borrowing rates for the US government and no rapid inflation) has shown it is still time to borrow and use that money to increase demand by certain styles of stimulus programs. But if the inverse happened he would have to rework his view on macroeconomics and look for different models to explain how the economy works.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.