As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flay's Flailings (NSFW/NSF56K)

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    oh hey that is like even more adorable

tapeslinger on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And another!

EDIT: Updated

CRuCh.png

Old animated version

Flay on
    edited June 2011
    Working on some portraits of my friends as various fantasy archetypes. Crits would really be appreciated!

TMZ8F.jpg

Flay on
    edited June 2011
    Working on an animation for Valve's music video contest. Not much yet, but it's a start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syEYVHMe0i8

Flay on
    edited July 2011
    Still working on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp3N7xgSg6Y

Animation is hard.

Also some changes to this:

KWAsR.jpg

Flay on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Flay wrote: »
    lhNJz.png

This is cool! Do more of these!

desperaterobots on
    edited July 2011
    I'd like to try a few more. Thanks!

Also, I 'finished' this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWeQGNYA54Q

Flay on
    edited July 2011
    This counts as art right?

vSlQT.jpg

Flay on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    EW

looks cool though

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    What? So now every serial killer is an artist too? Think again.
    But as a comment to a serial killer I'd say: Good jerb, looks terrifying.
    please don't murder anyone, I was only joking.

• JABMonkeyJABMonkey Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    Flay wrote:
    This counts as art right?

vSlQT.jpg

This completely creeped me out. I hope I can get it out of my head before trying to sleep... excellent work.

edited July 2011
    JABMonkey wrote:
    This completely creeped me out. I hope I can get it out of my head before trying to sleep... excellent work.

Mission complete.

@M3nace: I'm not promising anything.

Flay on
    edited July 2011
    UOVoH.png

Flay on
    edited August 2011
    Here's another short animation, for university.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iujqqz4j2s

Current plan is to tweak a few of the movements and add some static in during the 'quiet' sections. I know there isn't really enough time at the end, unfortunately I have a 10 second limit.

Flay on
    edited September 2011
    I've been going to figure drawing classes every week (one with tutoring, one without), and damnit I feel like I'm slowly unlearning everything I know about drawing.

1.5 hours from a live model:

kVxhA.jpg

Sorry for the shitty photo, it's too big to scan. Also that face is stupidly small and weird looking.

Flay on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Good job on starting the figure drawing, stick with it! Unlearning old habits in favor of better ones can be really slow, but you will be happy when you start to see the improvements. Dont forget to try and apply things you learn to your other work, when you get back to personal projects, it gives the process great positive reinforcement.

edited September 2011
    Heh, if only I was replacing the old with new knowledge. But thanks! Just have to stick at it.

Flay on
    edited September 2011
    Another university assignment. Our brief was pretty much just to make (at least) three images using photomontaging in photoshop, on whatever topic we like. I decided to make a series of movie posters reinterpreting Peter and the Wolf in to different movie genres.

Here's horror:

nlQpj.jpg

I can't seem to get the lighting on the deer in the top right to look right, at the doodles on the wall are pretty much placeholders at the moment. Any feedback for this? I have a long time before hand-in so I'll definitely be working on this some more.

Also, if I want to learn anything I'm going to have to start posting more sketches for feedback. Here's yesterday's sketch of a skull from life, about one hour:

3ZILc.jpg

I'm going to focus on still-life drawing for a little while instead of figure drawing. I need to pay less attention to the paper and more to the subject.

Flay on
    I'm trying to get the hang of holding the pencil 'properly'...

hold-drawing-pencil-2.jpg

...but when I do I feel like I have about a quater of the control over the pencil that I normally do, especially on small sketchbooks. Should I be being so anal about this, how important is the way you hold your pencil?

Also some drawings:

Geaqu.jpg

Negative space drawing of a dragon figurine:

iOYJx.jpg

I absolutely cannot get guesture right, so I'm trying a different method where I don't take the pencil off of the page. Not much success:
    HaaWB.jpg

edited October 2011
    8GlS3.jpg

More shitty gestures. I've been trying to do at least half an hour of them each day, these ones are five minutes each:

50Czy.jpg

Flay on
    edited October 2011
    EJGMD.jpg

And a master study (Sargent, a little rushed after I realised I was working much too small and wouldn't be able to do any sort of fine detailing):

2a53y.jpg

Reference

Flay on
    I'll leave these here in case I ever want to find them again:

5k9n9.png

22ayb.jpg

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Regarding how to hold your pencil -

I only hold my pencil like that when working larger. Probably anything 8x10 and smaller I just hold the pencil like I do when I write. There certainly can be benefits to working with the pencil like that small...but only for blocking in large areas of value quickly.

rts on
    cakemikz wrote:
    Regarding how to hold your pencil -

I only hold my pencil like that when working larger. Probably anything 8x10 and smaller I just hold the pencil like I do when I write. There certainly can be benefits to working with the pencil like that small...but only for blocking in large areas of value quickly.

Oh good, I'd pretty much given up.

edited October 2011
    Can anyone help me find what's glaringly wrong with this? I don't know much about animation.

aSQYs.gif

Also more just-in-case doodles:

yR9mo.jpg

WOgfK.jpg

Flay on
    theres no bounce on that walk.
    WalkCycle_Side.jpg

edited October 2011
    Good point. Better?

ZmzWf.gif

Flay on
    edited October 2011
    Did you cheat on the legs? It looks like you are are using the same frames for each step. If you are, dont. If you aren't, maybe try and lift up the foot a little so its not traveling so close to the ground on the pass position.
    but it does look better.

Iruka on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    hehe
    still love that bear (maybe I should do a rotating av again).

it's on my hard-drive, anyway.

@Iruka: Yep, I did, will fix.

@Tynic: No probs, it was fun to draw. :P

• LyricalLyrical Registered User regular
    RE: pencils and unlearning drawing--
    I go through phases of forcing myself to properly hold a pencil, and it feel so unnatural, like my body is just rejecting my whole arm, I can't get past it.

A painter friend of mine does wonderful sketchbook drawings just dangling a pen by it's very end, all the control coming from the elbow. It's nuts.

edited November 2011
    Lyrical wrote:
    RE: pencils and unlearning drawing--
    I go through phases of forcing myself to properly hold a pencil, and it feel so unnatural, like my body is just rejecting my whole arm, I can't get past it.

A painter friend of mine does wonderful sketchbook drawings just dangling a pen by it's very end, all the control coming from the elbow. It's nuts.

I know the feeling, if I'm drawing on small paper and using a loose grip I feel like I've just lost an entire life's worth of coordination.

Here's a rough version of the animation I'm working on. I'm still using the old walk cycle at the moment, I'm going to get started on fixing the details now and the obvious errors now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVau-uOrmk

Flay on
    edited November 2011
    These are getting close to finished, is there anything that needs to be fixed?

VUicW.jpg

IAAqa.jpg

1q8CT.jpg

Flay on
    More fantasy portraits:

JD2zQ.png

• McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    I really like the shapes in that last one. Maybe careful of the right hand. The colours are looking great though and I love how clean it is.

edited November 2011
    Thanks! Yeah, that hand is pretty wonky, I'll have to fix that before I print these out.

Have another:

zumb0.png

Flay on
    edited December 2011
    One more! Me this time.

CIDoT.png

Flay on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    The last couple look a little half done to me... I know you're going for minimal but I really think the lack of facial features looks weird.

Personally, if I were doing something similar, I'd go with 2 (maybe 3) colours and suggest a lot more than you show.

Still nice work though, good to see new stuff from you mate.

Yeah I feel the same way. I'll definitely give that a shot. I'm not really happy with the colour scheme of any of them. In fact I'll probably going to go over all of the portraits once I have a full set done (one more to go). Thanks!

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    your archer seems to have a cat infestation

they have sprays for that