As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BSoD Constantly, Even After Reinstall

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
So, on Saturday, I got a BSoD. It was a memory error, something about unpaged space. Now, I'm getting them every time the machine is on more than an hour, even in Safe Mode. They always say a different error occurred.

I reinstalled Windows, I've run chkdsk /F/R, I'm looking for any other options.

OS is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Edit: Oh, and after the reinstall, it tells me the non-system HDD is "not accessible", and when I attempt to run chkdsk on that HDD, it BSoD's.

Edit again: Tonight I'm going to try removing the RAM I have one at a time and then... I don't really know what stress test I would do.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Have you run memtest?

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    That is an excellent point, I'll do that tonight.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Oops, or no I won't. No burner available, no one I know has Linux for the USB key version. Hmm.

• Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    Oops, or no I won't. No burner available, no one I know has Linux for the USB key version. Hmm.

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.usb.installer.zip

• Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    You can also use the built in memory diagnostics test from Microsoft.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

go down to step 2 to run it from the boot menu. I've had similar problems on an old desktop and had the best luck by testing each stick of RAM separately and running multiple passes (the bad RAM passed the first couple test runs cleanly and didn't fail until the 3rd or 4th run). Changed out the bad RAM and that stopped the BSoDs.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Of note: it's worth checking your motherboard voltage and RAM voltage are set correctly. My brother had continuous BSOD problems with his computer because his motherboard was a 1.5V system and his RAM was actually 1.65V. Bumping the output in the BIOS fixed it.

• Options
    QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    Oh, and after the reinstall, it tells me the non-system HDD is "not accessible", and when I attempt to run chkdsk on that HDD, it BSoD's
    Does it blue screen when doing anything else? This makes me think problem is with that drive, it's sata cable, sata port on mainboard or mainboard itself. Try moving the cable to a different port, then a different cable, then run it without that drive at all, see what happens. If you still BS without that drive, then check temps.

PSN/Steam - Quantux

• Options
    edited October 2011
    stigweard wrote:

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.usb.installer.zip

Wait, why the fuck is that in no way indicated on the main site? They specifically say you can't use a USB if you don't have Linux. God damn it I could have had this done by today.

Edit: anyway yeah when I get time again it'll just be doing memtest, followed by the voltage check, followed by testing each RAM stick individually. I don't think it's the HDD, as this has been happening even when doing nothing but using AIM in safe mode.

durandal4532 on