As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Due to two raid members being out with Canadian Holidays and my co-tank wanting to switch to healing for a night and our DPS warrior being forced to offtank for the evening, we knocked Heroic Alice down to normal. And normal was easy. Not just easy, but EASY. So easy that we had to call dps STOPS on the hatchlings to make sure they were alive long enough to eat both worm pops. So easy that our mage, who is used to being up in the air alone, was shocked when suddenly two flying prot warriors were zipping around the sky as our raid leader said in vent 'You two had better make sure you get back down here before the tornados spawn!' as we were typing in chat 'When Warriors FLY!' and 'Death from aboooooove!'

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yes, nerfed normal modes are pretty easy for a guild that was working on heroics pre-nerf. I think that's the intent.

I think it might be possible to do Baleroc with only two people doing crystals, but it would be pretty close. Three could do it for sure.

forty on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    For Baleroc:
    On 10 man you can do 2 people on crystals, with a 3rd for emergencies.

On 25 man we need to use 4.

Normal Alysrazor post nerf was boring, and that was before we tried doing it on hardmode.

Oh, also, my raid leader said, when looting Rags chest, "Ok, we'll roll on the SURPRISE last." Turns out, we had the egg drop. Only second one on the server. Went to our fire mage, who promptly went to show it off in Org.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    JediNight wrote:
    It's nothing new that people are extremely lazy with gear. More people need to votekick others for gross negligence in gear. It's not that it's a bad idea, it's that they don't value the time and effort of others. When I had a tank alt I crafted all the BOE epics I could, full enchants, reforge, etc. before I even attempted Heroics as I didn't want to be a burden on a group. (Similar for my Rogue main)

Inspecting people would far too often show missing enchants, no gems or terrible green gems, all sta gems, lots of pvp gear, green quality equipment, etc.

It shows a lack of effort and lack of respect for your fellow players and I wouldn't stand for it. Why should we carry you while I do 3x more DPS on my Rogue? Or why should the run take way longer than it should because you are undergeared as a tank and/or have never done the boss before/researched it and never even ran it on normal mode or ask us what to do?

Carrying bad people just reinforces that as acceptable behavior.

See this was exactly my attitude with my Druid alt. I tried to get as much gear as I could so I wouldn't be a burden to the group - and this was even with Boomkin spec.

I am a little more forgiving about gems/enchants in random LFD, *but* everything IMO should be gemmed. Even if it's green gems. There is no fucking excuse, they are not expensive. Worst case, buy some Wrath epic gems or something. Enchants are a little more pricy so only having a few things enchanted and maybe not with the *best* enchants, ok. That's fine. But there should be *some* effort there too.

I really wish Blizzard would enforce this in *some* way. Maybe an ilvl hit for every ungemmed piece of gear or something.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote:
    Oh, also, my raid leader said, when looting Rags chest, "Ok, we'll roll on the SURPRISE last." Turns out, we had the egg drop. Only second one on the server. Went to our fire mage, who promptly went to show it off in Org.

We got one last week too. Went to one of our healing palis.

• thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote:
    Heroic Alysrazor = The olympics of situational awareness.

Spent half the night wiping on her, our best attempt was a heartbreaker that was sub 1 mil health (my bubble was down due to being caught out of position with the meteor being on the other side of the map when I was trying to kill a Burning Initiate, and the mage that was left blew iceblock but the dots that were up weren't enough).

Are you using two healers so that you can send two DPS up in the air? Or whatever the equivalent ratio would be for 25 man?

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So, our Boomkin/Rdruid, who's been with the guild forever, is quitting raiding. If anyone has a dps they want to bring in to a 6/7H, working on phase 4, 4 nights/week horde guild on Bronzebeard, we'd love to have you, and we're not afraid of gearing people up if they know what they're doing.

In other news, Tanking Loot Exists! I got the trinket and our warrior got the helm. First time either has dropped. Still no axe in 16 kills (or in the 6-7 times I've killed it on alts, either).

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    4 nights a week? Jesus christ. What do you do for 3 of those nights.

Edit: Oh, H-Rag. We are trying him on Thursday. It's a shame the rest of the instance can be cleared in like 3 hours.

Also, on the topic of cool mounts - we got the Rag eggy and the Alys egg back to back. 3/3 this week hopefully!

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote:
    Heroic Alysrazor = The olympics of situational awareness.

Spent half the night wiping on her, our best attempt was a heartbreaker that was sub 1 mil health (my bubble was down due to being caught out of position with the meteor being on the other side of the map when I was trying to kill a Burning Initiate, and the mage that was left blew iceblock but the dots that were up weren't enough).

Are you using two healers so that you can send two DPS up in the air? Or whatever the equivalent ratio would be for 25 man?

It's 25 man.

In general it's because people were failing at situational awareness, and this is a raid-wide thing. On that particular attempt we were already out of battle rezzes when one tank went down on the last group of hatchlings. The other tank picked up both and valiantly held onto them as long as possible, but there just wasn't enough dps still alive to burn her down after she fell out of the sky.

I know... we did 6/7 in 1:20 this week... Luckily we're making good progress on Rag. I would hope after 119 wipes or whatever we're at now.

• BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    The biggest killers on Heroic Alysrazor are the worms. Tell people to GTFAway from the worms. And also, if you have like 1 feather, you run just as fast as the tornados, we've had people almost die to the tornado because they started running with it when it spawned and it never got in front or behind them before it started ticking for damage.

We've been working on Heroic Rag for about 2 weeks now. We have 35 attempts on him and still have problems with people not being able to move for seeds correctly. Every attempt I say "Okay, Seeds are comming in 10 seconds, watch your bar and focus." and every attempt but the last 2 we've had at least one person move to early or too late. The people that move too late kill themselves, but the people that move too early do 40k damage to everyone else. It's a pretty frustrating mechanic doing it this way. How many tries do you need to know when you have to move out of the way?! AAAARRRRRGH

edited October 2011
    It's a shame the rest of the instance can be cleared in like 3 hours.
    You spelled "relief" incorrectly.

Edit: One feather is still slower than the tornados. Two is where you hit the sweet spot of being just about the same speed.

forty on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    I propose that we refer to the new store pet situation as "Cats for Gold."

Staghelm apparently really wants me to waste 2200 VP on a T12 DPS chest on my DK.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote:

Yo dawg, we heard you like fire, so we gave a firehawk from the firelands to yo firemage so he can firefirefire

Sorry, had to.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    My guild has gotten three of the Ragnaros eggs. Two warlocks and a hunter have won them. This proves that ranged DPS is overpowered.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I really want one of those.

Do they drop more frequently on 25 or something?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    Staghelm apparently really wants me to waste 2200 VP on a T12 DPS chest on my DK.

I already caved. Fucking prick needs to drop my chest tonight.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    We downed Rag for the first time tonight. I know he's been heavily nerfed, but the fight is still engaging and difficult.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    My guild has gotten three of the Ragnaros eggs. Two warlocks and a hunter have won them. This proves that ranged DPS is overpowered.

We've been clearing Rag 25 since 2nd week it's been out and we have not seen a single one.

steam_sig.png
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, so I know we're kind of done with this argument,but I'm just going to leave this here:
    WoWScrnShot_101211_235308.jpg

Bonus, his second trinket is the 510 stam one.

second super bonus, I, the warlock, was the only one who "knew how to do the suit"

so of course our group fails foereaper.

belligerent on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Ignore my terrible Deepz. I'm drunk as hell.

EDIT: I'm the bad warrior.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    6800dps? lol... If I remember correctly, I was doing about 14-20kdps in 346 gear on my Rogue.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I was in that battlegroup when I played.

People were pretty chill. Most of the nastiness I got in LFDs were while I was playing in the battlegroup for Crushridge. Non-guild pugs were bad there.

There was one funny story, though. Week of the ICC Wrath patch, I was queueing with a Druid friend tanking and wound up in Old Kingdom with another shammy healing. Nice guy, except that he gave me shit the whole time about my gear ("why the fuck do you use haste? All attack power, nub, I should know because I cleared Deathwhisper this week!"). Uneventful up until the last boss, when he decides he wants to school me and swaps spec. Nobody minds, in fact my friend swaps to boomkin to see how he does with his new caster set. So this guy charges, full AP tier 9 set, and pulls the boss. Us being nice guys, we charge up with him and he and I swap aggro while every one else lays into the boss from range. The instant he goes down, shammy shouts for meters.

If you're familiar with how shammy gear worked at the time, you'll know why I whomped this guy in damage. Moment of smug, though, came from boomkin friend in greens and blues who also managed to smoke the shaman in full T9.

He took off without another word. Dunno if he ever figured out that patch swapped stat priority for Enhancement shammies, but hopefully he learned a thing or two about knowing when and when not to bitch about someone's gear.

naengwen on
    edited October 2011
    UGH Great raiding week so far. O_o Heroic Alys just murdered us tonight. Last weekend the MT and I sat down and redid my gear top down. changed to a 1.2 ratio parry to dodge and maxed mastery as much as possible. During the HAlys fight I was watching DMG taken and the healers were still saying I am "hard to heal"... ugh on good attempts I actually took less overall dmg than the pali but gotta love those spurts of non block/avoidance that warriors have. On the attempts where the worms were evenly spaced and the RNG gods were being kind to me on spikes someone would die to a tornado or something like that.

Well they brought in the Bear tank who is "easier to heal" downed her then destroyed the heroic token because of course... Warrior token and not one of the classes were there. Same on HShanny yesterday. Practically had to force the shaman to take the token. Yay!

Jubal77 on
  • StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    not worth talking about anymore

Strika on
    Speaking of Heroic Alys, got her down last night in 3 pulls.

Then we went on and goofed up the Penitent achievement again...and this was with making sure that everybody but the 6 assigned people went up (the reason it got goofed was due to one side's people not synching up properly with the other side's).

Also, my first time tanking Heroic Staghelm...I can see why pallies are preferred for tanking that fight.

Oh yeah, and one of my guildies got to have a large version of himself with a special staff sitting on a gigantic blue dragon in Org and I got a new pet.

Buddies wrote:
    We've been working on Heroic Rag for about 2 weeks now. We have 35 attempts on him and still have problems with people not being able to move for seeds correctly. Every attempt I say "Okay, Seeds are comming in 10 seconds, watch your bar and focus." and every attempt but the last 2 we've had at least one person move to early or too late. The people that move too late kill themselves, but the people that move too early do 40k damage to everyone else. It's a pretty frustrating mechanic doing it this way. How many tries do you need to know when you have to move out of the way?! AAAARRRRRGH

Trust me on this. MAKE everyone in your raid get DBM. I like Biggwigz better, and so does everyone I know, but get DBM. The timer is always exactly right and it has an audio warning, which is a million times harder to miss than another timer on top of the million others in that fight. If everyone moves the instant she says "One", you'll be perfect. There's a checkbox in the settings to change the behavior to count for landing instead of spawn - don't mess with it.

As for us, we got him to 19% twice last night, and at least half our attempts were cleanly into phase 4. Once our deluge dudes get it figured out and healers arrange how to keep up the tanks when they run out for roots, I think we're going to be golden.

Last night I learned, after muting my mic, that my calling things out during fights is actually something the rest of the raid depends on. Who knew? I had hoped that people would pick up on things on their own, but after thinking about it, I guess if they could pick up on things I wouldn't have started calling them out in the first place.

All three were from 10-man, and they were all in about the first two months of 4.2, so we just got really lucky there for a while. Haven't seen one in a while now. Cataclysm sealed our fate as a 25-man guild.

Speaking of sealed fates, I think I'm going to declare the Hellscream server dead. It looks like Horde is back to losing TB 80-90% of the time.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, so I know we're kind of done with this argument,but I'm just going to leave this here:
    bad dps

Bonus, his second trinket is the 510 stam one.

second super bonus, I, the warlock, was the only one who "knew how to do the suit"

so of course our group fails foereaper.

I missed whatever argument was apparently had but...what? That image just shows a shitty player. Yes, everyone should strive to replace PvP gear with at least 353 zulroic gear, but honestly the 358 gear is better than any of the 333 gear you would have normally started heroics in, and arguably better than 346 heroic gear since primary stats are king for everyone right now. I could easily counter that image with my unholy dk in 7/8 358 pvp and a 333 sword doing 14k single target on a boss. Granted, he's got 365/359 accessories/trinkets but still.

I won't argue that PvP geared people in heroics aren't always the brightest bulbs in the box but it isn't some rule that pvp gear = terribad. I will argue that there's not any better gear out there for a fresh 85 starting heroics and it's highly unlikely you'll even find better gear outside of zulroics.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Oh cool, that discussion is back. =P In other news, I've been very surprised at how fast the trek from 80 to 85 has been. Obviously rested xp is a large factor, but my wife and I are going to be 85 a handful of quests into Uldum, and we've only completed Vashj'ir and Deepholm quest achievements. I suppose wrath was the same way though. I'll definitely be doing all the quests in all the new zones for story, gold, and rep though.

Joshmvii on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I do think it does hand in hand. people who don't care about their performance, who just want to do dungeons, use whatever gear is cheapest to get into the dungeon. what's funny is I didn't even care or notice until someone else did the inspection. But this is why there's such a stigma against people in pvp gear, that they just dont' care. it's not everyone, but it's enough.

• TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote:
    UGH Great raiding week so far. O_o Heroic Alys just murdered us tonight. Last weekend the MT and I sat down and redid my gear top down. changed to a 1.2 ratio parry to dodge and maxed mastery as much as possible. During the HAlys fight I was watching DMG taken and the healers were still saying I am "hard to heal"... ugh on good attempts I actually took less overall dmg than the pali but gotta love those spurts of non block/avoidance that warriors have. On the attempts where the worms were evenly spaced and the RNG gods were being kind to me on spikes someone would die to a tornado or something like that.

Well they brought in the Bear tank who is "easier to heal" downed her then destroyed the heroic token because of course... Warrior token and not one of the classes were there. Same on HShanny yesterday. Practically had to force the shaman to take the token. Yay!

Firstly you shouldn't be having any time issues with getting between worms. If you have to slow down because of their flame, throw a CD if tantrum might come up and wait for the fire to pass.

Secondly, spurts of non-avoidance that warriors have? Oh boy, do I (a DK tank) want a word with you.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I do think it does hand in hand. people who don't care about their performance, who just want to do dungeons, use whatever gear is cheapest to get into the dungeon. what's funny is I didn't even care or notice until someone else did the inspection. But this is why there's such a stigma against people in pvp gear, that they just dont' care. it's not everyone, but it's enough.

So what is your solution? Should I dump my PvP gear and take noticably worse gear, when I perform just as well, if not better, than anyone in normal heroic gear; just to appease some stereotype?

Yes, it is easy to get the 358 gear. I have 10 85's. When I got one to 85 fresh I'd outfit them with a full set of (prior 338, but only to replace sub 333 gear, never replaced 333 gear) of 358 so that they can jump in heroics. And I can do just as well as anyone else. I think it'd be dumb to say "nope, I'm gonna stick with 318/325 gear from questing and work my way up through 333 then 346 to get to the same level I can get in 10 minutes of crafting."

Yeah, no. Sorry. Like I said, I know there are bad players in pvp gear; hell it might even be a majority of them. But I don't think I need to hamper myself when starting out at 85 just to be "pure" or some nonsense. And the gear itself != bad DPS.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited October 2011
    Some new balance changes in latest version of patch notes

Looks to be aimed primarily at the underachieving DPS specs:
    Deathknight
    Unholy Might now increases Strength by 25%, up from 20%.

Druid
    Bear Form now provides an armor bonus of 120% at all levels, up from 65% for characters below level 40, making it easier for lower level druids to tank dungeons.

Hunter
    Beast Mastery
    Animal Handler now increases Attack Power by 30%, up from 25%.

Survival
    Explosive Shot damage has been increased by 15%.

Mages
    Pyroblast’s initial damage has been increased by approximately 26%, and its damage over time has been increased by approximately 100%.

Fireball damage has been increased by approximately 17%.

Living Bomb damage over time has been increased by approximately 10%, and explosion damage has been increased by approximately 120%.

Priests
    Guardian Spirit’s healing bonus has been increased to 60%, up from 40%.

Holy Word: Serenity now has a cooldown of 10 seconds, down from 15 seconds.

Warlocks
    Soul Fire now scales with 72.6% of spell power, up from 62.5%.

Demonology
    Master Demonologist now grants a base bonus of 20% 18.4% and 2.5% 2.3% per mastery, up from 16% and 2% per mastery.

Impending Doom is now also activated by Soul Fire.

Destruction
    Cataclysm now increases Fire damage by 30%, up from 25%.

Fire and Brimstone now increases the damage of Incinerate and Chaos Bolt on Immolated targets by 5/10/15%, up from 2/4/6%.

Burning Embers now deals damage equal to 25/50% of Soul Fire and Imp’s Firebolt, up from 15/30%.

Burning Embers damage cap has been raised.

Shadowburn now deals Shadowflame damage, instead of Shadow damage.

Improved Soul Fire now lasts 20 sec, up from 15sec.

Warriors
    Charge (and related abilities) should now correctly path to a target even if the target moves during the Charge. This change should decrease the likelihood of the warrior Charging to a different location than the target.

Slam now uses a new character attack animation.

Colossus Smash now uses a new character attack animation.

Fury
    Dual Wield Specialization no longer increases Physical damage by 5%. It continues to increase off-hand attack damage by 25%.

Nobody on
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote:
    Last night I learned, after muting my mic, that my calling things out during fights is actually something the rest of the raid depends on. Who knew? I had hoped that people would pick up on things on their own, but after thinking about it, I guess if they could pick up on things I wouldn't have started calling them out in the first place.

My favorite quip during raid was "WoW is hard" when being asked if I could try to do something, or if I was told they weren't sure they should bring me in on something they had been doing attempts without me already, etc...

But apparently WoW IS hard for way too many people for some unexplainable reason...

Ex: I was moving to a new city and took a month off to re-situate myself. Came back when they were 2 weeks into attempts on Eredar Twins in Sunwell. They sat me for them for like 3-4 raid nights until they finally put me in. (Thought I was going to die a lot and need to learn the fight) 2nd attempt I was in we got the kill and I was #1 DPS.

Doing Heroic ... uhh whatever the blind guy is in BWD. People would be dying to the sound bombs in P2 so everyone was running around like chickens "don't stop running or you'll be hit!" ... even on Heroic I could just stand there ... circle appears under me. Take 2 steps to the side. Another circle. Two steps other way, etc.

And this was even in the top raiding guild on the server that was ranked like world 200th or something so we were by no means a scrub raid guild. I could give plenty of other examples, but thats more than enough.

edited October 2011
    Topia wrote:
    Jubal77 wrote:

Firstly you shouldn't be having any time issues with getting between worms. If you have to slow down because of their flame, throw a CD if tantrum might come up and wait for the fire to pass.

Secondly, spurts of non-avoidance that warriors have? Oh boy, do I (a DK tank) want a word with you.

I had to slow down because the healer thought I was leaping there. Just generally having a hard time healing me. It's been a constant statement to me for awhile. I have tried several different reforge/gem strats but I think I'm ok now. As a warrior I have TWO CDs that is it. Then I have to start using the long cd heal or cookie. I rotate my Stand and trinkets, and try to keep shield wall for the tantrum after the second worm. What gets me is that 40 seconds out of every minute that shield block isn't up.

Also you get some good lovin in 4.3. I haven't seen any for warriors. :(

Jubal77 on