As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MSPA: this is the end...the end of SSG dog racing

• Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    it turns out my laptop will charge with that adapter as long as it's turned off/sleeping/hibernating, i just can't use it while i'm USING the laptop. so i can use it for like an hour at a time, but really the desktop is just more convenient for now.

also i discovered today that this desktop is so shitty it can't play portal even on absolute minimum everything settings (we're talking, like, maybe 5 fps anytime there is a medium sized room or *gasp* a PORTAL on screen), so i guess i just have to let my sister use my laptop tomorrow and play as much of it as she can!

which i guess means that free copy you gifted us was kind of wasted, sorry :(

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    what kinda desktop can't even run portal? My shitass athlon rig from forever ago can run source games if I crank the settings down

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    No wait don't tell me it's like a dell or a gateway or something and doesn't have a video card, rigtht?

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    No wait don't tell me it's like a dell or a gateway or something and doesn't have a video card, rigtht?

my dell vista desktop couldn't run portal well

no video card

• Options
    Oh Dell

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway don't worry 'bout wastin' the gift like I said I had two copies sitting there since every single human on the planet owns portal already

also if she ever gets a better computer she can give it a try

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I thought my laptop could run portal

then I fired a portal

• Options
    My NETBOOK will almost run portal

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I wouldn't be surprised if my phone could handle Portal.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    oh wait no it was portal 2 that made my computer shit itself as soon as I fired a portal

I don't think I've run portal 1 on it

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Portalstuck

the kernel is a lie

• Options
    portal 1 is probably not a ton less demanding, but some maybe

I'm assuming your laptop is using integrated video speed? 'cause if you have any kinda discrete gpu and it's choking on portal that is not right

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Land of Turrets and Cubes

Heir of Cake

• Options
    edited October 2011
    portal 1 is probably not a ton less demanding, but some maybe

I'm assuming your laptop is using integrated video speed? 'cause if you have any kinda discrete gpu and it's choking on portal that is not right

yeah integrated video

I feel bad because it was a birthday present from my parents, who bought a really expensive laptop specifically because they thought it would be able to run modern games on it

it handles Team Fortress 2 alright and that is about it

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    I really hate how a lot of computer vendors sell like, really high end hardware all around EXCEPT the gpu, and just shove integrated or a really underpowered part on you instead.

A mid range gpu is gonna go way further than an extra hundred or two hundred dollars worth of cpu in a laptop, but nope.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    and on this page it is revealed how much of a dumb dork about computer hardware I am(nah this ain't even scratchin' the surface)

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    this thing was around when portal first came out i think

and i mean we had it when spore first came out, whenever that was

MAYBE THAT'S IT ALL THAT TERRIBLE SPORE DRM HAS RUINED THIS COMP FOREVER

(idunno it has 3 gigs ram which is worse than my laptop and an nvidia geforce six thousand something that hasn't been upgraded in all the years we've owned it and it's at least twice as old as my laptop sooooo)

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I know very little about computers and assumed that they had done their research before buying such an expensive gift

so imagine my surprise on christmas when I finished installing dragon age

and had to turn the game down to the bare minimum settings to make it run at anything vaguely resembling a playable framerate

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    I'm sorry speed, that sucks a bunch.

This is why it's so dumb that vendors do that shit, people shouldn't NEED to know lots about hardware to avoid wasting a buncha money, but nowp

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011

I need to do some stuff tonight but I really wanted to finish off Act 4. So, without further adieu:
    PART V: ACT 4 (part 2)

The Land of Heat and Clockwork, at least an alternate universe version of it.
    calhead.gif

TT: Maybe I'm just not as comfortable with time travel as you.
    TG: nah itll be fine dont worry
    TT: After you go, what do you think will happen to me?
    TT: Will I just cease to exist?
    TG: i dont know
    TG: i mean your whole timeline will
    TG: maybe

TT: Maybe?
    TT: Is there a chance it'll continue to exist, and I'll just be here alone forever?
    TT: I'm not sure which outcome is more unsettling.
    I'm going with "both". But, hey, let's not forget Dave's Law of Time Travel:
    TG: the thing with time travel is
    TG: you cant overthink it
    TG: just roll with it and see what happens
    TG: and above all try not to do anything retarded
    Also, the solution to The Ultimate Riddle:
    TT: I think the true purpose of this game is to see how many qualifiers we can get to precede the word "self" and still understand what we're talking about.

Whaaa-CHA!
    01648.gif
    TG: ok its me from the future
    EB: huh?
    TG: its me
    TG: i just appeared
    TG: from the future
    TG: wearing a rad suit
    TG: he says dont go
    TG: or youre gonna die

EB: pfffff.
    EB: lame.
    EB: what kind of gullible stooge do you think i am?

And now, for the only lines of Homestuck dialogue I've ever successfully predicted:
    DAVE: hey
    DAVESPRITE: sup

01652_2.gif
    Sure is, John!
    You bundle up your knittings into a cozy nest. You aren't all that tired though. It's hard to imagine falling asleep without the luxury of Harley's narcolepsy.
    Yeah, about that...

Anyway, on my first every read through, by this time I didn't like Terezi all that much. I mean, she just got John killed! But the redemption began almost immediately:
    GC: YOU SM3LL L1K3 OR4NG3 CR34MS1CL3S
    TG: what
    TG: youre aliens do you even have orange creamsicles

GC: OF COURS3 WH4T K1ND OF 4WFUL C1V1L1Z4T1ON WOULDNT 1NV3NT OR4NG3 CR34MS1CL3S
    GC: NOT ON3 1D W4NT 4NYTH1NG TO DO W1TH
    TG: none of you ever thinks anything through
    TG: whos in charge of timeline management there
    TG: i gotta give him the business

GC: SH3 DO3SNT W4NT TO T4LK TO 4NY OF YOU
    GC: 4ND H4S M1SG1V1NGS 4BOUT TH1S WHOL3 TH1NG
    GC: NOT 4LL OF US 4R3 TH4T 3NTHUS1AST1C 4BOUT TROLL1NG YOU GUYS
    GC: 4ND TH3 ON3S WHO 4R3 SORT OF SUCK 4T 1T >:|
    Well, except Vriska I guess? Also Tavros was so bad at it he sort of looped around and became good at it, what with shooting Grandpa Harley and all.
    GC: S3LF PROTOTYP1NG SO DUMB
    GC: TH1S 1S WHY YOU 4LL SCR3W UP SO B4D
    GC: 4LW4YS B3ND1NG TH3 RUL3S L1K3 TH4T
    Not... quite. Also, in that conversation Davesprite says "jegus" for the first time, which is funny because Terezi uses it in her next chat with John almost immediately.

01660.gif
    THE ORIGIN BUNNY

dontmoveorthebunnygetsit.jpg
    I've never seen this movie, but I'm guessing this wasn't, really, like, a joke was it?

01664.gif
    I particularly like this, for whatever reason.
    CG: EB: this is really weird...
    CG: CG: WHAT'S SO WEIRD ABOUT IT.
    CG: EB: well, normally humans hatch...
    CG: EB: from like these slimy pods.
    CG: EB: then we wriggle out as a little pink larva.
    CG: CG: OH REALLY.
    CG: CG: HUH, MAYBE WE HAVE MORE IN COMMON THAN I THOUGHT.
    EB: hahaha!
    EB: i was punking you dude!
    EB: or at least i will be in our next conversation.
    EB: thanks for the great prank idea.

CG: ARGH.
    CG: WHY WOULD YOU TRICK ME ABOUT THAT, WHAT IS EVEN THE POINT.
    I think John's starting to get it. Anyway, that conversation is also a very large infodump about the particulars of the Medium - i.e., the Lands, Planets, the Veil, the Reckoning, etc. Good read if you need a refresher on those things.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My laptop could run Portal; that piece of shit had 512 megs of RAM, melted own its power cord twice, and then overheated and burnt out the video card.

edit:
    I think the true purpose of this game is to see how many qualifiers we can get to precede the word "self" and still understand what we're talking about.

So by now, we're up to (for example) Karkat, Past Karkat, Future Karkat, Dream Karkat, Dreambubble Karkat, dead beta timeline Karkat, Karkat's ancestor, and pre-scratch versions of all previously mentioned. I think that about covers the lot.

I keep falling down all these Karkats.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    :whistle: Rise with the moon
    Go to bed with the sun
    Early to bed and you'll miss all the fun
    Bring your wife into trouble it'll never trouble you
    Make her a member of the Midnight Crew!
    :whistle:
    [ S] Jack: Ascend. I like this flash a little. Okay, a lot. The first of the three major EOA4 flashes has just a little but of everything. You get: Jack, presumably using the Royal Deringer, destroying the Black Queen; merged with her alternate timeline Dreamself, Rose wakes up and realizes the meaning of what she's scrawled on her walls; and guardians in action! We also get to see the layout of the Medium for the first time.

Here's the first official recap.

GC: J3GUS JOHN
    See?

I guess Google is also a universal constant: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003585 Seems like they put some work into this, too bad this is the only time it's used.

01690.gif
    "Surely," you tell yourself, "this won't be visually referenced, ever." Not a safe assumption in Homestuck, my friend.

Davesprite explains the nature of the gates

01693.gif
    Snoopin' with Snoop.

01700.gif
    Bonk!

01704_2.gif
    I admire Dave's dedication to compression artifacts.

He will understand that in the game of facetious sentimental gestures, no one gets the best of Rose Lalonde.
    This gift from Rose is so cool. Two sweet bunnies on one birthday?? What are the odds.
    Well....

01711.gif
    You gently CHAOS DUNK the fragile bunny back in the box and captchalogue it. It is such a nice present. You will have to write Rose a thank you note and tuck it under her hair band or something. Wait no, that would probably be creepy.
    Just a tad, John.
    This bunny reminds you that you still have a salamander in your sylladex. She is holding the bunny Dave got you. It's sort of uncanny how similar they are, aside from the knitted enhancements. Seriously, what are the odds?? So weird.
    We always like to talk about it how Hussie likes to mess with us by deliberately subverting expectations. Well, in order to do that, sometimes you need to be really straightforward.
    TT: that's me! i am the rose human. look at me, i am so smart with all these snooty words and complicated things to say.
    This conversation is lot funnier now that we know how badly it destroys Kanaya's perceptions of Rose.
    TT: yeah, i got him this really cool bunny for his birthday, and it's really nicely knitted and everything.
    TT: because i am basically in love with him, you are right.
    GA: Uh Okay
    TT: heh, just kidding. i'm sure john knows it's cause i am really thoughtful and i bet he really appreciates the present, and would say thank you if he were here!

GA: Okay Human Courtship Is Definitely A Strange Thing And Its Sort Of Blowing My Mind Listening To This
    I guess John figured that Rose would read this at some point? I don't think she ever does though.

01715.gif
    You got your Vriska in my Act 4!
    TA: iif ii 2ee one more 2narl of wiire2.
    TA: kiind of juttiing out and beiing tangled or whatever.
    TA: ii am goiing two perform 2ome 2ort of athletiic fuckiing 2omer2ault off the deep end and get a call from the pre2iident or 2ome 2hiit.
    TA: 2o go away.
    This is kind of stuff is probably why a lot of folks thought there would be more direct parallels between the Trolls and Kids at first. Didn't quite turn out that way. Here are his first appearances, by the way.

Use your sweaty body to fuel SWEET RAVE PARTIES.

01723_2.gif
    You are now the pony.
    Note that in this set of ruins, it's turtles instead of frogs. Oh, and hey, it's Iso.

01732.gif
    EVEN MORE QUESTIONS. I guess John's Dad transportalized himself there from Derse?

01738.gif
    And we used to think this was as good as it got for hammers.
    TG: got it from hephaestus
    EB: who's that?
    TG: really tough to kill dude
    EB: you killed him for it?
    TG: nope
    EB: how'd you get it then?
    TG: shenanigans

EB: ok.
    Shenanigans, indeed. As I recall, there's a pretty good fanart out there of Dave and Hephaestus.

01746.gif
    Yeah, you really threw 'em off there, John.
    Someone has been using your Pesterchum account.

And you somehow doubt the culprit was this young upright amphibian presently throwing a fit.
    Okay, so maybe she did read it.

01749.gif
    I think my reaction to this is supposed to be: GASP! HOW SALACIOUS. Okay, we got that out of the way, let's move on.

01753.gif
    Now reflect on everything else that happens between now and when they actually meet again. Oh, wait, that's my thing. I guess I'll get there sometime next week.

01757.gif
    SWEET.
    CATCH.
    01772.gif
    YES. FUCK YES. HELL FUCKING YES.
    01773.gif
    But seriously what in the hell is going on in here.
    You start thrashing up stunts something uncannybrutal on your quest for "MAD JUSTICE YO" and get this way rude municipality under control. Shit is basically flying off the hook. It's like shit wants nothing to do with that hook. The hook filed for divorce from that shit and is now seeking custody of the hook and the shit's two kids.

These hops are unreal. Shit this flagrant should be illegal. It probably is.
    I wonder if in all his time in the ruins AR considered that maybe this... rudeness... was being punished. Nah, probably not, those hops really were unreal, man.

01781.gif
    01782.gif
    01783.gif
    Where's CD these days? I was hoping to get him when the weather was still good here.
    You receive an incoming message from the DRACONIAN DIGNITARY. You tell him you've got the ring. He says good, bring it to him while he waits for an update from the HEGEMONIC BRUTE who's been tracing the king's movements down on the battlefield.

He asks if you're still wearing that ridiculous outfit. He says you don't have to anymore, by orders of the SOVEREIGN SLAYER.

You say...

You say you'd still rather wear the outfit.

He's got nothing to say about that.
    Hehehehe.

I'm just going to post the entire smackdown sequence:
    01790.gif
    01791.gif
    01792.gif
    01793.gif
    01794.gif
    The best way to remind yourself that you're carrying a ring is to put it on your finger.
    OH SHIT NO
    01798.gif

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    ASimPerson wrote:
    [ S] Jack: Ascend. I like this flash a little. Okay, a lot. The first of the three major EOA4 flashes has just a little but of everything.

It's not the first major flash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AaiGMVdxkQ

If you don't think this is a major flash, your entire post, and all Homestuck-related opinions are henceforth invalidated.

Forever.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I think he mean the first of the three flashes that conclude Act 4

Jack: Ascend
    WV?: Rise Up
    and Decend

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Goatmon wrote:
    ASimPerson wrote:
    [ S] Jack: Ascend. I like this flash a little. Okay, a lot. The first of the three major EOA4 flashes has just a little but of everything.

It's not the first major flash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AaiGMVdxkQ

If you don't think this is a major flash, your entire post, and all Homestuck-related opinions are henceforth invalidated.

Forever.

Goat....that's the EOA2 flash.....he's talking about Act 4 flashes, as in Jack: Ascend, WV?: Rise Up, and Descend.

Edit: And then Neo was faster than me.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    partybear is fast

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Uh, yeah, I think I was pretty clear there.

Anyway, I was going to go all the way through the end of Act 4 but there's a lot of stuff there so I'm going to stop for now.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote:

my dell vista desktop couldn't run portal well

no video card

I fixed that issue with my Dimension E521 with a spiffy video card (On sale) and 2 gigs of ram to replace the on-board video and the two 512 ram chips I had. Cost me less than $120 before tax, and it completely turned my performance around.

Not only can I run Orange Box games just fine, but I could play things like Dragon Age Origins - which originally ran at practically a single-digit FPS on the lowest settings - with graphics on high if I just crank the resolution down a notch or two, with minimal issues.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    NeoToma wrote:

and Decend

Oh I see.

Wait, that doesn't even make sense. We didn't have multiple ending flashes.

There was a flash, and then a bunch more pages. And then another flash, followed by more pages. And then we had Descend, the EOA4. That was the end. The others are just intermittent.

Goatmon on

• Options
    not that drunkstuck isn't great and all butt

god damn loading this thread is going to be annoying til the page ends

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    Goatmon wrote:
    NeoToma wrote:

and Decend

Oh I see.

Wait, that doesn't even make sense. There's only one EOA4 flash; Descend. The rest are just intermittent.

the three flashes culminating to the end of act 4

the first two occur late in the act and depict major events leading up to The End of Act 4

this is not that hard

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    i, however, am that hard
    4 u

• Options
    beasteh your av and the fact that im on another computer that doesnt have ye olde style installed made me think that avatar transparency was fixed before i realized it would we dumb to have transparency on a lineart avatar so you mustve just made the background the same color as the sidebar thing

you monster
    now put that monster (cock) of yours in my buttehole

ducklett.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    update soon fellow stickers

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    update on what

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    yer face

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    dohoho

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    hoo hoooooo~~~

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Seriously wrote:
    update on what

We are closer to EOA5 than we have ever been.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote:
    Seriously wrote:
    update on what

We are closer to EOA5 than we have ever been.

And now we're even closer.

broken image link
This discussion has been closed.