As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Title of a Young Teen Book (Book Found!)

SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous PastimeRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to find a book/series of books that I read when I was younger.

The first book is rather normal, but a young boy has some special "power" which I can't remember. The series actually goes through some Arthurian legend style references, with Arthur's son eventually living with the boy? Near him? The boy has a mentor who helps him with his power as he battles...evil?darkness?

The symbol that looks like a sun cross (circle with a cross in it) was pretty prevalent throughout the books. I recall that in the first book, person (the mentor? Someone related?) carved Christmas ornaments for children of this family, including the main character. Except the main character got one of those symbols carved for him instead of initials, like everyone else got. Christmas was an important time, as well as talking about yule logs. Not certain if there were other Christian themes as well.

Hopefully ya'll can help me figure this one out.

Syphyre on

• Options
    Vera12Vera12 Registered User regular
    The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper?
    I haven't read them in a while, but that synopsis seems familiar.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Rising-Sequence/dp/0689829833/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318458362&sr=8-1

Death by Steaksauce!
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I need to reread the series myself (used to absolutely adore it when I was younger, and so did my mom), but that actually sounds really really familiar to me as well, so I think it might indeed be The Dark is Rising.

For ACTUAL awesome Arthurian legend young adult lit, Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave series is another one my mom and I (and my fiance since I introduced him to it) have also adored. I'm quite certain it's not the book you're looking for (though it's been a while since I read the series myself as well), but you'll probably like it if you liked the book you're talking about.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    That is it! Thank you :D

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Essee wrote:
    For ACTUAL awesome Arthurian legend young adult lit, Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave series is another one my mom and I (and my fiance since I introduced him to it) have also adored.

My all time favorite book.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Whatever you do, don't see the movie they made out of it "The Seeker". Ugh, so much potential wasted. I remember having The Dark Is Rising audiobook on vinyl in the late 80s and listening to it in the winter when it was all dark and blustery outside. Perfect. I'd kill to find that again.

Esh on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Whatever you do, don't see the movie they made out of it "The Seeker". Ugh, so much potential wasted. I remember having The Dark Is Rising audiobook on vinyl in the late 80s and listening to it in the winter when it was all dark and blustery outside. Perfect. I'd kill to find that again.

I went to see this movie, not realizing that it was based around the books I read as a kid. I didn't realize it was based around those books AFTER seeing it, either, though I had the niggling feeling something was up. Didn't realize till months later.

What is this I don't even.