As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2] Pyromania Update Day 3! MEET THE PYRO RELEASED! Do you believe in magic?

UEAKCrashUEAKCrash hehRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Games and Technology
blog_chars_base2.jpg

tumblr_leij4vSi181qz8z2ro1_500.png

Vastly inferior comic:
20080917.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aXn3ulSVwU
RIP Hyperbolic Drama Chamber :cry:

PMAvers'
House of Non-Conformity Donate!
Custom map server.
Server IP: 208.167.243.68:27015
Stats page
Download the Map Pack. 253 MB download.
Contents of the map pack (updated: May 17th):
cp_antiquity_rc1
cp_obscure_final
cp_stoneyridge_b9
ctf_2fort_revamp_b3
ctf_landfall_rc
koth_moonshine_rc
pl_boundary_final
pl_escarpment_rc1
pl_moonlit_b6
pl_quagmire
pl_swiftwater_final_rc
plr_dogbread_b3
Extract to: Steam\steamapps\<your account>\team fortress 2\tf\maps

b_160x400_T1_F-2.png

Want to chat about TF2 or other inane bullshit? Join the IRC channel!
irc.slashnet.org #paforums_tf2

And just so none of you forget it:
BestGuyEver.jpg

UEAKCrash on

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Wow, I can feel the less brokeness already.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Feedback on the play testing of my map earlier is greatly appreciated, from anyone who was there.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I don't know, it only seems like 99% less broken to me

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    How about 99.7%? Then we would be within 3 standard deviations and that is good enough for me.

• Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Predictions For The Future:
    -pyro fixed, flamethrowers now less powerful than their primary gun, optimization of game code latter removes laggy particle effects from a minor class
    -heavy made as powerful as the other classes through new weapons that give faster speed and self healing, making the game more fun
    -New melee weapon for Demolition Expert that kills in one hit, as the class was meant for close, melee focused combat
    -Fixed bug where pyros gained crits sometimes, especially with the backburner in certain scenarios
    -Heavy fake crits fixed, heavy crit rate set to 100%
    -More crazy, zany, large, head obscuring hats added to fix sniping
    -Sniper given close range weapon to improve teamwork
    -New, better, weapons released for classes that need more powerful main guns, such as the heavy, demo, and spy
    -TF3 will come out the same time Half-Life 3 does, in spring 3016
    -Valve corrects history by fixing all the developer commentaries contradicting TF2's currently perfect design, especially in regards to the character silhouettes
    -Donating to Gaben's private Swiss banking account will give you admin powers on all valve servers
    -TF3 implements a system where you may gain new, strange, weapons and incredibly rare hats by paying money for a random chance to win them; I know I'm going a little out on a limb with this one, but I think it'll happen in the far future

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Man, what the fuck happened to that thread?

It's like page 34 turned into a time machine.

• Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    Ah man, I wanted to argue about Goomba again.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I clicked on that thread last night and saw Dr. Who posting furiously and knew something was amiss.

when are people getting on the servers? I haven't played on PA in weeks because everytime I check no one is there =(

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea we didnt have full action on the server until like quarter to ten EST

Crash
    thought the map was really good.
    i like the secret door on stage 1

thought the first part of the second stage had too much line of sight and became a sniper hell hole, though we eventually pushed through so i wouldn't tweak it to hard

seemed like the last point was really easy to defend. what about if you only made one entrance to get into the underground which brought you to the end, or maybe one on each end with one in the middle. it was really easy to get slaughtered by a sudden soldier who randomly just dropped down

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Is there a valve time estimate on when the update goes live?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I need this Halloween updaate

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I want in on this community as a relatively new PC gamer! My xbox has dust on it! Dust!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    I want in on this community as a relatively new PC gamer! My xbox has dust on it! Dust!

No, it can't have Dust on it.

That new Counterstrike thing hasn't come out yet.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:
    Cantido wrote:

No, it can't have Dust on it.

That new Counterstrike thing hasn't come out yet.

[/applaud]

Also, Nerf Now's Engie-tan is my spray <3

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So what was in the updat yesterday?

• Options
    Valvetime

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:
    So what was in the updat yesterday?

The update that was supposed to be coming out yesterday is coming out today instead.

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    Feedback on the play testing of my map earlier is greatly appreciated, from anyone who was there.

There had been discussion of trying to create better places for sentries on the last point of the second stage so I went engineer to play around a bit. There is a ledge that runs around the top of Red spawn with a little wall towards where Blu is coming from and beside it is a little white ramp. I'm not 100% sure of the purpose of this ramp but it works OK to put a quick sentry on top that has very good coverage but falls victim to nearly every other sentry place in that it is easily out ranged by everything. Beside it on the left though proved to be a little more useful. It has OK visibility of the opposite ledge as well as the tunnel entrance below to cover attackers trying to get behind the defenders. Unfortunately the white ramp thing previously mentioned is designed in such a way that any sentry placed here can still be easily sniped. It would be nice if this white block that I speak of could be filled out underneath. I have included a diagram to illustrate what I mean.

plcrashchange.gif

This should afford it some protection from the right (and notably limit its coverage area some, unfortunately). It can still be out ranged a little bit from the tunnel leading to the opposite ledge as I think antipop kept doing to me and can be piped easily but at least it won't be getting sniped. Snipers are super annoying.

I apologize if this doesn't make any sense to people, but it becomes pretty clear if you can actually see the map. I should have taken screenshots...

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I THINK I understand what you mean. You mean the white block above where the cart drops in after cap? If you are facing the attackers to the left of that is the good sentry position?

I just filled it out as per your request. It was really just an idea for a detail later (a support that held the cables that lowered the cart down) but I'm glad to see it had some effect on gameplay, that's the reason to put those things in early. I filled in in already.

I'm going to start looking around that area to see if I can make it less sniper friendly. I had a feeling it would be to some extent, but it seemed to be worse than I thought. That's why there are a lot of sort of random structures around.

Another idea I had was to separate off the previous area from the final a bit more. It seems like one of the biggest problems was that it was difficult to amass in any area before making a push. You had to constantly be in the line of fire to get anywhere. At the very least, I could possibly put in a building connecting to the left side towards the ramp going up, that would provide a decent amount of cover and give a way in without being too exposed.

It seems like it is actually balanced decently, but in the sense that it is both hard to defend and hard to attack. This unfortunately isn't necessarily a good thing.

I greatly appreciate the feedback though, especially with pictures. It helps me a ton for people to even just look at my map and explain what they see. Everyone plays a bit differently, so getting an outside perspective helps a ton. I look at this map for hours and I end up seeing it differently that everyone else. Also, it really doesn't help that I don't play much engineer.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I'll go through it again, I love the underground area, that's laid out spectacularly.

The last corner that Blu couldn't get around seemed a bit overly difficult if only because it was a bit of a chokepoint, but that's not necessarily a *bad* thing. To be fair, I didn't get to see most of that corner as I kept exploding into little bits of Doctor everywhere.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    beta_angel wrote:
    I'll go through it again, I love the underground area, that's laid out spectacularly.

The last corner that Blu couldn't get around seemed a bit overly difficult if only because it was a bit of a chokepoint, but that's not necessarily a *bad* thing. To be fair, I didn't get to see most of that corner as I kept exploding into little bits of Doctor everywhere.

yea i thought the same thing about the last bit. i seem to recall them having like a billion sentries set up there with absolutely no cover, but i may be mistaken

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    I THINK I understand what you mean. You mean the white block above where the cart drops in after cap? If you are facing the attackers to the left of that is the good sentry position?

That is what I meant, yeah. It seemed to work pretty well as a sentry position in that it messes up the flankers quite a lot but is so close to the end that if you really relied on it too heavily for your defense then its collapse would mean your doom. We had a heavy and a sniper up there too with my dispenser and that seemed to work pretty well. Maybe too well? I don't know these balance things.

• Options
    I think if anything I need to define the last "courtyard" area a bit better. Just so the attackers have a "safe" place to be before they push into the last zone. Sort of like how Goldrush does it on... every last point I can think of on it. Time to load up some Valve maps and steal concepts!

As for balance, it is a really hard thing to quantify. It's just a matter of maintaining a decent attacker win/ loss (attackers should win more than lose, since both teams should have a turn attacking) but ramping up the difficulty for attackers per stage. Plus it has to be fun. That part is important, I guess.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TF2 is updating. 568.7 MB for me.

EDIT: Heh, "RAINBOLT DASH".

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Ahhhh

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    @Crash, the map is well done and I have no doubt that putting things like that together are more difficult than they are to critique.

Balance is incredibly difficult to quantify, especially with a game like this. The onus you take is how to make the map viable for all classes. One misstep and you've either completely black sheeped a class (corridor based maps make Scout/Spy difficult) from the map OR made spots that essentially lead to over-powering a class (i.e. Sniper row). The fact that you seem to be able to put together maps that work for all classes is pretty rad.

:)

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    update is crawwwllliinng

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Thanks! I greatly appreciate you guys taking the time to give me feedback, I really cant emphasize enough how much it helps me out. I feel like this is the first time a map I've made has some serious potential, so I'm pretty excited about it.

Oh hey the other thread fixed itself. :|

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Updates to Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2:DM)
    Fixed an issue with the multi-threaded renderer which could cause a crash on map change
    Adjusted whitespace to improve formatting in status command output
    Changed stats output to show KB/s instead of bytes/sec, added a connections column, and changed the users column to "Map changes"
    Fixed game servers not being able to execute the retry command due to the dependence on the connect command (which is not executable by game servers)
    Made sndplaydelay executable by servers
    Server frame rate is now based on the tickrate of the active Source mod, not the fps_max convar
    Server processing delays have been reduced, especially for servers on modern Linux kernels
    Entity processing logic has been optimized to significantly reduce CPU usage on full servers
    Multi-threaded server code is now enabled by default under Linux (already enabled on Windows)
    An exploit with non-printable characters causing lag on Windows servers has been fixed
    CPU is fully yielded back to the system whenever the server is running faster than the tickrate
    Dramatic increase in performance for low-level math libraries

Day of Defeat: Source
    Removed tickrate command line parameter
    Updated the localization files

Counter-Strike: Source
    Prevent AWP cycle time exploit using quick switch
    Fixed bug causing HUD History to display item pickups from nearby players
    Increased sized of HUD History resource to prevent clipping
    Changed grenade damage so that it always hits HITGROUP_GENERIC and takes into account armor for damage calculations
    Reduced standing and moving accuracy for pistols
    Decreased accuracy while moving with sniper rifles
    Added additional legacy mode (3) to cl_dynamiccrosshair

Team Fortress 2
    Manniversary:
    Experimenting with a new store interface with a subset of players
    Added several dozen community items in celebration of the Manniversary
    Added loadout presets -- each class can now store four complete loadouts, including weapons and cosmetic items, and change between them with the press of a button.
    Added a new item type that can accept user-applied decals. Take any image off your hard drive, put it on a stick, and then smash people with it! (See the Decal Tool in the store!)
    Added new co-operative high five taunt
    Class select menu now shows the active loadout for each class
    Characters can now equip two misc-slot items at once
    Added a new in-game abuse-reporting system (see "Capture abuse report data" under "Miscellaneous" controls)
    Non-newly-released weapons in the store can now be tried out for free once per week! This will give you a fully-functional version of the weapon to be used in-game for no cost. If you decide you like it, you can purchase it for a discount during the trial period.
    All items purchased in the store can be used for crafting and can be traded after a few days
    Added a new startup music track from Meet The Medic
    Integrated with the new Steam Workshop to enable the publication and management of community contributed content

Maps:
    Added new community control point map Gullywash. Stamps are available in the store to support community map authors!
    Barnblitz is now available for offline practice
    Frontier: various geometry fixes
    Gorge/5Gorge: added team-specific func_nobuild brushes in elevated forward spawn areas

Replay:
    New camera shake functionality added for replays that are not sufficiently dramatic
    New slow-motion functionality added for replays where even camera shake does not provide sufficient drama
    Added support for recording voice chat into replays

Items:
    Pocket Medic can now be equipped by the Soldier in addition to the Heavy
    World Traveler's Hat and the Connoisseur's Cap are now paintable
    Bonk Boy and Foster's Facade are now misc slot items
    Fixed The Director's Vision not playing animations correctly for all classes in the loadout screen
    The Killer Exclusive is now paintable
    When sorting the backpack, otherwise-equivalent items will sort by strange weapon rank and crate series number if possible
    When selecting items from the loadout, weapons with different kill eater ranks will all show up
    Hat of Undeniable Wealth And Respect animations have been added. Really.
    LOD models added to several older cosmetic items

Response Rules:
    Reduced the chance of many response lines occurring
    Responses related to cart progress no longer play when disguised
    Players will now always call for a medic when low on health or when on fire when a medic is under the crosshair, whereas previously the character would ask the medic to follow them
    Named base items will no longer trigger responses that were supposed to be for new item variants
    Added additional Jarate hit responses
    Demoman:
    Added achievement award response
    Removed "I didn't need your help y'know" line if being healed by a Medic
    Saxxy kills will use the same lines as kills from the frying pan
    Taunting with The Pain Train or the Saxxy now plays the same taunt as the grenade launcher
    Added a taunt for The Ullapool Caber
    Engineer:
    Fixed a problem that caused him not to say thanks after exiting a teleporter
    Saxxy kills will use the same lines as kills from The Golden Wrench
    Added a previously unused golden wrench kill line
    Added an occasional response when swinging The Gunslinger
    Wrangler taunt now performs the pistol taunt animation
    Heavy:
    Added a previously unused fist swing line
    Medic:
    Added a line to the response that occurs when doing a battle cry while looking at an enemy while holding a melee weapon
    Taunting with a Saxxy plays the medigun taunt
    Taunting with the Solemn Vow or the Crusader's Crossbow now plays the same taunt as the syringe gun
    Scout:
    Removed the response when killing an enemy Scout or Pyro and moved the lines to the dominating Pyro/Scout response
    Added a rare response to double jumping after getting a recent kill
    Sniper:
    Reduced chattiness when getting many sequential kills
    Added a missing line to the scoped revenge response
    Taunting with a Saxxy no longer play lines that reference a knife
    Soldier:
    Added a line to the getting übercharged response
    Taunting with the Righteous Bison, Battalion's Backup, or the Saxxy now play the Buff Banner taunt

Bots:
    TFBots have a percentage chance of noticing weapon fire based on their difficulty level. Easy bots are fairly oblivious, and Expert bots notice pretty much everything.
    TFBots now treat certain weapon attacks as "quiet" (Spy knife, cloaking/uncloaking, some melee weapons, fists, etc). "Quiet" weapons can only be heard by TFBots when nearby, and their chance of being noticed is halved if the environment is "noisy" (ie., lots of non-quiet gunfire going on in the area). This greatly improves Spies ability to backstab TFBots without the entire team immediately turning on them.
    bot improvements:
    Spy bots are much better about circling around and backstabbing their victims now
    Improved Spy bot target selection in some situations (ie: clusters of sentries and enemy players)
    Spy bots will give up on an attack and retreat if an enemy sentry gun aims at them
    Spy bots now avoid nearby enemies while disguised and/or cloaked so they don't bump into them and give themselves away
    Spy bots now have a simple notion of when their “cover is blown" now
    Spy bots lead their target's position as they chase them down for a backstab now
    Spy bots don't go after victims until setup time has elapsed
    Hard and Expert Spy bots avoid looking at their prey until they get close and go for the stab
    Easy Spy bots don't avoid enemies, or try to get behind before stabbing
    Normal Spy bots don't avoid enemies
    Fixed bug where Spy bots would jump against the enemy spawn gates during setup time
    Medic bot improvements:
    Medic bots stick much closer to running patients now
    Medic bots stick much closer to their patient if they have an Ubercharge ready, or are deploying their Uber
    Medic bots hide from Sentryguns now, too
    Pyro bot improvements:
    Pyro bots are less "pushy" with their compression blast, but will use it against Ubers and to get enemies off of a capture point

Other:
    Razer Hydra support can be enabled via "sixense_enabled 1" in the console. See http://sixense.com/tf2 for details.
    Added "tf_allow_taunt_switch". Set to 0 for disallowed (default behavior), 1 for old bug behavior, or 2 to allow weapon switching any time during the taunt.
    Screenshots can now be hooked up to the Steam Community automatically. There is a new option to control this under "Miscellaneous" in the Advanced Options page.
    Fixed gold ragdolls playing custom death animations when they should be locked in a pose
    Fixed Buffalo Steak Sandvich not having a cooldown if the Heavy is at full health.
    Fixed touching a cabinet while under the effects of the Buffalo Steak Sandvich removing the mini-crits but not removing the melee weapon restriction
    Fixed particle effects not showing up on spy disguise items
    Fixed spies never using genuine, community, or self-made items as disguise weapons
    Fixed demoman weapons primary/secondary being backwards in the loadout screen
    Fixed effects on Sticky Jumper grenades
    Fixed net_graph not updating server framerate when FPS is greater than 1000
    Fixed game servers not being able to execute the retry command
    Renamed tf_show_voice_icons to mp_show_voice_icons

Patch notes

Added a new item type that can accept user-applied decals. Take any image off your hard drive, put it on a stick, and then smash people with it! (See the Decal Tool in the store!)
    Added a new in-game abuse-reporting system (see "Capture abuse report data" under "Miscellaneous" controls)

I'm sure those two aren't related at all.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
  • Options
    so my update was literally going at 112 bytes/sec and I hung up at 29%. Tried restarting but Steam refuses to connect now. Internet seems to be working fine.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Added "tf_allow_taunt_switch". Set to 0 for disallowed (default behavior), 1 for old bug behavior, or 2 to allow weapon switching any time during the taunt.
    FUCK YEESSSS.
    Replay:
    New camera shake functionality added for replays that are not sufficiently dramatic
    New slow-motion functionality added for replays where even camera shake does not provide sufficient drama
    Added support for recording voice chat into replays
    FUCK YESSSS-ER

Also cool for Gullywash, that is a good map.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    i was coming in here to say the updating has begun. up to 72% or so on my desktop, 24 on my laptop. boo

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I haven't even managed to get it to start updating yet.

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Update is there, but not going. Maybe not tonight.

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    yeah but is it halloween yet

• Options

this little tidbit is exciitng too
    All items purchased in the store can be used for crafting and can be traded after a few days

crash i think adding a regroup spot before teh final point would be a good idea.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I can't even get Steam to start the patch download.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    oh god should definitely not have been eating dinner while loading up the Manniversary page.

L'il Saxton may have caused me to laugh way too hard, and I may have stuff all over my dash. (At work, leeching internets from the McD's next door.)

Restarted the server, dunno if it's taken the update yet. But yay Gullywash. Was wondering why it hasn't been updated recently.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Steam always takes a shit when TF2 gets an update. Stop posting about it, we all know, the game won't be stable until tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.