As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to learn Illustrator is DRIVING ME BONKERS

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
i swear, Adobe Illustrator is the most annoying piece of software. every single simple thing seems obfuscated by layers of interface. i don't understand why Photoshop is so much more straightforward.

i'm trying to create a shape in Illustrator and fill it in with a simple, solid color. i created the shape using the pen tool, and i grouped all of the anchor points in the shape i created. however, i can't get the damn program to fill in that shape with a simple, red color. i change the stroke and fill colors when i have the thing selected, but NOTHING happens. this is driving me out of my mind. what am i missing here?

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562
fightinfilipino on

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's been half a decade since I used illustrator, but if I recall correctly the pen tool tries its best to make vectors out of what you draw. It also makes a new layer every time you draw, but that can be controlled. To start with illustrator, use the other basic shapes and grab the handles to adjust it like you wish, then change the properties of the shape's interior color to match what you want.

Again, it's been a LONG time since I've used illustrator, but that was the first thing I learned that made me realize how cool it could be. Well, that, and having a coworker submit a shirt design that was so huge and so full of vectors that the company rejected it (she was using the pen tool like it was Photoshop, and in doing so was layering hundreds of shapes.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote:
    It's been half a decade since I used illustrator, but if I recall correctly the pen tool tries its best to make vectors out of what you draw. It also makes a new layer every time you draw, but that can be controlled. To start with illustrator, use the other basic shapes and grab the handles to adjust it like you wish, then change the properties of the shape's interior color to match what you want.

Again, it's been a LONG time since I've used illustrator, but that was the first thing I learned that made me realize how cool it could be. Well, that, and having a coworker submit a shirt design that was so huge and so full of vectors that the company rejected it (she was using the pen tool like it was Photoshop, and in doing so was layering hundreds of shapes.)

as far as i can tell, Illustrator isn't making a new layer for each pen stroke. i guess i should've mentioned i'm working with Illustrator CS4. i think i've created a path, which i assumed when closed creates an object? i can't find anything online indicating otherwise...

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Right under AI is a bar called "path." The first box from the left is the fill box. Just pick a color. The next ones will be stroke, etc.

Just make a box and test it out. There's a box tool on the vertical toolbar.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote:
    Right under AI is a bar called "path." The first box from the left is the fill box. Just pick a color. The next ones will be stroke, etc.

Just make a box and test it out. There's a box tool on the vertical toolbar.

guh, i figured it out. had View set to outline, rather than one of the "preview" options. i am dumb :P

thanks everyone. i think this thread can be closed.

ffNewSig.png