As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Occupy Everywhere

• Options
    MateyMatey see, look how sad i am now give me your wallet.Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote:
    Matey wrote:
    SimBen wrote:
    Matey wrote:
    SimBen wrote:
    Matey wrote:
    SimBen wrote:
    Matey wrote:
    A real question

Has there ever been a revolution that hasn't been conducted through violence?

Oh hey, right here. Quebec freed itself of the catholic church in the 60s and it was all through completely peaceful protests.

Do you mind offering up a link on this?

I'm trying to find something on my own but not having much luck

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_revolution

hmm very interesting stuff

thank you

You're welcome!

Also pay attention people. When people point to Canada and all our awesome socialized services and health care?

That right there is how we got it in the first place. We used to be like you.

it seems like one of those "right place at the right time" kinda things

like it was certainly building up to that point prior to the revolution

but a lot of different coincidences occurred that favored the liberal movement

and everything fell into place after that

the idealist in me hopes things would go that well for us

but the realist in me sees that as the exception to the rule

I guess the pressure was built up to the point where it was gonna burst anyway. The 60s were more or less a renaissance up here, after the post-war dark ages. 15 years of awful ultra-conservative policy ruling our society and cultural oppression (there were no francophone CEOs, and so very few francophone white-collars at all) that just burst as soon as our baby-boomers became old enough to protest.

Though you could draw strong parallels to the current situation in the US. Minus the whole cultural/language inequity part which could have only happened here.

I would posit, as a guy who read a wikipedia article, that the death of the then premier and his successor had a lot to do with the success of the whole movement

Obama, I'm lookin at you...
    this would of worked so much better if McCain had been elected

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    A crappy chain restaurant in the vein of greasy spoons

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    MateyMatey see, look how sad i am now give me your wallet.Registered User regular
    a chain with the worst grits

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    You can't get good grits outside of Dixie. Not ever.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Well yeah but that guy was an asshole symbol of everything wrong about our society. It was fortuitous, absolutely, but there really isn't an equivalent in American politics that could have the same effect. It's like if Fidel Castro died and then all the capitalist Cubans rose up and peacefully demanded a change. Like imagine if Ronald Reagan was way worse and more conservative than he was, and that he died in like his 4th term. Or like, Nixon from Watchmen. There were a lot more circumstances to it. Not the least of which being the fact that the baby boomers were coming into their own and how this happened at the same time as the US civil rights.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    my experience with chain restaurants that offer breakfast has been poor

diners are really the only places where i'll get breakfast food

breakfast food is so easy to make myself i just usually do that

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    A lot of Denny's have a small bar tucked in the backside of the place. There will be a sign that says "cocktails" with an arrow pointing to a side entrance. I'm not joking.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I would not recommend going to Denny's.

• Options
    SimBen wrote:
    Well yeah but that guy was an asshole symbol of everything wrong about our society. It was fortuitous, absolutely, but there really isn't an equivalent in American politics that could have the same effect. It's like if Fidel Castro died and then all the capitalist Cubans rose up and peacefully demanded a change. Like imagine if Ronald Reagan was way worse and more conservative than he was, and that he died in like his 4th term. Or like, Nixon from Watchmen. There were a lot more circumstances to it. Not the least of which being the fact that the baby boomers were coming into their own and how this happened at the same time as the US civil rights.

yeah I was just kidding

the situation is too different for something like that to have a significant effect

• Options
    Quebec in the 50s was actually like a Tea Partier's wet dream. Absolute cultural segregation, communist witch-hunts, absolutely no government spending of any kind and absolute control of the church over every aspect of our lives. So yeah kind of like your 50s, except we had this kick-ass quiet revolution to shake us out of it and nobody here now wants to go back there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    well at least we don't have a church controlling things

directly

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    A lot of Denny's have a small bar tucked in the backside of the place. There will be a sign that says "cocktails" with an arrow pointing to a side entrance. I'm not joking.

Fuck, I wanna go to that Denny's

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I have never seen that. They don't have that in Florida.

• Options
    Denny's is the 1%

• Options
    All the breakfast places around here insist on putting all this fucking fruit all over everything and then like half of your plate is fruit so you get less of what you actually want.

But the rest is so good. Fucking restaurant being all like my mom and wanting me to eat my vitamin. Fuck vitamin.

sig.gif
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

I've never seen that anywhere.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Sure is annoying having a lot of people hate on the OWS movement

lol 99% more like 53% amirite haha hippies go get a job

really shows how little people have bothered to look up information on it, including teachers...

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote:

really shows how little people have bothered to look up information on it, including teachers...

The only reason I'm hating is WHERE WERE YOU GUYS IN 2008 WHEN YOU COULD HAVE NIPPED THIS AT THE BUD?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote:

The only reason I'm hating is WHERE WERE YOU GUYS IN 2008 WHEN YOU COULD HAVE NIPPED THIS AT THE BUD?

Voting for Obama, trusting him to fix everything.

sig.gif
  • Options
    we're a country of mercenaries

it took years of not getting paid for people to want to affect change

• Options
    SimBen wrote:
    Oghulk wrote:

Voting for Obama, trusting him to fix everything.

I'm still waiting on my magic Obama handout money, dammit. Must be delayed in the mail.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote:

Well, 2008 was already way too late to prevent the Great Recession.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote:

yes, because clearly this was not a long time coming and our collective apathy and ignorance played no part in the wave of "fuck-you" that's been rolling towards this eventuality since before a vast majority of the protesters were even born.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote:

Think they're referred to as Denny's lounges. I've seen a bunch of them, they're usually between towns or places that get a lot of interstate/highway traffic in my experience.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    We've gotten lots of stuff done by peaceful protest in the 20th century because it went against the convention of violent revolution that goverments had prepared for from experience with police forces, national security, anti defamation laws, propaganda, media regulation and control, and REDACTED

It might be now that powerful people have finally adapted and found a way to counteract the nonviolent protest given enough test data. Satirical anti-protests, infiltrators, media spin, austerity and stoicism (practiced in the dark ages and now making a comeback), and possibly grand social experimentation. Do you think Gandhi would make any more than a snippet side-story today if he starved himself to death for an end to any of the major global conflicts? Maybe we've just gotten bored of nonviolent moral superiority and only ever liked it for its novelty when compared to violent protest.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin, thanks, now I'm depressed.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Tip-Hat.gif

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    i'm trying a thing

it's not finished yet, but opinions are welcome

also i know it's probably dumb and naive and already been done but i have this gut-level need to get it out of my system

http://occupybigotry.wordpress.com/

• Options
    Its probably also worth noting that while Ghandi was a non-violent figure, the Indian Independence movement was not in itself non-violent.

Also, I think the value of the individual has gone down, especially in America, where we are viewed primarily as consumers. If a thousand people are sitting there idle, there's a thousand more who will produce, consume, and fill that void. Especially true in a global world, where there's entire nations yearning for the privelege to become modern corporate citizens.

In that type of world, a passive and non-violent protest is easily ignored, unless it becomes disruptive.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
  • Options
    Occupy this forest

• Options
    That guy is the 12 Monkies.

• Options
    occupy%20antarctica.jpg

• Options
    Whoever made that sign totally forgot the "c" at first.

• Options
    Can you imagine being some small town ohio deputy and your boss gets a call and looks at you and says "welp, looks like ole billy kilt hisself and let loose all his critters. You up for a tiger hunt, joe?"

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:

But you have been to the Waffle House/Tire Center/Glory Hole/Free Clinic

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote:
    Stale wrote:

Wal Mart supercenter?

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Stale wrote:

Wal Mart supercenter?

That's for ivory tower elitists, and he needs no part of that hippy fancy-boy nonsense.

• Options
    Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry's economic plan will include a flat-tax proposal, a bid to establish himself as the leading conservative candidate on what has become a defining issue in the campaign.

Man...

This discussion has been closed.