As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMORPG innovation. Spill your ideas for companies to steal!

eobeteobet 8-bit childhoodSwedenRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
Asian MMORPGs are a constant grind, but are western MMORPGs any better?

First, let me tell you about how different a MMORPG can be. Imagine a game where you are thrust into a world, but unable to continue without the guidance and mentorship or other players. Imagine a game with laws created by the players themselves, who in order to write said laws have to carry an office, which in turn, they have to gain the votes of other players in order to achieve. Imagine a game where you can attend church masses, university lectures, theatric performances and sports games... and they're all conducted by the players themselves, supported by the developers, and rewarded with experience! This game exists, and it is called Dark Ages by Nexon, and it's bloody well near 10 years old!

(An interesting side note for you RP fans, Dark Ages has an in-game RP explanation and word for EVERYTHING, including being afk, logging off and experiencing lag! It even censors the word "lol". Too bad that it's almost every player's goal to fuck around and break every rule they set... sigh...)

Can anyone but me remember when Ultima Online (before its release) promised fully dynamic quests? A quest eco system even! I think the example given was a deer herd moving into dragon territory, causing the dragon to eat through them and continue onto a farmer's sheep, who then put out a quest to have it slain.

What the hell happened?

Instead, we have:

* Mining. Lumps of rocks which randomly appear. Why not a skill which lets you prospect a large area to dig in, perhaps set up semi-permanent shafts, perhaps even create small mines, perhaps dig too deep and have something nasty appear. Or just wash/pan for gold by rivers like in reality.

* Farming. Again, setting up semi-permanent fields. Or perhaps rent small lots in backyards in the cities and villages to grow stuff in. Imagine having pumpkin growing contests in the game!

* Pets. Magically bring forth and then have pets disappear? If you can do something that powerful, how come you don't have other great powers? And what does the pet think about being in limbo all the time? Come on, there must be a better system.

* Crafting. This, in general, is so boring without proper merchant skills. Lots of Asian MMORPGs let you set up your own shops. Why can't we see that in a western game as well? (No racial jokes, please...)

* Rare items. Some items are rare, but it's really just a matter of time you are willing to spend. How many MMORPGs have items which are truly unique, and not limitless? And how many balance this in a good and interesting fashion?

* Status quo. No matter what you do in the game, everything remains the same. Everyone is a hero and nobody is a hero. What if you could conquer a city with your guild? Dark Age of Camelot has some of this, but locks it neatly away in confined areas. Then again, was it Shadow Bane which had everything dynamic, and look what happened to that one...

* Monster spawning. How do you logically explain a monster which simply pops into view? And why do they have to pop at exactly the same bloody spot at all times? Why can't they wander into view, and wander around? At least emerge from behind something, so as to try to make an effort.

* Dumb monsters. Short sighted, selfish bloody statues. Why can't we have monsters that hunt? Enemies that actually help each other. I guess EQ and LOTRO(?) tries to do something about this by letting you play a monster?

* Combat. Oh, the joy of auto-combat. Touch one button and watch paint dry (but with lovely particle effects). Tabula Rasa and Dofus tries to do something about this, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Anyway, I'm not on my home computer for the rest of the week, but on it, I have a file with more ideas for MMORPG games. In the meantime, why don't you fill in with your suggestions and ideas? Perhaps we can get a nice discussion going! Oh, and I know some custom UO shards have many cool features, like renting rooms/shops and such, and even permanent deaths, which really makes you feel like someone in the world.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
eobet on

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Realism is not, to the general populace, considered fun.

My suggestion to you? http://www.atitd.com/

Garthor on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The only winning move is not to play.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You know that there are purely text-based MMOs out there that don't even have combat coded in half the time so it's pure roleplaying, in zillions of genres.

It's your own fault for being limited.

--

Heck, these days there are graphical places like that.

But you have to put up with furries once in awhile.

At least until you isolate yourself.

Incenjucar on
  • claxtonclaxton ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    I would love to see a game without a grind. Instead, give a player lateral advancement, letting them choose what to specialize in instead of gaining levels. For example you start out with a stick a fire spell and a healing spell. You run around doing quests or whatever the hell you want to do, and if you hit a lot of things with your stick you advance to fighter. use fire spell a lot become a wizard or something. use healing spells become a cleric. Like to wear mail as a fighter? advance to heavy melee and wear plate. Like to wear leather and 1-h swords? Become an assassin or something. Like to use a bow? become a ranger. make the specialization really deep and allow cross training. Example: An assassin could use dark spells to become a ninja that could use spells such as poison and debuffs like that by embuing his weapons with dark arts spells. A heavy melee could use healing spells and eventually become a paladin. A ranger could use mail enough and become an archer that uses crossbows and swords and mail. I'm going to stop now and get back to my essay.

claxton on
    Its not enough to win. You want nothing left of your enemy but a skull nailed to a fence post so everybody understands the cost of crossing you. -Durga
  • PaperPlatePaperPlate Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    claxton wrote: »
    I would love to see a game without a grind. Instead, give a player lateral advancement, letting them choose what to specialize in instead of gaining levels. For example you start out with a stick a fire spell and a healing spell. You run around doing quests or whatever the hell you want to do, and if you hit a lot of things with your stick you advance to fighter. use fire spell a lot become a wizard or something. use healing spells become a cleric. Like to wear mail as a fighter? advance to heavy melee and wear plate. Like to wear leather and 1-h swords? Become an assassin or something. Like to use a bow? become a ranger. make the specialization really deep and allow cross training. Example: An assassin could use dark spells to become a ninja that could use spells such as poison and debuffs like that by embuing his weapons with dark arts spells. A heavy melee could use healing spells and eventually become a paladin. A ranger could use mail enough and become an archer that uses crossbows and swords and mail. I'm going to stop now and get back to my essay.

I mean, I like the idea of a lot of classes with a lot of variety in them but it still sounds like a grind to me, at least the way you described it.

PaperPlate on
    Minecraft: PAPRPL8
    League of Legends (your friendly neighborhood support): PAPRPL8
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, that's still a grind, just a different kind of grind.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've always wanted to see this, just a simple quality of life thingy.

Basically, when you're at the character login screen, a little picture-in-picture would display the area around where you logged in. Preferably in real time.

Might cause too much lag/be exploitable, though. But DAMN it would be nice.

It's not a huge innovation, it would just be a great quality of life feature. Think about it, being able to see if there's any nearby griefers or monsters by your login area, and hence being, well, not caught off guard.

Wallhitter on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    Imagine a game where you are thrust into a world, but unable to continue without the guidance and mentorship or other players. Imagine a game with laws created by the players themselves, who in order to write said laws have to carry an office...

Imagine a MMOG with no players.

MMOG's live and die with their communities. Innovation and pseudo-realism is all well and good, but if the majority doesn't enjoy it and want to pay for it, it gets shitcanned and rightly so.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dunno about innovation and realism but come on..

Transformers!

That would kick epic amounts of ass. Not to mention it being like the absolute most perfect concept to turn into an mmo.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Transformers!

That would kick epic amounts of ass. Not to mention it being like the absolute most perfect concept to turn into an mmo.
    Care to elaborate why? I'm not seeing why it would be so good.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Garthor wrote: »
    Realism is not, to the general populace, considered fun.

My suggestion to you? http://www.atitd.com/

Yeah, ATITD has pretty much everything the Op was asking for, crafting-wise. No combat, but that's not the point of the game.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    claxton wrote: »

I think what you've described is runescape with a little more depth.

MKR on
    edited June 2007

Transformers!

The whole story is about two factions fighting an eternal struggle? A huge universe full of content to implement? People die and come back all the time? Being able to turn into cars and planes and stuff is totally awesome? Optimus Prime?

Not to mention its already got things like levels and power ups to use for a leveling system. Who wouldn't want to play an mmo where you can fight along side Optimus Prime or Megatron as an robot in disguise?

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Transformers!

The whole story is about two factions fighting an eternal struggle? A huge universe full of content to implement? People die and come back all the time? Being able to turn into cars and planes and stuff is totally awesome? Optimus Prime?

Not to mention its already got things like levels and power ups to use for a leveling system. Who wouldn't want to play an mmo where you can fight along side Optimus Prime or Megatron as an robot in disguise?

WRONG!

That is not what this thread is about. You see, a good setting is not enough. Just look at the Star Wars MMORPG and probably also LOTRO (perhaps even Warhammer and Star Trek).

Very early on, when they opened the Star Trek MMORPG forums, I was there and asked if they were going to offer non-lethal and non-combat solutions to all of their quests, since that is part of the Gene Roddenberry spirit of it all.

They never dared to do it, and it seems that combat grind is now a part of the game.

Truly sad.

They could easily have done diplomatic or engineering solutions to quests or encounters with mini-games, for example.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Here's an idea I've been tossing around for a while, maybe some goon at Nintendo will read this and promptly hire me and give me loads of money for being a genius (use the PM functionality please Mr. Nintendo Hiring guy!).

More seriously, I'm not sure if this falls in the MMO category, as it is more of a highly interactive lounge. Imagine a town fully comprised of Miis. These Miis are mostly real people, with some npc Miis. There's a coffee shop over in the corner for people to go and chat, maybe there's a bus stop for newbies to get on to tour the city/town or to drop off by the spots center.

Let's say you don't want to just socialize, but actually want to do stuff with your friends/guild. You all go to the tennis courts and play. You are given different options: Play solo or doubles versus the computer for exp, or play against friends for fun, singles or doubles. Exp can then be used to purchase a new racket that looks cooler, or cooler looking running shoes, etc. Stuff that lets you customize your Mii when you're playing tennis. Nintendo could host big tournaments by region on this virtual community, and let people be part of the crowd and watch the Pros play. Skill is the determining factor.

You could have an area to go karting with friends, with the same options. You have 8 buddies? Cool, do a Mario Kart type thing where everyone plays, or by yourself vs the comp for Exp to buy different looking wheels or whatever to customize your ride. The possibilities are pretty much endless: whatever mini-game type nintendo wants to put in there, they could. Soccer, volleyball, football, baseball, etc. The exp isn't necessarily to get "better" gear, but just to customize your stuff and kinda show that you're pimp. If you made Pro (past a certain points of EXP) in certain sports, you'd maybe get a star above your Mii while walking around the city to show off your stuff.

Of course, Nintendo could charge 15$/month for this stuff, and call the game Nintendo Citii or something along those double ii they seem to favor. Clearly though, this doesn't have to be a Nintendo thing, but it just seems to be that their console and controller would lend itself the best to it for the widest audience.

They could easily add RPG elements to it if they wanted to, and make a mini RPG section for people to do their more traditional leveling up. Or add sections that require you own a specific game - let's say you own Pokemon Uber Platinum Falafel edition. The game comes with a Citii code, and you can enter it on your own Wii. Then, when you're roaming the Citii, you have access to the Pokemon Ring and can duel people there. Same with any games they have they'd want to add.

It's not really a traditional MMO, because a lot of the competitiveness is kind of taken away - it's more of a cool place to hang out and play a ton of different games with people across the globe. It's appealing to the casual gamer and to the more hardcore gamer.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Transformers!

WRONG!

That is not what this thread is about. You see, a good setting is not enough. Just look at the Star Wars MMORPG and probably also LOTRO (perhaps even Warhammer and Star Trek).

Very early on, when they opened the Star Trek MMORPG forums, I was there and asked if they were going to offer non-lethal and non-combat solutions to all of their quests, since that is part of the Gene Roddenberry spirit of it all.

They never dared to do it, and it seems that combat grind is now a part of the game.

Truly sad.

They could easily have done diplomatic or engineering solutions to quests or encounters with mini-games, for example.

I did not like LOTRO because it didn't live up to my vision of Tolkien but that's just me. :(
    A good MMOFPS is what I'm lookin for but still have not found.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Asheron's Call Darktide v2.0 GO!

Planetside (with nerfed reavers and no BFRs) v2.0 GO!

gg.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Raakam wrote: »
    Here's an idea I've been tossing around for a while, maybe some goon at Nintendo will read this and promptly hire me and give me loads of money for being a genius (use the PM functionality please Mr. Nintendo Hiring guy!).

I'm not sure what Nintendo will do with their Miis, but I'm betting Sony is adding those very ideas to their "Home" thingy right this minute. ;)

eobet on
    edited June 2007

But thats just it a good setting can be enough as long as you actually stick to that setting and follow through with it.

A good setting and fun gameplay are all an mmo needs.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i hope any people with honest to god good ideas don't share them in here

while i highly, highly, highly doubt the chances of somebody stealing one and actually being successful (most people lack the drive required), it's still never good to post your own brainchild's on a public forum.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Here's an idea I've been toss-

I like the way you think. Someone should hire you to think. You'd be the head of the thinking department and have a bunch of thinkers thinking under you.

Atlus Parker on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I like the way you think. Someone should hire you to think. You'd be the head of the thinking department and have a bunch of thinkers thinking under you.

you would be like house only slightly less gay.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Saban wrote: »

you would be like house only more gay.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Saban wrote: »

you would be like house only slightly less gay.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Always interested in an mmo that takes place in a stone age era of mankind (With some elements of fantasy and holy shit its a dinosaur!). Where you start off with nothing more than a slab of meat as food and a piece of leaf covering your genitalia. However you can interact with almost every single thing in the world which would make crafting in the game, the end all be all.

Pick up sturdy stick
    Pick up sharp rock
    Use sharp rock on vines
    Pick up vines
    Use stick with rock with vines

Congrats, you now have a stone spear!

As for a class system, players initially start off as the caveman class but with alot of skill training and leveling can branch off either into either gatherers or hunters.

>Gatherers are obviously a more support themed role but extremely important, these folks can carry more items, can craft more and better quality objects, get better results from foraging and etc...

>Hunters are obviously aimed at providing food on the table and at defending the tribe from the myriad of dangers that haunt the tribe. Better skilled in combat, tracking and extracting resources from slain animals, they can still do most of the things that a gatherer can do, it's just not as effective.

Further progression may lead gatherers into engineers, priests, shamans, crafters, farmers, etc... While hunters may eventually branch off into things like trappers, scouts, rangers, beast masters, etc...

Social contact is necessary for all advancement in the game, which means people need to join tribes in order to prosper. Why is that? Several reasons actually.

>The first reason is all the threats posed by outside forces. Sabertooth tigers, packs of wolves, dinosaurs that have not yet gone extinct (wink wink), hell did you guys watch prehistoric week on the discovery channel? Live was a bitch for prehistoric man. And let's not forget how much of an asshole we humans can get. Your tribe is competing to survive in a hostile environment with other tribes, perhaps you'll get along. More likely you'll be brought into direct confrontation against tribes. Whether through direct physical contact in battle, sneaky raids, even sneakier enemy spies causing dissent and spreading rumours, one should keep an eye out on their closest neighbours.

>The second reason is that, working together everyone advances faster. Yes you could spend your time crafting weapons and trying desperately to kill a rabbit but it's just not efficient. Now, if you have 10 guys working with you, things become far better.

-4 guys start crafting high quality spears (Whereas the other players could only make poor or mediocre quality weapons) from resources gathered by the other players
    -Who then give the spears it to Trogg the herbalist who smears rare poisonous berries on it, giving it an extra edge
    -Zugrok the tracker then tells the other tribe members that he has found a lone mammoth in nearby location.
    -Now with their prey in sight, Mogg the keeper of the flame starts waving a torch around which scares the mammoth next to a cliff
    -The other players, who were waiting at the cliff then ambush the mammoth and bring it down after a couple dozen spears penetrated it
    -Now the hunter players carve the meat, bones, ivory and fur (getting better results from it)
    -With an abundance of food, the influx of bones and ivory promises better quality weapons and magical talismens while the fur promises everyone gets at the very least some warm furry undies

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    You know I was just talking with some people about stuff like this just last week...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A Transformers MMO -would- be pretty awesome, and I've been advocating it for years.

You'd just need to mix some elements from CoH/V and Auto Assault together.

--

Personally, I'd love to see a super-powered fantasy setting. More Eastern version Western fantasy, like in Slayers and the sort, and with effects that actually take advantage of interesting combination ideas.

I want to fly up to a dragon's face and shove a super-cooled magical sphere down its throat, then turn my hand in to flame, punch through the dragon's neck to touch the sphere, causing the sphere to explode and splatter neck cutlets all over the landscape.

Incenjucar on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All you need for the Transformers MMO to work is:
    All the famous characters
    Make combat in the 3rd person
    You can choose your own secondary form
    Dinobots

And it would sell millions

Gorilla Salad on
  • SunjammerSunjammer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    (most people lack the drive required)

More like "most 100-man teams lack the drive required". The pole on which the shitstained mmorpg flag
    waves is manpower, not ideas. If anything, mmorpgs today are the antithesis of game design creativity. They are designed to do one god damn thing and that is to drain your ass of your hard earned cash. That is literally the one thing they are intended to do.

Here's my idea for an mmorpg;
    It immediatly uninstalls itself, instead prompting you to play other games instead that you pay less for both in time and money, and give you greater narrative and conceptual feedback to your in game actions, in addition to posing a proper challenge for you to overcome other than wanking off your character level after level.

MMOGs are knives in the back of what has made games great. I played WoW for a year and AO for 2, and i haven't a single memory from it that made that loss of time and money worth it. Fuck that shit.

Sunjammer on
    edited June 2007
    Sunjammer wrote: »
    I played WoW for a year and AO for 2, and i haven't a single memory from it that made that loss of time and money worth it. Fuck that shit.

That's because you played a mediocre game (AO) and a rehashed piece of shit game (WoW). AC: DT and Planetside were both original ideas that played out well until the devs drove them into the ground. If either Turbine or SOE came out with an announcement that they were re-releasing the games with updated graphics engines and reverting back to the original versions and patching from there with what they know now I would play either in a heartbeat.

But games like WoW can suck a fat, unoriginal, Everquest-biting cock.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    IF SOE announced that they were scrapping SWG and starting over from their release day code version, I would re-up this very second.

Edit: I still have the CDs even.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Come on now, you can't seriously go claiming WoW is not a good, polished game. It takes what MMOs did before it and just refined it to near-perfection. Simply put, the current MMO template can't really get much better than WoW. An MMO without auto-attack would already really surprise me. Personally I'm looking forward to Tabula Rasa.

Noray on
    edited June 2007
    My idea for an MMORPG is one which takes place on a forum for discussing games.

The goal is to go into threads discussing something you don't have a taste for and to do your best to take a big ol' steaming dump all over it.

Bonus points if you act as if your opinions are absolute fact in the face of millions of people who disagree with you.

Garthor on
    edited June 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    Come on now, you can't seriously go claiming WoW is not a good, polished game. It takes what MMOs did before it and just refined it to near-perfection. Simply put, the current MMO template can't really get much better than WoW. An MMO without auto-attack would already really surprise me. Personally I'm looking forward to Tabula Rasa.

Who cares if WoW is polished? It polished the most bland, overdone aspects of games that came out 8 years ago, threw in some shitty PvP, and sold millions because it's Blizzard.

I had more fun raiding in EQ, I had more fun PvPing in DAoC. WoW was sort of a merge of the two pumped out by a developer everyone loved and dumbed waaaay down so everyone could play it. That's a recipe for success, not an amazing game. Amazingly bland and palatable for the masses, yes, but not even close to innovative.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'll second the motion that WoW is incredibly well polished and fun.

Alot of people rag on it having bad pvp, I'm inclined to agree with them based on what pvp was when i left the game and what it seems to have turned into what with arenas and stuff. But let me tell you lads, honour week was the most intense and chaotic pvp action i have ever experienced in an mmo game.

My guild was a small, mature aged and family oriented group, but after much insistence we still managed to round up a small vanguard headed by myself to engage the filthy heathen hordes. We fought in many battles across the entire wow world alongside countless other free companies and hundreds of conscripted individuals. When honour week came in, it was near impossible to do any questing since there were always battles in quest spots, gankings in neutral towns, assassinations of quest npcs, and most of the time players were inadvertently conscripted into conflict just so they can bring back 20 murloc livers and get their 10 silver, men have been killed for lesser reasons.

In bloody Hillsbrad where battles kept swaying due to the waves of npc guards that would spawn. It was not long before both sides begin using mages to wipe out attacking npcs with all other forces defending and supporting the mages.

In Booty Bay, the name of the game is urban warfare. Both sides attempted to bait the other into committing forces, only to outflank them with forces hiding in buildings. The ranged classes, especially the hunter became king of the city. Sniping enemy targets from roof tops or any number of high level buildings. Many times our battered forces had to endure amphibious assaults and horde marines from the barrens.

In the wilds of Gankathorn Vale, Ashenvale and Felwood, our company found itself vastly outnumbered as most alliance volunteers were posted to the defense of villages and townships. We had to engage the enemy in guerrilla warfare, using hit and run tactics, ambushes and feints within the thick foliage.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited June 2007
    FightTest wrote: »
    Noray wrote: »

Who cares if WoW is polished? It polished the most bland, overdone aspects of games that came out 8 years ago, threw in some shitty PvP, and sold millions because it's Blizzard.

I had more fun raiding in EQ, I had more fun PvPing in DAoC. WoW was sort of a merge of the two pumped out by a developer everyone loved and dumbed waaaay down so everyone could play it. That's a recipe for success, not an amazing game. Amazingly bland and palatable for the masses, yes, but not even close to innovative.

It's too bad not everybody can be as HARDKORE as you an enjoy the same HARDKORE games that you enjoy. I mean, how DARE they enjoy a game that you don't?

People seem to have this misconception that if they don't enjoy something, then it's not a good game for anybody. This goes along perfectly with nostalgia, resulting in, "you kids these days don't know what good games are." Your opinions are no better than those of any other Joe Casual with a Night Elf hunter named Xxelfhuntrxx and a pet named Inuyasha. Don't act as if they are.

Garthor on
    edited June 2007
    It's too bad not everybody can be as HARDKORE as you an enjoy the same HARDKORE games that you enjoy. I mean, how DARE they enjoy a game that you don't?

Oh snap, I insulted a game you have an e-boner for, I'm clearly hardcore and angry that people like it.

Either that or I'm saying it gets way too much praise for doing nothing original.

Someone help me deal with these internal struggles, plz.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    I want a new Planetside. But with more interesting objectives, and not just "take this base, then go to the next one while a 5-man team sneaks into the back door and takes it back, so you have to go over there again and kick them out".

Echo on
    edited June 2007
    FightTest wrote: »

Oh snap, I insulted a game you have an e-boner for, I'm clearly hardcore and angry that people like it.

Either that or I'm saying it gets way too much praise for doing nothing original.

Someone help me deal with these internal struggles, plz.

When, exactly, did games have to start doing things original before they could be considered good? Is every first-person shooter set during World War 2 terrible after Wolfenstein terrible because none of them are original?

Garthor on
  • AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think you're missing the point in that he's not saying that WoW is bad, he's just saying it's the same stuff that MMO players have been playing for years.

I recognize it's the "best" MMO of the current "template" but I cannot stand it.

Akinos on
This discussion has been closed.