As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Well at least I have insurance. [Marvel Comics, the ultimate crime fighting weapon]

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote:
    Superman don't give a damn about the Bay Area. With Al Davis dead, who will protect us?

only hero we could spare you was Booster Gold

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Wren wrote:
    Maximum wrote:
    Superman don't give a damn about the Bay Area. With Al Davis dead, who will protect us?

only hero we could spare you was Booster Gold

Kind of hoping for the Punisher right now to be honest.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    wrong universe. god don't you know anything

anyways he'd only kneecap them or something. but I guess that still works

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My friends place got broken into while he was there. They ran off when he yelled at them, but a month later everyone was gone and woops, broke in and stole everything. It fucking sucks

• Options
    Cop was all like they have security cameras around the area right? Hahahaha.

• Options
    invest in a big angry dog, they're great. a security guard, friend and lover all rolled into one

tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I couldn't keep a dog. Work hours with nobody around to keep him occupied would make me feel awful.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, that would be a terrible thing to do to a dog if you don't have the time to properly care for and exercise one. We have a neighbor in our building who is so lazy he only ever takes his two shitty little yappy mutts out to the front yard to relieve themselves. I've never seen him actually take them for a proper walk. Dude should not have dogs.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Wren wrote:
    invest in a big angry dog, they're great. a security guard, friend and lover all rolled into one

Uh...

godmode on
  • Options
    It's cool. Cold and lonely, just rub a lil peanut butter on your hoo hah and close your eyes. Totally get it.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    I once was renting a room from a lady who was very gullible and trusting. One day I was eating lunch in the kitchen and someone knocks on the door. She answers it and I'm listening to her tell this complete stranger that's selling cleaning supplies door to door that she's going on a trip in a couple of days and will be gone for a week while she's giving him a tour of the house. I made a point of introducing myself and making it very clear that I was in fact going to be around while she was away, and then explained to her later on what she'd done. She was just stunned that he might have been casing the house.

Ugh.

i find answering the door with a gun sticking out of your pants is a great way to get rid of door to door salesmen and mormons

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote:
    Well all my pillow cases were also taken, guess they used the blankets to carry stuff in as well.

I'm totally wired right now so forgive me if I keep posting shit. Gonna be a long night is all.

Oh that reminds me.

When they broke into my car.

They emptied a bag with brand new climbing equipment in it to fill it up with stuff they wanted to steal.

It was about three hundred dollars worth of stuff and they left it there.

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    if you dont actually climb and know what that stuff is im sure it looks like junk to a person

anyhow sorry your stuff got stolen, when I was younger i heard a strange noise in my sisters room and opened up her blidns to see a dude trying to open up the window. Spooked me pretty bad as a kid and I ran to my dad who got out his gun and went outside to find him or something(louisiana has some strange laws about shooting people on your property plus my dad was some drug dude anyhow so he was already terrible and crazy)

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I'm glad you had insurance, man. That helps some what.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Sympathies Maximum, that sucks so much. I have nightmares about getting robbed sometimes.

Did have some druggie break into our house when I was at university, just after we moved in. Kicked our front door in. But when he realised there were people living there now he got all apologetic and left. He'd even brought a pillow with him, which he left behind, which kind of made me feel sorry for him. So yeah that was mostly weird, rather than awful like this.

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    This won't lessen the sting of what you lost, but if/when you replace your electronics, make sure you copy down the serial numbers and keep them in a safe place.

Makes it easier to track them when perps try to pawn them off.

kingworks on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    As for deadbolts, the problem with them isn't the lock. It's that on most houses, especially mass developed, the bolt set is set into the shitty trim on the $100, home depot special, door frame. So the bolt, when kicked or struck, only has to splinter about an inch wide 1/2 thick piece of cheap wood.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    You could get a webcam and just have it pointed in your place to record when you're not home. There was a story of a kid that did this and caught one of his friend's deadbeat brothers stealing shit from him.

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear about the thefts. I live in a shitty ass neighborhood too. Some asshats tried to jack my cheap car with a screwdriver, and totally messed it up, and it was such a crappy car I could only sell it for parts.

Now I'm all fucking nervous and I'm stuck at work for another 4 hours until lunch when I can go home and make sure everything is still there D:

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Damn Max, I am sorry to hear about this shit. Glad you had insurance. Theft is my biggest fear next to intruders for the sake of intruding and killing.

Not a theft story but I have had my tires (along with 20 other cars) slashed in my neighborhood. It felt like someone stealing money from me at least.

Did you write down any serial numbers on your TV or PS3? That would help when looking at televisions.

Hope it all works out man.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Damn, man, that sucks. Great that you have insurance, but even just replacing the stuff (let alone thinking of all the saved games, etc.) is going to take hours! Wishing you all the best.

Also, where in the Bay Area are you? Just... I'm in the Bay Area and in a complex of about 200 units on the second floor and...

Also, thread is a great reminder to note down serial numbers and start a catalogue of belongings. We have renters' insurance, but that's not going to help if we can't remember what we had.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Damn, man, that sucks. Great that you have insurance, but even just replacing the stuff (let alone thinking of all the saved games, etc.) is going to take hours! Wishing you all the best.

Also, where in the Bay Area are you? Just... I'm in the Bay Area and in a complex of about 200 units on the second floor and...

Also, thread is a great reminder to note down serial numbers and start a catalogue of belongings. We have renters' insurance, but that's not going to help if we can't remember what we had.

Take pictures of everything, including serial numbers. Then be sure to store copies of pictures on a flash drive you put somewhere secure. That's what my wife and I have done before evacuating for hurricanes.

• Options
    Sound advice Joe. :^:

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    JoeUser wrote:
    Janson wrote:

Take pictures of everything, including serial numbers. Then be sure to store copies of pictures on a flash drive you put somewhere secure. That's what my wife and I have done before evacuating for hurricanes.

This is a really smart idea

Do you keep the list on Dropbox/Evernote or something?

edit: PS Dru, this would be a good project if you don't mind! <3

Usagi on
  • Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote:
    Janson wrote:

You're right!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice, some really great ideas.

Managed to get some sleep which is good, now to make a big pot of coffee and start cleaning up this horrid mess.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    After I had my tires stolen I gave up having any notion of proper security in this piece of shit complex.

I recorded what I owned in the apartment, and keep it stored elsewhere. Hell I've never even kept my door locked. If some jackass thief wants my shit, he'll have it. Not like the joke of a fucking security setup in my complex would stop him.

In the 3 years I've lived here, 2 apartments have been hit, but 30+ cars have been vandalized or stolen. So I'm not terribly worried about a tv or a laptop. I have insurance for that.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote:
    Fuck CSI, play Dexter.

Man, if someone stole my 360...

It's not even the cash value. It's my goddam saves.

My cheevos.

I never thought of that. ARG!!!

It's a small consolation, but you can recover an xbox 360 profile on another xbox if/when you eventually get one

You should just need the email address and password you originally used to set it up

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:
    Janson wrote:

No, Dropbox would be a good idea though, thanks!

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Man that is a shit situation. Couldn't imagine someone getting into my room and taking my + my roommate's shit. We've got so many thousands in electronics and camera equipment and computers between us, ugh I'd literally die.
    We're both super paranoid about locking the door though, so that is nice.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    We had burglars at our work once who knocked in a 3 inch thick solid oak door that was bolted in two places. (And, in the end, all they took was a petty cash box with fewer than $3 in).

A second time they prised off the steel window bars (yes, I worked in that kind of neighbourhood) and a third time they removed all of the lead from the roof! We didn't find out about that time until it rained and the ceiling nearly collapsed.

Also, I have a shit-ton of hosting so I guess I know where to store my list!

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    We've had some bikes stolen from out front. Not mine, luckily. Front door to get in the building is standard city apartment fair, gotta have a key or somebody to buzz you in, then on top of that the place was built in the 20s so there's an inch of wood around the deadbolt plus both the locking areas have steel reinforcement plating on them.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Is it possible for you to move to a less shitty neighborhood once the insurance thing is dealt with?

• Options
    My experience has been that it's pretty pointless to have building that require you to be buzzed in because it's all too common and easy to get people to just let you in.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I hated letting people into the building when I was in one but it's just so fucking awkward to not, you always feel like a dick and people around here will yell at you too.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    My experience has been that it's pretty pointless to have building that require you to be buzzed in because it's all too common and easy to get people to just let you in.

I've been here almost two years and we tend to recognize everyone that lives here. Sometimes we get a person that hangs out at the callbox acting like they're having trouble working it, I've never let or seen anyone let them in. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just I haven't seen it. We've also got a couple of internal security cameras.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I hated letting people into the building when I was in one but it's just so fucking awkward to not, you always feel like a dick and people around here will yell at you too.

Exactly. I would regularly see other tenants let in people I didn't know. I wouldn't, but people would give me so much shit for it and I'm sure someone else just let them in five min later.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote:

@Westcoastavengersca1.jpg

• Options
    Magus` wrote:
    Is it possible for you to move to a less shitty neighborhood once the insurance thing is dealt with?

I have such a sweet deal on rent here and my commute is great. It's only in the last few years that things have been getting a bit seedier. Cops being called on my neighbor a few times in the past six months, couple cars broken into, things like that. It's not like I live in the ghetto or anything, the thread title may be a little hyperbolic.

That being said maybe I should think about it but I have so many other things on my mind right now.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Everyone needs insurance, renter's is like $15 a month

Also rottweilers are a good investment

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png