As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim]: Its actually Oblivion 2, in fact, its probably just Fallout with swords.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, do we know if Skyrim on PC will have controller support? After introducing my girlfriend to the world of mods for Oblivion, she's wanting to get the PC version of Skyrim, but is way more comfortable with the 360 controller than mouse/keyboard.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that it would.

Can't find where though.

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Speaking of which, do we know if Skyrim on PC will have controller support? After introducing my girlfriend to the world of mods for Oblivion, she's wanting to get the PC version of Skyrim, but is way more comfortable with the 360 controller than mouse/keyboard.

I don't think there's really been much of anything definitively announced about the PC version outside of mod support (which I think we all assumed anyway).

I would be pretty surprised though if the PC version *didn't* allow you to use a 360 controller given the presumed parity between ports, unless of course they redesign the UI for PC.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Having actually read about the game now, I am still going with an entirely naked character that is mostly crazy. If possible I will seek to become a vampire or werewolf. Optimally both at the same time. Possibly a vampire during the week and a werewolf on weekends.

And if I can't be a vampire and or werewolf, I will simply pretend that I am a vampire.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • flapjackflapjack Registered User regular

I don't think there's really been much of anything definitively announced about the PC version outside of mod support (which I think we all assumed anyway).

I would be pretty surprised though if the PC version *didn't* allow you to use a 360 controller given the presumed parity between ports, unless of course they redesign the UI for PC.

The PC version does support the 360 controller. Pete Hines has confirmed it on twitter a few times:

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/137

Finally some new footage and infos.

Also, we're now 20 days away from release and still no word on whether or not there will be a region lock. Contaced Steam & Bethesda customer support, tweeted Pete Hines, contacted the store I ordered Skyrim at, nothing.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    Also uh, what did you dislike about New Vegas that you're worried will be in Skyrim? I thought common opinion was that New Vegas was a refinement of the formula in Fallout 3.

Glacial pacing: Travel by foot made it take forever to get to new places. I felt the main story - at least, what I got through - was boring. Lots of loading screens. The environment/setting felt very one note.

Boring combat: I dislike faux-shooter RPG combat.

Quest issues: There is no way to tell where a quest giver has moved to, such as the case in the large military base in Vegas where I couldn't find a guy to turn some quests into because he either disappeared or moved somewhere else (nothing in my quest log or map would indicate his position, either). That's not to mention bad/vague directions to some quest locations, such as one of the very first quests to go to a cemetery to pick certain kinds of plants. The most obvious cemetery/memorial in the immediate area is defended by gigantic scorpions, which is instant death at the beginning of the game.

I don't mind exploring, but if I have an electronic map I can enter waypoints into, it should be possible to mark the locations of side-quests and quest givers.

The game started off strong, but it felt like it lost a lot of its steam after the town with the rocket launch. There was a lot of stuff to do, but I never really felt motivated to do it. There weren't any standout moments, and it mostly felt like a grind to me. It felt a lot like Demon's Souls - grinding for grinding's sake - which is another game I don't 'get'.

I just got a reply from customer support..looks like Skyrim does indeed have a region lock.

Suck my balls, Bethesda.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/137

Finally some new footage and infos.

Also, we're now 20 days away from release and still no word on whether or not there will be a region lock. Contaced Steam & Bethesda customer support, tweeted Pete Hines, contacted the store I ordered Skyrim at, nothing.

Whoah, you can win the allegiance of one of the dragons and summon it to help you in fights? Oh man...

camo_sig2.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Skyrim isn't using Gamebryo, right?

I'm loving New Vegas but I'm getting tired of objects jumping in the air every time I grab something from a surface.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:

I'm loving New Vegas but I'm getting tired of objects jumping in the air every time I grab something from a surface.
    It's a modded Gamebryo.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    Drez wrote:

It's a modded Gamebryo.
    Well, I just hope things stay put on tables and shit. That is my biggest gripe with Gamebryo.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    flapjack wrote:

The PC version does support the 360 controller. Pete Hines has confirmed it on twitter a few times:

Phew, was about to ask this myself.

I know people tend to roll their eyes about that, but for me Skyrim is strictly getting played on the big TV and couch; not interested in doing the mouse/keyboard thing with a game that looks that good.

I also wonder if it's going to do like Deus Ex: HR and feature two different UIs depending on what control scheme you're using.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    lol, A friend of mine who is a PS3 fanatic grew worried when he found out the 360 version of the game only had one disc. He said that it meant they had to scale down the game for everyone to meet the 360's "lower standards". I just laughed at him.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Based on Bethesda's previous excursions: not fucking likely.

Luckily we've got a fairly experienced team of modders scattered across the internet who'll fix any UI issues.

MechMantis on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    lol, A friend of mine who is a PS3 fanatic grew worried when he found out the 360 version of the game only had one disc. He said that it meant they had to scale down the game for everyone to meet the 360's "lower standards". I just laughed at him.

Likewise, you can only play the game on a high-speed internet connection directly wired in to Bethesda's servers. Every half hour, it stops to ask you for 5 pieces of personal information from a selection of 50 that you give when you first sign in on loading up the game. Thanks, Sony.

edit: jdarksun, no, that is Battlefield 3.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote:
    Riale wrote:
    Also uh, what did you dislike about New Vegas that you're worried will be in Skyrim? I thought common opinion was that New Vegas was a refinement of the formula in Fallout 3.

Glacial pacing: Travel by foot made it take forever to get to new places. I felt the main story - at least, what I got through - was boring. Lots of loading screens. The environment/setting felt very one note.

Boring combat: I dislike faux-shooter RPG combat.

Quest issues: There is no way to tell where a quest giver has moved to, such as the case in the large military base in Vegas where I couldn't find a guy to turn some quests into because he either disappeared or moved somewhere else (nothing in my quest log or map would indicate his position, either). That's not to mention bad/vague directions to some quest locations, such as one of the very first quests to go to a cemetery to pick certain kinds of plants. The most obvious cemetery/memorial in the immediate area is defended by gigantic scorpions, which is instant death at the beginning of the game.

I don't mind exploring, but if I have an electronic map I can enter waypoints into, it should be possible to mark the locations of side-quests and quest givers.

The game started off strong, but it felt like it lost a lot of its steam after the town with the rocket launch. There was a lot of stuff to do, but I never really felt motivated to do it. There weren't any standout moments, and it mostly felt like a grind to me. It felt a lot like Demon's Souls - grinding for grinding's sake - which is another game I don't 'get'.

some of this stuff will be impossible to know until the game is released, but i think its same to say that skyrim's environments will be far more beautiful and varied than fallout. just watch any video of the game and you should see that. also there arent any guns (to my knowledge) in skyrim, just bows, melee weapons, and magic, and you can dual wield weapons/magic and swap them out on the fly without having to preset them to the D-pad or bring up your menu, as you had to in fallout/oblivion. as for quests, some of that randomness may still be present, but we won't know that until release. none of the preview ive seen have said anything negative about that so far though. traveling by foot will still proabably take a while, but because of the rich environments, it shouldnt be so boring. there are also plenty of enemies in the wild, as well as random NPCs scattered around on farms and such that you can talk to and get newly generated quests from. we don't know a whole lot about the story, so i cant speak to whether or not it will remain interesting (oblivion's really didnt, as least for me), but fighting dragons will hands down be the defining moments of this game, and if you arent excited to fight a dragon, well, i just dont know what to tell you.

PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    flapjack wrote:

Phew, was about to ask this myself.

I know people tend to roll their eyes about that, but for me Skyrim is strictly getting played on the big TV and couch; not interested in doing the mouse/keyboard thing with a game that looks that good.

I also wonder if it's going to do like Deus Ex: HR and feature two different UIs depending on what control scheme you're using.

I'm with you there. My PC is hooked up via HDMI to my TV, and while I've played games on it with mouse/KB I'm probably just going to use the controller for Skyrim, both because the menus look like they'll work really well with controller input, and also because it's just more comfortable with my setup for a game that doesn't require super specific aiming accuracy.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    some of this stuff will be impossible to know until the game is released, but i think its same to say that skyrim's environments will be far more beautiful and varied than fallout. just watch any video of the game and you should see that. also there arent any guns (to my knowledge) in skyrim, just bows, melee weapons, and magic, and you can dual wield weapons/magic and swap them out on the fly without having to preset them to the D-pad or bring up your menu, as you had to in fallout/oblivion. as for quests, some of that randomness may still be present, but we won't know that until release. none of the preview ive seen have said anything negative about that so far though. traveling by foot will still proabably take a while, but because of the rich environments, it shouldnt be so boring. there are also plenty of enemies in the wild, as well as random NPCs scattered around on farms and such that you can talk to and get newly generated quests from. we don't know a whole lot about the story, so i cant speak to whether or not it will remain interesting (oblivion's really didnt, as least for me), but fighting dragons will hands down be the defining moments of this game, and if you arent excited to fight a dragon, well, i just dont know what to tell you.

Yeah, it certainly looks better than NV did. I'm not a graphics whore or anything (hell, I still love Xenogears, and it has more than a few warts on it), but there was just so much dessert and decrepit buildings I could take. Variety is good, and it looks like Skyrim has that going for it, visually, at least.

One of the things from the preview article that really jumped out at me was....
    the guy playing through the preview wanted to join the league of assassins. To that end, he started murdering people. After completing a quest in another town, he gets a letter from a courier that simply has a black hand and the words "We know" on it. Epic. And what's nice is that it blurs the gamey part of it - was the letter sent because of the side quest, or the other murders? Was the side quest made available because of the murders?

That's the kind of thing that would hook me into the world as it feels organic. Far better than not being able to obtain a quest because I don't have enough points in Speech.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Finally bit the bullet and pre-ordered the 360 version of Skyrim on Amazon. The guaranteed release-date shipping thing for $.99 is a nice little perk on top of the $10 promo card. I know its just squeezing an extra $.99 out of me over the free shipping option(which would probably get delivered on release day anyway) but it's nice to be able to know it'll be waiting at home that Friday night after I get off work.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Finally got the 360 controller working on the PC with Xpadder, took a few though.

Nice thing is the mouse still works and lets you go through the inventory!!!!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    Maz- wrote:

Oh man.

This looks so great.

i love how quests just pop up based on who you're talking to or some other random quest you complete. i'm proabably gonna be ignoring the main story for a loooong time.
    except to kill dragons

wait....
    I was going to do that but after what that video showed I might have to go through a fair amount of the main quest

Actual spoiler from that gametrailers episode.
    To get my dragon ally

yeah, but he made it sound like that was near the end of the game. and as awesome as that is, i know im not going to want to muscle through the majority of the story just to get to that part, and then do the hundereds of side quests ive racked up. plus with the random nature of some of the quests, i would imagine that there are some you can only do early on in the story, or ones that will disappear over time.

wait....
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Hay guys! This game is out soon!

I'm really excited about what species I can hunt with my mighty bow. I hope deer still squeal when you shoot them, hurhur.

Also, based on the gametrailers video, the prospect of leaping from the highest of mountains unharmed is thrilling!

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    hey so Newegg has Skyrim for 47.99 with a code for this weekend only

camo_sig.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    mts wrote:
    hey so Newegg has Skyrim for 47.99 with a code for this weekend only

Dammit. Really tempting, especially because this is a steamworks game and I'd never have to insert the disc again. But, I think I'll wait. Just got Arkham City and oh yeah grading papers over thanksgiving then taking exams in December. Probably want to pass those, so Skyrim will have to wait.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Jack.skJack.sk Registered User regular
    The Newegg code just for previous customers? I subbed to their newsletter but I cant find it.

• Jack.skJack.sk Registered User regular
    Stolen from the Steam thread. Newegg code is EMCYTZT852.

i pre-ordered from gamestop (for PS3) because im pretty sure there was a pre-order bonus....?

wait....
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    i pre-ordered from gamestop (for PS3) because im pretty sure there was a pre-order bonus....?

I believe the bonus is a cloth map. There's no in-game unlockables or anything like that for preordering.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    It is rather refreshing to not have a bunch of day 1 dlc or preorder bonuses launching with Skyrim.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    It is rather refreshing to not have a bunch of day 1 dlc or preorder bonuses launching with Skyrim.

This so much. So over saturated with stupid random bonuses right now.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    edited October 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FPSTW-Ubu4

Some new footage..along with commentary by 2 "competent" "journalists".

Maz- on
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    The very first thing out of his mouth was wrong... do these jokers do any research at all?

World's best janitor
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I can't stand listening to them. Is there a video of just the new footage without their horrible, inaccurate commentary?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    That "new" footage looks like it's just taken from the GTTV episode the other day, and it's made worse because these dudes don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Just watch the GTTV stuff where things are explained by people that know what the fuck.

Ughhhh.

How can they be so dumb?

That "new" footage looks like it's just taken from the GTTV episode the other day, and it's made worse because these dudes don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Just watch the GTTV stuff where things are explained by people that know what the fuck.

Yeah, parts of it are taken from GTTV, but some of it we really haven't seen before, I believe, like the two dragons fighting.

This discussion has been closed.