As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battlestar Galactica] - Daybreak expansion hitting stores now!

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    To summarize the game, the luck that the humans had during the first PA VASSAL game was completely turned around for the humans in this one. Twenty raiders pounding on the human fleet for what I think was four turns straight at the end of the game was pretty ridiculous.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • TmoiyTmoiy Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    We also only narrowly avoided a grisly death by boarding party. Apollo managed to roll an 8 on the very last turn before the life support would've been turned off. Alas, as it happened we only delayed the inevitable.

All in all a very fun game! I would look forward to another in a week or two.

Tmoiy on
  • lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What isn't shown in the image is also the completely destroyed Pegasus ship.

Also iamtheaznman I forgot to ask what your Super Crisis card was if you remember it.

lodwilk on
  • KaiserinKaiserin Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would be interested in playing again if possible.

Kaiserin on
    edited July 2011
    As would I, it was a very fun game last night.

lodwilk on
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I believe it was Psychological Warfare. Not the greatest for sure.

iamtheaznman on
  • KaiserinKaiserin Registered User regular
    Did you create a list of who made it into the upcoming game?

I don't believe any future games have been scheduled at this time?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    If there is a future BSG coming up, please let me know.

• iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    Looks like Tmoiy, Kaiserin and Lodwilk are interested so if there are two more you guys would have enough to play a game.

• psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    had a session last night where i was starbuck, starting as a cylon.

baltar (president) got to look at my loyalty card from a crisis, so of course said i was a cylon. i countered with "he's baltar and is the real cylon trying to make people suspicious of me". i somehow convinced zarek, who, on his turn, took the presidency.

on baltar and apollo's turns, they both XO'd zarek so he could dig through the quorum.

on my turn, i revealed, and brigged apollo.

on adama's turn, he XO'd zarek.

turns out, zarek was a cylon too. he brigged baltar, and then on his turn brigged adama, making the president-admiral-unrevealed cylon the only character not in the brig.

it was the most fun ive ever had as a cylon.

I am considering starting up a PbP game of BSG; is there still sufficient interest for that?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    If there isn't I'll play in two games at once, get confused and start throwing people out the airlock.

38thDoE on steam
    ๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote:
    If there isn't I'll play in two games at once, get confused and start throwing people out the airlock.

That is so much better when combined with your sig.

I'd be up for a game, Tmoiy.

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Since my current game is dead, absolutely.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The last couple times signs up ran there was certainly more than enough interest

PSN SeGaTai
    It's been a while so I thought I'd ask. Since there appear to be people who want to play, I will start setting everything up tonight (which might take a little while).

Does anyone happen to know how @MrBlarney and @Tenek make their graphical boards?

I'd be down for a pbp of this.

Tmoiy wrote:
    Does anyone happen to know how @MrBlarney and @Tenek make their graphical boards?

It is a mystery. And by mystery, I mean GIMP and a board template. If you're serious about running a game, shoot me a PM and give me an e-mail address I can send things off to.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Haha, that's what I was afraid of!

so my group just got the exodus expansion, and we recently played a game with all 3 components (basestar board, ionian nebula and final five/personal goals)

i was brother cavil, and ended up being alone against the human menace. (5 player game with a hostile agenda)

it was probably the most tense game ive been in, but i ended up getting trauma bombed during crossroads :(

anyways, after the game, all 4 of the humans were saying that they didnt want to play with the basestar board and cylon leaders because it was way too hard.

is this a common complaint? i suggested we removed the FF/PG element, but the suggestion i keep hearing is to drop cylon leaders from 5 player games. i dont really mind, cause i feel like ive played as much cylon leader as i want to, but im just curious if cylon fleet + cylon leader is too hard for humans.

psolms wrote:
    so my group just got the exodus expansion, and we recently played a game with all 3 components (basestar board, ionian nebula and final five/personal goals)

i was brother cavil, and ended up being alone against the human menace. (5 player game with a hostile agenda)

it was probably the most tense game ive been in, but i ended up getting trauma bombed during crossroads :(

anyways, after the game, all 4 of the humans were saying that they didnt want to play with the basestar board and cylon leaders because it was way too hard.

is this a common complaint? i suggested we removed the FF/PG element, but the suggestion i keep hearing is to drop cylon leaders from 5 player games. i dont really mind, cause i feel like ive played as much cylon leader as i want to, but im just curious if cylon fleet + cylon leader is too hard for humans.

Cavil with a hostile agenda is strong but I don't think it's necessarily too hard. You have at most one unrevealed Cylon, possibly none if you're playing with Conflicted Loyalties. I'd argue that all the Basestar Bridge does for him is make his Primacy ability less situational (since the BSB makes Cylon ships more "permanent", it's a better play, whereas if Cavil is in the wrong position in the game order he might never get a chance to drop basestars that the humans can't just immediately jump away from.) Also, in your game the humans apparently were able to solve the Cavil problem! But I can see it being a different sort of game that maybe they're not used to.

Can you convince them to try it again with Leoben or Six? Their abilities are far more subtle.

I like the Cylon Fleet board - it gives pilots something to do other than be a battery of red cards for Piloting skill checks, and makes space areas and unmanned vipers more relevant.

like i said, i dont really care if we ban cylon leaders, i love the BSB way more (the CAG <3)

and there was no other cylon, the cylon card was at the bottom of the stack.

i was just curious if anyone else felt that leader + fleet was too hard in a 5 player game

• FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    I'd like to play if another game starts up. My group has the game + Pegasus and I've looked over the exodus rules so I'm familiar with them as well.

Picked up Exodus this weekend and played a game without the Ionian nebula. The cylon fleet board changes things a lot, and our pilot was a cylon, sooo yeah. Also we executed a human by mistake and he came back as a pilot... and a cylon. We were pretty well fucked. I really like the fleet board though, for a lot of reasons.

Hm, I've been thinking about trying a New Caprica game with the CFB. Anyone have experience with that?

We haven't touched new caprica because I heard from a lot of sites that it was crap. Our games tend to end with humans dying anyway so I guess it wouldn't actually matter.

• WylderneedshelpWylderneedshelp Registered User regular
    We've played a lot of all the objective types with all different numbers of players. (My group really likes BSG). Out of probably 30+ games of various types, I have the following recommendations in no particular order:

* Ionian Nebula is the best objective by far
    * Never play New Caprica objective. It's terrible.
    * The Cylon fleet is a LOT better than the attack cards. It adds predictability to the game and a build up of desperation for the humans. Attack cards just ruin games by either not appearing, or appearing too many at once.
    * Conflicted loyalties adds something and offers little downside. Use it. Just disallow people suggesting that they should be executed for "I can't say" if they can't complete their personal goals. Why the rules didn't already cover this I have no idea. It seems a LOT like cheating.
    * Hostile agenda cylon leaders (3 & 5 player games) destroy the mystery of hunting for unrevealed cylons by removing one of them. Only allow cylon leaders in 4,6 & 7 player games.
    * Cylon leaders are required in 4, 6 & 7 player games. Never use the sympathizer card.
    * 5 players is the sweet spot for BSG, as long as you disallow cylon leaders from that game. 3 & 4 are too few for appropriate levels of chaos. 6 & 7 take too long for game rounds and the number of cards between each player's turn limits how much impact each person can actually have.
    * Never play 3 player games with Baltar. Seriously.
    * Always be suspicious of your admiral. That rat bastard is picking high-fuel-cost cards on purpose!

Overall, Exodus really improved the base game a hell of a lot. It actually makes it hard for me to get games of anything else with 5 or more players because everyone loves BSG so much. However using setups other than those given above do tend to detract quite a bit from the game.

My group has a few variant rules leftover from Razor Cut (Pegasus community variants) that we still use. Alternate agendas that are actually interesting, negative skill checks are automatically reckless (this one seems pretty common). Also all of a player's loyalty cards are dealt at the beginning. At 4 distance there's a court martial, where someone gets accused and a skill check is done that possibly executes them.

When is the next BSG game coming? Haven't played one in the last six months, maybe longer. :(

Have things slowed down on this site?

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I think game 7 is the only one currently running and has been going at a pretty mellow pace-think some of the usual hosts are involved in other games/busy as well

PSN SeGaTai
    PbP is sort of a drag in Vanilla without the email alerts for subscribed threads.

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    You can bookmark the bookmarked threads view to see quickly what's been updated. But that does still require you to visit the forums.

Will have to keep an eye open for updates.

Are email updates a thing the mods have said they just can't do, or will they happen eventually? I've been gone since before the new forums

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    From July:
    We'll restore that if/when it becomes feasible.

Darian on
    Looks like it will be a while before things are back to the good old days.

Happy Halloween to all.

Apparently Vassal is an option for a real time game. Show of hands for that? I've done next to no research yet.