As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MSPA: my tenuous grasp on the mspa thread is nearing its end

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    GSM wrote:
    Also, jeeze, a fifteen minute long flash animation over fifty megs. I'd really like to see his keyframe timeline. How many layers do you think he uses? I bet he doesn't name his movieclips.

He explained a while ago that his general animation style is just importing a bunch of images and moving them around/scaling and stuff. He might not use movieclips except for specific effects.

I too would like to gaze upon the keyframe bar and know the magic behind this.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Thing I just noticed in Drunkstuck.
    ASimPerson wrote:
    04032_1.gif
    WAIT WHAAAAAAAAAAA

Look at where Aradiacestor is hitting the wall. That can't be a coincidence (actually it probably is but who cares)

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    GSM wrote:
    Editing down is for media bound by practical limitations like paper pages, film stock, or reasonable expectations of audience attention span.

This is the internet. None of those apply.

Also, jeeze, a fifteen minute long flash animation over fifty megs. I'd really like to see his keyframe timeline. How many layers do you think he uses? I bet he doesn't name his movieclips.

He said here that he had to split it up into 5 files and that after 7 minutes it started crashing Flash. Nothin' more technical than that though.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    It's not likely to be a coincidence but it also isn't likely to have any importance to the story

just hussie doing the self-referential thing he do

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote:
    NeoToma wrote:
    The Prospit Dreamers all acended to godhood through the trusting of others

Jade carried by Bec
    John lead there by Vriska
    Vriska brought there by Tavros

While Derse Dreamers got there by sacrificing themselves for the greater good

I'm wondering if that is significant

Aradia didn't exactly sacrifice herself

she was just kinda there

still though, neat

Also Jade didn't really trust jack, either.

Well, she trusted him not to kill her, but that's it.

And him carrying her seemed to be entirely out of her control.

Although, come to think of it, why DID he bring her to the quest bed? Did he know how to do what he did, or did he have an informant helping him, or did he even know she would be ressurected? Too many questions.

Remember, he killed John on his quest bed only for john to come back to life on him

so he must have made the connection that the quest beds had some kind of resurrection powers

There's no indication that I've seen that suggests he understands the relevance of where John died.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    And now, we will learn about the Sufferer.

I'm summing up a summary here, so it might be a little curt. But there'll be pictures!
    http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005953
    First start there and admire the flash file. Now, a summary of that page.

The ancestors of the 12 trolls we know were once the players of Sgurb. However, inadquately prepared, they were doomed to fail. However, this was not entirely their fault.
    But their failure was more comprehensive, more systemic, than a result of simple inadequacy so common to young players of this game. Though they could not recognize it for the bad omen it was, this session was not the one in which they had been spawned. Such is the symptom of a subtle glitch affecting certain sessions, an error designed to trigger an unfathomable cascade of misfortune throughout paradox space. This glitch is the calling card of the one I serve. It is the discreet, gentlemanly manner in which he reserves his place in a universe for later visitation.
    I underlined that one part. Why? Er, it's not important right now.

Recognizing their failure, they made a deal with "the mother of all monsters". She told them that they could get a second chance. A Scratch. With a hard reset, there would be 12 new heroes, and the failed heroes would have no memory of their session.

In the scratched session, the failed heroes became the ancestors, and those who had been their ancestors would be come the heroes. In addition, the scratched session spawned Doc Scratch.

As we saw in Hivebent, the new heroes suceeded in their quest. However, there was one hiccup with the plan. The Signless.
    room90.gif
    Hey isn't that Hussie?

04051.gif
    Unlike his peers distributed elsewhere in history, he was not given a sign at a young age. Alas, there were no signs reserved for one of his mutant blood. His genetic deviation from the social order made him a pariah, forcing him to wander the world alone for many sweeps, concealing the color of his blood to avoid certain execution.

However, his deviation also perhaps gave him the ability to see the imagery of an alternate Alternia.
    He would preach heretical ideas no one else had dared to entertain, let alone risk discussing. He espoused the virtues of forgiveness, compassion, and equality among all bloodlines. He distributed his message intelligently, careful to preach only to those receptive, never attracting unwelcome attention. But his growing movement could go unnoticed by the authorities for only so long.

His movement sparked a massive civil war, but backed by Her Imperious Condenscesion the lowbloods stood no chance.

04052_2.gif
    When he was finally killed, his anger rung through the cosmos with his last breath. This Vast Expletive was his final sermon, and somewhere encoded in its wavelengths was the truth in his teachings, waiting to reveal itself to any who would inherit his burden.
    room92.gif
    BOOYEAH!
    (Outside of this parenthetical aside, all text in the spoilers is the Hussie's.)

04053_2.gif
    His shackles became the symbol of his dwindling disciples. By the time the trolls we know came around, the Suffer's tale was almost nothing but a myth. But his followers had worked in the shadows for centuries, and when another of his bloodline came, he would have a lusus and a sign.

The first of his followers would be the Dolorosa.
    04054.gif
    Working in the caverns as an attendant to the mother grub, she first found the crater where he landed. Taking a huge risk in an massive exception for trollkind, she would raise him.
    room94.gif
    Oh hell no. He's talking about ancestors again, isn't he?

There were two others in his inner circle.
    04055.gif
    The Ψiioniic was a mage of unequaled telekinetic ability, who upon hearing the words of the Sufferer was inspired to free himself from the sort of slavery typical of his mentally gifted class.

And, just to prove that I didn't make this up.
    But his most devoted of all was his Disciple. She listened to every vision he retold, every lesson he preached, and faithfully recorded his scripture. Her ear was open to him always, and in time, his heart opened to her. To spread his message throughout the world they took to the seas in the vessel of legend known as the First Ship. It was said their love went beyond the four quadrants, transcending the grid entirely. Whatever that nonsense actually means.
    And, thus, Biblestuck was born.
    room95.gif
    He's keeping little girls locked up in weird rooms, and rambling about troll ancestors. I just know it.

04056.gif
    Hey, remember Equius's ancestor and how he got helped out of a jam by Mindfang. Well... this was that jam. He saved Nepatacestor from death and thus she was able to preserve the Suffer's word.

The Dolorosa was less fortunate. Much less. Hey, remember the first journal entry we found? You know, with the "lesbian pirate troll erotica fanfic". Well...
    But the Dolorosa was less fortunate, and was sold into slavery. She spent the rest of her life as property of vicious sea dwellers.
    Yeah....

Oh, yeah, what about the other guy?
    04057.gif
    He became the finest Helmsman in the fleet of Her Imperious Condescension. His lifespan artificially lengthened by her touch, she used his unique abilities to power the fastes ship in the fleet - hers.

04059.gif
    04060.gif
    Backed by her lusus who lived in the deep ocean, she used the threat of the lusus's vast glub to keep the various classes in line. The bloodlines formed a hierarchy by their suspecitbility, with the most common being the most vulrnerable.

After another civil war led by the Summoner, she scattered the adults of Alternia to the stars, locked in everlasting conquest.

Comforted by this division, the Trolls were able to expand ever further into outer space. However, at long last Gl'bgolyb became more attached to one of her successors than to her. And, at least, farther away than ever, Alternia was bombarded by meteorites and the young slaughtered. The VAST GLUB caused a galaxy wide extinction event, leaving only the Condesce to travel back to Alternia at the mere speed of light.

04062.gif
    612 solar sweeps later....
    She will find nothing but ruins and dust. If she cared to look closer, she would find a city of slain exiles, a man on the moon, and a pair of black lovers locked in a deadly dance. But whether she looks or not, one thing will find her with certainty.

A new employment opportunity.
    room102.gif
    MY BEAUTIFUL PANELS WHAT HAS HE DONE. That son of a bitch. It's is going to take so many sweeps to clean this mess up. So very, very many sweeps.

There will be two more updates, I believe.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote:

There's no indication that I've seen that suggests he understands the relevance of where John died.

No, there isn't

but obviously he has come to understand since then that quest beds resurrect people

as a game piece he probably already knows that quest beds are special somehow

especially since the kingdoms have legends about the lore of the game

so the idea that he would figure out that that's why John didn't stay dead would make sense

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    I am keenly anticipating Drunkstuck: Cascade

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Goatmon wrote:

No, there isn't

but obviously he has come to understand since then that quest beds resurrect people

so the idea that he would figure out that that's why John didn't stay dead would make sense

It's possible he knew what would happen. But not certain.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Goatmon wrote:
    Goatmon wrote:

No, there isn't

why take her there if he didn't know

• Options
    It's cosmically unlikely Jack would have taken Jade to the quest bed if he didn't know what at least might happen.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Goatmon wrote:
    Goatmon wrote:

No, there isn't

You do realize I was just asking this question, right?

I was saying that we don't know anything for certain, here. It's probable, but I haven't seen enough to be certain that knew exactly what he was doing.

Hell, he may have just thought the location was important, but not why, and thought it would be an appropriate place to leave her remains. We just don't know.

Goatmon on

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    again, guys: he only gave a shit about jade because bec's in his head

bec would definitely know how the game works

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Goatmon wrote:
    Goatmon wrote:
    Goatmon wrote:

No, there isn't

You do realize I was just asking this question, right?

I was saying that we don't know anything for certain, here. It's probable, but I haven't seen enough to believe he knew exactly what he was doing.

Hell, he may have just thought the location was important, but not why, and thought it would be an appropriate place to leave her remains. We just don't know.

okay

either

he randomly and for no reason took her to a place that brought her back to life

or

he knew that taking her there would revive her and took her there in order to bring her back to life

you're right there's no way to tell WHAT was going through that crazy dog cat bird tentacle clown man's mind

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    no he wouldn't, bec has all the intellect of an ordinary dog.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Hey Speed.
    Speed.
    Shoosh shoosh shoosh Shoosh

• Options
    either way, noir's motivations for bringing her there really don't matter

• Options
    bec would only know in that he is prototyped and has all the knowledge that provides

he is otherwise just an omnipotent dog

but there hasn't been anything to suggest the game knowledge aspect of a sprite is also transferred to a ring bearer, just the aspects of what they are prototyped with.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    one thing I always liked about act 4 jack

his whole rebellion was based on not wanting to wear a dumb hat

and then he put the ring on and his head morphed into the shape of a dumb hat

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    jack is pretty great

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    one thing I always liked about act 4 jack

his whole rebellion was based on not wanting to wear a dumb hat

and then he put the ring on and his head morphed into the shape of a dumb hat

I have always appreciated this irony as well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    anyway

time for sleep

perhaps i will not wake up in the morning

but then i'd miss the rest of updates, forever. hm.

• Options
    huh

if you pause Cascade near the start of part two, with the spirograph, the spirograph keeps moving

this is not actually particularly interesting

• Options
    actually, new godtier hoodie designs are out. Hero of Mind is pretty rad but I'm not into the color so much. Hero of Heart is too hearty.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the others. The Hero of Rage design should be interesting.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I am keenly anticipating Drunkstuck: Cascade

Eh... Hussie kind of beat me to the punch: http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/11941710181
    Maybe if he doesn't do the follow-on post I'll still do it.

By the way, the next Drunkstuck contains some import stuff! Remember to click the spoilers.

Oh, and yeah, A SNEAK PREVIEW OF THE NEXT DRUNKSTUCK:
    04074.gif

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    okay

either

or

he knew that taking her there would revive her and took her there in order to bring her back to life

you're right there's no way to tell WHAT was going through that crazy dog cat bird tentacle clown man's mind

You don't really believe those are the only options, do you? o_O

Goatmon on

• Options
    It seems the kingdoms have some amount of knowledge on how the Incipisphere works based primarily on story and legends. Like an old story on how a dead hero would come back when placed on these mysterious beds on these lands, or secret labs that would take you to the Genesis Frog that comprises their universe. How specific these stories are on the mechanics of the session is unknown. It's not an impossibility that Jack knew of a revered bed special to his people, and the Bec part of him wanted to give Jade a good place to rest. Or suspected that it would bring her back.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Again, trying to summarize a summary. My apologies.
    The 12th ancestor arrived a bit late.
    04064.gif
    04065_2.gif
    I would raise the girl to be groomed for her calling. My lessons would emphasize obedience, mastery of the clockwork majyyks, and being locked in a room.

As you must have gathered by now, my employer will enter this universe quite soon. I will then relinquish my custody to him, and she will serve as his Handmaid for an eternity to be specified. As you must have also gathered, she has already done so. Though her most common of blood should have let her expire in just a dozen or two sweeps, his curse kept her very much alive.

And she did not intend to stay that way.

04066.gif
    She would become the Handmaid in the direct service of Scratch's master.

Whereas Scratch is a weapon of subtley - "a soldier in a war of a single shot fired" - the Handmaid would be the instrument of terror. She would be used to directly shape Alternia's and the Trolls' evolution, inspiring a world where the eventual players would be well prepared for the game. (What he means by this is something you should probably be familiar with by now.) With the abolity to travel through time, she would be there at all of the Troll civilization's key moments.
    room106.gif
    Whoa, better go easy on these. Might need some later.

04068.gif
    The two last trolls alive, blood of rust and royalty, will make each other pay for the crimes against their race. Their payment will be mutually dealt in the currency of punishment and reward at once. The Condesce will be rewarded with the power and immortality her new service entails, and punished by the grueling slavery for which it is synonymous. And you, young lady, are to be punished by death at the hands of your replacement. And so too will this be your reward.
    room108.gif
    Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. My heartbeat falls in rhythm with the clock as I draw close to my prey. I leave nothing to chance, for you see it is the most dangerous prey of all, a four foot tall asshole in suspenders who won't shut up. Wait for it, Hussie. Wait for it...

room109.gif
    04070.gif

room110.gif
    04071.gif

room111.gif
    04072_1.gif
    See? Even that little girl has had enough of your shit. Run, Aradia's ancestor! Run!!!! You have locked up your last asian schoolgirl, you sick fuck.

Oh don't you flop around at me like that. Are you listening little man?!
    room112.gif
    LEtext1.gif

04073_1.gif
    04073_2.gif
    room113.gif
    LEtext2.gif

04074.gif
    I guess...

I guess he is just a limp lifeless puppet when I am around. Like a reverse Calvin and Hobbes kind of thing. That is...

That is a little disturbing.
    room114.gif
    LEtext3.gif

04075.gif
    room115.gif
    LEtext4.gif
    room116.gif
    LEtext5.gif

04077.gif
    Wait, what? Isn't that Disc 2?
    room117.gif
    LEtext6.gif

04078.gif
    SNAPINGWRONG.jpg
    04080.gif

One more to go.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    So It's looking like the The Condese is going to go to the human's scratched session and act as AradiaAncestor did for the troll.

Scratched Earth is gonna be this crazy nightmare ruled by Betty Crocker

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    http://aquadyne.tumblr.com/
    Me: maybe hussie is a bleach fan
    Me: in the worst way possible
    Me: can you imagine
    Me: hussie in bleach shipwars
    Quicken: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Quicken: he seems like the ichihime type

What's Wrong With Ichihime???????

Gunna go Bankai on this fool.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    no he wouldn't, bec has all the intellect of an ordinary dog.

not entirely

had enough of an understanding of sburb to know that prototyping himself would keep anyone wearing the ring from trying to kill jade, remember?

he's a dog, yes, but he's also a first guardian, and that has to bring some mental enhancements with it

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Goatmon wrote:
    okay

either

or

You don't really believe those are the only options, do you? o_O

any other explanation for his actions is groundless speculation

at this point in time there's no reason to think there was any other reason than the obvious

which isn't to say that it's definitely that

but that i's the only sensible thing to assume until more information comes to light, and there's currently no reason to doubt that assumption

and it's such a minor detail in the grand scheme of things that I seriously doubt it's ever going to be elaborated upon further

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    such a good panel

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    A SNEAK PREVIEW OF THE NEXT, AND PROBABLY FINAL FOR NOW, DRUNKSTUCK
    04105_1.gif

• Options
    Dammit Lexxy isn't here anymore I needed to ask her an important question.

Does Jade still have human ears, and if so, how are her glasses staying up?

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    They are resting on the cheek-prongs that all dogs in this universe have.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Even if it wasn't pretty clear that the ears are a part of her, the hood makes it kind of obvious, since it's got the same button-up flaps that the troll god tiers get for their horns.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Also, after rereading the last couple pages before the flash, I realized I'd completely forgotten that Jade had just completed the genesis frog. Which is now in a volcano. Whoops.

Goatmon on

• Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    a very important question yes

• Options
    edited October 2011
    NeoToma wrote:
    So It's looking like the The Condese is going to go to the human's scratched session and act as AradiaAncestor did for the troll.

Scratched Earth is gonna be this crazy nightmare ruled by Betty Crocker

Pretty sure she already did her thing.

Grandpa Harley and Nanna were terrorized as kids by a crazy witch-like baking baroness who has yet to be named.

Goatmon on

This discussion has been closed.