As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Midsummer Night's [chat]

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    The Lion King is the best adaptation of Hamlet ever.

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Havelock wrote:
    Has there ever been a film adaptation of The Tempest?

Yes, recently. Helen Mirren was in it.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    You know what makes Shakespeare even better?

GUNS AND EXPLOSIONS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsYrGIQnmxo
    Pony wrote:
    modern retellings of Shakespeare own

Yes. they do.

I liked romeo+juliet.

But this looks really fun.

ftOqU21.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    tl;dr have you seen the latest episode of always sunny?

it's not quite 'implications' level. but there is a conversation there that is so egocentric and sociopathic it elicits the same sort of 'oh, no!' laughter. it involves a bunker and is just fucking hilarious.
    I have not! In fact, I haven't had much of any time for TV. I just recently got to watch the first episode of this season of Dexter.

Adding that to my queue, though

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    the Coriolanus trailer inevitably reminds me of the TV show Kings

which I absolutely adore and is incredibly fantastic but is very hard to get people to watch because it has one season then it got cancelled and the plot has no real resolution

but my god it's some of the best acting and writing that has ever been on TV

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:

You didn't see modern Romeo + Juliet if you can claim such an opinion.

Everything about that movie but romeo and juliet was fantastic.

John Leguizamo's Tybalt = awesome
    Dude that was Mercutio = awesome

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:

are you high

I'd have to be to enjoy that movie.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    G'marnen, [Chat].

It's the start of another beautiful day of unemployment.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
    things i like:

political drama
    explosions
    guns
    homoerotic masculinity
    modern adaptations of classics
    ralph fiennes

so this Coriolanus movie has me pretty excited

Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:

are you high

you weird, bro

it's a very uneven movie, basically everything concerning romeo and juliet themselves is sorta lame

but basically everything else about that movie is amazing

• Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Romeo and Juliet is not great. It's about stupid teens who think they're in love, but can't be together, and so they die.

It's basically the Twilight of its time.

Okay yeah, Michael from Lost as a cross-dressing Mercutio was great. I maintain the rest was mostly balls.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Does it make me a horrible person to say that I liked Mel Gibson's Hamlet best of the film versions?

Wash wrote:
    Okay yeah, Michael from Lost as a cross-dressing Mercutio was great. I maintain the rest was mostly balls.

when was the last time you watched it

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I feel the correct way to refer to that movie is Baz Luhrmann's William Shakespeare's Romeo Plus Juliet

rRwz9.gif
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Everything about Romeo+Juliet is great. Including DiCaprio's performance.

Romeo and Juliet is not great. It's about stupid teens who think they're in love, but can't be together, and so they die.

yes but Baz Luhrmann is an incredible film-maker and if you can't look past the teenage angst and the shoddy over-acting of a young Leo DiCaprio then i don't fucking know, man

have you seen the movie we're talking about

ftOqU21.png
    alright, i am off downtown to have lunch with Cass, Choco, and BeNarwhal

peace out homies

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    "Local honey cures allergies" is marketing brilliance. I've never met a single person who has claimed that it helped their allergies, but no one is mad since they never expected it to work to begin with. And they keep buying it anyway because it's so much tastier. It's perfect.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:

are you high

you weird, bro

it's a very uneven movie, basically everything concerning romeo and juliet themselves is sorta lame

It lost me when they pulled their longswords out and the swords were guns.

That stuff is either going to seem awesome or stupid to an audience, and I fall into the latter category.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    "Local honey cures allergies" is marketing brilliance. I've never met a single person who has claimed that it helped their allergies, but no one is mad since they never expected it to work to begin with. And they keep buying it anyway because it's so much tastier. It's perfect.

I'm generally not OK with outright lies as a marketing trick

ftOqU21.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    romeo does not sparkle

Dynagrip wrote:

That was terrible. When did the Onion start letting people do serious Op-Eds with gastly wordplay as a patina f comedy over them?
    Or am I missing something, and the very existence of the column is a meta-comment on whether or not Krugman's argument can possibly be serious?

Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:

are you high

you weird, bro

That stuff is either going to seem awesome or stupid to an audience, and I fall into the latter category.

...you have seen very few plays I guess

ftOqU21.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Well, I had some luke warm interest, so I made a thread in CF. Everybody should go and play.

It's not really a PBP, in that you don't have to make a character or anything and you can just play at your own pace. Hopefully it should be fun.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:

I'm generally not OK with outright lies as a marketing trick

Well, this is more bullshit popular medical advice than marketing, but marketers could learn from it!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    Also, Romeo+Juliet had Pete Postelthwaite.

Abdhyius wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Pony wrote:

are you high

you weird, bro

...you have seen very few plays I guess

yeah i don't know man

this sort of thing is pretty standard for plays, many shakespeare plays mess with the period a little, change the period and the setting and the costumes and shit

it's one of the beauties of Shakespeare, that adaptability of the basic core stories

also the longswords and daggers in this context were referred to as brands of guns (even printed on them)

it worked

you a busta

Are there many plays where the swords are guns Abdy

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Honey has been shown to be more effective than Dextromethorphan (the common ingredient in cough syrup) in relieving cough. Never heard that claim about allergies, though.

Mmm... placebos

Abdhyius wrote:

have you seen the movie we're talking about

I've seen Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet and it is, in my opinion, the least-worst adaptation of the play produced.

As a general rule, I never like "modern adaptations" of shakespeare, on film or the stage. I can't think of an exception, honestly. They all annoy me.

Wash wrote:

yes

this is commonplace

dude do you go to the stratford festival at all

ever

spool32 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

That was terrible. When did the Onion start letting people do serious Op-Eds with gastly wordplay as a patina f comedy over them?
    Or am I missing something, and the very existence of the column is a meta-comment on whether or not Krugman's argument can possibly be serious?
    OK, for those wondering:

Yes, it was a Photoshopped picture of me as Dracula. In the long run we are undead and all that, but not yet.

No, I didn’t have anything to do with the article. But they spelled my name right, so it’s all good..

what if the guns shot swords

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    spool32 wrote:
    Does it make me a horrible person to say that I liked Mel Gibson's Hamlet best of the film versions?
    well, just so long as you don't like Branagh's version.

wandering on
    I'm on the line with tech support for this terrible, awful law firm software and the guy is so nice but the software and his answers are all so bad.

Wash wrote:
    did it break your immersion

This discussion has been closed.