As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

• Options
    spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My lvl 33 squire has +150 tower damage(with current gear I can upgrade them to about +185 once I make like 1mil moneyz) and I destroy everything on hard, I am in top 5 ranks on every map I have tried so far. Harpoons hitting for over 4k at stupid fast speeds AND penetrating entire waves of mobs is just OP to the max.

I kinda don't even want to lvl him so that I can have high leaderboard ranks with a low lvl :)

spitfirek on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    I dont even understand why people worry about exp. I level too fast already. I'm going to be sad when I have no more levels to gain :(

Because if you play with a dedicated group of friends and two of the three are severely outleveling the other then the lower level player feels like they aren't really contributing and won't have much fun.

This is exactly it for me. That's why I get frustrated with games like Dungeon Defenders or Castle Crashers that only give EXP for getting the kill on a monster instead of splitting it evenly. It makes no sense. It creates situations where even though it's supposed to be a coop game, you have people fighting to put turrets further up/kill monsters before they get to the turrets of the other players so that they can get the exp.

3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    I dont even understand why people worry about exp. I level too fast already. I'm going to be sad when I have no more levels to gain :(

Because if you play with a dedicated group of friends and two of the three are severely outleveling the other then the lower level player feels like they aren't really contributing and won't have much fun.

But if you're playing with a dedicated group of friends why would your friends screw you over and steal your xp?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Meister wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

This is exactly it for me. That's why I get frustrated with games like Dungeon Defenders or Castle Crashers that only give EXP for getting the kill on a monster instead of splitting it evenly. It makes no sense. It creates situations where even though it's supposed to be a coop game, you have people fighting to put turrets further up/kill monsters before they get to the turrets of the other players so that they can get the exp.

I see. I just kill things because its fun. Maps are big enough that I just take a section and clear it. Problem solved. If someone tries to butt in I just sell off their tower and go about my business, it's my quadrant, and they can keep rebuilding it if they want to. More mana for me. Most maps past the first 4 are big enough that you can pretty much just take a corner.

Of course, again, I'm literally gaining several levels from single solo runs, so if I ever feel like I need to 'catch up' it takes all of.. 12 minutes? I think. to gain three or so levels as long as I'm not playing my huntress. (Who only gains one and a half. Alas!)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeedkillerWeedkiller Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

But if you're playing with a dedicated group of friends why would your friends screw you over and steal your xp?

They aren't trying to. But in my group of friends that I play with the huntress long since gave up dealing with traps and just kills stuff. That's fine with the rest of us, but now she's gaining a lot less xp and falling behind. Meanwhile the monk's single lightning aura in each lane is slaughtering almost every non lightning immune monster. The game should be about being effective as a group, not trying to keep some people from doing their best so that everyone gets an even share of kills.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, the "this person gets the kill so only they get the exp" dynamic actively encourages dickhead behavior, and it's a horrible design choice.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    +1 for attack huntresses falling behind in levels.
    Started at the same level as a trap huntress I was playing with, they quickly were 2 levels ahead of me from all the xp they were getting from trap kills. Wasn't long until I was basically leeching and they were like 10 levels ahead of me.

There is no reason trap/tower xp shouldn't be shared, especially when I am healing and upgrading them.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote:
    +1 for attack huntresses falling behind in levels.
    Started at the same level as a trap huntress I was playing with, they quickly were 2 levels ahead of me from all the xp they were getting from trap kills. Wasn't long until I was basically leeching and they were like 10 levels ahead of me.

There is no reason trap/tower xp shouldn't be shared, especially when I am healing and upgrading them.

This. If I'm spending all my money on your stuff, throw me a bone!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

They're not nor did I say they were.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    spitfirek wrote:
    My lvl 33 squire has +150 tower damage(with current gear I can upgrade them to about +185 once I make like 1mil moneyz) and I destroy everything on hard, I am in top 5 ranks on every map I have tried so far. Harpoons hitting for over 4k at stupid fast speeds AND penetrating entire waves of mobs is just OP to the max.

I kinda don't even want to lvl him so that I can have high leaderboard ranks with a low lvl :)
    My lvl 48 has an atk of +79 but an atk rate of +98. I guess I need to pay more attention to gear and upgrading for my tower squire because those stats are godly.

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote:
    spitfirek wrote:

My lvl 48 has an atk of +79 but an atk rate of +98. I guess I need to pay more attention to gear and upgrading for my tower squire because those stats are godly.

They are also grossly impossible.....116 points is all you can have spent on player advancement at level 33. Level 33 gear, AT BEST, has +20 upgrades per item, 6 items, 120 points, AT BEST mind you. that's 236 points to spend. What has been stated above is impossible. Troll more douche...

• Options
    So my pretty squire isn't lame?

Edit: Close one.

• Options
    spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    texasheat wrote:
    joshgotro wrote:
    spitfirek wrote:

They are also grossly impossible.....116 points is all you can have spent on player advancement at level 33. Level 33 gear, AT BEST, has +20 upgrades per item, 6 items, 120 points, AT BEST mind you. that's 236 points to spend. What has been stated above is impossible. Troll more douche...

You can put 70 points into 1 stat max. I have not found a cap from gear yet. I currently have +163 tower damage and I am lvl 41 now, I have 16 more item upgrade levels total across all my gear, that brings me to +179(assuming I put all of them into tower damage, which I will). This is all random crappy gear also. Once I get to max lvl I expect to find MUCH better stuff.

If you dont believe me, here is the screenshot of my character window:
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614966810893546914/C42C358B5003DBE36E1B1640076075B265F71030/

Here is my 3star harpoon damage:
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614966810893677219/7733B5BEE5B04C9D88580929AC561D89448B30C6/

Here is my 3star harpoon damage w/ app pet
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/614966810893673959/13F38CD787C26FDFD85840711BD75F33BD6757C2/

EDIT: Also, attack rate and range are not very good on squire. The harpoons start to aim at random crap they cant hit through walls and it messes up their shots all the time if you have high range, and attack speed only reduces the time between attack animation.

spitfirek on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I found my huntress one of those bone crossbows on Hard Ramparts. It's not a great one, but it's a huge improvement over the pea-shooter she had before. :^:

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    FragarachFragarach Never misses. Registered User regular
    I will say, having 4 tower specced folks can be a bit of a headache. I think for my solo tendencies I should make a new guy and switch my huntress to DPS. I should probably hit max level first, though. It works out, because constantly repairing traps can be a little bit tedious (and I have max trap health!).

• Options
    I made an all DPS huntress since my buddies are tower spec or hybrid. It's fun melting faces.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Which character type gets the highest DPS anyways?

Also, is it better to keep plowing through on normal, or should I go back and do a couple of maps on hard for better gear/exp?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Huntress seems to be the goto on the official forums. I rolled one and I'm impressed so far. But I haven't played squire past 26 (and tower spec) which I think can be the other contender. The other nice thing is hunter gets piercing shot power, and other bows that pierce lanes of mobs (bone bow I believe). so theres high damage potential.

Keep in mind, my huntress is like 30. But I have a fancy dragon guns that shoots 3 bullets and AoE for 275 fire damage and 70 lightning.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anyone on Xbox want to partner up for awhile? Playing alone can get a little boring after awhile.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I'll be home in about a half hour.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    I definitely need to find a better gun. Currently if I full hero spec my huntress I can get about 3.8k DPS, which is.. alright, but definitely not ogre melting.

I also wish I could somehow make my pet attack the dummy so I could check its damage. My darkbot (Which is costing me way too much to upgrade) almost has 1000+ on its damage stat. Four or five more upgrades to go though. We'll see how it ends up once I dump enough mana into it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Three thousand? What level are you? I can barely do 100-200 DPS right now. Is it all about equipment?

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    All about getting a weapon with a high base damage (80 odd) and lots of upgrades (20 odd).

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    Also anything with a shots per second above 2 is a good idea as well. 2 is so-so but if it can start at 4 or 5 you're much better off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, as far as Huntress weapons go, is my best bet grinding some Hard or Insanes to look for decently stated Godlies? I want to see what's up with the weapon from Raining Goblins, but I can't solo it to save my life.

• Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Woot just soloed 15 waves of insane survival got a medusa, felt nice. Had 100 hp left on my crystal.

Lubony on
    No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Did some multi with friends last night. It's fun, the xp sharing issue/Squire OPness just kind of bothers me.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Squire is OP? I play with a group of friends and we only use my squire for barricades. I've got loads of points into hero damage, tower tankiness, and repair speed.

Am i doing it wrong?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    hadoken wrote:
    Squire is OP? I play with a group of friends and we only use my squire for barricades. I've got loads of points into hero damage, tower tankiness, and repair speed.

Am i doing it wrong?

Squire's towers tend to have better DPS than Apprentice towers, and have no elemental issues

The only thing Apprentice's towers do much better is killing wyverns with a deadly strike tower

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    hadoken wrote:

Am i doing it wrong?

Squire's towers tend to have better DPS than Apprentice towers, and have no elemental issues

The only thing Apprentice's towers do much better is killing wyverns with a deadly strike tower

That's pretty much it: whenever we came down to what-towers-go-where I had a hard time justifying not using a Squire tower. Everything they have is better than App towers. Oh, and for wyverns: someone here gave me the best tip ever (makes ramparts insane a joke)...slice & dice towers in the wyvern path. It absolutely ruins them far, far more reliably than anything else. Give it a whirl (pun intended).

I felt bad for the App, tbh.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Lubony wrote:
    Woot just soloed 15 waves of insane survival got a medusa, felt nice. Had 100 hp left on my crystal.

That... is pretty impressive. I am 64, so I tried in on Deeper Wells at made it to 11 before I got obliterated. There was a point where a whole wave of those Voldo looking guys came out, jumped over my traps, and corpse camped me until the other peon mobs killed the crystal. It's an interesting experience to be killed the second you revive over and over and over again.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Deeper Wells has been noted for being disproportionately harder for survival than other maps, just due to the way the map's structured, the wave composition, and the like. For instance, in Magus, I don't think you ever get Mages.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    Upcoming Patch! (ETA 10/28/2011)

7.05 Patch Notes:
    * Added Halloween Spooktacular Event Content! Tons of New Costumes, New Mission, New Items & Weapons!
    * Raised Mana Bank limit to 30 million
    * Added VSync and One-Threaded-Renderer Options to the Configuration Tool
    * Fixed 50% of all reported crash types
    * Improved Apprentice Defense Attack Rate ramp further, now you gain major Attack Rate DPS benefits well into the 100's of Attack Rate points
    * Chat-box now won't auto-close when opened if bound to 'Enter'
    * Items that are locked in your Item Box now stay locked when equipped to your hero
    * Fixed minor potential exploits
    * Chat History ("Console") Key can now be set in the Configuration Tool
    * Animus projectile now is piercing, and has better damage ramp.
    * "Heal-Self" Spell now takes more time proportionate to what your Maximum Health is.
    * Made "Enrage Aura" have a longer lifespan, more effective, and cost 1 less DU
    * Reduced Bloodrage Speed benefit, and Increased Bloodrage Mana cost-over-time
    * Fixed Magic Blockades not properly stealing the Element of Archers or Wyverns
    * Push-To-Talk option no longer disables itself between games
    * Map Loot icons now appear during the Combat Phase, not just the Build Phase
    * Equipment rating calculation now factors in potential upgrade levels (i.e. lower-end equipment with sufficient upgrade levels is compared evenly with upgraded equipment)
    * Added 60 more Item Box spaces

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Hooray for Enrage Aura improvements. Hopefully it's a little less useless.

• Options
    Fuck yeah! magic barrier fix!

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Yay Halloween stuff! Boo, no Squire nerf.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    App and monk buffs is something, at least. Interested to see this seasonal map.

Still sad that XP is not shared equally.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

I'm okay with buffing classes to where they become as awesome as the Squire.

• Options
    Zoelef wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

I'm okay with buffing classes to where they become as awesome as the Squire.

I don't wanna play the game with everyone overpowered. I want some challenge.

• Options
    I wouldn't mind a tighter spread of App projectiles :P

Capture.jpg~original
This discussion has been closed.