As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scotty's Paints

ScottyScotty Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Artist's Corner
As some of you know, I sculpt, but I've always wanted to paint.
I decided to do a smaller one and then a larger. Started with a smaller canvas and did the Megaman one to get used to the brushes. Then went on to do one based on my favorite game Shadow of the Colossus.

Pixelart Megaman -12" canvas (spent a couple of evenings)
MM_Painting.jpg

Shadow of the Colossus -19.5"x11 (spent about a week during evenings)
299740_10150824172455018_727770017_20653380_806285404_n.jpg

Scotty on

• NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really like the SotC one.

NotASenator on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The SotC image is nice, though I think it misses the general color feel and atmosphere of the game if that is something you were trying to achieve. You probably could use more atmospheric perspective on the colossus to make him feel even large, and to create a more epic scale to the scene itself. Also I think those greens could be toned down a bit.

Would love to see some of your sculpture work.

rts on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Check his website.

bombardier on
    edited February 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    Check his website.

well, look at that, he is quite good.

NotASenator on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey thanks guys. I admit, that painting is a very different art form, but I already know that I'd enjoy learning more about it. I appreciate the feedback and crits, means a lot.:^:

cakemikz, what would you advise for toning down the greens?
    Maybe some browns to separate it up, or just give it a wash with a darker color?
    I agree that there could have been a bit better perspective for size, but, eh...maybe next time.:)
    I appreciate the crit.
    I'm teaching myself to paint, (like I did with sculpting) so any advice is great.

Scotty on
    edited February 2009
    **Edited, because I concur with what Metalbourne said below concerning the thread.**

Scotty on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    While you're an awesome sculptor, you should keep the thread's focus on the paintings if that's what you want crits on. I can almost guarantee you that the focus of the thread is going to change to your sculptures now that you've posted pictures of them (and they're awesome, by the way).

Metalbourne on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow! Just wow.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited February 2009
    I'm no painter, but the only crit I can give is that your sotc looks flat. There's no indication that his head is in front of his torso, or that his mane rests on his chest. A view that isn't head on to the colossus would better indicate his size and enormitude.

Metalbourne on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the SOTC one is pretty incredible.

LewieP on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a pretty damn good start, really. What medium is that, exactly? Anyway, I'd agree with cake about the green, though it's pretty hard to specify from the small version; there wouldn't be any chance of a detail like with the horseman, would there? Also, I would say that the landscape in the foreground could use a bit more variation, if for no other reason than to add a bit more sense of depth. Nevertheless, it's an awesome painting.

crawdaddio on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    Along with what's been said, there are issues with the form of the colossus. Given the pretty flat lighting you have going on, the ledge rings are going to imply the form of the colossus the strongest, but they are pretty bad in both perspective and just proper shape. The one on the right is lopsided and football shaped (even at an extreme low angle, circles do not come to a 'point') and the hips are just unevenly sized. It looks like any different limb is drawn to a different perspective.

With that, the lighting is pretty flat and the lightsource is ill-defined. Even if it's dusk, your lightsource is pretty defined. The sky, right? It kind of looks like you set one low and to the right?

The rocks, sky, background, foreground and dust are really well done, though. Some atmospheric depth to the colossus would have made the biggest difference overall I think.

bombardier on
    edited February 2009
    Great responses all of you, I appreciate it. :)

I'll be the first to admit that I have MUCH to learn, but I had fun on this one, and look forward to trying to improve with my next go.

I'd actually like to improve upon this one if possible, but I'm struggling with how to fix some of the issues brought up, like how to make the Colossi less "flat", especially in the stomach and arms when there really is no color even in the game in those spots. Tough thing that. If you look in the game, there's some pretty messed up leg angling going on there. Maybe I'll try going for more realistic, rather than game.

You'll notice that I didn't put my initials on it yet, figured there'd be much I could improve, and didn't want to sign it until I was sure I was done with it.
    Anyhow, thanks again, and any advice on methods is always appreciated.:^:

Scotty on
    edited February 2009
    Sculpt the colossus out of clay, then take a picture of it from the angle you want. Then use it as a reference for your next painting.

P.S. You got me sculpting again. My 4 year old package of sculpey is ROCK. HARD.

Metalbourne on
    edited February 2009
    Sculpt the colossus out of clay, then take a picture of it from the angle you want. Then use it as a reference for your next painting.

P.S. You got me sculpting again. My 4 year old package of sculpey is ROCK. HARD.

Hahaha, not a bad idea.

Awesome that you're sculpting again, hard sculpey is brutal, it can be softened but probably easier to just buy new stuff.
    Have you tried wax at all? No armature needed.

Scotty on
    edited February 2009
    Thats good to know, I'll look into it.

Metalbourne on
    edited February 2009
    Oh, and sorry I forgot to say the medium the paintings are done in, both are done in acrylics.
    I'd love to get into oils one day, but I figured acrylics are a good starting point.:)

Scotty on
    edited February 2009
    Do you normally work in wax instead of sculpy? I use super sculpey and I love it

NotASenator on
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I love sculpting in wax. Too bad all my wax sculptures were burned away in a blazing hot kiln and re-cast into pewter statues.

Which I also don't have anymore for some reason. Ugh.

Betelgeuse on
    edited February 2009
    See? Sculpting thread. Mostly it was my fault. Sorry.

So, with wax can you use a sort of "give and take" method of sculpting or is it all subtractive? Because I make a lot of mistakes.

Metalbourne on
    edited February 2009
    See? Sculpting thread. Mostly it was my fault. Sorry.

So, with wax can you use a sort of "give and take" method of sculpting or is it all subtractive? Because I make a lot of mistakes.

Give and take, you heat up what you are using so that it's pliable, make your shapes, and then let it cool. (pretty much an armature right there really) I like it because you can hold onto your sculpt without fears of ruining what you've already done on it. (like with sculpey) Then start adding here and there with more softened wax, heat specific areas with an alchohol torch or even a lighter. (which I use)

Anyhow, if you get into wax, feel free to ask if you need any help.

Back to painting, I think I'll make this thread my update thread too for all paintings I do from here on out.

Scotty on
    edited February 2009
    Scotty, what kind of wax do you use for sculpting? I always used white beeswax, which I liked working with. The problem is that it had a tendency to get discolored (black and grey kind of sooty areas) when I applied flame to it, which was okay because I was just going to burn the whole sculpture away in a kiln anyway, but it doesn't look good for a finished product obviously. I dunno if it mattered that I used a little oil lamp for it. Maybe using my torch would have been better. Do you use a different kind of wax, or a different color? And do you treat it with anything when it's finished?

Betelgeuse on
    edited February 2009
    I used Castilene, and now I'm moving onto the stuff this guy makes.

http://www.willowproducts.com/index.php

His waxes are great, and he has different types for whatever you need. Busy guy though, sometimes it can take a bit to get an order filled. They come in gray, which really is the best color for sculpting because it shows detail well.

Scotty on
    edited February 2009
    I tried to start a sculpting thread, but my cel phone has a hard time taking a good picture of a white sculpey sculpture up close.

Betel, it's probably carbon from the oil lamp that's sticking in your sculptures.

Metalbourne on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I figured the stupid old-timeyness of the oil lamp might have been the culprit.

Betelgeuse on
    edited February 2009
    damn those hydrocarbons

Metalbourne on
    edited January 2012
    Redid the face so it's more 3d dimensional, redid the arm parts and a couple other little aspects too.
    I like it more now, it's not perfect, but better I think.
    The tones look a bit different in the photo than in real life due to the flash. Not a lot mind you just lost some of the cloudy dust around it's thighs and legs. Hard to photograph paintings, who knew?
    I have 2 new blank canvasses just begging to be painted on, so I'm moving on from this now. (Maybe one day return to it when I've learned more, we'll see)

Thanks again for the feedback, this is fun.

Scotty on
    edited February 2009
    I was watching a show the other evening called Hubble's Canvas, which was basically just photos of distant galaxies taken with the Hubble Telescope. There's not much cooler looking than a galaxy, so I thought I'd try painting a spiral galaxy for fun, and here's the result.

Spent about a day on it, off and on.
    Painted in acrylics.

Galaxy_Painting.jpg

Scotty on
    edited February 2009
    Any kind of space or science art gets a big thumbs up from me :^:

Betelgeuse on
    edited February 2009
    Hey thanks, I feel the same way.:^:

Scotty on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh dang, that's beautiful! Looks like something you'd see at HubbleSite or APOD

Usagi on
    edited February 2009
    Thanks, that's what I was shooting for.
    I'm thinking different type of galaxy is in order now...maybe a Starburst, or a Dwarf galaxy?
    I could really get into this.:)

Scotty on
    edited February 2009
    Do colliding galaxies!

Betelgeuse on
    edited February 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    I was watching a show the other evening called Hubble's Canvas, which was basically just photos of distant galaxies taken with the Hubble Telescope. There's not much cooler looking than a galaxy, so I thought I'd try painting a spiral galaxy for fun, and here's the result.

Spent about a day on it, off and on.
    Painted in acrylics.

Galaxy_Painting.jpg

Two specific things to notice, first how the stars are in clusters and not uniformly spread out, that is fantastic, and I like how it looses a lot of it's definition and gets cloudy towards the middle, where all of the dust and material being pulled in by the supermassive black hole and unstable stars makes it really hard to get any sort of clear picture in the visible spectrum.

You can look through https://www.galaxyzoo.org/ for some inspiration for new galaxies to paint.
    I really love this.

NotASenator on
    edited February 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    Thanks, that's what I was shooting for.
    I'm thinking different type of galaxy is in order now...maybe a Starburst, or a Dwarf galaxy?
    I could really get into this.:)

Nebulas!

Metalbourne on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't help wondering if this sort of subjec matter might be particularly well-suited to glazes in oil. Just throwing that out there.

crawdaddio on
    edited March 2009
    Hey thanks for the positive responses, and advice guys.:)
    I'm really starting to like painting. I'm not gonna quit sculpting or anything obviously, but painting is a really great diversion.

It sucks a bit with paintings when it comes to posting photos online, because you never know if people are seeing it the same as it actually is in person. I guess that's why artists do gallery showing huh?

I'd like to try oils for sure...just getting used to stuff first with acrylics.

Scotty on
    edited March 2009
    Could you make a sculpture of a galaxy?

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2009
    The only way I would do that, is if I could get it cast in transparent resin, and light it with a color LED.
    Because, it would be awesome. :)

Scotty on
    edited October 2011
    Been a LOOONG time since I've been around, wife left me for a man 15 years older just over a year ago, and it really tore out my heart. I got over it though, and started to paint a little again. :)

Here's a Nebula I just tried, I think it came out pretty good, but all crits are welcome!
    33766810150824172340018.jpg

Scotty on