As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fun] Nintendo needs your IP

DarmaniDarmani Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
In light of absorbing a lot of gaming journalist in japan podcast and articles I’m starting to get a viewpoint on Nintendo’s issues for the future. See effectively the gaming generation of Japan has switched favoring the handheld, even actual gaming companies expect this as part of growing up and proper behavior. Due to long work hours and commutes, generational housing arrangements, and general layout the average 20-40 year old isn’t even at home to play his console, when he’s entered society proper gaming at least as Americans can see it is to be put away. Nothing wrong with a PSP or DS on the bus or train but even if you are home grandpa likely has the TV. This more than anything is informing Nintendo’s strategy for future action.
Moreover a lot of the “Japanese” or “traditional Nintendo” franchises are not big in Japan but abroad. Now Nintendo isn’t abandoning the Western market but they are more than likely focused on seeing gaming and how to approach it from the angle to secure Japan, especially as between things like Love Plus and even other franchises like Monster Hunter that has no Western/US appeal or even presence are securing them income and others…aren’t (Zelda, not that big in Japan).
Overall Nintendo is fighting off the iOS explosion, the Western gaming explosion (let’s just say Western game developers are having more presence and success with the Western market), and with the horrible performance of the 3DS and still slow adoption rate even in Japan of the PS3 pushing the WiiU home-console needs to pull some interesting moves or else Nintendo may actually fall apart in just a dozen plus months if they don’t court some good sales or confidence. Mainly there is a sense of apprehension at the Nintendo product quality due to the Wii’s reputation and the 3DS performance, the feeling of abandonment and lack of success with their software, and general assumption of fickleness of the wider family audience the Wii brought in that will leave them for Kinect or at least not follow them to the WiiU. Almost EVERY gaming news or speculator assumes this will be so, especially with the WiiU’s proposed price point being more expensive than Elite 360 and the 3DS’s critical failure (unless a Christmas miracle happens it looks like the 3DS might be Nintendo sounding the first bell of their demise if not for the costs of itself then loss of street credit and confidence in their name and products). Nintedo’s failure is obvious and pre-eminent, and their need to change or being in a desperate position has lot of people circling.

There have been proposed solutions.
1) Change of corporate culture and attitude. Those in the know I beg you take it away here. But it seems Nintendo can’t court third party developers and are decried far and wide as arrogant in a way they never engenders them the love and companionship of a company who will GLADLY void exclusivity or just plain not pursue a relationship based on both treatment and the demands and schemes to exploit contractors and developers. This is a major thing, a bad coporate culture sucks especially on products that need so much manpower, expertise, oversight and participation
2) Online support and capabilities. Rumors of change but much as I love them I know not to ease up on RUMORS or promises of increased service, why give the cow if they’ll pay for the promise of milk with no actual delivery.
3) NEW and UPDATED IP or attitude to gaming, this is primarily consumer directed as face/attitude. Now this is of mixed importance. The key to remember is that we are enthusiasts but now the majority of game culture drive the sales of Angry Birds which is likely only going to outsell Minesweeper for sheer presence. Its like the App Store version of Portal, great distinct and iconic pageantry, physics and simple but challenging gameplay. Or Modern Warfare, or Super Mario Brothers Wii. But its believed a slow or worse no adoption rate is coming from the new casual gamers who are seen as surge from a fad who won’t upgrade to a Wii U as it can’t compete with PC and will only be a tad more potent than a PS3 and likely offer less multi-function (the new Xbox likely won’t play Blue Ray which means it won’t play HD which.. anyways) while as expensive. So Nintendo needs a hook, a draw, and means new IP to set and create a mood for the console, how and what it will be used for and a deep appeal to the modern and more diverse gamer without feeling they are.. well going around with offbrand knockoffs of “the real thing/
a. This means something to handle Nintendo’s family/kiddie –to-the-point-of-offputting-for-mainstream-adult-gamers-with-disposable-income image
b. At least one likely more with no primary colors
c. A modern IP with non-80s origins but lots of refinement and gameplay creation
d. Without gimmick integration.

I really want to focus on the IP one. Its fun.

So Iwata has his secretary who is also like master IP negotiator and a wing of the marketing department dedicated to a handpicked studio of your choosing they can also be a hot asian female if you are of that persuasion, but that is not necessary.
Now Nintendo wants you to be creative, unique (or create some sort of brand identity and carve niche into the audience), and profitable (so general breakdown of how and what you’d sell would be neat).

What’s baffling me, aside from the risks of a first time property is the me-tooing backfiring on Nintendo. The people dissing them for not having the right brown man shooters with great online play support, AI, controls, and so on just don’t seem like the folks that if Nintendo comes out with Battlefield 4 will doing a 180 and buy the Wii U for yet another brown military shooter, that’s assuming there isn’t a shooter backlash or glut in general. The I already got a 360 issue.
The other is what could be made and how can Nintendo make it so it draws people. I mean Red Steel seemed like sure fire investment, it was on the heels of the Kill Bill craze, had noted developer with strong team and was integrating a basic playstyle only without the same setting and some melee combat interludes and a neat little dark underworld story/action movie more thriller elements. But the controls made people hate it. And though Red Steel 2 fixed a lot of that its kind of hasn’t rehabbed the Wii’s image.
What New IP inspired by current trends can Nintendo make? OR what existing IP needs more consideration for modernization? Who isn’t served and how would you gain them, and how would you profit from them? How many IPs do we make, do we make a new imprint, akin to DC and Vertigo or Viz or the Viz Signature line and other similar divisions to avoid association backfire. Will these be the traditional lockdown proprietary mascots or move to more universal multiplatform stuff to batten down for the coming of the Cloud or at least the foreseen death of the console as this major stream of investment.
Who are missing an IP? The shooter fen who made Modern Warfare a virtual cultural phenomenon? We can agree the minigame collections aren’t.. well if not bad than at least not underserved. If we go after the identified group how, are they part of the Nintendo base how will we say by the Wii U for it.
What does the new IP do for the console? What is its Genre? Who, if anyone, is its star? What’s the general rating and cotent?

Darmani on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I propose an long 80 our JRPG about killing god.

Called Xenoblade.

Released in the US.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Nintendo's Christmas miracle is going to happen.

Only its not a miracle, its called new Mario+new Mario Kart.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    There's also this little game called Monster Hunter that will probably sell a few units.

• Options
    DarmaniDarmani Registered User regular
    This assumes if not Doom there is a cliff, you're at the wheel how you're steering; or that last play at the bottom of the fourth, etc.

Besides what doesn't Monster Hunter mean for the Western/US gamer?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really don't what to say if you seriously are under the belief that Nintendo is doomed and needs a new IP as some panacea.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don't think Nintendo is doomed. But it sure as hell could use another second-party development house that could grab attention like Rare and Retro have. There have been periods were Nintendo has succeeded at presenting a version of itself that was blood-and-guts bold and could present its own flavor of the kind of contemporary action games that tend to be the gaming world's idea of its internal mainstream audience. Not to replace its iconic franchises or family image, but to give the alternative, still with the quality and craftsmanship that Nintendo is known for.

Trouble is, Nintendo is only going to succeed the way it wants to. A lot of people have their own ideas on how to do that and get upset that Nintendo isn't interested in fighting these other fights.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Nintendo kind of needs to stop being a generation late in what's popular in gaming. Sure, the Wii sold a lot but the market that helped it the most (casual gamers) isn't one to buy new things very often.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Sure Nintendo created three 30 million selling games this gen but they sure are in trouble now.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Nintendo will never be in trouble because Nintendo doesn't just do video games. Sure, they could do BETTER, but who couldn't?

They really need to embrace online gaming and fast, though.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Oh, and Nintendo aint goin' anywhere.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Nintendo should get their hands on the Heretic franchise. That'll save 'em.

• Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    tl;dr

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Uh I'm Pretty sure nintendo isn't in the kind of trouble you think it is OP

They mangled the 3DS laucnh FOR third parties and the morons didn't release anything.

I get it's fashionable to jump on Nintendo's problems lie a vulture but yeesh.
    I don't think Nintendo is doomed. But it sure as hell could use another second-party development house that could grab attention like Rare and Retro have. There have been periods were Nintendo has succeeded at presenting a version of itself that was blood-and-guts bold and could present its own flavor of the kind of contemporary action games that tend to be the gaming world's idea of its internal mainstream audience. Not to replace its iconic franchises or family image, but to give the alternative, still with the quality and craftsmanship that Nintendo is known for.

Trouble is, Nintendo is only going to succeed the way it wants to. A lot of people have their own ideas on how to do that and get upset that Nintendo isn't interested in fighting these other fights.

They have two studios with the Biggest names in RPGdom attached . NOA is seriously full of shit right now is the problem. If anything they need to clean house over here.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Uh I'm Pretty sure nintendo isn't in the kind of trouble you think it is OP

They mangled the 3DS laucnh FOR third parties and the morons didn't release anything.

I get it's fashionable to jump on Nintendo's problems lie a vulture but yeesh.

They have two studios with the Biggest names in RPGdom attached . NOA is seriously full of shit right now is the problem. If anything they need to clean house over here.

Which studios?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hang Reggie.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Probably talking about Monolift Soft (which is a subsidiary of Nintendo) and Mistwalker (which isn't).

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote:
    Probably talking about Monolift Soft (which is a subsidiary of Nintendo) and Mistwalker (which isn't).

He can't be, they're minor studios.
    The biggest Japanese RPG studio right now is probably Namco.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is really isn't going to go anywhere, and we have the industry thread for this kind of thing.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.