As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me clean this knife.

SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey. Quite a while ago, I got a box of knives from my dad. Among them is this number:

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

It's a neat knife, but I think I'd prefer to have it cleaned. Is there anything special I should consider when I go about about cleaning it? It's looking kinda rough, and honestly, I'm not very knowledgeable on the cleaning of knives anyway.

userbar.jpg
desura_Userbar.png
Seeks on

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Is it my imagination, or is the metal pitted near the tip?

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    If it is a rare, or an antique knife, I wouldn't suggest cleaning it.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I second RedDawn. Put a light coat of oil on the blade to prevent rust, and maybe get it dated if possible.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    It could be an F-S (Fairbairn Sykes) Fighting Knife. Primarily used in WWII by british commandos. I can't be 100% sure because I dont know how long the blade/handle is and the total length or any markings it might have from your pictures. If thats the case you got a piece of WWII history in your hands there.

If thats the case get it dated.

This might help you. http://www.google.com/search?q=fairbairn+sykes+knife&hl=en&biw=1016&bih=563&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=dgWrTv-0EsGosQKFko2HDw&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQsAQ

Draygo on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I recommend posting some pictures and specifics (measurements, etc.) on a forum dedicated to knife collecting/antiques.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I used to lurk Sword Forum International many, many moons ago, and the people there were top quality collectors. You might have some luck there.

• Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    Hmm. Looks like you might be right, Draygo. I ended up running across this site pretty quick:

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/p3/fs_knife_p3.htm

And that one at the top of the page looks almost exactly like mine. I can't find a number anywhere on the grip, but it is stamped 'ENGLAND' on the bottom of the crossguard, and it does have some other symbol on it as well.

Pics:
    IMG_3071_cropped.jpg
    IMG_3073_cropped.jpg

Alright, well I guess I shouldn't screw around with this too much, then. Thanks for the help, guys.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Maybe use some Flitz metal polish to clean the blade then give it a light coating of 3 in 1 oil.

Really the worst thing people can do to old or antique items is try to "restore" them themselves. They often do more damage than good.

After cleaning the blade though you might want to consider taking it to either the Spyderco Sharpmaker or a Japanese Waterstone to sharpen it up if its lost its edge. Slow controlled, yet consistant strokes will get you a shaving edge on the Sharpmaker.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    thats first marking.....
    maybe that knife has tasted the blood of 4 men.....

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Do not clean it. Don't do anything to an antique yourself.

Erik
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Ego wrote:

I would say that means don't do anything at all, unless you're bringing it to someone trained to deal with antiques; like someone at a museum. This is assuming you want to keep it as-is, as a show piece and not use it.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ego wrote:
    If watching several seasons of Pawn Stars has taught me anything, it's that nothing devalues an antique like a well-intentioned amateur with a wire brush and too much time on his hands.
    So, enough repeating what everyone else in the thread has said.

That's an awesome looking knife. I unfortunately don't have anything else to add except that I'm fairly jealous.

• Options
    AltaliciousAltalicious Registered User regular
    Yep, it's a late issue F-S commando dagger. They are common around Europe still, so you don't have a priceless piece of history on your hands, but they're a nice knife all the same. It's designed to be a stabbing blade rather than a cutting one, so the edge isn't meant to be that sharp in the first place (though the tip is).

Have a metalworker or antique dealer who deals with weapons have a look at it if you want some advice on what to do with it.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Here's my overall suggestions, based on what others have said:

-Consult with an antique dealer/metalworker/historian. Make sure you're dealing with something that is, in fact, genuine. If it's fake, it doesn't really matter what you do with it, so make sure it's worth spending the money on it that being careful with something takes.

-If it's genuine, I'd see if it can be cleaned, professionally, without significantly diminishing the value of it. If what you have really is a piece of history, it's best to try to keep it in as good a condition as possible.

-Don't sell it unless you really just don't want it, and even then see if you have a friend or family member to whom you can gift it. Preferably store it somewhere, either in a closet or someplace similar. It may not have a lot of value now, but, and especially if it has potential as a family heirloom, if kept in good condition for the next half century or so, it could become very valuable, either financially or sentimentally.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Seeks wrote:
    Hmm. Looks like you might be right, Draygo. I ended up running across this site pretty quick:
    No problem!