As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kick[chat]

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Non-Americans of [chat]:

When you think of American accents, what comes to mind? The general American accent that most people have, or the thick Southern accent of a stereotypical redneck American? Having an argument with my sister.

Well seeing as we generally think our generic accent matches your generic accent, when thinking about American accents, the ones that come to mind are Southern, New Yorker, Bostonian, etc. Because the generic accent doesn't stand out as an accent to a lot of Canadians. It just sounds like how we talk too, which is the norm.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • LindenLinden Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    Q: I stay in a big city and earn twice the income as someone in a rural area. However, everything I buy also costs twice as much as my rural counterpart's. In economic terms, am I earning the same real income as my rural counterpart?

A: NO. NO NO NO NO. Good lord how many times has this issue come up in D&D. You are earning twice as much and you are consuming twice as much as your rural fellow. It is because you are living in a place where it is more difficult, in real terms, to get stuff to you - labor costs, rent, etc. Is this so hard to grasp?

I come through now and again (in this case because I am sick to death of search techniques), and this made me smile. Thanks, ronya. Have a potato.

Wash wrote:
    Snow is in all the wrong places, it seems

We havent had a nice fall we want to take the little one out for pictures but its been too cold and wet, the snow can stay away till we got our pictures.

It's still early, but everywhere else seems to get snow, when's it gonna be our turn.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Non-Americans of [chat]:

When you think of American accents, what comes to mind? The general American accent that most people have, or the thick Southern accent of a stereotypical redneck American? Having an argument with my sister.

I'm pretty sure they think of the semi-southern soothing voice of Matthew Mcconaughey

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    hell, I could stay in this very state and if I moved accross the mountains all I would have to pay in rent would be a dead opossum and a trifle of meth.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • LindenLinden Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything out of the ordinary there, and yet there are two posts. Interesting.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Linden wrote:
    Okay, I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything out of the ordinary there, and yet there are two posts. Interesting.

Don't worry about it. The board software now occasionally duplicates the last couple of posts of the previous page on the next page. Whether this is deliberate is unknown.

Also, thanks for the potato...

aRkpc.gif
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Wash wrote:
    Snow is in all the wrong places, it seems

We havent had a nice fall we want to take the little one out for pictures but its been too cold and wet, the snow can stay away till we got our pictures.

It's still early, but everywhere else seems to get snow, when's it gonna be our turn.

Yea I agree, don't get me wrong all winter ill be posting pictures cause it will be Tristan's first winter where he can really do stuff. were going to have a blast.

Just there has been no good fall weather and its such a nice time for pictures.

all twelve smegging gigs downloaded and installing

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Non-Americans of [chat]:

Well seeing as we generally think our generic accent matches your generic accent, when thinking about American accents, the ones that come to mind are Southern, New Yorker, Bostonian, etc. Because the generic accent doesn't stand out as an accent to a lot of Canadians. It just sounds like how we talk too, which is the norm.

yeah, but without all the socialized medicine speech therapy

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Hm. Looks like living in NYC is only about +50% living in Seattle. The way people were going off about how expensive it is I'd expect it to be at least +100%.

that's because they were comparing it to the hideous wasteland which lies south of the mason-dixon.

This makes me chuckle.

Because comparing Seattle to NYC living expenses is like comparing apples to apples of a slightly different color.

Then again I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Cost of living here is so ridiculously cheap. Seriously I can get a two bedroom apartment, and a good one, for less then $500 a month.

I pay $1400 for a shitty 800 sq ft apartment in an outer borough, but apparently that's some sort of "luxury"

oh god

Dee, if you aren't getting a hug right now, you should be

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I pay $1400 for a shitty 800 sq ft apartment in an outer borough, but apparently that's some sort of "luxury"

You have access to New York.

I gave up a cushy job with great pay to get to Seattle, because simply having access to Seattle is more important to me than pay I'm missing out on. If the benefits of having access to NYC aren't enough, you should start job hunting somewhere else.

[chat] i want you to know something

it's snowing outside and that's great

but on top of that, you are some good fuckin people. you have given me something to be entertained by, to commiserate with, and to be enlightened by. you ought all feel good about yourselves (and I study ethics, so am qualified to give statements with oughts in them). be good [chat] and goodnight

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    so i just went with a girl while she broke into her now ex bfs to get her stuff back. took my best friend and her best friend. HALLOWEEN.

stop right there criminal scum

aRkpc.gif
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    this is not out of the ordinary for me.

Oblivion has dogs. I bet there's a mod that adds cats.

aRkpc.gif
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    yeah, but without all the socialized medicine speech therapy

The reason Americans pronounce the vowels in "about" to rhyme with "cow" is actually a jaw disease that can be fixed with good old free Canadian medicine.

Solomaxwell6 on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    i'd rather commute

also ronya if Skyrim doesn't have that voice actor for the guards I will be so upset

tyrannus on
    who wants to live in new york.

I do.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Incenjucar wrote:

You have access to New York.

I gave up a cushy job with great pay to get to Seattle, because simply having access to Seattle is more important to me than pay I'm missing out on. If the benefits of having access to NYC aren't enough, you should start job hunting somewhere else.

You get what you pay for.

NYC is one of the great cities of the world. I love and am biased towards Boston, but NYC's only peers on a world stage are London and Tokyo. Of course its going to be more expensive there.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    What exactly are you missing out on not living in New York? it's not like you're going to Broadway every day. Just take a vacation.

I guess maybe saying "I live in the biggest city on the earth" is a thing, but that's about it. You are very small and it is very big.

edited October 2011
    I guess maybe saying "I live in the biggest city on the earth" is a thing, but that's about it. You are very small and it is very big.

New York City is not the biggest city on the earth. Tokyo is.

Edit: Except for one measure, city proper, but then Shanghai takes the cake, and New York is down at #19, just below Dongguan.

Solomaxwell6 on
    Yeah, whatever, it's New York. Japan is p dead.

It's expensive living in some parts of Toronto. I live in a 3 bedroom in one of the dirtier parts of the outer city in a building owned by a scum landlord and it's around $1200 a month.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    edited October 2011
    And by biggest I meant most relevant.

Still don't wanna live there!

OnTheLastCastle on
    Wash wrote:
    It's expensive living in some parts of Toronto. I live in a 3 bedroom in one of the dirtier parts of the outer city in a building owned by a scum landlord and it's around $1200 a month.

>:O

Parking is included.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    Peep Show is so incredibly awkward I'm having trouble watching it

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    I'm living in denver!

most spread out metropolis ever

• JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Well, I don't live in a status relevant town. Just Tulsa, Ok. I would prefer not to live in Little Mexico, but the mortgage is fairly cheap to our incomes at 850 a month for a 1700 sq ft house.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
    Yeah, whatever, it's New York. Japan is p dead.

it's not even the biggest city in North America (that would be Mexico City)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Sup Greeper

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    Q: I stay in a big city and earn twice the income as someone in a rural area. However, everything I buy also costs twice as much as my rural counterpart's. In economic terms, am I earning the same real income as my rural counterpart?

A: NO. NO NO NO NO. Good lord how many times has this issue come up in D&D. You are earning twice as much and you are consuming twice as much as your rural fellow. It is because you are living in a place where it is more difficult, in real terms, to get stuff to you - labor costs, rent, etc. Is this so hard to grasp?

I wanted to beat people with tyrannus until the knowledge finally bled through.

• Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    A lot of those costs seem to be hidden, through write-offs like the mileage exemption (if I understand this correctly). Stuff really shouldnt be price competitive with local stuff but is anyway through subsidization.

At the fancy pants Whole Foods, you can buy a fresh ass apple that is from New Zealand. Thats wack. Its a pretty normal apple except that an inordinate amount of jet fuel was expended to get it to you.

Also, I enrolled in college! It was easy, too. Now I just need transcripts to arrive so I can figure out what it is I need to take.

I'm always there.

Anybody else at the party right now

you know

the no pants party

for people who aren't wearing pants

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.