As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xbox 360 , games you can't live with out ?

DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok, my roomate and hise wife just picked up an Xbox 360 couple controlers, guitar hero 2, tetris, dead rising. So my question i ask you , what games for the xbox 360 do you suggest ? besides the above mentioned.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Draeven on

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gears will supply you with many hours of co-op fun, and a handful of hours of multiplayer fun (atleast in my experience)

If you enjoy car racing sims Forza 2 is a must.

That's all I can firmly recomend beyond any shadow of a doubt. The rest gets rather subjective rather quickly.

Inquisitor on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Viva Pinata, Gears of War, and Crackdown are all good, as is Rainbow Six: Vegas.

yalborap on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    have heard good things about gears of war for sure, any word on that "mech" game ? i heard it can be very very subjective.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gears

I still play that game online with Arcadians

For a mech game... I'd suggest Lost Planet. It isn't a mech game persay, but you use them quite a bit

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Must haves:

Gears
    Oblivion
    Rainbow Six
    Crackdown is a lot of sandboxy fun
    Shadowrun is a blast and has a much friendlier community than Gears
    Guitar Hero II

I personally am loving Tenchu Z, however a lot of people would disagree with me.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Zeeb!Zeeb! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Geometry Wars

Zeeb! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Condemned: Criminal Origins
    Crackdown
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    Gears of War
    Shadowrun

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I felt Crackdown got old quickly.. It also doesn't have much challenge, unless you include the (very well done) achievements. A good game, but I don't think I'd pay full price for it.

Oblivion is a great, time consuming game. Definitely something I'd recommend.

Mr Peepers on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mr Peepers wrote: »
    I felt Crackdown got old quickly.. It also doesn't have much challenge, unless you include the (very well done) achievements. A good game, but I don't think I'd pay full price for it.

Oblivion is a great, time consuming game. Definitely something I'd recommend.

Well, the thing about Crackdown is it doesn't have much in the way of....Made fun. Oblivion has a lot of 'made fun'. Caves to explore, quests to do, etc. Crackdown is more like a box of action figures and toy cars. There's not a lot you can do without just plain fucking around, which is the whole concept of the game.

yalborap on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    By sheer value and addictiveness, games that you'll keep going back to?

Geometry Wars, Crackdown, and Project Gotham Racing 3, by far are the two most noteworthy, and I think almost everyone will agree on this.

For games that you just have to "have" to credibly call yourself an Xbox360 owner, the list more or less is, in order:

Gears of War
    Dead Rising
    Rainbow Six: Vegas
    Forza Motorsport 2

Games that I can't personally vouch for because I don't own them, but are also well recommended, and in fact really belong in the above category:

Guitar Hero 2
    Oblivion
    Ghost Recon: Advance Warfighter
    Viva Pinata
    Castlevania (XBLA)
    Dead or Alive 4
    Oblivion

Recoil42 on
  • SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zeeb! wrote: »
    Geometry Wars

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'll just echo a lot of people here

Geometry Wars.
    Rainbow Six.
    Alien Hominid (i still have yet to play this co-op, but its pretty fun none the less)
    TMNT 1989 arcade is a blast.

I really enjoyed Tomb Raider: Legend, but i know that not everybody did. (download the demo)

you already have guitar hero, so thats taken care of.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "Games i can't live with out" , Gears of War, Rainbow Six:Vegas,Oblivion,Forza 2.

Also if you're intertested in picking up original xbox titles for it heres a list of what's currently compatible.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    psychonauts.

i know, its regular xbox and we should keep this to 360 games... but seriously, i'm only doing you a favor.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Guitar Hero 2
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    Top Spin 2
    Crackdown
    Dead Rising

I'm betting that Harry Potter 5 will be awesome too, if you're at all into that.

EDIT: How the fuck did I forget Dead Rising?

UnbreakableVow on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    R6V
    Dead Rising
    Forza 2
    Gears
    Guitar Hero 2

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah played through and beat tomb raider legend on gametap, was a good game and enjoyed quite a bit of the game play and story for sure. and i will definatly have to get shadowrun and see how i do. I'm coming from a pc background so I dont do so well with the aming using the control sticks.

Draeven on

• MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Whatever sport game who's sport is currently still on TV.

Until the new one comes out.

Besides that, Guitar Hero 2.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    gears is a really....really boring game.

buy viva pinata and rainbow 6

Guek on
    edited June 2007
    Guek wrote: »

buy viva pinata

That didn't make any sense.

UnbreakableVow on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Geometry Wars
    Small Arms
    Castlevaina SoTN
    Boom boom rocket
    Lumines
    Geometry Wars
    Geometry Wars
    Geometry Wars
    Geometry Wars
    Geometry Wars
    Geometry Wars
    Geometry Wars
    Geometry Wars
    Geometry WarsGeometry WarsGeometry WarsGeometry WarsGeometry WarsGeometry Wars

edit. It should be said the only actual games I have ever owned were ghost recon, oblivion, and dead rising. Good games, but still, GEOMETRY WARS.

projectmayhem on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Guek wrote: »

buy viva pinata and rainbow 6

I like the cut of yer gib.

Some pretty good cheap games for a change of pace.

DOA 4
    Viva Pinata
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Gun
    GRAW

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited June 2007
    I am not going to say that your own ideas of what makes a good/fun game are wrong. That being said:

Perfect Dark Zero is shit. Not the shit like chips ahoy the chewy kind. Just plain, shit, like drinking placenta while listening to nickleback.

Also, stay the hell away from spider-man 3.

projectmayhem on
    edited June 2007
    I am not going to say that your own ideas of what makes a good/fun game are wrong. That being said:

Perfect Dark Zero is shit. Not the shit like chips ahoy the chewy kind. Just plain, shit, like drinking placenta while listening to nickleback.

Opinions are opinions after all. I base my PD0 suggestion on the fact that I've seen it for $10 new and it has Goldeneye Maps.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited June 2007

Opinions are opinions after all. I base my PD0 suggestion on the fact that I've seen it for $10 new and it has Goldeneye Maps.

I was unaware of this goldeneye business. It's shit with a road made of soild gold, just stay on the gold road and you will be fine (buy it).

Still, what ever you do, don't even think about buying spider-man 3.

projectmayhem on
    edited June 2007
    Oh, not a great game by any means, but King Kong for 360 is $8.97 at Sears.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    GoW
    Guitar Hero 2
    GRAW 1 & 2
    Forza 2
    Project Gotham Racing 3

Are *my* must haves. There are still lots of other sweet games though, but those six are the one's I felt compelled to buy. Oblivion, Rainbow6: Vegas, Call of Duty 2, and FEAR would also be worth considering above anything else.

Edit: Oh and also Viva Pinata, if you can stomach tending to technicolor creatures that go by names like "Chewnicorn." It's a pretty sweet game.

Ant000 on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Whatever you buy, put something aside for Bioshock.

Darlan on
    edited June 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    Whatever you buy, put something aside for Mass Effect.

projectmayhem on
    edited June 2007

Man, tell me how the future is. The near future, that is.

(Just fucking around, its a pretty safe bet to be good.)

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited June 2007
    BioShock and Mass Effect. They're right, they're pretty guaranteed not to suck.

UnbreakableVow on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Man, tell me how the future is. The near future, that is.
    There's a shortage of chairs. And Wiis, of course.

Darlan on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oblivion, and make sure to get the expansion fron Live Marketplace. :)

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gears is obvious, Dead Rising will supply you with many hours of entertainment as well. Rainbow six is great if youre into that. DOA4 is a great game to break out with more than 1 friend around. Forza will impress you with its perfect blend of arcade racer and hyper real racer, you can adjust to taste. Those are the fairly "must have" games I can think of, others are optional.

For Live, Geometry wars is super sweet, and Prince of Persia Classic is also a must have in my mind (it is AMAZING).

However for me, most of the really really must have games look to be coming up, so if he has a tight budget, let him know about (and see trailers for) Bioshock, Mass Effect, Project:Sylpheed(only 40 bucks, and a pretty sweet space combat sim if you set it up right, demo is up on Live now), and of course coming much later the 2 games people are sure to go ape for, Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed.

lazerbeard on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rasa pointed out Condemned: Criminal Origins and I would like to agree.

Also, it is a bit late, but the Burger King Games (Mostly Big Bumpin') are hilariously awesome with 4 players.

You could probably find them on Ebay for cheap.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Shadowrun!

I am a grouchy, tired old man and played from 11PM last nite till 4:30 in the morning. And while I have GH2, GOW, PDZ, etc. They are all collecting dust. I am dreaming Shadowrun strategies. Go over to the Shadowrun thread, get some of the team players added to your list, run through the tutorials, and join up.

Shadowrun is probably the best example of a fun strategy based team game I can remember. I literally quit playing Halo3 beta as soon as I got the retail version. Yes it is great that you have a sky with cloud cover and atmospheric effects and all, but I prefer shadowrun.

Kerbob97 on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Forza 2!

variant on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

When I first played the PDZ demo I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I couldn't hit anything but I just figured I needed practice. Then I come to find out that the controls were messed up and the not hitting anything was the gameplay. Shadowrun is at least one letter grade better.

FreddyD on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Earth Defense Force: 2017

....and that's about it

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Earth Defense Force: 2017

....and that's about it
    How replayable is that game? It is a must-play for everyone but I was wondering if it was a rent or a buy.

FreddyD on