As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Remember Classic PC Games - Not Ready Reading Drive A; Abort, Retry, Fail?

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Dark Legions was amazing, it came out about the same time as Warcraft but didn't do as well despite receiving some awards because it was overshadowed. Honestly liked it better though and I think it's a shame it didn't get the sales it deserved.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Aah, fond memories.

My dad used to sometimes take us to work with him. Now, we didn't have a PC at home when I was little, and when we did, it was an old, decommissioned work computer. So going to work was a treat because, apart from seeing all the animals, we got to use the brand new shiny PCs my dad had bought.

And while he'd be doing the boring stuff we couldn't sit in on (i.e. consulting with clients), we'd get to play that gorilla banana game and Duke Nukem and a lot of cheap Apogee knock-offs.

There was also this set of edutainment games that I believe he got free with something that I have NEVER been able to find the name of.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I still play that game with my brothers and sister when they come over. We always have so much trouble playing a small-scale game, preferring to give us both inordinate amounts of money so we can put all our clever traps down and load our creatures up with rings

You'll never guess who has MY orb! He's a shapeshifter! And he's surrounded by void traps! Good luck now, sucka!

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Hahaha I loved doing that. Man I really should load that up again and play it, really deserves to be dusted off, particularly compared to some of the dreck I've played instead.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The new X-com game looks cool. It's a shame it's not like the old games, but those types of games don't sell anymore, unfortunately.

They should've just made the game without the X-Com name, then people would probably be looking forward to it more.

Copying a frail creature with a shapeshifter was comedic gold for me.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    nWlUK.jpg

you have no idea how much of my life was spent playing this game

That's my issue with it, it's not really going to be X-com, drop the name make it a good fps and that's fine. Cash in on the nostalgia of the name and tarnish it's legacy, yeah, not so cool with that.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Man, I really wish I hadn't gotten rid of a bunch of my PC games back in the day. I used to have a bunch of lucasarts games, including Sam and Max. Still got my copy of tie fighter though.
    Anyone else play the original duke nukem's?

h61aL.jpg

or this

I can't say I'm happy with what I've heard about this new Syndicate game

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote:
    Man, I really wish I hadn't gotten rid of a bunch of my PC games back in the day. I used to have a bunch of lucasarts games, including Sam and Max. Still got my copy of tie fighter though.
    Anyone else play the original duke nukem's?

Yes! Occasionally I'll reinstall them and give them a whirl. :)

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    That's my issue with it, it's not really going to be X-com, drop the name make it a good fps and that's fine. Cash in on the nostalgia of the name and tarnish it's legacy, yeah, not so cool with that.

They actually are putting a lot of stuff from the old game in there. Capturing stuff to research new weapons/tech, keeping your squad well equipped, I think there's even some base building in there.

It's not going to be as deep as the original, but eh.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Copying a frail creature with a shapeshifter was comedic gold for me.

This was usually my strategy

They'd finally figure out it was a pathetic seer who held my orb, just because it was over there in the corner and not moving, probably surrounded by traps

So they'd send their strongest unit there and not really care about the other fights, throwing away units left and right to find all the traps

Then lol noep I'm a Demon time to kill your toughest guy

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Gizmos and Gadgets was my jam in grade school

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    I loved the mechanic for vampires in that game, super strong but get progressively weaker each turn unless you find an enemy unit... to feed upon... muahahaha.

I loved the mechanic for vampires in that game, super strong but get progressively weaker each turn unless you find an enemy unit... to feed upon... muahahaha.

And then you had vampire/vampire fights where it's just taking turns feeding on each other for 8 hours

edited October 2011
    Ah, Jagged Alliance, also full of win.
    And then you had vampire/vampire fights where it's just taking turns feeding on each other for 8 hours
    This, this right here.

Blackhawk1313 on
    Rolo wrote:
    wUnS6.jpg
    Hell yes!

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    There was this one trivia game where you had to shoot a UFO inbetween answering questions

It was one of the earliest games I remember having and yet I can't recall its name for the life of me; it was probably something really obvious like "UFO QUIZ"

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    I paid like $60 for JA2 and it just broke constantly on my PC.

Like I could get from the menu screen into the main game for about five seconds, and then some random file would crash and take my PC with it.

EYa7U.gif

nostalgia overload

I will forever live in the past

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    The new X-com game looks cool. It's a shame it's not like the old games, but those types of games don't sell anymore, unfortunately.

They should've just made the game without the X-Com name, then people would probably be looking forward to it more.

hello may I introduce you to UFO: Alien Invasion

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Lode Runner: The Legend Returns

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Rolo wrote:
    nWlUK.jpg

:^:

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    OMG This:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5GTUcvScnQ&feature=related
    You could build your own logic levels needing to find keys and everything it was a blast.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I remember having Treasure Mountain, Oregon Trail, some Carmen Sandiego games, Reader Rabbit, etc. on the crappy computer at our house. I also had two Batman games (one themed around the Joker, and one around the Penguin) that were kind of like a sidescroller that was balls hard and I don't think Batman could jump.

But at my aunt's house, she had some pretty sweet games. I think she had like all of the Commander Keen games, some platformer where you played as an alien who could stick to walls (Cosmos?), and then a trilogy of murder mystery adventure games that I cannot remember the name of. I believe two of them took place in mansions and the other took place in an Amazonian jungle. I can't really remember much about them except spending hours playing them (and in some cases, trying to figure out what command the game wanted me to type in so that I could plug the hole in the inflatable boat and get across the underground lake beneath the mansion).

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    PpAtm.gif

I played this game for so damn long.
    Why did you have to die at the end Gorath? WHY?!?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    nWlUK.jpg

:^:

I wanted to play this game so badly but my computer couldn't handle it at the time :(

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    308797-scholastic-s-the-magic-school-bus-explores-inside-the-earth.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Doom is still one of my favourite video games.

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    blades_of_exile-49019.gif

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:

what am I downloading

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    No image there Justin, I think this is what you were after though.
    BOEoutdoors1.gif

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I love Spiderweb Software's stuff

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Staleghoti wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:

what am I downloading

basically a new x-com

it's good

it's very good

and it's still being worked on! it'll be even better!

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:

just buy x-com on steam it's better.

This is buggy, incomplete, and sometimes levels are actually unbeatable. like you start in your ship and can't leave.

hT6E5.png

this one is going way back

I wonder if anyone here ever played it

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I remember loving Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego.

Also Quake 2 and Mechwarrior 3 were the best forever and always

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus