As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need a good pair of earphones/earbuds for running

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I took up running a few months ago. Generally I try for 5k three times a week. I've been using an app on my smartphone to measure my time and distance, which has been great. This morning, however, I also decided to make use of my Google Music account. I have a pair of Sony earbuds I got about 5 years ago that have little hooks that secure them to my ears, and I thought it'd be perfect.

Unfortunately, the one in my left ear kept slipping out, so I think I need a better pair of earbuds for this purpose. Any suggestions?

SteevL on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    What's your budget?

And if anyone says Skull-Candy, ignore them.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Not sure! I'm guessing that anything over $50 would feel like too much to me, but if it's the kind of thing that would last me for a long time, it'd probably be worth it.

But I do appreciate anti-recommendations as well. :)

edited November 2011
    Basically anything that's "in-ear" is going to work pretty well. Try and go towards the upper range of your budget, as cheaper will just disintegrate after a short period of time. Denon makes a nice pair that's around $50 on Amazon.

Something that goes into the ear canal. Not just something that sits in your ear like the basic Apple ones that come with your iPhone/iPod. Also, the ones with the ear hooks that you have are garbage for running.

Esh on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    I use Skullcandy earbuds, I don't know what Esh's problem with them is but they've worked fantastic for me.

Ruckus wrote:
    I use Skullcandy earbuds, I don't know what Esh's problem with them is but they've worked fantastic for me.

They're pieces of garbage that fall apart. I know multiple people who work in multiple places that sell them that say they get a ton of returns on them.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I second Skullcandies being crappy; my pair broke after a month or so. I got a replacement but it took so long to get that I'd bought a pair of Sonys (for a little over half the price of the Skullcandies) to use in the meantime. The Sonys lasted me a year and a half.

I use my earbuds pretty roughly, so I assume I'll have to replace them after a year or so. So far, of the brands I've tried, durability-wise it's gone Sennheiser >> Sony >>>>>>>>> Skullcandy. Sennheisers didn't have a model with the features that I wanted (at least at a decent price) after they broke for the second time, so I went with Sony. I forget what the model is, but they're standard earbuds with the little iPhone-compatible button/volume control/mic in the left side cord. They cost me around $30, might be cheaper by now.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I've been using a set of Sennheiser CX300s for a couple years now. They come with a few different rubber caps for the earbud, so you can adjust the fit.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Unless they've changed it, Sennheisers also automatically come with a two-year warranty that I used a few times. You have to wait a week or so for shipping back and forth, but I've never had trouble getting the replacement when my stuff finally stopped working.

• HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    I've been using Sennheiser MX75 headphone to run for the last 2 years and they've held up really well and don't fall out.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    skullcandies are crappy, but they're cheap and mine have held up pretty well. I normally destroy 3 pairs of buds a year, and these aren't even close to dead after 6 months

• rocketshipreadyrocketshipready Registered User regular
    I usually get whatever $5 pair of in-ear earphones I can find (or get free from somewhere), and just replace them as necessary. They'll get really gross really fast, and you don't really need IMPECCABLE sound quality while out running. I usually replace mine once a year.

It should be noted that I have a nice pair of over-the-ear headphones for non-running use, my crappies aren't my sole pair

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm fond of those "Gum" earbuds. They look stupid but they have outstanding bass without plugging your ears.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    I've had a pair of Sennheiser CX380s for a while (they were cheapest on amazon) for running, and I've never had problems with them falling out. Sound quality is decent as well.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm a big fan of Philips' earbuds... Last time I picked some up, they had these "surround sound" in-ear earbuds for like $20 that gave fantastic sound quality and were shaped in such a way as to not let the sound leak out into the environment, so I could hear them just fine at a low volume, even on the bus. That isn't true with, say, the terrible earbuds that come with iPods. These also did last me a fairly long time, but it's true that earbuds don't usually last as long as other headphones (I personally think the major problem is the style of the protective pieces they use at the plug and the individual earpieces as compared to the way most over-ear headphones are made). I say this with the caveat that I have yet to use those earbuds for running, so I don't know for sure how well they'd work for you, but since people were mentioning in-ear buds, I figured I'd bring it up. As for earbuds with the hooks for around the ear, I would find those things incredibly annoying to wear even if they actually DID keep themselves on your ears better (like you, I've found that they didn't seem to stay in place any better), so I don't recommend any of those. But yeah, Sennheiser is a good brand for headphones of any sort, as well, though I have no personal experience with their earbuds.

Essee on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    I don't know what everyone's talking about regarding the Skullcandy being poor quality, I have two pairs of the same model, one for work, used daily, and one I use for my laptop and iPod, that have thus far lasted me over a year and a half.

• ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind that earbuds you wear while running won't be treated daintily. A pair of $20 earbuds will give you decent audio and won't break your heart when they break.

• RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    As cheap and trashy as they are, my favorite pair of buds for a long time has been these little sony guys:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-E10LP-GRN-Lightweight-Earbuds/dp/B000PGH2G4/ref=pd_sim_e_3

They come in a bunch of different colors. Personally, I find earbuds that go in to the ear to be uncomfortable with a lot of movement, and something about the pointed design of the earbud on these makes them stay in really well compared to regular ol rounded iPod style earbuds.

For their price, you can afford to replace them every year, but I've had my pair for almost two years now with absolutely zero problems. Decent sound, comfortable fit and cheap price all adds up to my favorite earbud for running.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Just a bit of advice in case you're as stupid as I am.

Don't get earphones that mean you can't hear a thing outside your music if you're going to be running anywhere you could get ran over by a car or some shit.

Nearly got myself killed.

815165 on
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's a good point, and why I mentioned that I could hear mine even if they're at a low volume: you DO NOT want them to get in the way of evaluating your environment. It's not something I would personally worry about because I am probably too wary of cars and such, but you don't want to have the sound up so high that you can't hear a car coming-- and especially not so high you can't hear a train coming (I seem to recall reading that this really happened to someone, yikes). Depending on where you run, this may not be a huge problem, but it's something to bear in mind. If you have the right earbuds, you shouldn't need to turn up the volume very high. The iPod earbuds are horrible this way because to listen to them you either need to be in a quiet area or turn the volume way up because most of the sound doesn't go directly into your actual ear at all (from my experience).

• RookRook Registered User regular
    If normal ear buds fall out, I'd recommend one with a band connecting them behind the had.
    http://www.amazon.com/s-Earphones/dp/B001GT185K/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320225108&sr=1-4
    That's what I use whilst running.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I definitely want to be careful with the whole traffic/earbud combo. For the brief few minutes when they stayed in my ears yesterday, I could still hear cars as they passed by, so that seemed OK. I mean, I'm running in the suburbs and try to do it during low-traffic times, but I do cross a street or two and have had to wait for cars to go by. Usually I'm on the sidewalk.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. I'm actually running my first 5k on Saturday; I'll probably decide on a set of earbuds after that.

• Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    The only headphones I've been able to tolerate when running are some old Nike sport behind the neck ones. I despise ear buds that plug in your ears. To me it feels like someone is putting their little fingers in my ears when I'm running and they are painful as well. I may just have oddly shaped ears though. I wouldn't recommend spending big bucks on some fancy earphones until you know what you can live with when running. I've bought expensive ear buds that are supposed to be designed for running that constantly fall out of my ears. Buy some cheap phones and test them out for comfort first, then see about the quality of the sound. My Nike's are pretty mediocre when it comes to sound, but they stay in my ears and I'm not constantly fussing with them when I run.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I generally love in-ear headphones like the Sennheiser CX300s, but when I use them for running I hear too much of the sound of the cords bouncing around and rubbing on my shirt. As 815165 mentioned, they also block out too much outside sound to be safe around cars and bicyclists.
    Hypatia wrote:
    I've been using Sennheiser MX75 headphone to run for the last 2 years and they've held up really well and don't fall out.

These are the ones I use for running, and they've worked great for me. Stay in place, let me hear honking cars, sound good. The only thing I don't like is the color. They also come with a lapel clip to help keep the cord in place.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I also didn't like the Sens for running for the same reason.

I've been using these and have been happy:

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6P-BK-Sound-Isolating-Headphones-Smartphones/dp/B003VTZPO8

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    So this is way over your budget, but I did want to chime in an suggest the http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bose%26%23174%3B+-+IE2+Audio+Headphones/1114791.p?id=1218221912874&skuId=1114791&st=Bose_Audio_Headphones&cp=1&lp=8 Bose IE2's. They run about $100, I found them on sale for about $85.

I got them about a month ago, and I run almost daily. They've been fantastic. Loud, clear sound but they don't totally block the outdoors (still alive!). Also super comfortable, and come with 6 sets of various size fittings for your ears. Really I can't say enough good about them.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I use these: http://www.usa.philips.com/c/headphones/shs3201_28/prd/en/

They're fairly cheap, hold up well, and I can still hear what's going on around me when I run.

The thing about running/workout earbuds is that they are going to take some abuse. I run a ton now, and I think I buy a new pair of earbuds every couple of months. At $20 a pop that's not too terrible.

camo_sig2.png