As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In an absolutely stunning twist, there's going to be a GTAV

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Like I said, GTA IV trailer first came out in March 2007 and the game was supposed to be released in September that year.

But it came out in April 2008.
    It was delayed so that it wouldn't have to compete with Halo 3.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    Like I said, GTA IV trailer first came out in March 2007 and the game was supposed to be released in September that year.

Late April, too.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:
    SimBen wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

Games don't get delayed for 7 months for a reason like that alone. They didn't just sit on GTA4 at the expense of, once again, seven months of sales.

7 months is even longer than pure polish-time for a game like this. The game was definitely plain not complete in September 2007.

sig.gif
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Saw these on another forum. Amusing at least if you are a punk like me.

Je4Zx.png

Y84Ud.png

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I wonder how long it take to make a GTA

I'd like to think they've been working on it these past 3 years

Like, A Team was on Red Dead, B Team starting GTAV, and then they joined into the A Team while new B Team worked on DLC

And then 4 guys are making Max Payne 3

6F32U1X.png
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    They do have all those different studios. I'm sure they have each helping out on various things but they must have a separate studio working on the main shit. Which studio is doing this one and is it the same as IV?

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think there's a Rockstar up in Chicago

I am going to hope that's the one making GTAV

so i can sneak in

6F32U1X.png
    Macro9 wrote:
    They do have all those different studios. I'm sure they have each helping out on various things but they must have a separate studio working on the main shit. Which studio is doing this one and is it the same as IV?

Rockstar North, the same people who developed IV.

edited November 2011
    Rockstar North is the main GTA team, they've done all the main ones plus DLC and Chinatown Wars. They also made both Manhunt games, Red Dead Redemption (but not Revolver) and are now working on Agent, which is gonna be a stealth action game. So my guess is that they have two teams over there, the Manhunt 2 team made Chinatown Wars and RDR while the other team was making GTA4, and the RDR team must now be working on Agent while the GTA team is doing GTA5.

And no that's not the Chicago team, Rockstar North is located in Scotland.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    I thought RDR was primarily San Diego?

Plot news:
    Rockstar parent Take-Two calls GTA V "a bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer," while confirming that its story will focus on "the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present-day Southern California."

Also, old news regarding release:
    In June 2011, sources allegedly close to the developer said the title is "well under way", with final touches like mini-games already being applied, and a 2012 release "pretty likely".

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Follow me.

topgun%2Bvolley.jpg

BytAR.jpg

Red Dead Redemption was done by Rockstar San Diego and Rockstar North collaborated with them.

Oh

I read that Wikipedia article too fast.

Yeah they gave some support to RDR but weren't the main force behind it.

So after their DMA Design days (the last game they put out under that name was GTA3), Rockstar North was the primary development studio only for Vice City, San Andreas, GTA4 and Manhunt 1 (but not 2). So that's probably only one team, and I'm gonna guess that work on Agent is only starting about now and the bulk of their team is on GTA5 and will move over once that's done.

sig.gif
    I remain convinced that they are secretly working on Body Harvest 2

All the GTA3 era games (well, except Advance) ran on Body Harvest's engine. I'm just saying that because it's sorta mind-blowing.

sig.gif
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    The onion charges for articles now? Dag.

Fuck off and die.
    It was their Renderware stuff right? That's pretty incredible

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I still secretly hope someone is working on Bully 2 :(

Yeah. Well an early version of it. If you play Body Harvest and then immediately GTA3, you'll notice the physics feel pretty similar. Also water kills you (though you can swim for a while in Body Harvest).

sig.gif
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    SimBen wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    SimBen wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

Games don't get delayed for 7 months for a reason like that alone. They didn't just sit on GTA4 at the expense of, once again, seven months of sales.

7 months is even longer than pure polish-time for a game like this. The game was definitely plain not complete in September 2007.

The game sold 3.5 million copies in one day. And I think its around 32 million over all.

I don't think a 7 month delay hurt anything.

SimBen wrote:
    Yeah. Well an early version of it. If you play Body Harvest and then immediately GTA3, you'll notice the physics feel pretty similar. Also water kills you (though you can swim for a while in Body Harvest).

I really wish that game would get an XBLA/PSN release

I've always had a soft spot for it

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    SimBen wrote:

Midnight Club's driving engine is the exact same as the PS2 GTA games. So they reused that too.

SimBen wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:
    SimBen wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

The game sold 3.5 million copies in one day. And I think its around 32 million over all.

I don't think a 7 month delay hurt anything.

I buy that they'd delay it to avoid competing with Halo 3, but they wouldn't delay it that long. GTA is popular enough to stand toe to toe with Halo, and Halo only came out in September. If that had been the reason, there was no reason for them not to release it in November.

sig.gif
    edited November 2011
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In a later conference call with investors, Take-Two's Strauss Zelnick attributed the delay to "almost strictly technological problems ... not problems, but challenges."[57] It was revealed that technical difficulties with the PlayStation 3 version of the game contributed to the delay, along with storage problems on the Xbox 360.[58]

Edit: It seems that the whole delay-to-get-out-of-Halo's-way theory is just some bullshit Michael Pachter said (before the delay was announced) that people took seriously despite him never being right about anything.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    Saw these on another forum. Amusing at least if you are a punk like me.

Je4Zx.png

Y84Ud.png

The fuck is this

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    the work of lunatics

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't get that

CYpGAPn.png
    People are saying that's the game's release date because of numbers on that sign and the date that song got released, which is stupid.

sig.gif
  • GravesGraves Registered User regular
    Has anyone else had a suspicion that the 3 characters that possibly resemble Tommy Niko and CJ are to represent that you can create your own character? R* even said that multiplayer would play a larger role so I could see that being a thing.

Rockstar usually picks a character with an established backstory and gives him his own quest, but I think they could do it without crossing into Saints Row territory, you know, more of a realistic edge to it all, even if it can get pretty crazy sometimes.

I don't know how people think that companies put out a trailer and already know when they're gonna release a game but won't tell us for some reason. BUT they still have to put secret hints about the release date.

INSIDER PROTIP: companies let you know as soon as they know when a game's gonna come out. If there's no announced release date, it's because the company doesn't know when the game will be ready yet. They don't play coy and hide that shit. They WANT you to know when it's coming out because they want you to run out and pre-order the game.

sig.gif
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    They're going to release the game in the past? Quite a feat.

God I hate when someone uses protip. All it does it make you seem like a giant prick.

No they added the 12 because that's the next May 24th, duh.

sig.gif
    Goose! wrote:
    God I hate when someone uses protip. All it does it make you seem like a giant prick.

Seem?

sig.gif
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote:
    does LA have toll roads?

Yuuuuuup.

jkZziGc.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Here's your toll, troll

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    gonna carpool the shit out of the highways in this game

SimBen wrote:
    Goose! wrote:

Seem?
    I make no assumptions.

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    I am going to jack the shit out of your car bitch, but please don't get out until we get off the highway I ain't got any change