As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Filing for unemployment

see317see317 Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, earlier this week I got a call letting me know that my last paycheck would be arriving by mail, and that they wouldn't be needing my services any longer.
I've managed to save some cash before now and have avoided credit card debt, so I've got enough to live on for a few months. The only debt I have is my portion of the mortgage and my student loans.
I've updated my base resume so I can more easily tailor it to specific job opportunities, I'm working on getting in contact with some of the people I worked with to ask if I can use them as references during the job search.
And, if it comes to it, my parents have said I could boomerang. Obviously this is a last ditch alternative, but if I've got to swallow my pride so as not to starve...

What I'd like advice or information on is how to file for unemployment. I'd prefer to drain my savings as little as possible, which means filing for unemployment benefits so that making ends meet isn't entirely on me.
Unfortunately, I've no idea how to go about doing so, what paper work I need to file, who I need to file it with etc...
So, if you could point me towards reliable online resources for assistance in this it would be deeply appreciated. I'd rather not give my information to a website only to have it turn out to be a phishing scam or malware BS, and I'd imagine there's a lot of both masquerading as help for the recently unemployed given the current circumstances.
Any other help/advice from people in the same boat, or who have left this boat recently would also be deeply appreciated.

I live and was employed in Colorado.

see317 on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I Googled "Colorado Unemployment"

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDLE-UnempBenefits/CDLE/1248095315427

You can file online there.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Get your paychecks together, plus any bank statements.

You may not be able to file until you're actually unemployed. Was the phone call a notice of termination? Your company should send you a packet for stuff like COBRA too. Actual application process is easy enough, usually takes a few weeks from filing to getting your first check, or does in IL.

Yeah, just get resumes together, get the word out, update your LinkedIN, etc.

• Options
    SuzuSLSuzuSL Registered User new member
    edited November 2011
    as i know If you do not have all the necessary information you may not be able to complete your initial claim.

Your name and all past names you have used while working.
    Your home address and mailing address (if different)
    Your state issued driver’s license or ID card number
    The last date you worked for any employer
    The reason you are no longer working
    Information on all employers you worked for during the 18 months prior to filing your claim, including: name, period of employment, wages earned and how you were paid.

SuzuSL on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Thanks for the advice guys. I apologize if I wasted your time, I could and should have googled and done the research myself.
    I was just still in shock and stuck in the "Oh shit, what do I do now?" frame of mind where you just can't focus and can barely breath.

I've filed the necessary forms and signed up at Colorado Workforce center as required. Have sent out several resumes this week. Taken a deep breath. All that good stuff.
    Fingers crossed I hear back from someone.

I guess we can lock this down, thanks again.

see317 on