As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Please post in new thread.

DashuiDashui Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-logo.png

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role-playing video game being developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It is scheduled to be released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Skyrim's main story revolves around the player character's efforts to defeat a dragon god who is prophesied to destroy the world. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the game takes place in the land of Skyrim in the midst of a civil war after the assassination of the king. The open world gameplay of the Elder Scrolls series is continued in Skyrim, as the player character can explore the land at will and ignore or postpone the main quest indefinitely.

News

11/11/2011 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is now available for purchase!

Information & Tips

Unlike previous Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim does not force you to decide your favored attributes and skills at the start of the game. In fact, you are not forced to choose any favored attributes or skills at all. Bethesda has opted for a class-free system, and those choices will come naturally through experimentation as you play the game.

Changes have also been made to the leveling system. You continue to raise your level by improving your skills, but you no longer have a long list of attributes you only add minor, numerical improvements to. Instead, you raise your health, stamina or mana by ten points and can then choose a perk. Perks are divided into the game's 18 skills, each skill having a branching tree of numerous perks. There are currently 280 perks in the game. You are not forced to choose your perks upon leveling. You can spend them at any time once earned.

If you raise all your skills to 100, the hard level cap you reach is around level 70. Bethesda has stated the soft level cap is 50, and past that point leveling becomes much slower. You do continue to earn perks past 50.

The racial bonuses are linked below:

Racial Bonuses 01
Racial Bonuses 02
Racial Bonuses 03
Racial Bonuses 04

The skills and perks in the game are linked below:

Alchemy
Alteration
Archery
Block
Conjuration
Destruction
Enchanting
Heavy Armor
Illusion
Light Armor
Lockpicking
One-Handed
Pickpocket
Restoration
Smithing
Sneak
Speech
Two-Handed

A skill and perk calculator can be found here.

Mods

Oblivion Modding Guide -- If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to send a private message to Dashui for help.

If you'd like to breathe new life into Morrowind, I highly recommend Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics. It installs all the latest audio and graphical mods to the game through an easy to use application. You choose from a variety of different mods, and can make changes later with the press of a button and without having to start a fresh game through the same application. Included is a very detailed readme that will guide you through the install and setup process.

Reviews

10/10 - Eurogamer - "It evokes a word that's overused in reviewing of all kinds: one that's best kept in the cellar in a plainly marked box and reserved only for the most special of occasions. For Skyrim though, I'd like to blow the dust off it, open up the lid, and enjoy a masterpiece with you."

5/5 - Gamespy - "I'm looking forward to continuing my adventures of the frozen north long after this holiday season, and it's without a doubt one of the best games I've played this year... if not one of the best role-playing games of the last decade."

5/5 - Joystiq - "This is the deepest, loveliest world ever created for a single player to explore, and one that no one should deny themselves. This is a game about following Emerson's advice, leaving the trail and finding that the most powerful force on Earth or Tamriel isn't fire or sword, but the ever-insistent desire to know what lies beyond."

9.5/10 - IGN - "It's difficult to ever feel completely satisfied with a play session of Skyrim. There's always one more pressing quest, one more unexplored tract of land, one more skill to increase, one more butterfly to catch. It's a mesmerizing game that draws you into an finely crafted fictional space packed with content that consistently surprises. The changes made since Oblivion are many, and result in a more focused and sensible style of play, where the effects of every decision are easily seen. Featuring the same kind of thrilling freedom of choice The Elder Scrolls series is known for along with beautiful visuals and a stirring soundtrack, playing Skyrim is a rare kind of intensely personal, deeply rewarding experience, and one of the best role-playing games yet produced."

88/100 - RPGFan - "Oblivion is in my top five most overrated RPGs of all time, while Fallout 3 is one of my favorite current-gen RPGs. The Elder Scrolls V sits somewhere between the two. Indeed, Skyrim strongly resembles its predecessors at times, and the catalogue of small changes and minor additions makes it more of the same. Skyrim takes few risks. Perhaps the only risk it takes is failing to match up to its competition in individual areas. Other RPGs released this year have better stories, sharper graphics, and more visceral combat. Skyrim doesn't really care. The latest Elder Scrolls has such confidence in the allure of its open-world structure that it shirks the need to compete. And, it largely succeeds in being better than the sum of its parts. So grab a tankard of mead, wrap yourself in a tundra beast's hide, and stoke the meadhall's fire. There is a long winter ahead."

Screenshots

YrG5d.jpg

LCxoD.jpg

Lp6K9.jpg

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
Dashui on

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    This is just the fast and dirty OP. I'm going to make it more pretty and fill it in soon.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote:
    This is just the fast and dirty OP. I'm going to make it more pretty and fill it in soon.

To properly replicate the Elder Scrolls experience, you should make the OP incomplete and filled with errors big and small, and then have the rest of the people posting in the thread fix all your mistakes and fill in the missing content.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    I'm going to play a Bosmer male and marry the biggest Orc male i can find.

We shall go on many adventures.

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    So how about that lizardman on catperson action? Some serious interspecies relationships going on.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I am going to be king Henry the 8th and murder some of my wives while making a spin-off religion. Daedra-Aedranism.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Seeing the race bonuses in the last thread I think I'll make a Redguard spellsword instead of my usual Redguard thief.

I intend to
    awooo
    across the land.

Since there are no major skills this time around I'm thinking of just going with Argonians and Khajit this time. They have great racial powers. And no class gets the screw on magicka so I could do a beastman mage without worrying if I can even cast Expert-level spells, let alone Master.

B6yM5w2.gif
    Someone post that bear rolling video again.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote:
    That should go into the OP. Also, freed up some space on the hard drive for the game. There is a handy freeware program called WinDirStat that easily shows what is taking up space.

This is a pretty great program. I am going to use it all the time now. I just deleted a whole slew of crap I had no idea was hanging in my directory. I now have about 40 gigs of additional space.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dogar wrote:
    Aistan wrote:
    Hmmm I dunno how I feel about that Nord battlecry ability. All it means is i'd have to chase them down to hit them with my massive sword.

I imagine it'd be quite useful if they were beating your ass and you needed a moment to heal yourself up

I know what all these words mean but I don't understand the sentence.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    quote="tyrannus"]
    Ashdrake wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    I'm trying to find videos of Skyrim that don't get taken down after like 5 minutes.

http://www.gameanyone.com/video/358609

Re posting the lets play link. 8 half hour vids.
    This person is horrible and makes these pretty unwatchable
    [/quote]

In part 4 there is this situation involving a chicken that is hilarious.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. It seems that the punishment for both chicken slaughter and silverware thievery in The Elder Scrolls is still death.

• H*RH*R Registered User regular
    I just love how he keeps talking about how he's the DOVA-KEEN and that he's going to yell at people. Voice reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld. I get the impression that he's really jazzed about the game, but wants to keep the videos entertaining. For the most part i think he succeeds.

I've also been skipping around a lot to miss main storyline spoilers.

He does some stupid crap, but I think he just wants to show off as much as he can in the time he has.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Just goes to show. If your going to kill chickens...take them out with stealth. Then rez them with necromancy. No one will tell the difference. Necropoltryphila!

I am very glad I did not read that as necropoltryphilia.

• ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Yeah. It seems that the punishment for both chicken slaughter and silverware thievery in The Elder Scrolls is still death.

lol didn't they claim they fixed the chicken thing?

steam_sig.png
  • PartizankaPartizanka Registered User regular
    This may be an odd request but while some of the female armours look okay in Skyrim most of them are unbearable to look at for me on account of the silly boobs sticking out everywhere. I'm not an expert at modding, but if I remember correctly men and women use the same skeleton in New Vegas and such? Assuming its the same in Skyrim is there a way I can change things so that the male and female versions of armour are both male?

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go

Steam - Partizanka | Live - Partizanka
    Looks like you can't shoot while on horseback. That really should be in the game by now.

edited November 2011
    You still can't shoot while on a horse. That should have been added to the game by now.

Edit: Argh. The lack of a "delete post" button and the posting delay strikes again.

Krathoon on
    I was leaning toward buying this on 360 first, but the pop-in is starting to bug me after watching the Game Anyone videos. It's pretty bad. Now I'm back go being indecisive!

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Krathoon wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    Ashdrake wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    I'm trying to find videos of Skyrim that don't get taken down after like 5 minutes.

http://www.gameanyone.com/video/358609

Re posting the lets play link. 8 half hour vids.
    This person is horrible and makes these pretty unwatchable

In part 4 there is this situation involving a chicken that is hilarious.

I broke my rule of not spoiling myself with skyrim videos to watch this. It was worth it.

Also FIVE DAYS HOLY SHIT

Foolish Chaos on
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I think the guy is funny as hell. And he's purposely skipping a lot of stuff to avoid spoilers on side quests and stuff

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Dragkonias wrote:

Though the guy kind of has it coming. I posted on the last page of the last topic, but he's kind of a dick in-game.

My post from last thread pretty much sums his LP up:
    I'm still watching this lets play, and I have to say, I like how even the NPC's seem to not be able to stand this guy. He just pissed off a village so badly, that he was just chased out of the village by two women wielding carving knives, and one beardy looking Nord who called him a coward and "not a True Nord" for running away from a bunch of unarmored angry women who were using cooking utensils as weaponry.

They ended up chasing him like half a mile, screaming curiously accented threats and insults at him (and occasionally shanking him in the kidneys and back with the carving knives) until he managed to cross some extremely large and frothy looking rapids.

Apparently that, and the fact that the Nord was busy protecting the two women from a pack of wolves (Water actually has a current now, and you can get caught in it, from looking at it, to the point where you can get swept downstream/over a waterfall. Of which there were several small ones at these rapids. He just hopped over the river, carefully jumping from rock to rock.) dissuaded them from pursuing any further.

The NPC's just stood there at the river bank, screaming obscenities at him while the LPer smarmily prepared to shoot one of the unarmed women with an arrow as pay-back----until a wolf suddenly pounced on him from behind, and tried to tear his throat out.

Meanwhile, he will not shut up with the frat boy commentary and gawking verbally at every tiny little item like it's the second coming of Richard Garriot.

Truly, this shall be the most epic LP ever. I can see why some people think it's unintentionally funny.

All that being said, this game has convinced me that it's going to be the best thing likely to come out this year. The sheer comedy value of watching some doofus try to gallantly stumble his way through the gameworld should make for some great LP's alone.

On top of that, watching it later on, he really sucks at actually being a hero.

I mean, he's supposed to be leading a group of soldiers into a fight with a dragon at one point. What does he do instead? Climb to the top of a nearby watch-tower and constantly rant about how he wants to be Matthew McConaughey in Reign of Fire, slaying all the dragons that cross his path. Meanwhile, the soldiers pretty much get roasted alive, and one named character pretty much solo's the dragon for him. At one point, the dragon does several fly-bys on the tower, chasing him inside, while the named character (The real hero of the fight.) pretty much electrocutes the crap out of the dragon to get it off of him.

It's a glorious trainwreck to watch.

Edit: And now he's pretty damn creepy, too. I won't spoil it in public as it pertains to main quest spoilers, but
    He gets a house-carl after killing the Dragon. His first response to seeing a Nordic woman serving as his personal body-guard/servant?

"Oh cool! It's like you're my slave! :D"

"Let's go to bed."

*Pauses, as if he's looking off camera at someone, or just realized what he said.*

"Well, not together. You know what I mean."

Archonex on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    That chicken is like the mayor or something?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Reposting this from the old thread.

UYY8i.jpg

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Or maybe he's trying to be entertaining. I think he's really funny

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    That chicken is like the mayor or something?

Hey man, mutiliating livestock was a big deal back then.

Imagine if some dude came into your village and started carving up your cattle. You'd be shit out of luck for surviving for the next few years.

Though on that note, this guy does do a good impersonation of what a drunken viking would probably do in this game.

Edit: I'm pretty sure he isn't doing all of it for comedy value. He's just not very good at the game, and recording it at the same time. He misses a ton of stuff, and has to backtrack a fair amount.

Archonex on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Just goes to show. If your going to kill chickens...take them out with stealth. Then rez them with necromancy. No one will tell the difference. Necropoltryphila!

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Did that dbag really not understand that choosing to follow the IMPERIAL soldier allied him with the IMPERIAL torturer? What a fuckin' retard.

Tzen on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I hope the Empire don't get portrayed as the Bad Guys to the Stormcloak Good Guys. F:NV's factions were a big letdown after supposedly being so morally grey, only to have the Legion be cartoonishly evil (and yes I know Obsidian did that and not Beth).

There are some pretty huge benefits to being part of the Empire. It'd be fantastic if the game actually explored the question of prosperity and stability versus freedom and culture, though I don't expect it.

Suriko on
    Suriko wrote:
    I hope the Empire don't get portrayed as the Bad Guys to the Stormcloak Good Guys. F:NV's factions were a big letdown after supposedly being so morally grey, only to have the Legion be cartoonishly evil.

There are some pretty huge benefits to Imperialism. It'd be fantastic if the game actually explored the question of prosperity and stability versus freedom and culture, though I don't expect it.

Bethesda didn't make Fallout: New Vegas.

Even so, Bethesda's recent track record for main quests hasn't been that great. My personal expectation is that that aspect of the game will be rather poor, but all the side-questing will be a lot of fun.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    My ninja edit was not fast enough nooo.

harakiri-poster.jpg

Edit: Oh shit. Big spoiler, for super serious:
    Sheogorath is back, baby!

Suriko on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'm pretty worried; I'm hoping I can run this game smoothly.

System specs:

System Name WIN7
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model EP35-DS3L
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
    User Name Win7\Jorge
    Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.76 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.02 GB
    Page File Space 4.00 GB
    Page File F:\pagefile.sys

Primary Adapter
    Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by AMD
    Graphics Chipset ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Device ID 68B8
    Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 2990
    Subsystem Vendor ID 1682

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
    Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 012.013.000.000
    BIOS Part Number 113-HD577AZNF91-113-C01301-007
    BIOS Date 2009/12/04

Memory Size 1024 MB
    Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 850 MHz
    Memory Clock in MHz 1200 MHz
    Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 76.8 GByte/s

I can run Witcher 2 and Mass Effect 2 no problem, and after heavy, heavy modding I could get Oblivion to run, but I'm hoping for high visuals and a stable framerate. I hope I can pull off at least a stable 30 fps with everything else maxed out.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Suriko wrote:
    snip

Hardly.

I am 1000% certain SOMEONE in Shivering Isles mentioned how the world corrupted those who entered it.

In fact I'm pretty sure that's how you're introduced to the place.

It is not a stretch at all to assume that hey, maybe actually BECOMING Sheogorath would have far more profound effects on people.

Or maybe the Oblivion Dragon Break didn't extend to having Shivering Isles being completed.

Not really spoilers.
    But really, a Daedra that's been around since Daggerfall, especially one as major a character as Sheogorath being back in Skyrim should come as no surprise at all.

as for me not spoiling Shivering Isles stuff, it was spoiled on the back of the box. Statute of limitations.

EDIT: Snugglesworth: You had to work to get Oblivion running? My current system (Athlon x2 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM) ran it right out of the box with a Radeon X1650 Pro. Poorly, but it ran. With a Radeon HD3850 it ran it fairly okay.

MechMantis on
    Well, run well is what I meant.

It is my hope Skyrim is so polished and optimized right out of the gate that it doesn't require any major modding, and instead only has modding as a luxury.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'd like to hope that you could run Skyrim given that you ran the Witcher 2. That game is kind of a beast

Foolish Chaos on
    Again, I'm hoping I can run it well. I'm hoping for 1920x1080 at high textures without any chugging.

Usually I sacrifice AA, as it's basically a non-issue in most games. I think I was able to get Fallout NV at the second highest AA with everything else maxed out.

But I'm still a bit concerned since Skyrim is looking like a much more graphically advanced game, at least if the trailers are to be believed. Haven't watched any livestreams, don't intend to either.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    A conservative guess would be that an E8400 and a 5770 will probably run the game fine at medium-high settings, although we don't yet know how many graphical doodads and tickboxes there will be. Some monster setting like ambient occlusion might be problematic. I wouldn't bet that you will be cranking every single knob up to the max at 1080p, but it should run well. Best guesses at this point.

Scosglen on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    You can just go to CanIRunIt, let it do a scan. And it will tell you, give or take, whether you can run it fine.

Also AA is damn useless these days. Textures are so high quality that it isn't even needed. I dunno, might make screenshots smoother looking?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Dude, if you ran Witcher 2 okay, Skyrim will be fine.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    Also AA is damn useless these days. Textures are so high quality that it isn't even needed. I dunno, might make screenshots smoother looking?

Anti-aliasing is for smoothing the contours of polygonal surfaces, not making textures look nice. Anti-aliasing can make a pretty dramatic difference in image quality, especially at lower resolutions.

This discussion has been closed.