As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good beginner books for Blender

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'd like to learn the open-share 3D animation program Blender, but am unsure of where to start. I spent the better part of my evening yesterday scavenging the Internet for different books, but I can't seem to decide on a good one.

My first look was on their official website, but it seems from customer reviews they're more of a glorified sales-pitch in text instead of a thorough hands on approach. I then checked out Blender for Dummies, but heard it was actually a bit confusing/conflicting to read and I'm already familiar with the Dummies series (not a terribly positive experience). There were a few other books I checked out, but a good chunk of them seemed geared towards intermediate or expert levels.

The one book I decided on is titled:

Beginning Blender: Open Source 3D Modeling, Animation, and Game Design by Lance Flavell

It seems like the best book for me, but the cheapest they have it anywhere is in the upper $80 range, and it'll go as high as $300! There's no way I have that kind of cash to burn, but I'll commit if it's worth it. They have a kindle/e-book version but im not generally a fan of those; besides, I'm only really allowed to read books at work and e-books aren't allowed.

There are online videos all over the place, but the quality and consistency of those are erratic at best, and it doesnt give you a clear-cut directive or incentive to follow through.

Anyone here use Blender and could give any good beginner book recommendations?

Godfather on