As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spanish help, what's this mean?

override367override367 ALL minionsRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having trouble figuring this out, instructions are as follows:
Escribe tres oraciones con saber y tres oraciones con conocer para conseguir información sobre tu profesor de español. Usa tú o Ud., según la costumbre de la clase

Write 3 sentences with knowledge and three sentences with to know for get information about your Spanish professor. Use tú or usted, according to the custom of the class? Is that what it says?

Is he asking to write three sentences asking about the spanish professor, addressed to the spanish professor?

override367 on

• Options
    AF-IXAF-IX (LGKAOS) Whiteman AFBRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    That is written wacky but the way I read it;

He's asking...write a total of six sentences, three sentences (each) in which
    a) you use the word 'saber' (know)
    b] you use the word 'conocer' (to get to know)

in order which to get information about your professor.

Using the "tu" VS "usted" all depends on how formal/informal your teacher is.

Examples:
    a) Profesor, yo quiero saber...usted tiene el juego Battlefield 3?
    b) Profesor, you quiero conocer como usted es un experto en Battlefield 3?

My credentials: I'm 100% Mexican, born & raised in Arizona.
    Edit: I DID get a C in Spanish though...but in my defense, it was SPAIN Spanish...all super-formal & shit.
    Edit: I mean...find me a Mexican that uses the word "boligrafo" for pen!? We say "pluma", dammit!

AF-IX on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    AF-IX wrote:
    Examples:
    a) Profesor, yo quiero saber...usted tiene el juego Battlefield 3?
    b) Profesor, you quiero conocer como usted es un experto en Battlefield 3?

Unless that's the phrase you are practicing in class (The first phrase "yo quiero saber", "you quiero conocer"), I wouldn't use that, it sounds weird, I mean, you could just use the starting phrases and make up any kind of question.

What I understand from the instructions, the point of using the words "saber" and "conocer" are for you to practice the use of those words, as in:

"¿Conoce usted un buen lugar donde comer tacos?"
    "¿Tu conoces un buen lugar donde comer tacos?"
    "¿Por qué sabe usted tanto español?"
    "¿Por qué tu sabes tanto español?"
    "¿Dónde conoció a su espos@?"
    "¿Dónde conociste a tu espos@?"
    "¿Cuántos Estados de los Estados Unidos conoce usted?"
    "¿Cuántos Estados de los Estados Unidos tu conoces?"

Etc.

In my opinion, it makes more sense.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    AF-IXAF-IX (LGKAOS) Whiteman AFBRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Yea, depending on what level of Spanish classes the OP is taking.

My examples were a very basic/beginner type of answers.
    Your examples are a bit more in-depth/advanced...& now that I think about it & re-read the question, probably what the instructor is looking for.

It sounds weird & too formal for us native Spanish folks...but like you said, depends on if the class is conversational or formal Spanish.

In hindsight, the way the question is worded; seems like it might be a bit of intermediate/advanced Spanish.

AF-IX on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Yeah that's the conclusion I ended up reaching, thanks guys

I took Spanish 1 a few semesters ago so I wasn't sure, something like
    "Yo sé Newt Gingrich es redondo"

Really simple sentences I'd imagine, he keeps trying to make them real complex but its just spanish 1

override367 on
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    Escribe tres oraciones con saber y tres oraciones con conocer para conseguir información sobre tu profesor de español. Usa tú o Ud., según la costumbre de la clase

Literally:
    Write three sentences with saber (to know) and three sentences with conocer (to know) in order to obtain information about your Spanish Professor. Use tú (You) or VS, according to the costums in the class.

Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!