As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need names...

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    No, but for real, I love the names Columbia and Samuel (Obviously Samuel is a guy's name).

They're the most American you can get in names.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    I just realized that no one in the current generation of my family has kids or plans to have any. I may be the last!

As a firm believer in population control, I thank your family.
    "Take your seed outside.....leave it in the streets!"

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    I think I've seen you give that advice before, Blake

It's solid advice Rachel. You would do well to follow it.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    I just realized that no one in the current generation of my family has kids or plans to have any. I may be the last!

As a firm believer in population control, I thank your family.
    "Take your seed outside.....leave it in the streets!"

What if a homeless lady falls in it!?!

I totally believe this is how pregnancy can happen!

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote:
    No, but for real, I love the names Columbia and Samuel (Obviously Samuel is a guy's name).

Colt.

You get double points for killing the homeless lady.
    One less asshole in my World (of Warcraft) and one less homeless person.

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Huntera wrote:

Colt.

That'd be #3

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular

Should just make all the homeless GMs in WoW. They'll actually whisper you randomly to see if maybe you need help with something.

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Xavier

I don't care what gender it is

Magus` wrote:

Should just make all the homeless GMs in WoW. They'll actually whisper you randomly to see if maybe you need help with something.

This is a brilliant idea actually. I expect a full detailed report on my desk by Friday, we will start rounding up homeless on Monday.

• jippeejippee Registered User regular
    I liked quoth's babynaming thread better. she gave us a last name to work with.

Nellie the elephant packed her trunk
    and trundled off to the jungle
    off she rode with a trumpety trump
    trump trump trump

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    My daughter is going to be named Abigail.

Love that name.

• babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    Sara. Sara Amour.

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Ledneh wrote:
    Xavier

That is my son's middle name

It is a good name

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote:

Love that name.

I've liked this name for a long time but now I associate it with my ex since it was something we threw around when talking about what we might name hypothetical future-children.

I like Rosanne, these days. Combines two names I like a lot.

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote:
    Ledneh wrote:
    Xavier

That is my son's middle name

It is a good name

You're a good person for this, Quoth

That boy will be King of Kings

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote:
    #pipe wrote:

Love that name.

I've liked this name for a long time but now I associate it with my ex since it was something we threw around when talking about what we might name hypothetical future-children.

I could never name my kid after a 1990s sitcom

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    jippee wrote:
    I liked quoth's babynaming thread better. she gave us a last name to work with.

I can give you a last name

Also, speaking of Samuel I did like in Supernatural when Dean finds out why he and Sam are named what they are

Turns out it was after their grandparents. Dean's grandmother was Deanna.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I am sad that the name Edward has been spoiled by Twilight. It's been a family name for generations :(

• GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote:

Columbia because it's where we get all our good blow?

sierracrest.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    name her joe frazier

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    godmode wrote:
    I am sad that the name Edward has been spoiled by Twilight. It's been a family name for generations :(

Nah, don't worry about it. Isabella, Jacob, and Edward are still all fine names. Fuck the haters.

EyQGd.jpg
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Gafoto wrote:
    Huntera wrote:

Columbia because it's where we get all our good blow?

Technically, Columbia is part of America. Just not the United States.

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote:
    Fire Truck wrote:
    #pipe wrote:

Love that name.

I could never name my kid after a 1990s sitcom

:<

I always liked the name Io for a girl. The best part would be when people asked how to spell it.

sierracrest.jpg
    There are some great girl names beginning with Io

Like Lonnifer.

EyQGd.jpg
    Actually a lot of Greek mythological names appeal to me. Athena, Io and Callisto are all pretty names.

sierracrest.jpg
    Janson wrote:
    There are some great girl names beginning with Io

Lohan.

edited November 2011
    i o, not L o

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    We were being silly.

You could say you named your kid after a popular website!

Like Ionnifer.

EyQGd.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Ionize

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote:
    Ionize

Iocane

EyQGd.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    godmode wrote: »

It's my middle name

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    lolita

Yes there are some very pretty Greek mythological names

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Jacob is a family name on my mother's side. I have two first cousins, one second cousin, a great grandfather and a great granduncle with the name Jacob, plus a score of others going back a couple hundred years. All of whom predate twilight by some margin.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    How many are werewolves though?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I know what I'm naming my kids

I don't tell people because I don't want people to use them for their own spawn

this happened once; I told my cousin I would name my son Trent if I ever had one

then he knocked up some broad, named the kid Trent

anyway

my personal philosophy regarding names goes as follows:

As a parent, you have an obligation to give your kid a good name. First names should be interesting but not absurd; Jonathan is boring, but Zenobia is too much (though that would be an excellent middle name, as we shall see). You want a name that people are going to remember, but not one they're going to tell stories about to their friends. The world does not need any more people named John or Jennifer.

Examples: Spencer, Warren, Devon, Anya, Lena, Emmanuela (but do her a favor and call her Emma)

Middle names should be absolutely batshit. Nobody uses their middle name unless some form or another requires them to write it down, so it's a license to be completely fucking off-the-wall ridiculous. Danger is the classic but that's too obvious; I recommend going for one of those epic, oldschool names that nobody can be bothered to pronounce on a regular basis, like the aforementioned Zenobia (which has the added bonus of starting with Z, which is arguably the best middle initial), or an obvious historical reference, like Rasputin. Or, just make up a word! Kreltast. I just made that up right now. It's stupid as hell! It's also a conversation piece, and that's the goal here: when your kid is in their twenties, trying to get laid, they'll appreciate this kind of bullshit. Just go crazy, the only way to get this wrong is to give them something boring (for example, my own middle name is Jonathan, which is the name with the least possible amount of creativity).

Examples: Slipper-Bubble, Expostulation, Odysseus, Hypatia, Quintessence, BADICAL

As for last names, keep in mind it's going to be combined with the rest of their name, and ideally you'd like it to have some kind of flow. You don't want to get too poetic, though, so it's generally a good idea to stay away from alliteration (though this can work, at your discretion). Between the two parents, one of you is bound to have a last name that sounds good with whatever first name you've decided on, so just pick whichever sounds better. Don't hyphenate, that shit is obnoxious and your kid will hate you from the time they start school until they're done with it.

If you have multiple kids, don't name them based on a theme. That's just sad. If your kids are named Opal and Jade and Amethyst people will not think you are anything other than tedious.

Some names work for both sexes. Other names technically work for both sexes, but not really: don't name your son Carol, he won't care that it's technically fine when he's still getting laughed at in sixth grade. This rule is much looser for girls; a lot of straight-up male names work for them, especially those archaic early twentieth-century sort of names, like Murray and Percy.

Try to avoid name zeitgeist. Far too many parents named their kids Tyler and Madison and Brittany in the eighties, for example, and in recent years the name Emily has become extremely popular.

Names that are entwined with a certain cultural heritage should be considered off-limits unless that heritage is your own: no German brats named Lorenzo, no Mexican kids named Cecil. If you're Irish, though, name your boy Seamus, by all means. And if you're Russian (or any kind of Eastern European, really), man alive have you got some wonderful names at your disposal.