As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Asthma relief at hand

FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm out of town, at my mom's place, just got back from celebrating at nearby friends. As it often happen these days when I go back to my hometown, I get asthma problems. This time i forgot my pump. SO right now my chest is tight and fuckin sore, and taking breaths is a chore. I want to go to sleep but it's hard to fall asleep in such condition. ANybody know anything that could help me this instant, bring me at least a little relief from this asthma? Something I could try to drink or eat or apply somewhere when a pump is not avaiable?

PSN: PatParadize
Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
Steam Friend code: 45386507
Fireflash on

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just try and breath as deep as you can, hold it in and press outwards with your lungs/chest.

Just calm down, take it easy and wait for it to pass. It's probably risky to fall asleep.

Also, wash your face and hands. Dust won't help.

The Black Hunter on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Risky to fall asleep? I've slept with these problems multiple times. I will go wash my face and hands tho, didnt think about that and probably touched a bunch of stuff.

My breathing has been a little better now since i got back. but I don,t think I'm stressed out about this. It's just very uncomfortable and I can only breath in at about 50% of my usual depth of breaths. (was around 25% when i first wrote the op.

But thanks for the advice I'll try to "meditate" on my breathing.

Fireflash on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeh, just try and breathe slowly in and out. That is what I do when I don't have any meds.

mooshoepork on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Try and stretch your lungs, It will boost your breathing capacity to a more comfortable level.

I have pretty nasty asthma attacks and it has saved me from freaking out numerous times.

The Black Hunter on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Believe it or not, caffiene can actually help if you have nothing else. It basically has the same effect as epinephrine (except much less exaggerated, of course). Try making a big pot of coffee or tea and gulp down a couple of mugs. It should lessen the symptoms a little at least.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If you can buy over the counter medication, you can try Salbutamol in pills or prednisone (be careful with this last one).

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Believe it or not, caffiene can actually help if you have nothing else. It basically has the same effect as epinephrine (except much less exaggerated, of course). Try making a big pot of coffee or tea and gulp down a couple of mugs. It should lessen the symptoms a little at least.

Not great for going to sleep though, is it? :P

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The more you think about it, the longer it is gonna bother you.

Distract yourself.

I have found that taking a good 20 - 30 minute shower and then watching a bit of TV takes my mind off the problem and I can relax that way.

I hear ya about falling asleep with asthma though, it is lame as hell.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fantasma wrote: »
    If you can buy over the counter medication, you can try Salbutamol in pills or prednisone (be careful with this last one).

Isn't prednisone prescription though? I could have sworn it was a steroid and therefor prescription only. That stuff makes me really irratable but it works wonders.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fantasma wrote: »

Isn't prednisone prescription though? I could have sworn it was a steroid and therefor prescription only. That stuff makes me really irratable but it works wonders.

You are right about Prednisone, it is a steroid, that's why I put the warning. I didn't know you needed a prescription to buy it though.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • CirrusCirrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Take a shower. A really hot one, with lots of steam. And then just chill out in the room for a while as it steams up.

Trust me, it's helped my asthma many a time.

Cirrus on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for all the tips people! Crisis is obviously over, but now at least I'll have a few tricks to help myself out.

Fireflash on
  • witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    One additional tip - try to avoid caffeine normally. That way if you're in this situation again, the hot cup of coffee mentioned will help even more.

witch_ie on