As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2011 - Get with the gifting!

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    Multiple smaller packages over-seas served me well the year I got an Aussie.

How small is small? I have three-ish pounds of items to ship across the ocean and I'm wondering if I should split it into two boxes or keep it in one. Most of the weight is taken up by two items (about one pound each).

I tried to keep it as light as possible for the international trip this year.. compared to last year where my Santee's package weighed 14 pounds.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I think this year rather than getting everything shipped to me and then repackaging and sending it on overseas at vast expense, I'll be adopting a two wave system whereby I use Santee's local Amazon for the bulky stuff and send an additional smaller personal package from Englandshire.

I'm still getting something shipped form the US to here just to wrap it and send it back, but it's a small and easily postable thing.

What is saved in packing costs is returned into presents!

The world really needs a better international shipping system. Because it's ridiculous how much it costs right now. At least, it seems that way considering how much it costs for even smaller items.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote:
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    Multiple smaller packages over-seas served me well the year I got an Aussie.

How small is small? I have three-ish pounds of items to ship across the ocean and I'm wondering if I should split it into two boxes or keep it in one. Most of the weight is taken up by two items (about one pound each).

I tried to keep it as light as possible for the international trip this year.. compared to last year where my Santee's package weighed 14 pounds.

I forget what it was, but check the website of whoever you are shipping it through. I remember it being two reasonably sized packages.

• Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    The first part of my gift construction has arrived. Now to fill it with delcious contents. What worries me is that one part of my "gift" can be overcome by brute force, hopefully my Santee won't cheat to get in!

"Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    iMatt wrote:
    I think this year rather than getting everything shipped to me and then repackaging and sending it on overseas at vast expense, I'll be adopting a two wave system whereby I use Santee's local Amazon for the bulky stuff and send an additional smaller personal package from Englandshire.

I'm still getting something shipped form the US to here just to wrap it and send it back, but it's a small and easily postable thing.

What is saved in packing costs is returned into presents!

Exactly what I did!

Indeed. It's also what I'm doing.

;)

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Either my santa is spreading disinformation via proxy, or both my guesses so far are wrong. Counter stalking is hard

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    If your parcel weighs less than 1kg, its significantly cheaper to post from the UK to USA/Canadia - so far every year I've had to repack my parcels to bring them under that, hence my Santee tends to get 3 parcels, all posted on the same day, but arriving several days apart!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote:
    Judge-Z wrote:
    Those koala biscuit thingies everyone is talking about?

They sell them at Wegmans, our kick-ass local grocery store. In fact, seeing them mentioned in this thread made me go get a box for myself. I'm eating them.

Right. Now.

Wegmans is the greatest place on earth.

I am eating 2 wegmans lemon chicken breasts and seasoned green beans right now.

I was supposed to have 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner. But its just too good.

Their $6 meals are the best thing going. If I were single, and didn't have someone to cook for/ to share the cooking, I'd probably get one every single night of the week.

Well, that, and maybe Jim's Steak-out.

So, anyway, as gift purchases begin rolling in, I may have been bit by a slightly, cruel/fun idea for this year. More details/gnashing of Santees teeth may follow.

JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Found the best artsy handmade gift for my santee.

Not made by my hands like, by still it's a custom thingy.

Now to find more gifts!

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    So from what I'm reading, it's cheaper to send 3-4 smaller packages in comparison to one big box that contains all 3-4...

What?!

IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yep, often there's a big jump up in pricing on international shipping once it crosses a certain weight limit.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Darn, I missed the sign-ups this year.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Oh man, when Santa said two packages were coming, he meant today. Awesome!

Picture:
    WP_000202a.jpg

So, Santa has gotten me all of the following:
    V for Vendetta
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Duke Nukem Forever
    A Seattle Sounders scarf WITH POCKETS

Awesome job Santa, this stuff is great! I really appreciate it!

• Options
    A scarf with pockets? The height of luxury!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Holy shit, you guys do saintly stuff super early!

Good presents (by that I mean the scarf, the Dark Knight Returns, and V for Vendetta)!

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Oh dear. Looks like I've made a huuuuge mistake and underestimated how high international shipping prices through the USPS had jumped.

Priority Mail International to [insert santee's country here]:
    Weight not over (lbs.) - Price
    0.5 Pounds - $29.95
    1 Pound - $35.50
    2 Pounds - $40.95
    3 Pounds - $46.40
    4 Pounds - $51.85

Too late now, though. There's no turning back. Nothing's stopping this package from getting to you, Santee! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go weigh all of my packing peanuts individually and pick the lightest ones.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    A scarf with pockets? The height of luxury!

Pockets!
    WP_000204.jpg

• Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    Now you can bring your books anywhere!

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    AaronKI wrote:
    Oh dear. Looks like I've made a huuuuge mistake and underestimated how high international shipping prices through the USPS had jumped.

0.5 Pounds - $29.95
    1 Pound - $35.50
    2 Pounds - $40.95
    3 Pounds - $46.40
    4 Pounds - $51.85

Too late now, though. There's no turning back. Nothing's stopping this package from getting to you, Santee! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go weigh all of my packing peanuts individually and pick the lightest ones.

First Class International is cheaper if your package isn't too big for it.

Edit: Also, use helium-filled balloons as packing material. Negative weight!

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    When it gets to be scarf weather by you I'm curious as to how useful the pockets are. It sounded like a fun idea though. Hope you're still a Sounders fan!

Hope you don't mind the extreme earliness of the gifting, I've got a few work trips coming up. :)

Edit: @dehumanized

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    AaronKI wrote:

0.5 Pounds - $29.95
    1 Pound - $35.50
    2 Pounds - $40.95
    3 Pounds - $46.40
    4 Pounds - $51.85

I'm looking at spending more on shipping to Gaslight than the stuff I'm shipping is worth, which is a bit annoying.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to be a bum and have things ordered and shipped locally for my santee. What with clearing customs in Canada actually means giving your gift to Canadian customs and having it replaced with bleach.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Oh man, when Santa said two packages were coming, he meant today. Awesome!

Picture:
    WP_000202a.jpg

So, Santa has gotten me all of the following:
    V for Vendetta
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Duke Nukem Forever
    A Seattle Sounders scarf WITH POCKETS

Awesome job Santa, this stuff is great! I really appreciate it!

SOUNDERS TIL I DIE!!! (But I guess that's pretty apparent)

Oh, sorry. I mean cool stuff! Yay Santas!

Did international shipping really jump up that much? Last year I shipped to UK and I'm pretty sure I was under $20 for shipping...
    That is so not cool if it's going to cost that much this year...
    Not that I am shipping to that place this year...
    :?
    :rotate:
    :winky:

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    AaronKI wrote:

0.5 Pounds - $29.95
    1 Pound - $35.50
    2 Pounds - $40.95
    3 Pounds - $46.40
    4 Pounds - $51.85

First Class International is cheaper if your package isn't too big for it.

Edit: Also, use helium-filled balloons as packing material. Negative weight!

Well, it worked in Monkey Island 2.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out! Somehow I missed the First Class International chart. I don't know if the box I'm planning to use is considered a "Small packet" (It's 11.75x11.75x5), but it does fit the size requirements and I don't think my package will go over the four pound limit. You may have saved me at least $20. :D

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Wow, nice haul @Dehumanized! Two of my favorite books!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I got a package from Amazon today. For a brief moment I thought that for some reason they had delivered my copy of Skyrim early, although I'm not sure what good that would do me since it still wouldn't unlock until the 11th. I guess I could have looked at the map.

I shook the box though (really is just like being a kid at Christmastime) and it doesn't sound like a game, though, definitely more pieces shaking around in there. So, I am forced to conclude this is the first of the packages Proxy told me to expect from my Santa! Cool! But! I was explicitly instructed not to open it until some others arrive. Awww, not so cool. But! Proxy told me the first package coming was the smallest and least important of what should be arriving, and this box is a solid little parcel, so my anticipation is only heightened!

As further evidence of how amazing my Santa is turning out to be, I will reproduce here the creative/unsettling message I received from Proxy which I mentioned before:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVonyVSQoM&feature=player_embedded
    Three days ago, a present request was sent to Santa by a Proxy Elf for a present Santa couldn't deliver. This request was promptly sent from the North Pole to another, secreter, Santa. Today, still wanted by Gaslight, it survives as parcels in delivery. If you have a wish, if no one else can help, and if they actually get delivered, maybe you can open... The A-Presents.

On their most dangerous and difficult mission yet, the A-Presents are called upon to infiltrate the impregnable Fortress d'Gaslight. While presently they are spread far and wide in hiding, they will converge on the fortress and meet there, arriving over the course of several weeks. Proving that nothing is beyond them, they've hatched a scheme that just might work. It requires that they work in two, coordinated teams.

Team 2 will engage in a frontal assault on the enemy. Beginning any day now, they will drag the encounter out, picking away at his defences.

2A:250px-HMMurdock.jpg
    Captain H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock lives up to his name, employing his legendary piloting skills to race ahead of the rest. It is predicted that he will arrive early, within the next couple of days, be taken out of the helicopter that wraps him, revealing his identity to Gaslight. Hannibal claims that this is "part of the plan", and will be allowed.

2B:250px-TempletonPeck.jpg
    Lieutenant Templeton "Faceman" Peck has been held up in a bedroom somewhere far from Gaslight, preferring the company found within to a frontal assault on Château Gaslight. Hannibal repeated his "part of the plan" comment, but Faceman was later heard to remark that Hannibal was "on the jazz". Whatever this may mean, one thing is clear: Faceman will eventually arrive, and Team 2's frontal assault cannot be considered complete until then.
    Faceman is said to be carrying a token, given to him by that most Secret of Santas. The team have not deciphered its meaning. Perhaps, if you find it, you could learn the identity of the one who hired them for this mission?

2C:250px-HannibalSmith.jpg
    Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith has adopted a non-threatening and unassuming appearance, but do not be fooled: he is a master of disguise. While he may seem small, and his clothing cheap, the entire assault would be for nothing without his presence. Of course, if he were to arrive first, the entire plan would be undone, and the others' identities revealed. This situation would be most undesirable, so we must hope that he can retain his disguise until at least after Murdock has been revealed.

As for team one, well, its objectives are shrouded in mystery.

250px-BABaracus.jpg
    Sergeant B. A. Baracus, as the remaining member of the team, is presumed to be involved, but his fear of flying has flown arrival estimates off, so that nobody is sure exactly when he will arrive.

When he does arrive, though, Torre del Gaslight will surely know of it. "Bountiful Award" Baracus is big, mean, and pities the fool who underestimates his arrival. I will say nothing more.

So, Gaslight. The lines of battle are drawn. Your four horsemen approach. Nothing will save you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKp8mYzsQzo&feature=player_embedded

I really hope you're not an A-Team purist, because I have taken certain liberties, which is to say I've butchered it. I've found nothing about the A-Team while stalking you, so perhaps I'll get away with it.

You know what? I hope you're not an A-Team purist, just because. The world doesn't need A-Team purists.

The A-Team! Who would have come up with this? My Santa, that's who! This is really inspiring me to put more creativity into the selection and presentation of gifts for my Santee.

• Options
    Haha. That's amazing and I can't wait to see how this turns out.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    DawasaurusDawasaurus In a forestRegistered User regular
    A-TEAM. That is a fantastic proxy message!

• Options
    Pemulis wrote:
    When it gets to be scarf weather by you I'm curious as to how useful the pockets are. It sounded like a fun idea though. Hope you're still a Sounders fan!

Hope you don't mind the extreme earliness of the gifting, I've got a few work trips coming up. :)

Edit: @dehumanized

I'm thinking about adding some velcro to one of the pockets, and getting a little metal flask. Should make cold game days that much warmer. You sent some awesome gifts! :)

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Man, its getting SO TOUGH to wait, but I must.

I just can't fully become Santa until after Black Friday.

THATS when I send my gifts. But the anticipation is KILLING ME!

Every year, PA Secret Santa reminds me that it is truely better to give than recieve.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DawasaurusDawasaurus In a forestRegistered User regular
    Well, I've got everything prepared for my Santee. All ready to be sent out. But I'm thinking that maybe I should wait a while. Since it's still SO early. Christmas is what, 46 days away? On the other hand, if I go ahead and send it, then I can just kick back and watch the gift posts roll in. hmm

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Dawasaurus wrote:
    Well, I've got everything prepared for my Santee. All ready to be sent out. But I'm thinking that maybe I should wait a while. Since it's still SO early. Christmas is what, 46 days away? On the other hand, if I go ahead and send it, then I can just kick back and watch the gift posts roll in. hmm

I say send it. You already got your gifts, so it isn't like you are waiting for a sale of some sort. And even if you are, you can always send it later after your Santee thinks it is over.

You never know what circumstances might crop up later to prevent you from sending it out.

Basically, if department stores can do that Christmas creep with their decorations, why can't we? Except Nordstroms.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    yeah I prefer the emergency air drop to the care package (I send out a shitload of packages and carpet bomb my santee's mailbox with them)

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So as far as shipping WITHIN the country, is it cheaper to do one package or multiple? (in the us)

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    So as far as shipping WITHIN the country, is it cheaper to do one package or multiple? (in the us)

Probably about the same.

• Options

Basically the same, until you get up to refrigerator sized boxes, then some carriers have a significant upcharge for oversized boxes. Below that and you'll save money putting all your stuff in one box, as a rule.

• Options
    I can't find a USPS chart of weights and prices for domestic shipping like they do for international... but If the weight of your box is heavy enough to exceed $10 in shipping fees, ask them for a Flate Rate Medium Box (11x8.5x5.5). It ships for $11 domestically as long as it's less than 70 pounds.

If the medium box can't contain your Christmas cheer, the Flate Rate Large is 12x12x5.5 and ships domestically for $15.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    AaronKI wrote:
    I can't find a USPS chart of weights and prices for domestic shipping like they do for international... but If the weight of your box is heavy enough to exceed $10 in shipping fees, ask them for a Flate Rate Medium Box (11x8.5x5.5). It ships for $11 domestically as long as it's less than 70 pounds.

If the medium box can't contain your Christmas cheer, the Flate Rate Large is 12x12x5.5 and ships domestically for $15.

You can request a free pack of flat rate boxes be shipped to you.
    Helps get everything together beforehand :)

Edit: SANTA:
    I have a copy of Skyrim, and AssCreed is preordered. I like ace combat games a lot, and also am looking at call of doody and battlefield. I will refrain from buying anything for the forseeable future, or until thanksgiving steam sale.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    I think I just received another gift from Santa Elkatas. :) Should I open it now or should I wait til Christmas? Or can I justify it by my birthday being this Saturday? P.s--> Patience is a virtue I do not possess.

• Options
    I think I just received another gift from Santa Elkatas. :) Should I open it now or should I wait til Christmas? Or can I justify it by my birthday being this Saturday? P.s--> Patience is a virtue I do not possess.

Now.
    Do it now.
    Do it.
    Now.
    Do.