As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CNBC Republican Debate Thread - 90 Minutes of Not Mentioning Obama's Jobs Bill

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    moderator: Don't you fucking say 9-9-9
    Cain: We'll just see about that

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    here it comes

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He's about to say 999, isn't he?

• Options
    waaait for it

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Cramer: Cain, if you answer with 9-9-9, I will stab you in the fucking eye.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Cain's inner monologue right now: "Don't say 999, don't day 999, don't say 999".
    Also;
    Cain: We will protect investors by protecting investors!

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Cramer: The economy is not an issue. Talk about regulation, fuckass.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Did Cramer just take the side of white collar crime?

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Say it. Say it.

• Options
    Crowd "Hoooray someone finally said a sentence that we understand!"

• Options
    Kana wrote:
    Did Cramer just take the side of white collar crime?

No, he said that white collar crime happened even during the boom years and that you couldn't restore confidence in the markets by improving economic outlooks.

On another note, I find the moderators' blatant disgust with the idiocy presented very refreshing.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    So TV's greatest comedy or greatest tragedy unfolding before us.

Then again those two things go hand in hand don't they.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Wow, perry is just wow. (I only watched the one clip where he failed to mention the third department he'd eliminate)

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I love this

Ron Paul, so adorable in his too-big jacket *pinch*

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Apparently the end is near. Of this debate. But also western civilisation, and certainly the US economy.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Wow, perry is just wow. (I only watched the one clip where he failed to mention the third department he'd eliminate)

Yeah I just watched that clip too. Holy shit.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    And that dude was a FRONTRUNNER.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The Guardian live blog is great.

that is pretty great. one of these days i'll actually watch one of these suckers instead of reading the play by play

• Options
    So Perry's definitely dead in the water now.

Cain remains a popular joke.

Huntsman comes out well, but not well in a way that'll appeal to GOP primary voters.

Gingrich is a troll.

Meh. I dunno.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    gundam470 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

Your sig sums this up perfectly...

holy shit.

also, somebody please be nice to the girl on the other side of the world and find a clip of cramer yelling at cain about 999. I will heart you forever

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    gundam470 wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

Your sig sums this up perfectly...

holy shit.

also, somebody please be nice to the girl on the other side of the world and find a clip of cramer yelling at cain about 999. I will heart you forever
    usually someone puts these things up on youtube after a day or so. You'll probably have to wait.

• Options
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Basically;
    Huntsman - Sane and actually gave intelligent answers, and so will continue to be ignored by the GOP base.
    Romney - Maintains a strong 'default' status by not pooping himself on stage.
    Perry - Forgot that you're not supposed to go full retard.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    What does Rick Perry have against children going to school?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I love how in general the republicans all just say it's all Obama's fault for not fixing problems.

But when it comes to student loans, poor people, housing, medicare, Europe, China, the unemployed and sick people their specific answers all boil down to: Walk it off ya pansy.

• Options
    Bachmann's rambling on the after-show about her tax plan without really saying anything

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Basically;
    Huntsman - Sane and actually gave intelligent answers, and so will continue to be ignored by the GOP base.
    Romney - Maintains a strong 'default' status by not pooping himself on stage.
    Perry - Forgot that you're not supposed to go full retard.

Gingrich - The next in line for anti-Romney status, if only he would shut up and be quieter
    Santorum - Number two in this line, if anyone ever notices him
    Bachmann - Thankful someone else is stinking up the joint
    Cain - Will wish he didn't call Nancy Pelosi "Princess"

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Kana wrote:
    I love how in general the republicans all just say it's all Obama's fault for not fixing problems.

But when it comes to student loans, poor people, housing, medicare, Europe, China, the unemployed and sick people their specific answers all boil down to: Walk it off ya pansy.

Obama hasn't been fixing problems, the stuff you've listed are challenges.

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Bye rick

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Kana wrote:

Haha. If you listen closely, you can hear someone in the background at around 48 seconds muttering "Oh my g---" in an exasperated sort of way.

I wonder if that was the camera man, or Perry's campaign manager?

Edit: I would say if the GOP wants a candidate that can actually have a hope in hell of winning at this point, that Huntsman is the guy they're going to want to run. The rest are too scummy/crazy/incompetent to actually get moderate votes, and openly show their scumminess/craziness/incompetency on stage constantly.

Really, even if the (crazy, hate filled, religious nutcase laden) far right wing base has control over the party at this point, all Huntsman has to do is keep his mouth shut, don't espouse any crazy views, and hope noone digs up any dirt on him, and he'll have something very lucrative coming his way in the future.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    that's pretty amazing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    oops!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2011
    I like that Perry was given an out, and he could have easily just said "EPA" as Paul suggested. But no, he decided to go ahead and continue looking stupid.

I think that's the really magical part regarding the whole thing.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I like that Perry was given an out, and he could have easily just said "EPA" as Paul suggested. But no, he decided to go ahead and continue looking stupid.

I think that's what is really magical about the whole thing.

The sad thing is, these people are really not all that competent. This isn't surprising, but a depressing number of people look at debates like these, and think "Wow, he's so intelligent!".

Perry was, like politicans have been for many decades in the past, given a briefing on talking points, potential answers that were cooked up by his staff to be the most aesthetically appealing to the public, and pretty much told what to say to get a good reaction.

There is very little, if any, historically (For the past few decades, at least. The advent of mass media has made it easier to just blanket the airwaves, then run on anything resembling decent policy.), campaign policy actually discussed in debates like these. These debates are just to get the base riled up, and ready to vote against "Them libural democrats!",

He couldn't even do that, even when given a clear out (Albeit one that would have had a number of folks calling for his head. The EPA? SERIOUSLY?) by a third party.

Archonex on
  • Options
    And that's kinda the difference you see with these guys. Huntsman seems like he's actually intelligent and understands the issues, but he's not very good at selling himself.

Romney seems like he understands the issues and then pretends not to for the sake of the base.
    Gingrich sorta understands the issues, but nowhere near as well as he THINKS he does.
    Cain just doesn't really give a shit, he wants his fox news gig already.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    I will be occupying the free speech zone shortly.

Look for me and my potential sign that says "Where is our American Dream?" (hopefully I get a chance to make it once I'm there). I will look like this:
    Image11092011154532.jpg

The rally was pretty swell, but it was fucking cold and there was really no one around to hear us or even feel our presence.

I was never interviewed for media, but the people on each side of me were, and one girl was actually filmed right next to me while I chanted, while another was briefly profiled on HuffPo (she was anon, so she caught their eye). And, come to think of it, a third dude next to me got an even bigger HuffPo profile, but I haven't found it online yet.

A bunch of bloggers and the official OU press shot dude took photos of me with my sign, though. I hope to find some images of me floating around on the web early tomorrow.

If anyone sees me out there on them internets, please let me know. I might write up a summary of the occupation a little later; some cool/crazy/weird stuff happened early on, but we petered out really hard right as the debate started, and we never recovered very much.

Also, I am disheartened that I stayed at the protest the whole time, because it sounds like the debate was just as hilarious as the last few.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I wish nominees were allowed/forced to talk to one another during debates. You'd get a better sense of what their positions are and how intelligent they are and whatnot.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Bachmann's rambling on the after-show about her tax plan without really saying anything
    well, to be fair, she is a politician

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:

I think that's the really magical part regarding the whole thing.

Paul also correcting him that there were 5 agencies, and Perry sticking to 3.

Been watching the rerun of this since I missed most of it during the initial airing. The entertainment value of these debates is off the charts, but holy hell. Huntsman I kinda/sorta/not really feel a bit sorry for, and Paul is the only one I can manage any ounce of respect for because I know he believes and wants to do exactly what he talks about and sticks by it (don't really agree with any of it, though).

Next debate on the 12th could be entertaining depending on the lineup, but the one on the 19th has the potential to be the most bat-fucking-shit-insane debate yet.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I keep expecting huntsman to just flip his shit in these things and start yelling at people for being ridiculous, just because he seems to be a relatively normal person who has somewhat reasonable positions.

All this stuff is really just making Romney look great, though. He's going to come out of the primary looking like the last reasonable man in the republican party, especially since none of the other candidates are really in a position to challenge him on his laughable stance(s) on abortion and health care.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget