As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official I hate [Final Fantasy]Thread. Unlike 13-2, has an ending.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Man, UV. Why you gotta come in here with one absolutely terrible opinion about IX, and then follow it up with something so right regarding X-2?

Playing with my emotions, man.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    FFX-2 really wasn't that fun....

Seriously, I don't know why people love it so much. It has its moments, but it also had some glaring flaws.

Flaws that I've yet to be convinced won't be repeated in FFXIII-2.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    I never understood how VII's graphics were considered 'good for the time'. I suppose battles were ok but everything else was pretty horrible.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I'd like a few final fantasies that were continuous, but over a long gap in time, so you get stuff like the hero of the previous game is now a really old villain or whatever with minimal overlap

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote:
    I never understood how VII's graphics were considered 'good for the time'. I suppose battles were ok but everything else was pretty horrible.

Take a look at most games that were released at the time.

The only ones that came close to measuring up were Resident Evil 2 and Ocarina of Time.

MGS was after Ocarina, right?

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote:

No, they were quite good. I guess the world character models were weird and blocky but to me it seemed like partially a stylistic choice as a holdover from the 2d games where characters were kind of always short and deformed.

The prerendered backgrounds were generally really nice and honestly still do look pretty nice in a lot of sets.

It's very easy to look at it now and say it looks like shit with the games we get today.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I guess that depends on your definition of 'quite good'. It wasn't up to par with some of the n64 modeling, for certain. It was good for early PSX 3d, but none of the PSX 3d is very good. Though Tobal and Bushido Blade at least looked far better, but different genre so thats to be expected. In the end I'd rather look at, say, Symphony of the Night or Mario RPG than FFVII if we're talking about graphically pleasing games.

It also began the questionable trend of FF games turning into more of a cinematic experience than gameplay one. So then you have to consider how much that was appreciated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I was in awe of FFVII's graphics when it hit

The good kind of awe

• Options
    I guess I played Myst and such before, so pre-rendered backgrounds weren't as impressive to me. Probably my loss, I can see how they would have been awesome coming from a pure console gamer or something. Kind of makes me sad in retrospect!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's all personal preference and my preference (even at the time) was that the game was an eyesore. It was really annoying too since the FMV commercials made it look pretty good.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    I have to admit, I loved the summon animations though. Oh god, those were so cool back then. Go Titan! Go Bahamut!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The only thing that was outright bad was the goofy looking map models with the cinderblock hands. Everything else, from the backgrounds to the in-battle models, looked frickin' gorgeous at the time.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    From a technical standing, perhaps. Artistically though it was bankrupt.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    You're really gonna have to expand on that. Midgar is imo the best realised location in any FF and the world itself is very coherent with a logical flow as to how one zone connects with another (contrast with 13, which while gorgeous is completely haphazard in its design).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    What about the Chocobo games, huh? What are they, KFC? Okay, granted they were pretty much supposed to be light fare and not to be taken seriously at all, but there's still plenty to hate about them! For example, why are those darn dungeon crawlers so grindey and dungeon crawler-ey?

. . .

. . . Okay, I got nothin' really.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    What about the Chocobo games, huh? What are they, KFC? Okay, granted they were pretty much supposed to be light fare and not to be taken seriously at all, but there's still plenty to hate about them! For example, why are those darn dungeon crawlers so grindey and dungeon crawler-ey?

. . .

. . . Okay, I got nothin' really.

I've probably played them all but its hard to pick out one to put in the OP. If I had I'd probably go something like...

I hate Chocobo Dungeon Wii because it puts all other FF Soundtracks to shame.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I hate 13. Lightning was the only character I didn't want to strangle and I did what everyone else did and stopped playing on Pulse. The first one I didn't finish.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    For me, X-2 is easy to explain....I enjoyed the combat system vastly and skill point mechanic more than X's. Since I didn't really care for either game's story, and actively dislike many of both games' characters, it's basically no contest. Obviously not the case for everyone.
    Dritz wrote:

Take a look at most games that were released at the time.

The only ones that came close to measuring up were Resident Evil 2 and Ocarina of Time.

MGS was after Ocarina, right?

You can't do this without remembering what other PS1 games were out at the same time. Additionally, 2D setpieces and environs, while not technologically impressive, I guess, were still "good at the time".

• Options
    MGS was after Ocarina.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    I hate 13. Lightning was the only character I didn't want to strangle and I did what everyone else did and stopped playing on Pulse. The first one I didn't finish.

What'd Fang and Sazh do to make you want to strangle them? Add Lightning to that duo and you've got my favourite characters in the game.

Unlike most, I didn't really hate Vanille though. Mostly because she's essentially the same character as Selphie, Rikku and the multitude of other young perky pre-pubescent girls in the series. It's a trope I've gotten used to at this point. My biggest complaint about her was her crappy voice actor. You'd think a professional voice actor would be able to stay in the same accent throughout their performance but nope, she kept switching between an Australian accent and an American one (because the VA is an Aussie who has been living in the US for years). It's pretty irritating and hard to listen to.

As for the other two, Hope was good for the last third of the game but intolerable for the rest. While Snow was the unlikeable village idiot.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:

What'd Fang and Sazh do to make you want to strangle them? Add Lightning to that duo and you've got my favourite characters in the game.

Unlike most, I didn't really hate Vanille though. Mostly because she's essentially the same character as Selphie, Rikku and the multitude of other young perky pre-pubescent girls in the series. It's a trope I've gotten used to at this point. My biggest complaint about her was her crappy voice actor. You'd think a professional voice actor would be able to stay in the same accent throughout their performance but nope, she kept switching between an Australian accent and an American one (because the VA is an Aussie who has been living in the US for years). It's pretty irritating and hard to listen to.

As for the other two, Hope was good for the last third of the game but intolerable for the rest. While Snow was the unlikeable village idiot.

Her accent falters because she's bad at keeping her cover.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I actually don't hate Vanille, though I wouldn't necessarily say I liked her. Fang left a more positive impression.

Hope and Snow were probably the greatest obstacles to me actually finishing the game.

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    The only thing I really disliked about XIII was Space Pope Out of Nowhere.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Vanille's swapping accent, as someone just said, it completely intentional.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I love FFVII and FFX and fuck everybody.

EDIT: Also, in XIII, I liked Sazh. And Lightning, I guess. But man, every other character was just so bad.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    None of the characters in 13 left a lasting impression on me either way. Hope was my favourite for being a refreshing example of how a 14 year old would actually act when thrust into a horrific situation, and I like Fang because she does ridiculous damage. The most interesting thing about Lightning is that she shares a VA with Liara from Mass Effect.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Hope's story in XIII actually had great potential. But it relied entirely on Snow being a good character. If any player actually cared even remotely about Snow, then Hope's story was gonna be a horrible tragedy all the way through, and the player would be so torn over him.

But whoops, Snow is terrible, who gives a shit.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    No one ever talks about FFIX because it's nearly perfect.

• Options
    That's the monkey sword one?

Yah, I like IX, but it feels so small scale compared to the others.

If Final Fantasy VII is an epic, IX is a yarn.

Maybe a better told yarn.

But it ain't no epic, no sir.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    I hate FFX because it is a blatant plagiarism of Grandia II. I'll never understand how they got away with that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    McAllen wrote:
    No one ever talks about FFIX because it's nearly perfect.

Zidane is THE MAN. My favorite JRPG hero among heroes. He is the opposite of the others who act like oblivious assholes whilst females throw their vaginas at him. Zidane is the one pursuing a female, yet she's not the center of his universe. He cares a lot about the whole party, Vivi especially, who is a fantastic character as well.

Another example is Ryudo from Grandia 2. He's probably the only hero who is caught between two girls and actually acknowledge it. He goes to one girl and actually says "I'm sorry I know I'm juggling two chicks and this isn't fair for either of you." What was Cloud doing? Staring into space.

Wait, how did FFX copy Grandia 2? The whole "Not Catholic Church that's secretly evil" is not a new thing. Japan, and East Asia in general, are not religeous and dislike chrisitanity.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Cantido wrote:
    Another example is Ryudo from Grandia 2. He's probably the only hero who is caught between two girls and actually acknowledge it. He goes to one girl and actually says "I'm sorry I know I'm juggling two chicks and this isn't fair for either of you." What was Cloud doing? Staring into space.

Wait, how did FFX copy Grandia 2? The whole "Not Catholic Church that's secretly evil" is not a new thing. Japan, and East Asia in general, are not religeous and dislike chrisitanity.

That's why Yuffie is the best VII girl. She's the only one who doesn't want to ride Cloud's buster. And if she did, it was just a ploy.

And I believe he means the whole "everything hinges on shit that happened 1000 years ago" part. But that was sort of a secret in FFX, I guess. And the only actual twist there being
    Tidus is an aeon
    rather than the whole 1000 years ago part. Since we were told that at the very start and why would it be a surprise?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    Man, I need to go back and play 13 again. I really can't explain my love for that game.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Final Fantasy is a long standing JRPG series which started in 1987. Yes it has a stupid name that everyone knows the story about. Yes it has a lot of genre cliches. Yes the first game totally rips off D&D which totally ripped off Tolkien who totally ripped off a bunch of norse and celtic myths. Swords, sorcery, crystals, knights, mages, dragons, chocobos, moogles, men named Cid.

Don't forget Miyazaki. Watch Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky for every JRPG ever.
    I have to admit, I loved the summon animations though. Oh god, those were so cool back then. Go Titan! Go Bahamut!

And then in the next one, go Eden!

any time now.

fuck it I'm gonna play Spyro.

EDIT: Sorry guys I forgot that individual Final Fantasies have their own sequels now

naengwen on
  • Options
    FF1 does borrow a scenario from Castle in the Sky.

• Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    I sometimes think I'm the only person who actually enjoys every FF game. I mean, sure, some are better than others, and none of them are perfect, but with the exception of some of the spin-off games (mostly the Chocobo series) or the MMOs, I can't really think of one I haven't played through at least twice.

Except II.

Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    I could forgive a lot about them if they could just manage to complete a coherent storyline, but they all seem to fall apart in the third act.

I don't think I have completely understood an FF plot since FFVI (granted, I haven't played 8 or 9 so they could be narrative masterpieces for all I know).

• Options
    Simon Moon wrote:
    I sometimes think I'm the only person who actually enjoys every FF game. I mean, sure, some are better than others, and none of them are perfect, but with the exception of some of the spin-off games (mostly the Chocobo series) or the MMOs, I can't really think of one I haven't played through at least twice.

Except II.

What?

Chocobo series?

And yeah, there isn't an FF game I didn't enjoy while playing.

I rag on XIII all the time, but it didn't leave my 360 for a month.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Not even X?

X honestly feels like they sat down and penned the thing in its entirety out first. Rather than just winging it for the majority of the production, then running out of money and forcing everybody into a rocking chair at the end.

Whether you like the story is another thing. But I felt like it's one of the most cohesive and understandable plots out there.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Not even X?

X honestly feels like they sat down and penned the thing in its entirety out first. Rather than just winging it for the majority of the production, then running out of money and forcing everybody into a rocking chair at the end.

Whether you like the story is another thing. But I felt like it's one of the most cohesive and understandable plots out there.

Sin gasses you and you wake up in a desert