As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] YOU WILL BE JAILED OR BANNED FOR POSTING SPOILERS UNTAGGED

• HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Hewn wrote:
    I'm starting to question some of my perk choices. Things I was using at level 10 aren't what I'm using as I get closer to level 30. Doh.

Sorry for the noob question, but is there a way to reset this on the PC and does it adversely affect the game in any way?

Silly me, I found it. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Console_Commands_(Skyrim)

For removing and adding perks:
    player.addperk <variable> - ( 000581e7 for Augmented Flames level 1 ; "player.addperk 000581e7")
    (To find the perk id type 'help "perk name" 4', then add each level in order). Make sure to put double quotes around perks with a space in them.

and

player.removeperk <variable> - Removes a learned perk; does not return the point used to gain the perk. Useful for manually respec-ing your character if you have misallocated a perk.

So I read using the command prompts disables achievements for that session, but saving and reloading makes it all okay?

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Little bit of an in joke: I work in an office full of Sharepoint developers (and Sharepoint is a bitch). Currently a lot of the office is playing Skyrim...

...and we found a place in Skyrim called Shearpoint. Its inhabitants are in for a rough day.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote:
    Man, sneaking is a bitch! I never manage to get close enough to kill people. I haven't got the perk that removes the movement speed penalty though so I'm hoping it will help.

I found sneaking nearly impossible in most practical situations until I acquired some +sneak% items. One of which I found by complete chance on a vendor, was a good feeling :D

• RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    Little bit of an in joke: I work in an office full of Sharepoint developers (and Sharepoint is a bitch). Currently a lot of the office is playing Skyrim...

...and we found a place in Skyrim called Shearpoint. Its inhabitants are in for a rough day.

Hahaha... oh if only you knew.

• TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote:

uh, out of all the places you could have undertaken a mission to ruin days at, shearpoint has to be one of the worst for two distinct reasons. I hope your plan doesn't backfire. :)

• VicVic Registered User regular
    One question, how viable is sneaking in heavy armor? The wiki page is not very informative on this, I would assume that the no weight perk in heavy armor and reduced armor clank per in sneak would help but I am not sure if that will be enough.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The inability to exit a conversation is one of the most hilarious and annoying bugs.

This game really needs to allow the player to sort through potions by type rather than strength.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited November 2011
    Torgairon wrote:
    Lanrutcon wrote:

uh, out of all the places you could have undertaken a mission to ruin days at, shearpoint has to be one of the worst for two distinct reasons. I hope your plan doesn't backfire. :)

I have confidence in my personal mission as I am playing the snipiest lvl 27 ranger elf ever. However, my colleagues are somewhere between level 2 and 14. I can't comment on their chances of success when they get there.

Vic: sneaking in heavy armor is completely viable, once you got most of the sneak talents. The Steed stone also helps.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    ive reached a weird state in skyrim. My 27 Redguard warrior is basically an unstoppable lawnmower and this whole game is grass. I completed the first 2 main quests and have been trying to cover as many sidequests before moving on because I am a content tourist

But its gotten BORING

Seriously everything dies in 2-4 hits and doesn't do damage. Dragon fights involve me holding up my shield and taking so little elemental damage from my items and block perk that I regen the health before he fires again. I currently do piddly damage with my bow so I have to wait for him to land before he's toast but even thats going to change soon because I'm forcing myself to use the bow recently

• VicVic Registered User regular
    ive reached a weird state in skyrim. My 27 Redguard warrior is basically an unstoppable lawnmower and this whole game is grass. I completed the first 2 main quests and have been trying to cover as many sidequests before moving on because I am a content tourist

But its gotten BORING

Seriously everything dies in 2-4 hits and doesn't do damage. Dragon fights involve me holding up my shield and taking so little elemental damage from my items and block perk that I regen the health before he fires again. I currently do piddly damage with my bow so I have to wait for him to land before he's toast but even thats going to change soon because I'm forcing myself to use the bow recently

The easy solution would seem to be increasing the game difficulty.

edited November 2011
    oh fucks sake I forgot bethesda has that

I was also secretly asking if there are places with hiked up badass monsters later on in the story

TIFunkalicious on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    I recently upgraded my gear. Elven bow and dual daggers, my bow does 35 base damage not counting arrows and my daggers do 23 plus the 30x backstab bonus with gloves and the dagger perk. I am unstoppable!

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    Demiurge wrote:
    I recently upgraded my gear. Elven bow and dual daggers, my bow does 35 base damage not counting arrows and my daggers do 23 plus the 30x backstab bonus with gloves and the dagger perk. I am unstoppable!

Which gloves?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Dark brotherhood gloves double backstab damage. This stacks with the 15x dagger combo to make it 30x damage on a backstab. If I do a regular hit I do 690 damage. If I do a power attack I do more than a thousand. I basically haven't found anything I can't oneshot so far.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    Demiurge wrote:
    Dark brotherhood gloves double backstab damage. This stacks with the 15x dagger combo to make it 30x damage on a backstab. If I do a regular hit I do 690 damage. If I do a power attack I do more than a thousand. I basically haven't found anything I can't oneshot so far.

Do me a favor: test it against a giant please. I can three shot giants with a bow, and I'm curious about dagger abuse.

Capture.jpg~original
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    I just levelled up three times in two minutes by pickpocketing everyone in Solitude. Do the enemies get stronger no matter what, or do they take into account that I can only steal them to death?

hadoken wrote:
    I just levelled up three times in two minutes by pickpocketing everyone in Solitude. Do the enemies get stronger no matter what, or do they take into account that I can only steal them to death?

Alas, everything levels with you, despite what skills you are raising. But you should be rich now and can use that money to buy your way to better combat skills via trainer.

Hewn wrote:
    hadoken wrote:

Alas, everything levels with you, despite what skills you are raising. But you should be rich now and can use that money to buy your way to better combat skills via trainer.

and steal back your money :D

EH28YFo.jpg
    edited November 2011
    I turned the difficulty up to max and things are a bit more in line now. Not blocking hurts like it used to but the amount of hits enemies take is kinda annoying

It makes things difficult sure but I wish combat was just a bit more brutal, lower health and more damage on both sides making proper block really important. But I guess that would make dual wielding very very difficult

Tanky warrior is built for slower combat in any game you play so it is what it is, I think I'll be finishing the main quest and starting new characters with a bit more flair to pick up the sidequests I'm leaving behind

TIFunkalicious on
    Unlocking dragon shouts:
    Are the locations of specific words decided on the fly, or are they set in stone? I was specifically wondering whether anyone has managed to unlock the second word of a shout without unlocking the first.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Pretty sure you always find the first word of a shout first.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    I turned the difficulty up to max and things are a bit more in line now. Not blocking hurts like it used to but the amount of hits enemies take is kinda annoying

It makes things difficult sure but I wish combat was just a bit more brutal, lower health and more damage on both sides making proper block really important. But I guess that would make dual wielding very very difficult

Tanky warrior is built for slower combat in any game you play so it is what it is, I think I'll be finishing the main quest and starting new characters with a bit more flair to pick up the sidequests I'm leaving behind

A way around the game becoming easy is to put less emphasis into training your combat. My character is kind of a mess right now with what skills are leveled and where perks ended up. (Why I asked earlier about resetting perks)

But the advantage of this is that combat ranges from moderately easy to very hard. I end up reloading scenarios several times because my guy simply can't take any hits (light armor) and has no points in block (dual wield). Also my restoration is atrocious and healing myself in combat is almost impossible without tons of healing potions. Luckily, I am an alchemist! I have to plot out each encounter or else I'm toast. It's frustrating when situations call for brute strength (and this game seems to heavily favor shield use), but part of the fun is feeling the world is legitimately dangerous.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Really can't wait till the shitty performance in cities like Whiterun and Solitude gets patched up. I'm running at 60fps maxed everywhere except for when I'm in those 2 places, then it plummets to like 25.

edited November 2011
    Hewn wrote:

A way around the game becoming easy is to put less emphasis into training your combat. My character is kind of a mess right now with what skills are leveled and where perks ended up. (Why I asked earlier about resetting perks)

But the advantage of this is that combat ranges from moderately easy to very hard. I end up reloading scenarios several times because my guy simply can't take any hits (light armor) and has no points in block (dual wield). Also my restoration is atrocious and healing myself in combat is almost impossible without tons of healing potions. Luckily, I am an alchemist! I have to plot out each encounter or else I'm toast. It's frustrating when situations call for brute strength (and this game seems to heavily favor shield use), but part of the fun is feeling the world is legitimately dangerous.

I'm having the same problem with a similar build (dual wielding rogue without magic) and I'm going to start building up my enchanting skill to give me more of an edge in combat. The arcane blacksmith perk is pretty useful too, and it only requires two perks and 60 points in blacksmithing.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    The best thing is leveling up through random books that give you conjuration/enchanting/alchemy/whatever or selling things and leveling your speech, when I am a two hander orc berserker in light armor whose entire shtick is supposed to be "Me orc, me do what told and me smaaaaaash".

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Master difficulty is pretty tough. Easy to get one or two-shotted from strong enemies.

But if you play Mount & Blade with full damage especially with mods like Prophesy of Pendor, it's sorta the same thing.

Also, I'm confused about the Skyrim installation:

1) It never asked me for the key on my case (how did it know my key? Was it burned onto my disc and so every disc is unique?)
    2) I wanted to install it on a laptop and my Steam there didn't have it in my available games list
    3) I tried to activate the key on Steam and that didn't work either
    4) Installing it again via the disc seemed to work.

What's going on?

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited November 2011
    Klyka wrote:
    The best thing is leveling up through random books that give you conjuration/enchanting/alchemy/whatever or selling things and leveling your speech, when I am a two hander orc berserker in light armor whose entire shtick is supposed to be "Me orc, me do what told and me smaaaaaash".

I make a point to read every book I see.

I may have a problem.

also a very well stocked library at Honeyside

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    Taranis wrote:
    I'm having the same problem with a similar build (dual wielding rogue without magic) and I'm going to start building up my enchanting skill to give me more of an edge in combat. The arcane blacksmith perk is pretty useful too, and it only requires two perks and 60 points in blacksmithing.

If more than 2 guys rush me, I have a "backup shield" I use. Even with almost no block skill, it dramatically reduces the hits I take and gives me a fighting chance. It's annoying that dual wield, even with perks, is impossible for me in that scenario. But shield use, with almost no skill points or perks, is a viable route. Oh well. That's the nature of these "do whatever you want" games.
    Klyka wrote:

This is part of my combat problem. Early in the game I got interested in alchemy. And lockpicking. And speech. And I just did all kinds of stuff having fun. Well, 25 levels later and with most of my skills under 50... whoooopppsss. It's an open world, but you have to remember it's still a game that has rules.

But I overcome most combat issues by sneak being so easy. I'm only like 60 sneak and I'm practically invisible unless they are in front of me in broad daylight. Sometimes they randomly catch me for no obvious reason, but mostly I'm shocked when I hide behind a rock half the size of my body and they walk right by. And sneak with archery is pretty easy to exploit.

Taranis wrote:
    I make a point to read every book I see.

I may have a problem.

also a very well stocked library at Honeyside

I wish there was a "share your library" feature. I've collected books that are relevant to my character. Books on thieving. Books on archery. Books on werewolves *wink wink*.

I don't know why I'm collecting them. Nobody else can see it. They sit in my virtual house, no more real or useful than when I first found them in a random dungeon. But it makes me feel better.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Detailed Gamasutra Blog Article about the problems with the User Interface

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EricSchwarz/20111114/8890/User_Interface_Analysis_Skyrim.php

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to toggle on damage display? never checked

obF2Wuw.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Is there a way to toggle on damage display? never checked

I kinda want those floating damage numbers from Borderlands.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited November 2011
    Hewn wrote:
    Taranis wrote:

If more than 2 guys rush me, I have a "backup shield" I use. Even with almost no block skill, it dramatically reduces the hits I take and gives me a fighting chance. It's annoying that dual wield, even with perks, is impossible for me in that scenario. But shield use, with almost no skill points or perks, is a viable route. Oh well. That's the nature of these "do whatever you want" games.

Dual wielding is completely viable when you can maintain a stealthy approach. Mark for Death+Dual Wielding Power attacks+Stamina Potions have allowed me take out a group of Dremora, and I've only gotten half of the dual wielding perks. You just can't go toe to toe with anyone that has a reasonably deep pool of health for very long. You have to run away, drink health potions, and repoison your weapons occasionally mid-battle.

With arcane blacksmith you can upgrade all of your magic weapons and armor. It makes a big difference. Enchanting will allow you to buff stamina, one-handed, and elemental resistances.

You need to find a companion to tank damage for you while you spam dual weapon power attacks and stamina potions. It's like day and night when I have a companion to tank damage for me. I also don't think that companions even factor into whether or not enemies can detect you, so you should still be able to one-hit-backstab most enemies to whittle down their numbers before they all go aggro.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    C2B wrote:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EricSchwarz/20111114/8890/User_Interface_Analysis_Skyrim.php

I smell a whole lot of senseless bitching.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    C2B wrote:

Yeah, the UI here is fucking atrocious. And to make it even worse, when you rebind keys it only effects movement and not menu buttons. The game is great but how you are forced to interact with it is craptastic.

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote:
    Fast travel is for pussies.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OmN2CNISAM&feature=player_embedded#!

Horses can fly, but not land on uneven terrain.

Okay.

EH28YFo.jpg
    edited November 2011
    Arthil wrote:
    C2B wrote:

I smell a whole lot of senseless bitching.
    Movitz wrote:
    C2B wrote:

Yeah, the UI here is fucking atrocious. And to make it even worse, when you rebind keys it only effects movement and not menu buttons. The game is great but how you are forced to interact with it is craptastic.

The UI is very bad. Initially it made me think the whole game was going to be terrible, but the rest of it is very good. It's particularly annoying because: a) It's really obvious how terrible it is and it would be very easy to fix it, and b) It is so much worse than the interfaces in Morrowind and Oblivion.

I've heard that the UI is written in Flash (of all things? can that be right?). Hopefully that will make it more (rather than less) easy for mods to replace it with something sensible.

Case in point for the UI being bad: I typically have NO IDEA what level I am in all of the skills because it's so hard to check and compare them.

RadioElectric on
    Taranis wrote:
    You need to find a companion to tank damage for you while you spam dual weapon power attacks and stamina potions. It's like day and night when I have a companion to tank damage for me. I also don't think that companions even factor into whether or not enemies can detect you, so you should still be able to one-hit-backstab most enemies to whittle down their numbers before they all go aggro.

You're 100% right on this one. But I kind of hate companions in these games. Still, when I do bring one out, it helps a ton.

The skill screen STILL, after over 30 hours of play, gives me issues. It looks pretty...but really. While I love the game, it's really easy to criticize the UI.

Capture.jpg~original
This discussion has been closed.