As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

These Police will serve us a peppery stew...

• Options
    E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Pharezon wrote:
    godmode wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Goose! wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    I understand police doing their jobs and getting rid of trespassers.

I'm against excessive force. Fuck the guys who pull sadistic bullshit in the name of justice.

I think if there weren't stories of police officers being injured (which there are) and an EMT being attacked (which there was), I would agree that this is excessive.

But I think once things started going south, police are not going to take any chances.

Ah, yes. Collective punishment.

Almost as fun as collective condemning!

The abuses and excesses that are carried out by the system of corruption and deception are more important than any single good example of a police officer you bring up. No one gives a shit about your good cop examples because the bad cops speak of a larger, systemic problem that lets abuse like this happen.

Who said it has to be that way? You are in full control of how you perceive things, you're just choosing to call them all bad instead of recognizing the good they do too. It's just such a mind-blowingly ignorant way of thinking.

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any big name media (ie: NYT, Washington Post) coverage of anti-OWS police brutality? I shouldn't be so optimistic but it'd be nice to see that they weren't completely ignoring abuse this widespread and violent

Times like this make me glad traditional news is dying, honestly

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Fuck the [corrupt and abusive members of the] police.

As much as I'd like to play fair with that, it unfortunately encompasses the majority of officers at this point.

I would really hope to see one team of police officers arresting another for their crimes.

See, that second statement is just silly without anything supporting it.

I thought political threads were done in SE anyway

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote:

I think the idea is to take breaks from having the same debates incessantly, but it's inevitable that there's going to be discussion of major current events like national protest movements and the upcoming election season and all that. The election threads can probably wait until there's an actual Republican candidate though.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Fuck the [corrupt and abusive members of the] police.

As much as I'd like to play fair with that, it unfortunately encompasses the majority of officers at this point.

I would really hope to see one team of police officers arresting another for their crimes.

See, that second statement is just silly without anything supporting it.

I don't see anyone in the police departments, aside from a couple of individuals, standing up for what's right. Since those individuals were willing to, others must right? Unless the rest are all okay with this. Apathy and inaction do not help solve a problem. I don't believe in the "ignore it and it'll go away" thing, and people need to know that taking the negative consequences is part of what standing up for what's right is all about. Afraid to lose their jobs? Understandable, but maybe if things work out for the better they can get those jobs back. Or a better job.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    godmode wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    godmode wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Goose! wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

I'm against excessive force. Fuck the guys who pull sadistic bullshit in the name of justice.

I think if there weren't stories of police officers being injured (which there are) and an EMT being attacked (which there was), I would agree that this is excessive.

But I think once things started going south, police are not going to take any chances.

The abuses and excesses that are carried out by the system of corruption and deception are more important than any single good example of a police officer you bring up. No one gives a shit about your good cop examples because the bad cops speak of a larger, systemic problem that lets abuse like this happen.

Who said it has to be that way? You are in full control of how you perceive things, you're just choosing to call them all bad instead of recognizing the good they do too. It's just such a mind-blowingly ignorant way of thinking.

I think you're missing my point. It's a shitty system!

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    godmode wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    godmode wrote:
    Pharezon wrote:
    Goose! wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

I tend to agree with him, though

The number of shitty, abusive cops who commit needless excess in the line of duty without consequence is extremely troubling, regardless of the ratio to good cops

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    i can't follow this kind of stuff without wanting to throw up

which mostly works out in my favor but i also tend to miss the stories of the good cops coming forward to condemn this kind of action by their colleagues

so if someone can just link me to where that happened that would be great

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Looks like Ray Lewis finally got his just deserts.

RJOQV.jpg

rFPgD.jpg

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The OWS thread is like,right over there.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Admittedly people might think it's a Mass Effect thread.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'll update the title when I get home. On my phone right now.

• Options
    Magus` wrote:
    Admittedly people might think it's a Mass Effect thread.
    Weaver wrote:

Yeah, I actually thought that was a ME3 thread, and was curious as to why there were two of them going on.

Guess I should have investigated further.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    change the title to "Occupy My Butt"

• Options
    I only occupy the finest of bleached butts.

It's got to be whiter than an albino white person, too.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    change the title to "Occupy My Butt"

http://hotword.dictionary.com/occupy/

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote:

I'm waiting...

Love me.
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    that is outrageous. the officer doesn't have his visor down, he could get some pepper spray in his face like that, and that stuff stings

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Wait...with minimal effort those air soft guns can be converted to machine guns?

Uh...what?!

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    microbullets

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    Looks like Ray Lewis finally got his just deserts.

RJOQV.jpg

rFPgD.jpg

i was about to say something about "i KNEW he stabbed that guy" and then i realized you meant some old white asshole and i lost interest

• Options
    That's the joke I was going for.

snfffff

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, you go ahead and put a real round into a fake gun from Taiwan and we will be sure to call a good mortician for you.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Yeah, you go ahead and put a real round into a fake gun from Taiwan and we will be sure to call a good mortician for you.

More like "oh shit I just snagged a shipment of toy guns, I better justify myself and my job anyway I can"

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

how does someone get a job at the ATF without knowing anything about firearms?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    see macro, i knew you were alright. i don't care what anybody else says

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    this thread is clearly a failure to communicate

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Hey, I can post Youtube videos too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6WoghKZ8Q

e: I really wish I could find more videos of the good cops, but as was stated earlier, no one gives a shit about that. Everyone just wants to see them fucking up.

godmode on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    from my experience playing SS13, if you give a group of untrained people cop power, they'll do what the cops are doing right now

These cops haven't been trained properly and need to go back to Keeping the Peace 101

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'll be honest, I fucking love seeing cops doing some baller shit. Even if it's just a PIT maneuver on someone fleeing arrest.

The trick to cops is you have to put them next to someone who's easier to hate. Like a drunk driver, or a pedophile. Nobody ever watched Dateline and hated on those cops.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote:
    I'll be honest, I fucking love seeing cops doing some baller shit. Even if it's just a PIT maneuver on someone fleeing arrest.

The trick to cops is you have to put them next to someone who's easier to hate. Like a drunk driver, or a pedophile. Nobody ever watched Dateline and hated on those cops.

No Tox. They're cops, so they're fundamentally terrible. Haven't you been following along?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I mean, look, there's a vocal minority of shitty cops out there. They aren't the real problem, though. The real problem is the overwhelming majority of LEOs that toe the thin blue line. Then there's the good cops, and nobody talks about them, because the really good cops don't last long, because they refuse to toe the thin blue line.

You're in the service, godmode, so you've got to know what I'm talking about. Every once in a while shit just gets swept under the rug, to keep the unit from looking bad. It's shitty, and more people need to do more to speak out when they see it, but it's the rule, not the exception.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Godmode you continue to miss the point.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote:
    Hey, I can post Youtube videos too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6WoghKZ8Q

e: I really wish I could find more videos of the good cops, but as was stated earlier, no one gives a shit about that. Everyone just wants to see them fucking up.

Because it is a cops job to protect and serve, by doing that they are living up to the expectations and if they go above and beyond (like in your video) I'm sure they get some sort of commendation/promotion/etc.

But when a cop doesn't live up to the expectations placed upon them (like that guy spraying the students) there is very rarely any punishment or retribution, likely just a few days forced vacation if that, and therein lies the problem.

Commendation for the good officers but no condemnation for the bad (at least within the confines of the police force itself)

digichuckarm2.png
This discussion has been closed.