As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all go post in the new STEAM thread and talk about Tom Clancy ♥

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    From Slickdeals: Amazon.com has Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II Gold Edition (PC Download) for $4.99. Activates on Steam.

EDIT: @Lawndart, your review of Chaos Rising is tempting me to scoop this up even though I am crap at RTS' and almost - almost! - always regret buying them.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote:
    From Slickdeals: Amazon.com has Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II Gold Edition (PC Download) for $4.99. Activates on Steam.

EDIT: @Lawndart, your review of Chaos Rising is tempting me to scoop this up even though I am crap at RTS' and almost - almost! - always regret buying them.

I, on the other hand, bought it within 20 seconds of reading that post and clicking that link. Even though I, equally, suck at RTS games.

steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Fortunately, DoW is a micro oriented RTS, rather than macro oriented like SC2

This means I can actually sort of play it without being out and out fucking terrible

Also the single player campaigns are so good you guys, seriously. It's worth well more than that price even if you never play multi ever

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Dawn of War II: Retribution is what you want for multiplayer, I think, because they moved away from GFWL and you can't play with everyone if you have DoWII/Chaos Rising.

• lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    I just got Sins of a Solar Empire now that it's on Steam, does anyone know if Sins mods work with the Steam version? I'm assuming no but would be delighted to hear a yes.

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    So let me get this straight.

I buy Sins of a Solar Empire because it's supposed to be an awesome space strategy game.

First thing that comes up when I hit Play...

xmRPBl.jpg

WTF? No seriously, WTF?! Fuck stardock in the eye. So I begrudgingly make an account...

0Dqb5l.jpg

VSi9Kl.jpg

So I just flushed 15 bucks down the toilet?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yes, if something doesn't work the first time it will never work ever at all forever.

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    So the last couple days saw me beating Rush, Edge, and Ben There Dan THat/Time Gentlemen.

Rush and Edge are two fun games.

Rush is a puzzler where you place "signs" and cubes spawn and follow them. You are guiding them to their specific exits. Fun, challenging, and it looks pretty nice.

Edge is a platforming game where you are a cube and are navigating through obstacle courses. Really beautiful and some fun things happen (like your cube being put into a robot made of other cubes), but the game was too easy.

I liked both BTDT/TGP, but I enjoyed BTDT more. I thought TGP fell into that adventure game trap where it wants you to do something without giving you a real clue. This lead to a lot of trial and error, which is annoying enough...BUT when every time you take an action, ben and dan have to talk for 20 seconds? Really annoying. I ended up guiding my way through last bit just to get done with it.

camo_sig2.png
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Yes, if something doesn't work the first time it will never work ever at all forever.

Its annoying because it's shitty user experience.

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    When did Steam start allowing Stardock drm on there? Isn't that like... a new thing?

steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    xraydog wrote:

I agree with both of these statements. It's silly to say you wasted your money because it's not working right away, but it IS a disgustingly lousy user experience which shows a total disregard for the customer.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    xraydog wrote:

I agree with both of these statements. It's silly to say you wasted your money because it's not working right away, but it IS a disgustingly lousy user experience which shows a total disregard for the customer.

Personally, I feel that the more useless, one time user accounts I have to create to actually play the game I just paid for, the more I enjoy the game. I can't wait for Grand Theft Auto V so that in addition to Steam I can sign up for Games for Windows Live, Rockstar Social Club, StarDock, Origin, SecuROM Validator, Punkbuster, Valve Anti-Cheat Service, Warden, and Martha Stewart Living.com

Jumping through fucking ridiculous hoops is like a metagame before the actual game, and I can't get enough of it!

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    xraydog wrote:

Personally, I feel that the more useless, one time user accounts I have to create to actually play the game I just paid for, the more I enjoy the game. I can't wait for Grand Theft Auto V so that in addition to Steam I can sign up for Games for Windows Live, Rockstar Social Club, StarDock, Origin, SecuROM Validator, Punkbuster, Valve Anti-Cheat Service, Warden, and Martha Stewart Living.com

Jumping through fucking ridiculous hoops is like a metagame before the actual game, and I can't get enough of it!

It's like we're the same person!

JtgVX0H.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Saints Row 3 missed a major opportunity for hilarity by not making me sign up for marthastewartliving.com before allowing me to play.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    Has anyone played Jurassic Park yet? What do you think? How does it play?

Do you like QTEs? Because Jurassic Park is completely QTEs. This liveblog may be of further assistance.

edited November 2011
    Frem wrote:

Do you like QTEs? Because Jurassic Park is completely QTEs. This liveblog may be of further assistance.

I do enjoy QTEs, when they aren't in the middle of my FPS's, at least. And, you know, dinosaurs!

Oh, and yeah, I read about the Telltale employee thing. Doesn't really bother me. I'm glad they like their game, since they generally have good taste.

minor incident on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    [quote="
    I liked both BTDT/TGP, but I enjoyed BTDT more. I thought TGP fell into that adventure game trap where it wants you to do something without giving you a real clue. This lead to a lot of trial and error, which is annoying enough...BUT when every time you take an action, ben and dan have to talk for 20 seconds? Really annoying. I ended up guiding my way through last bit just to get done with it.[/quote]

Isn't that the point of the game? I clicked on every combination of things that I could think of.

steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote:

I do enjoy QTEs, when they aren't in the middle of my FPS's, at least. And, you know, dinosaurs!

Eh. Watch Giant Bomb's quick look too. It's.. tedious. I don't know if its because of Sony's stupid symbol-based buttons, or what, but it just felt like it wasn't enjoyable.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited November 2011
    Athenor wrote:
    Frem wrote:

Eh. Watch Giant Bomb's quick look too. It's.. tedious. I don't know if its because of Sony's stupid symbol-based buttons, or what, but it just felt like it wasn't enjoyable.

On that note, I hate QTEs on Sony consoles. Even after a dozen+ years, my brain just isn't wired to remember the positions of those symbols. I have no problem with ABXY or qwerty/mouse layouts, but the Sony symbols always take a couple seconds to register with me. It's just one level of abstraction too far.

That said, I loved Heavy Rain, Shenmue, and Indigo Prophecy, and I love Jurassic Park, so I'm guessing I'll enjoy the game.

minor incident on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    xraydog wrote:

Uh, what?

Compared to basically any other DRM scheme Stardock's has a better user experience. So if by an "experience which shows a total disregard for the customer" you mean "a system that is actually less restrictive than the digital download service you just purchased it from," I wholeheartedly agree.

When did Steam start allowing Stardock drm on there? Isn't that like... a new thing?

Well, given that Sins is the first Stardock game on Steam, there's really no precedent either way.

Alecthar on
    edited November 2011
    @Alecthar - Aside from the fact that it didn't even activate, requiring him to contact their customer support, I view any DRM that requires you to create a user account with some publisher that you'll likely never use again (and if so, only to access ANOTHER game you've bought) as decidedly worse than Steam's DRM that actually allows me to play games I buy right away, without having to jump through hoops first. Especially when it's stacked _on top_ of Steam's already perfectly serviceable DRM.

It's bad enough I have to sign up for Ubisoft's, and Rockstar's, and EA's, etc. each additional one is just more and more obnoxious.

minor incident on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote:
    [quote="
    I liked both BTDT/TGP, but I enjoyed BTDT more. I thought TGP fell into that adventure game trap where it wants you to do something without giving you a real clue. This lead to a lot of trial and error, which is annoying enough...BUT when every time you take an action, ben and dan have to talk for 20 seconds? Really annoying. I ended up guiding my way through last bit just to get done with it.

Isn't that the point of the game? I clicked on every combination of things that I could think of.[/quote]

I guess I prefer the Broken Sword quick one or two line quip rather than the long, drawn out humor in TGP. I didn't find it as annoying in BTDT because I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out what I was supposed to do.

camo_sig2.png
    Alecthar wrote:
    xraydog wrote:

Uh, what?

Compared to basically any other DRM scheme Stardock's has a better user experience. So if by an "experience which shows a total disregard for the customer" you mean "a system that is actually less restrictive than the digital download service you just purchased it from," I wholeheartedly agree.

The problem with Sins on Steam is that the authentication doesn't work. There is a workaround here, but this shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. If you're going to release a game that requires authentication you better damn well make sure the authentication works.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    On that note, I hate QTEs on Sony consoles. Even after a dozen+ years, my brain just isn't wired to remember the positions of those symbols. I have no problem with ABXY or qwerty/mouse layouts, but the Sony symbols always take a couple seconds to register with me. It's just one level of abstraction too far.

This. The QTE's in the combat parts of Prince of Persia caused me to rage more than I ever have at a game or possibly anything. To the extent that I actually broke my PS3 controller by throwing it as hard as I could at the floor. Not one of my proudest moments. I was really enjoying the platforming elements of Prince of Persia, but I will never go back and finish it because I cannot deal with the QTE combat.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    xraydog wrote:
    So let me get this straight.

I buy Sins of a Solar Empire because it's supposed to be an awesome space strategy game.

First thing that comes up when I hit Play...

xmRPBl.jpg

WTF? No seriously, WTF?! Fuck stardock in the eye. So I begrudgingly make an account...

0Dqb5l.jpg

VSi9Kl.jpg

So I just flushed 15 bucks down the toilet?

Wow. That is pretty bush-league.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Swing and a miss Stardock. This sorta shit helping ya after Elemental and the Impulse dealios.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    It should be noted though that you can play Sins without registering, you just dont get all the benefits like the patches and stuff. I think anyway, Ive never really looked into it.

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    It should be noted though that you can play Sins without registering, you just dont get all the benefits like the patches and stuff. I think anyway, Ive never really looked into it.

Wouldn't you get the patches automagically due to it being on Steam?

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    QTEs are only bad when they're shoehorned poorly into games in such a way that it is not obvious they are going to occur or what you're supposed to do beforehand, creating a forced artificial "difficulty" which only stems from not explaining the rules of the game to you beforehand.

If the experience is built around them, such as Shenmue or Heavy Rain, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Something's up with that whole registration thing,a s there have been plenty of people in this thread who have bought Sins and this is the first time issues have been mentioned.

Did you already own it on Stardock and didn't delete it first or something?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Wouldn't you get the patches automagically due to it being on Steam?

You should, so Im not really seeing a downside. Maybe you cant play online? I forget.

Athenor wrote:
    Something's up with that whole registration thing,a s there have been plenty of people in this thread who have bought Sins and this is the first time issues have been mentioned.

Did you already own it on Stardock and didn't delete it first or something?

For people like me who bought sins for the first time because of steam, we need to create an account for stardock. The link in startup to create an account? That link gives you the error that xraydog got. I had to go to the stardock store and pretend to buy something in order top make a stardock account. Conveniently, they don't have a "create a stardock account" button at stardock.com

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Sure am glad I resisted the temptation to re-purchase SoaSE then. I was really hoping they had stripped all that nonsense out.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    As asstastic as Stardock's Impulse worked, I didn't expect anything but the best when it came to Steam, so I steered clear. See, like an idiot, I bought DemiGod a while ago, and the lovely Impulse likes to not let you install due to there being an Impulse update that it will fail to install, thus preventing you from installing your game. Their forums had people complaining about it for years. Was grand, but eventually, doing it over and over, got it to somehow work. But, I've not updated it since GameStop bought it, so I'm afraid to try it now.

50433.png?1708759015
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote:
    As asstastic as Stardock's Impulse worked, I didn't expect anything but the best when it came to Steam, so I steered clear. See, like an idiot, I bought DemiGod a while ago, and the lovely Impulse likes to not let you install due to there being an Impulse update that it will fail to install, thus preventing you from installing your game. Their forums had people complaining about it for years. Was grand, but eventually, doing it over and over, got it to somehow work. But, I've not updated it since GameStop bought it, so I'm afraid to try it now.

For what its worth I haven't had any issues with Sins since Gamestop took over Impulse.

So eh.

I briefly wished my boxed Sins would register on steam but then I remembered I bought both xpacks via impulse so that wouldn't work...and then I read about the issues with the game on steam.

Sucks, since I only use Impulse for Sins and literally nothing else, but whatever. It's certainly not worth buying again on steam if it still requires you to register with stardock and such. If they remove that silliness I might consider buying Trinity on Steam down the road when it is crazy cheap.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Just installed the Steam version of Sins, no issues.... I never got bothered about the stardock activation, game just worked when I hit play

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Maddoc wrote:

This means I can actually sort of play it without being out and out fucking terrible

Also the single player campaigns are so good you guys, seriously. It's worth well more than that price even if you never play multi ever

But I can't get a 1 on 1 game going. The community is just not there. The SP is a great campaign though.

But yes, DoW2 is so micro heavy it's almost like an action RTS game. This gives it a more fun kind of frantic feeling.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:

Dawn of War 2 is micro oriented, Dawn of War 1 is very much macro

But I actually feel completely the opposite way! Dawn of War 2 is so micro-oriented, much like StarCraft 2, that I feel like I can't play it at all, and I don't get the satisfaction from moving a handful of units around that I get from ordering a big massive horde of guys to attack like I got in DoW1

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    DoW1 still has a bunch of micro to do well, I think, from juggling your commander units, loads and loads of per-squad abilities, reinforcements, and all that other stuff. DoW2 is pretty stripped down and bare in a lot of regards. I think Starcraft beats them both in extreme micro-ing, if only because of the huge metagame that had spawned.

Really, the least micro-intensive game I can think of is probably the Supreme Commander games, where sending hundreds of units at a time into a meat grinder isn't necessarily a faulty tactic.

Zxerol on
    Zxerol wrote:
    DoW1 still has a bunch of micro to do well, I think, from juggling your commander units, loads and loads of per-squad abilities, reinforcements, and all that other stuff. DoW2 is pretty stripped down and bare in a lot of regards. I think Starcraft beats them both in extreme micro-ing, if only because of the huge metagame that had spawned.

Really, the least micro-intensive game I can think of is probably the Supreme Commander games, where sending hundreds of units at a time into a meat grinder isn't necessarily a faulty tactic.

And in Supreme Commander you can use two screens which is, like... the future