As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

11/19/11, 5:00 EST - The Republican Social Values [Debate], now with 600% more Wingnut!

KanaKana Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to the 579th republican debate thread at Penny Arcade. Tonight it's the "Thanksgiving Family Forum – A Family Discussion with the Republican Candidates” the candidates are debating in the First Federated Church, at Des Moines, Iowa, over social values. Well, supposedly it's not a debate, it's a "discussion", but obviously it's a debate.
Yes, that's right, they're in a church, in Iowa, in a debate sponsored by CitizenLink (the family advocacy arm of Focus on the Family) and the National Organization for Marriage. But wait, there's more! The moderator will be Frank Luntz, Republican establishment pollster and Fox News contributor. I hope you like your red meat, because this one's gonna be straight off the bone and bloody.

But wait, you say! I do enjoy listening to republicans blaming gay people for their own lack of monogamy, but I'm still not sure if this debate is going to be quite crazy enough! Please, isn't there anything else?

Of course! Tonight there will be no Huntsman or Romney! Romney because he probably doesn't want to alienate general election voters, and Huntsman because he hasn't yet sold his basic human dignity. So it's gonna be all wingnut all night! 100% pure, unadulterated crazypants!

Defending the sanctity of marriage tonight are:

Bachmanns.jpg
Michelle Bachmann. Her husband has mentioned the natural curiosity that all male teens have about homosexuality, and that we simply have to repress those fabulous desires and marry a beard instead. Or, err, open a gay-rehabilitation clinic. Right. Repress repress repress. Please don't point out to Mrs. Bachmann that her husband is totally gay.

s-HERMAN-CAIN-WOMEN-large300.jpg
Herman Cain has been accused of sexual misconduct by 6 different women! Tonight we find out why it's all part of the homosexual conspiracy against former pizza magnates.

450x351-alg_texas_rick-perry.jpg
Rick Perry married his elementary school(!) sweetheart and they've been married for almost 30 years. Unfortunately he's probably going to forget her name in this debate. He's also executed a couple dudes in Texas who were probably innocent, which is not going to be mentioned tonight.

santorum1-300x208.jpg
Rick Santorum is an a-hole, and I have no idea what's going on in this picture. He's been voted "most likely to get arrested picking up a gay prostitute" for the last 10 years running.

Gingrich-Cartoon.jpg
Newt Gingrich loves heterosexual marriage so much he's been married 3 times. And he's an admitted adulterer. He's also a converted Roman Catholic. Supposedly.

Gosh, you're probably saying, this debate sounds like a giant orgy of hypocrisy! Why would I willingly subject myself to this?
ron_paul_ap.jpg
This is Ron Paul. He's gonna be at the debates too. Everyone is going to hate him and he doesn't give a shit.
He may look like a garden gnome, he may not understand how the Fed works, and he would wreck the economy if he were ever elected.
But he's still television gold. Expect the moderator to try to pretend he doesn't exist.

There's a couple ways to watch:
It'll supposedly show up on the front page of citizenlink.com
It'll also get streamed from Facebook.com/CitizenLink
And the audio will be streamed on http://www.bottradionetwork.com/

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
Kana on

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Kana wrote:
    There's a couple ways to watch:
    It'll supposedly show up on the front page of citizenlink.com
    It'll also get streamed from Facebook.com/CitizenLink
    And the audio will be streamed on http://www.bottradionetwork.com/
    The drinking game will be played by many.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    The Santorum picture is from his press conference after losing 58-42 in 2006, which beat Mike DeWine of Ohio by 4 points for the biggest losing margin for an incumbent Senator that year.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Ah shit, I have to go to work during this.

All because I had to switch days with someone too. fffffff

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    The Santorum picture is from his press conference after losing 58-42 in 2006, which beat Mike DeWine of Ohio by 4 points for the biggest losing margin for an incumbent Senator that year.

it also showcases his strange and frumpy looking family

• KanaKana Registered User regular

Seriously, they look like the cast of a SNL skit

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    I promised myself to not watch any debates until primary season kicks up for the sake of my sanity.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I'm excited to the see the end result of "Race to the Crazy!"

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    DoctorArch wrote:
    I'm excited to the see the end result of "Race to the Crazy!"

I'm excited to see Newt Gingrich talk about religion and try to keep a straight face. But honestly I'm not sure how long I'll be able to stand this debate, it may well be TOO crazy for me to stomach.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011

Are you kidding me? His son caught the golden snitch for Griffindor. That kid is awesome!

Deebaser on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    VIdeo stream http://www.citizenlink.com/: Crazy guy talking right now.

"There's a reason Iowa goes first"

Yeah right, you people SO didn't go 300 miles.

Oh man I'm already getting creeped out.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    No gotcha questions to make people look bad! Yaaaaaay!

Holy Shit, did he just call out Perry?

Oh lord, he's already doing the pollster thing

That quality of life question would be more meaningful if the average age in that church wasn't 65.

GASP, not occupy wall street!

He's calling up a protestor or something. huh

edited November 2011
    ....What the fuck is going on?

Oh great, he's not even an OWS protester, he's a Ron Paulie

EDIT: Yeup, a Paulie. I'M SO UNCOMFORTABLE RIGHT NOW

Kana on
    A Paul guy is talking.

I wasn't listening, he just said Nevada and Fedreal Reserve. SO I have no idea what hesaid.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Haha, Bachmann is serving the men. This is going great.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Oh yeesh, Frank Luntz? Prepare your fluffiest of softballs!

Michelle Bachmann is pouring water for all the other candidates.

And we're starting out with Ron Paul. This is weird.

Ron Paul immediately switches to talking about the constitution. These are so not his people.

The first question is about So help me god. This is going to be hilarious.

The George Washington thing is apparently a myth.

That George Washington story about "so help me god" is a myth, btw.

Ron Paul: God loves the Constitution.

Cain: Man, I could have used God's help during that Libya question, but he'll totally help me out as President.

Bachmann: KISS THE BIBLE!

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kana wrote:

This is America. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Perry's showing up high again.

edited November 2011
    Ahahahaha Perry just said he's been "driven to his knees multiple times as Governor"

Yes, I am 12 years old.

Fencingsax on
    Perry: God wanted me to kill those innocent dudes.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    So god gives us rights but we can't do what we want with those rights because he has law.

So what's the point of rights if they are not....right?

Santorum: Unlike Islam, where civil law has to agree with religious law, in America, civil law has to agree with religious law.

Santorum says that Islam has only religious law, and then his followup implies that he thinks that's really the way to go.

As long as abortion is legal in this country we shall have no rest.

Hahahah. Moderator asked Santorum where god was when he lost.

You know, when I say that God told me to whip my dick out on the subway, I'm called crazy.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I've said it before but as far as missing the whole 'Separation of Church and State' thing goes, this whole 'discussion' is meta. as. fuck.

Lawndart wrote:
    Santorum: Unlike Islam, where civil law has to agree with religious law, in America, civil law has to agree with religious law.

I love when the fundies try to hate on Islam for being fundamentalist.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    Kana wrote:

This is America. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Works for religion as well, as evidenced by the current GOP crop. God damn parallels.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    Gingrich wants religious loyalty tests for teachers. Oh, that's so Constitutional.

Gingrich: all teachers must be religious and love jesus

So Gingrich, how do you square the old-school religious schooling with, y'know, Jim Crow?