As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Onmitsu wrote:
    So I'm debating as either going as Dr. Wily or Megaman in their Protomen incarnations...

Wily would be easier (I need just a nice suit and tie and hat and facepaint and swagger, the former of which can be obtained cheaply from thrift stores and costume supply stores, the latter of which I have naturally), but Megaman would be more iconic and easily identifiable. I am poor as dirt however, so I'm hoping to find some way to do that Megaman costume as cheaply as possible.
    Basic design is a mishmash of what a lot of other people have done -- some kind of blue vest (double breasted if I can find it, single if I can't), lighter blue dress shirt, dark blue slacks, boots, some assortment of belts and things with pockets (because fuck yeah pockets!) and a black trenchcoat over it all, with the iconic helmet and gun. Biggest hangups are... well, helmet and gun (the rest is thrift shoppable)
    Other suggestions are also welcome (I've seen the costume done with a leather jacket instead, or just "dress like Panther")

The arm cannon can be done fairly inexpensively if you want to go with the PVC route, just be warned that PVC is fairly heavy so you need to be ready to lug that around a con. For the helmet, motorcycle helmets are pretty standard but you might be able to get a plastic something or other that fits the bill. Wily is pretty identifiable, btw, if you do the Protomen Incarnation of him. The suit and W on the face will make you right recognizable :)
    Cheap Megaman is quite doable depending on your skill level and the availability of a sewing machine:
    1.) Shirt - http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-View-Patterns-Western-Pattern/dp/B0018IPG5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320042091&sr=8-1
    This pattern is god tier for what you need. It fits almost perfectly with the Protomen layout. I modified the bib on mine to join to the shirt via snaps instead of buttons for a better look and also extended the bottom of the bib down to the hem of the shirt so it'd look right. I'm kinda tempted to make another one in black with the proper red trim so I can have a band style shirt to wear to any bar concerts. El Corazon in my Megaman get up damn near killed me due to the sheer heat.

2.) Pants - A standard pattern for some slacks and the same blue fabric you used on your shirt will do the job nicely.

3.) Arm Cannon - My Mark 1 cannon was made out of a Nerf Maverick, a Nerf Vulcan EBF-25, and some PVC. The Vulcan is kinda spendy though. My Mark 2, however, is being made out of a Nerf Barricade, a Nerf Recon, and I'm undecided about the arm mount. The PVC works but it doesn't really look all that awesome. I want something more robotic looking. I'm suspecting I may end up stealing some sheet metal off of one of the boats in the fleet.

4.) Helmet - My Mark 1 helmet was a motorcycle helmet I got on the cheapside from leatherup.com, but an even cheaper method exists by handforming one out of cardboard and then coating it with Bondo. Once the Bondo hardens you can sand it down for a nice smooth appearance. This is how I plan to make my Mark 2 helmet since I want to go for a tighter fitting, more badass looking helmet this time. My Mark 1 helmet was a tad big and after getting a good look at the band's helmet, I realized there was basically no padding inside so if you go the motorcycle helmet route, opt for a smaller helmet and then rip the insulation out. The crest on my helmet was made out of craft foam coated in modeling clay.

5.) Coat - The coat you'll have to find a pattern for. I cheated and bought a rifle coat from the Gentlemen's Emporium. It's an amazingly badass coat and really good quality but as you might imagine it's also $Texas. If you need advice/help feel free to shoot me a PM. I posted a bunch of pictures in the 2011 Pax Prime Costume thread if you wanna flip through it to get an idea of what I did.

6.) Boots - I bought some polyvinyl boots from the Gentlemen's Emporium and died them blue using Angelus Leather Dye. There are better dye options available but the Meletonian Nu-Life dye I SHOULD have used couldn't be shipped to where I live. Surprisingly, the Angelus stuff held up amazingly well so it is a potential option, though it will take a ton of coats to finish the boots up. (The boots turned out to be amazingly comfy once I tossed a set of inserts into them).

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/129084/pax-prime-costumes-2011#Item_614 This thread contains a bunch of picture spam relating to the formation of my Megaman costume.

Oh my gosh, this information is all pure gold. It's a shame I don't have a sewing machine, because yeah, that shirt is perfect. My friend and I are thinking of doing Proto and Megaman (Friend's the tall one, so he's Protoman). I'll see what I can get done / if I can find sewing machine access.

I might be skipping out on the coat and doing some armor instead, because my friend has access to an armor shop, and we figure we can make craft foam greaves, bracers, and shoulder guards pretty easily.

*E* And I also already own three lovely trenchcoats. One's nylon, but I figure since it's technically a dystopian future that'd be acceptable. The other one will only fit my friend, but it's real canvas, and honestly the color (brown) makes it better for Protoman anyway.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • MikimoMikimo Registered User new member
    First time PAX-er! Going as Ezio from Assassin's Creed. Might have some other assassins with our group... And possibly a red spy... :o

• kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    i'm another one who hasn't been here since last years paxE. just found out they have tickets up for sale, so i decided to wonder on through. i am stoked to cosplay this year. i thought i was done cosplaying (i'm getting way too old to be doing this stuff) but then i started playing this game last week and thought: i want to do that! so now i'm obsessing over how to put the outfit together. it's something that, in my internet research, i've never seen anyone do.

if i pull it off, it'll be way rad.

• ChaosLightChaosLight Registered User regular
    Lokiale wrote:
    ChaosLight wrote:
    First timer here. I'll be going as "guy in homemade chainmail shirt." I might get myself a foam pickaxe and some other accessories and be 'high-rez minecraft Steve.'

Any chance of doing button-mail? I know I've seen some people put their buttons to armor use before.

While I probably could, it would take a long time. Took me a year and about two thousand feet of wire to do what I have now, and I have no idea where to get buttons wholesale.

Besides, my next project, apart from making some lanyards for my group, will be full-on scale mail with an inlay.

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    That sounds incredible, @chaoslight ! I'll make sure to take a picture of your hard work at the convention.

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    ChaosLight wrote:
    Lokiale wrote:
    ChaosLight wrote:
    First timer here. I'll be going as "guy in homemade chainmail shirt." I might get myself a foam pickaxe and some other accessories and be 'high-rez minecraft Steve.'

Any chance of doing button-mail? I know I've seen some people put their buttons to armor use before.

While I probably could, it would take a long time. Took me a year and about two thousand feet of wire to do what I have now, and I have no idea where to get buttons wholesale.

Besides, my next project, apart from making some lanyards for my group, will be full-on scale mail with an inlay.
    purebuttons.com is where the buttoneers get their buttons by the hundreds.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • SlayerPathSlayerPath Registered User regular
    Planning to reuse my Ghost outfit from MW2, as well as debating on doing some new costumes such as Mr. Benson from Regular Show or Thomas Bangaltar from Daft Punk. Either way, my body is ready.

• TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    Looking for: 300 physically fit men to dress up as Spartans
    Goal: To form giant phalanx in the heart of the convention center Boston.
    If 300 men is not feasible, 10+ should do the trick.
    This is the way I want to die. Sign me up.

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    Looking for: 300 physically fit men to dress up as Spartans
    Goal: To form giant phalanx in the heart of the convention center Boston.
    If 300 men is not feasible, 10+ should do the trick.

You know what? Throw me the details on this. I'm interested.
    Any excuse to wear a leather thong, you know?

• kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    SlayerPath wrote:
    debating on doing some new costumes such as Mr. Benson from Regular Show or Thomas Bangaltar from Daft Punk.

oOoOoOoOo.... i've been cosplaying as thomas bangalter for the past few years. it's a great costume to make!!

ChaosLight wrote:
    Lokiale wrote:
    ChaosLight wrote:

purebuttons.com is where the buttoneers get their buttons by the hundreds.

Oh god, I've fallen into a deep black pit of costume ideas. So many pins... must make The World Ends With You outfit...

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I love everyones costume ideas and really want to make one but I don't think mine will be up to par with everyone else'

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Last year my friends and myself were planning on going as the Castle Crashers. Unfortunately we had to leave before the keynote even occurred due to a loss in one of my friend's families. However, that doesn't mean we didn't complete the costumes!

227953_1579748872119_1787580853_1011253_8139274_n.jpg
    And for comparison (Even though I'm sure most of you know what he looks like):
    Blue_Castle_Crasher_by_senbei.png

It's really difficult to take a picture of yourself, especially using a webcam, but you get the gist of it at least.

This year we were thinking maybe we'd do Men in Black just for an excuse to wear suits and sunglasses OR making a cheesy, tiny, cardboard, army jeep, getting orange jumpsuits, and going as the convicts from Dead Rising while blasting Gone Guru. The concept of being cramped into a tiny cardboard jeep together sounds miserable though.

If all goes wrong we're just going to reuse our CC costumes.

General Pengwin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    First time PAXer going as Arkham City Riddler, may even make a Riddler Trophy to carry around, but that could get annoying.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    I found a trench-coat that looks exactly like Bigby's from Fables (my avatar)! Impossible for me not to cosplay as him now. Guess this means no more dying my hair so it's brown for PAX... /sigh

• LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote:
    First time PAXer going as Arkham City Riddler, may even make a Riddler Trophy to carry around, but that could get annoying.

If you get tired of carrying it, you can give it to me... I'll trade you for one of my limited cosplay give-aways... :)

edited November 2011
    LordGimmik wrote:
    MrDapper wrote:

If you get tired of carrying it, you can give it to me... I'll trade you for one of my limited cosplay give-aways... :)

Cool, I'll probably do it then, how would I find you?

I warn you, I am not the best craftsman.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
  • LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    MrDapper wrote:
    LordGimmik wrote:
    MrDapper wrote:

Cool, I'll probably do it then, how would I find you?

I warn you, I am not the best craftsman.

Good thing we both have 5 months to tinker with our crafts. :) I'll send you a PM with my cosplay. I'm keeping it hush hush for time time-being, so don't spill the beans please. I'll be attending several PAX social events, and there is talk of a cosplayers meetup, so I imagine finding you won't be difficult.

For anyone else doing crafts - I will be bringing lots of "small" giveaways that anybody can have, and very few "high quality" cosplay craft items for trade or to give to select friends (or Wil Wheaton.)

LordGimmik on
    Gameshark wrote:
    I found a trench-coat that looks exactly like Bigby's from Fables (my avatar)! Impossible for me not to cosplay as him now. Guess this means no more dying my hair so it's brown for PAX... /sigh
    I feel your pain withthe non-hair dying. I dyed a thick strip of my red hair violet last year. Sadly I think neither Commander Shepard or Spartan Kelly would do purple hair dye.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Gameshark wrote:
    I feel your pain withthe non-hair dying. I dyed a thick strip of my red hair violet last year. Sadly I think neither Commander Shepard or Spartan Kelly would do purple hair dye.

does this mean you'll be a red-headed shepard? my femshep is red-haired and it would make me extremely happy to see her strolling around pax!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    Gameshark wrote:

Fables is AWESOME. I'm looking forward to seeing this, so I'm going to say it's definitely worth it!

• LoweryiLoweryi Registered User regular
    I changed my mind about my cosplays again! I'm still going as a Lone Wanderer but on the second day I'm definitely going to be Lilith from Borderlands.
    (Pics of my Lone Wanderer getup under the spoiler)
    fallout_photoshoot_4_by_loweryi-d4dsizs.jpg
    fallout_photoshoot_6_by_loweryi-d4dsj2c.jpg

• RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    Might go as Fionna from Adventure Time for one day, sans sword. I already dressed up as her for Halloween and got a good response from those who knew what Adventure Time was (sadly little)

tvethiopia wrote:
    Gameshark wrote:

does this mean you'll be a red-headed shepard? my femshep is red-haired and it would make me extremely happy to see her strolling around pax!
    Yes, I am a natural red-head, so there will be a red-headed FemShep walking around. Not in armor though. I'm not that talented. Just in a Normandy SV1 blue crew uniform, and an Alliance grey and black uniform.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • MissAlchiapMissAlchiap CTRegistered User new member
    Hey I am going as Daisy from Mario Brothers.

;D

I was wondering what would be the best day to cosplay? Or should I just do all three days?

• MissAlchiapMissAlchiap CTRegistered User new member
    This is my first time I will be attending Pax

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    MissAlchiap: Whatever you want. I typically plan to go in costume for all three days, and I usually get sick of it and go in street clothes on Sunday. I think that most people dress up all day.

The best days would be Friday and Saturday, though, and I'd suggest Saturday if you don't want to do all three days.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
    So my costume does not go well bags, but I also want to buy many things. What should I do?

2ohWien.png
  • General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    MrDapper wrote:
    So my costume does not go well bags, but I also want to buy many things. What should I do?
    You're the Riddler. Just sneak around carrying a sac with a dollar sign crudely painted on it. But you have to do an overexagerated sneaking motion. :P

steam_sig.png
    No, it's gotta be a question mark.

2ohWien.png
  • riathewolfriathewolf Registered User regular
    This will be my first time attending (soooo excited). Currently working on two costumes to bring with me. The Warden (human mage version) from Dragon Age and Fem version of Cole MacGrath from InFamous.

MrDapper wrote:
    No, it's gotta be a question mark.

Touche.

steam_sig.png
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    Gameshark wrote:
    Aha! Our damn first world problems. Thing is, I've been steadily working up the courage to get some funky dye in my hair... I can't let those months of building courage go to waste! I'll most likely just dye my hair back to brown before PAX. (Especially if I hate what happens to my hair.)
    ChaosLight wrote:
    Fables is AWESOME. I'm looking forward to seeing this, so I'm going to say it's definitely worth it!
    Yeah! I'm actually curious to see how many people recognize it.

Total derailment: I'm currently reading the Fables novel Peter & Max and I knew Bigby did some bad stuff pre-Amnesty to make people hate him... but wow, I now understand why. Still cosplaying as him though.
    I was wondering what would be the best day to cosplay? Or should I just do all three days?
    Not a pro cosplayer by any means, but Saturday is the 'big' day. So if your goal is to have a ton of people see it, Saturday.

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Stage Two: Measurements - DONE

I wrote the measurements down for the yellow Angry Bird costume, but I ran into a slight snag...

I suck at Geometry.

Could someone on here help me figure out the area of fabric I will need, as well as the size of each panel? PM me.

I got the help of one of my friends who actually has some experience in electronics and he's gonna teach me how to solder, so now my Riddler trophy will actually light up!

2ohWien.png
    Gameshark wrote:
    Aha! Our damn first world problems. Thing is, I've been steadily working up the courage to get some funky dye in my hair... I can't let those months of building courage go to waste! I'll most likely just dye my hair back to brown before PAX. (Especially if I hate what happens to my hair.)
    I bought the Avatar(I think) brand of temp dye. The color was Shocking Berry Purple, or something like that.
    it was a deep vibrant purple that was supposed to wash out in 3-4 shampoos/washings. Little tip though, if you bleach a strip of your hair then temp dye it, the dye will NOT WASH OUT COMPLETELY.
    So, be sure your job doesn't mind off colored hair. I had to find a dye close to my natural red color to cover it up, because my bleached strip the purple faded to pink.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    ChaosLight wrote:
    Yeah! I'm actually curious to see how many people recognize it.

Total derailment: I'm currently reading the Fables novel Peter & Max and I knew Bigby did some bad stuff pre-Amnesty to make people hate him... but wow, I now understand why. Still cosplaying as him though.

I've been considering getting that. I take it you'd recommend?

I've been trying to think up something iconic from a fantasy game or movie to go with my chainmail. Anyone have any tips for making a foam Green Glass Claymore?

• ErickaJoErickaJo MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    This is my 3rd Pax East, and I'm thinking about cosplaying for the first time.

I want to get a costume together for Val Bronzebottom from PVP. I just love the heck out of this character since Scott introduced her. http://www.pvponline.com/2011/10/26/swing-and-a-prayer/ -good shot of her
    http://www.pvponline.com/2011/10/17/best-behavior/ -her intro.

Concerns: her hammer, for one. I plan on doing the head in styrofoam, and I don't imagine I could successfully bludgeon your grandmother with what I have in mind, but I'm keeping that in mind while designing.

And I'm not exactly dwarfish, but I think I'll get the point across. ;)

• LittleLinkLittleLink Registered User new member
    Change of plans, Doing Big Sister and link, no more Fatal frame stuff though, Waaaaay too many costumes to make this year already, don't need to add more.

• mirrimmirrim Registered User new member
    I don't have anything, but my 2 year old has a kickin ewok costume. I am tempted to throw together a quick camoflaged Leia to go with it. The outfit would be easy, the helmet, not so much!